Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I mentioned this in the election thread but the real take away from this should be don't watch real time election results. That poo poo doesn't matter and serves to only stress you out and attract clicks.

America seems like a little less of a hell scape this morning so that's good. This is the first day I've been able to breath easy in like 3 years. That being said, 2020 is going to be nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
^^ Negative, always tweet dump.

sean10mm posted:

I don't think trying to extrapolate from here to 2022 is very helpful or meaningful honestly.

If the Democrats can drive up turnout in 2020 like they did in 2018 vs. a normal mid term, Trump gets his poo poo pushed in. Trying to look past that now is like trying to read chicken entrails to tell the future or something.

This is how I see it. It still was a +9? Vote for dems across the board, and I know that doesn't mean a whole lot, but it's not nothing. The wind is in the sails for the Ds.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

eke out posted:

yeah of course they're a lie

only independents are 43 percent favorable - but actually even more independents disapprove lol

I mean my now independent Co worker who hates trump disapproves of Mueller because she wants Trump in jail already.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

friendly 2 da void posted:

It's weird how slanted the national narrative is against the democrats. Here's an angle that I don't see enough of:

The democrats won the House for the first time since 2010. The Tea Party is loving over.

Like forget Trump for a minute, the house has been a disaster since Obama. That's all changing now.

For the first time in nearly a decade, the House Science Committee will be lead by a person who actually believes in climate science. Somethings happening yall :getin:

This is a good take I hadn't considered. Crazy how long it's been.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

the house is an irrelevant sideshow without the senate

it'll make some fun headlines and make some powerful people mildly uncomfortable before they use their money and influence to make it go away as always, which is really the best i can still hope for so whatever

the right wing has cemented their institutional lock on the american government, successfully decoupling their continued influence from the will of the voters, and the only real consolation is that this country's going to die screaming within our lifetimes just like everywhere else

This is some sad brains/nothing matters right here.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

Trumpism is stronger today than it was yesterday. And his chances of winning in 2020 are probably better too.

Dems had a minimum +7 probably +9 popular vote and Trump won because he won 3 states by 30k votes total. Beto nearly won in Texas with a 15 point swing against Cruz. You don't know what you're talking about.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
If there's an equal turnout and Trump wins 2020 while being -7 to -9 in the popular vote there's going to be riots. Not saying your analysis is wrong weasel but if that comes to pass, I know I'd be out on the streets.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Conceding is not legally binding.

No you see all we have to do is get a piece of paper in front of the president that reads "I retroactively concede the election." Bing bang boom, easy as pie!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like Jessie from Breaking Bad: "How does he keep getting away with this?"

I'm amazed at Trumps ability to both be and look, weak, pathetic and fragile, and some how not lose all the people who value an image of strength from the president. Like a big thing seems to be is that people like that Trump acts tough (somehow not seeing past what is usually just grandstanding rather then actual toughness) - but how do they ignore all these little things? Like as an outsider, he seems like a bigger embarrassment then Bush, yet the right act like he's stronger.

Because they never see the things that make them weak because they're insulated in a bubble.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

:agreed:

i hope they stick to it if the senate is won back, but I don't have a ton of faith. but at least passing bills like this is a first good step

Weirdly I wonder if there's an avenue to passing it if Trump interprets it as a way to stop something like Florida from happening again. Until someone grabs his ear anyway.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
If an anti-lgbt faction takes the speakership I might actually throw up. The thought is that nauseating to me.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 14, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Mineaiki posted:

Is that big challenger to Pelosi (can’t remember his name) a bigot? Serious question, by the way. I actually don’t know.

Someone posted a tweet before that the effort to derail Pelosi is from a centrist Dem coalition that wants to dump the pro-women/lgbt platforms.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Please God no.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

TulliusCicero posted:

This.

This worthless attempt at a coup seems to be exactly that.

How many votes do they need to unseat Pelosi?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Trump isn't doing anything unusual for Trump. He's raging on Twitter like he always does, and people have always said "oh that means something big is happening this week" and then 99 times out of 100 nothing happens.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Faustian Bargain posted:

In 2020, Trump is either going to win again or get hilariously destroyed. If he loses, the meltdown will be the most amazing thing.

My current theory is that he wins while losing the popular vote by about 7 points. Because we live in hell.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Considering that aside from Tim Ryan there appears to be no other candidate no not really.

What about Marcia Fudge? She was a name I saw a fair bit yesterday.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

She's the choice of the right wing of the Democratic caucus and is mostly known for being one of the only four democrats to oppose a gay rights bill. She would be a bad candidate.

That's why I'm concerned. :ohdear:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I don't really mind Pelosi in the position, but this is just a fundamentally bad take. Refusing to criticize Dems from the left because it gives an opening for others to criticize them from the right is a moronic losing strategy. In fact, criticizing Pelosi from the left is almost certainly what is [optimistically: emboldening her to; pessimistically: scaring her to] promise greater power to progressive members of the party.

The problem is progressives aren't ready to jump on and grab the speakership. Blue dogs are.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

VitalSigns posted:

Dan Lipinski represents IL-3, a D+6 district, there was no chance of it going GOP even without incumbency advantage.

He was the one running against the actual Illinois Nazi. Lipinski is also pretty openly anti-lgbt.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

The alternative was an actual Nazi you dummy.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I mean it's the worst dem vs the best repub argument again and we've already drawn our lines in the sand about that. I'd go to bat for the worst centrist over an actual Nazi every single time if those are the two options.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Terror Sweat posted:

This thinking gets the nazi elected in the next election

What's the alternative then? If your two options are vote for a centrist and vote for a Nazi, what do you do? Vote for the Nazi as a protest vote? Don't vote at all? I'd love if there was a better option available much like I'd love if there had been a better candidate than Hillary for 2016. But there wasn't, so you hold your nose and vote otherwise you get actual concentration camps and ICE raiding peoples workplaces on the orders of a corporation.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

oh, he was known poo poo already at that point. he was all for austerity out the wazoo when he was working under hollande, and he torpedoed the "democrats" of france

he's like if bloomberg ran as an independent. you know bloomberg is a shithead at this point.

If your two options in 2020 were Bloomberg (D) and Trump (R) who do you vote for?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Direct action.

Cool, let me know when that happens, because for as much as people say that, they sure as poo poo are comfortable sitting at home whining on the internet about purity.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

Yeah. I fear Biden since he's riding on Obama's coattails and clearly has the media backing him but Bloomberg is out of his mind if he thinks getting into the Democratic primary isn't going to result is absolute humiliation.

People said that about Trump too.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

are you gonna fault me for mocking people who :swoon: over a guy who talks about himself as if he were a god and who tries to rehabilitate actual nazis that betrayed their country?

I'm faulting you because you're making fun of people who were heaving a sigh of relief that they didn't elect their version of Trump over a year ago. Very different from them doing that today.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

You have to be joking unless you are implying the Democratic base is desperately wanting an out of touch racist billionaire to tell them that conservative economics is good.

Trump is a showman who said the quiet parts loud. Bloomberg is just an unfunny rear end in a top hat.

I don't discount anything at this point. vOv

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is the weirdest attempt at gaslighting. The tweets being made fun of are right there. They are not "sighs of relief". They're legitimate gushing over an oligarch toadie that 3/4 of his own country hates because he is an oligarch toadie making it easier for fascism to take hold

Okay, one: gently caress you for saying I'm gaslighting anyone. That's a lovely term and you know it.

Two: There's a difference between gushing and saying "we just elected the leader of the free world" because there was and still is a big vacuum of soft power because of Trump throwing a tantrum about America First/Alone, so at the time that wasn't an unrealistic thing to say. Saying he found a centrist path by being economically right and socially left is a stupid take, but hardly gushing. Saying US dems should find a Macron of their own: also not gushing!

People in this thread are so desperate for an own on the centrists they're creating them out of thin air where there isn't any. It's pathetic.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Koalas Massacre posted:

Wait do supposed liberal/left people actually argue that they should stop investigating Russia/Trump because uhhh

There's a ton of leftists I know that think that the Russia Investigation is a dead end and therefore should be dropped as an issue entirely in favor of more progressive policies. Which, yeah, why not both? They're not mutually exclusive.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

they weren't doing that. they were advocating for macron to be the leader of the world. you can look at the tweets yourself and see that

One person said that in the context of the vacuum of soft power that was and is the post trump world.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I like to think 'a ton' is an overstatement for both of us and it's just a very loud annoying subset

but yes, this

Yeah, loud in the context of this weird hyper bubble we're all in.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

eke out posted:

I don't want to get my hopes up but

Don't. See: last time people were sure indictments were coming down. And the time before that, too.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So how long until Trump tweets out that he prefers former presidents who aren't dead or something?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Trump desperately wants this to be his Vader Style "You have failed me".

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
He's explicitly stating in no uncertain terms that if you 100 percent refuse to cooperate you'll be rewarded. Anything less is betrayal and no help will be coming. Jesus christ.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
President "Trump"

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Looking forward to the inevitable Trump tweet that, even if he had offered Putin a penthouse (which he didn't) it would have actually been Cool and Very Legal. CRIMES!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

SocketWrench posted:

Flint will never have clean water again unless you find a way to rip out every water pipe in the system

What is this weak rear end poo poo? Sounds like a great infrastructure project that'll create a bunch of jobs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/nbcwashington/status/1069944439550939141

Hope no one needed anything from the mail tomorrow!