Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
civil war here we come choo choo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this should not be your takeaway from the ongoing Florida event

the fact that it is his takeaway shows pretty clearly why people still vote for Republicans.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Republicans knew in 2000 that claiming victory as loudly as possible and throwing as many roadblocks in front of actually counting votes leads to you winning and everyone shrugging and forgetting.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I genuinely don't know where / which direction you are going with this.

He said this:

VitalSigns posted:

Lol watch DNC corruption screw us a second election in a row

which is very much blaming the DNC for Republicans being anti-democratic fascists since they "gave them a reason to".

Republicans are so universally understood to be bad-faith actors that anyone who might have triggered their bullshit is blamed instead of the Republicans themselves, since it's just their nature ya know.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
If Democrats made a deal with North Korea they would have been crucified in the media by both the right, for being soft pansy sissies, and by the left, since NK would still be a primal totalitarian hermit state.

When Republicans do it though, well at least they aren’t torturing and sex trafficking asylum seeking children to satisfy neo -Nazis.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Majorian posted:

LOL, what? The left would absolutely back disarmament talks and agreements with North Korea.

Yeah and they did under Obama and were roundly ridiculed by the right, and couldn't just make grand meaningless ceremonial gestures pretending they negotiated The Best Deal With No More Weapons to satisfy the left, since they actually pay attention and would see through it.

Right now the Left's main opposition to "Trump's Deal" is that it is a meaningless ceremonial gesture that gives Kim legitimacy on the world stage while having no enforcement or monitoring or anything and, if anything, the opinion that they should murder more dissidents and become even more insular and nationalist.

Democrats have the same opinion no matter who does it, which is why we didn't get this under Obama, Republicans don't give a poo poo and hate Democrats who are Always Wrong.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Nancy Pelosi was incredibly good at whipping votes and keeping the caucus united when she was leader, which is very important since Republicans are going to offer very sinister deals and Democrats in Red Districts cannot be lured away from the pack.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

I’m sure if AOC surrounded herself with smart and competent people, she would make a pretty OK president.

The most important thing that the President does is appoint and manage an enormous number of people, which makes your point pretty stupid because it applies to literally every president including President of the United States Donald J. Trump.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Majorian posted:

I think you're mistakenly conflating Democrats with the Left. They're not the same, although there is some overlap. The Left in the U.S., such as it is, largely supports the progress towards North Korean disarmament. We know Trump isn't ACTUALLY responsible for it in any real sense, but we're glad it's happening all the same.

the left also wants them to allow a free press and let people leave if they want without shooting them

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes, the Trump Administration, famously staffed by intelligent, competent people

yes and look at how everyone not in the cult view his administration

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I honestly can’t tell which tweet is stupider but they are both amongst the stupidest.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mustached Demon posted:

Note that like 90% of wild fires are human caused.

Only because of climate change but yeah.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
“Deadly and costly” drat he put deadly first he is pro-life for sure.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

You could literally take a random person sampled from "Americans who identify as strongly progressive" and they would be better than the vast majority of existing Democratic Senators.

edit: Basically it is dumb to treat being a politician like being an engineer or something. The #1 important thing is unequivocally ideology, and any sort of experience or expertise is a bonus once that standard has been met. Someone who is extremely skilled in pursuit of goals you disagree with (or isn't willing to use those skills towards the goals you agree with) is not particularly useful.

Spoken like someone who has never been a politician. Go run for your neighborhood board chairman or HOA president, the stupidest and easiest of politician positions, and then come back and read what you wrote.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Skippy McPants posted:

Having a privately owned utilities company that refuses to invest in safe infrastructure isn't helping either.

But “electrical lines making sparks” isn’t the cause of the wildfire epidemic, it is “drastically reduced moisture content with much more frequent dry wind storms”.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

This tweet perfectly captures the idiocy of Trump because seriously what the gently caress is he proposing? Nothing, because of loving course he has no better idea. It’s astounding that anyone sees that tweet and doesn’t immediately see through the moron.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sanguinia posted:

His logic is "gently caress Commiefornia, am I right my fellow chuds? Watch as I own those libs by pointing out how incompetent they are at a thing I could do easily, and also use it as an excuse to take their beloved government teat away from them so I can cut YOUR taxes again while they take one step closer into imploding into a third world hellhole just like they deserve for being the source/bastion of all that you hate."

It’s astounding because it is quite literally “gently caress You Fellow Americans” to people whose entire town was just destroyed.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I mean gently caress, go on twitter and look at the #campfire hashtag. It is almost nothing but people posting images and names looking for their loved ones in the Paradise area, many of whom very probably burned to death horribly in their homes, or terrifyingly in their cars as they desperately tried to flee.

And Trump tweets some stupid bullshit about how California Democrats are managing the forests wrong and how he is so much smarter. gently caress him and gently caress everyone who has ever supported him.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Shumer are from bright blue states so maybe people should shut the gently caress up about them

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
So apparently the red hat galaxy brains on Twitter have convinced themselves the camp fire was set intentionally by the deep state to get federal disaster money so that California can pay off its debt.

These people shouldn’t be allowed near a computer.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Most discussion of democratic opposition to Pelosi as speaker is from conservatives since they know their own base irrationally hates her and the progressive wing of the Dems are highly skeptical of her willingness to implement leftist reforms.

She is great at whipping votes though and Republicans want to divide the Democrats. The conservative media is going to beat the dumb crocodile tears drum as loud as they can, and Trump tweeting his support of her is the first step.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It’s also astounding to me that after months of tying every democratic election to her they are confident enough in their base paying zero attention to anything to publicly support her.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The Progressives got Pelosi to stick a bunch of CPC members onto the committees, which will force them further left and make those investigations a lot more interesting.

Actually you'll find she only did a categorically good thing because of political expediency and her increasing aid and leadership roles to congressional progressives while being historically a leftward force in the party is just a machiavellian scheme and so no one should support her.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Brony Car posted:

So do we want Pelosi to win again or not?

Yeah probably, unless anyone can think of someone better.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean on one hand, yeah, it'd be great to have someone more sympathetic to leftist causes, but on the other, you're right. There isn't really anyone better who would get support.

It is a horrible thankless job that puts an enormous target on your back and requires one to unite a very opinionated and divided caucus to enthusiastically support difficult bills with lots of compromises. I doubt anyone really wants to be speaker and I really highly doubt anyone would be as good at it as she would be. Unless you've been the leader or chairperson of some political entity it's hard to understand just how difficult the job is, especially if you're some upstart nobody who other members think they can push around.

Trump just gave her his Complete And Total Endorsement because he knows how effective she would be and wants to keep the gavel out of her hands, which should be incredibly obvious to everyone.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Farchanter posted:

IIRC, isn't Rasmussen is always wrong by about the same amount, which weirdly makes them a fairly reliable pollster once you adjust for it?

Yeah their house effect is pretty constant but statisticians don't like huge unexplained systematic errors in their data that they need to blindly correct for.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Feinne posted:

Nate takes what he does really seriously and gets kinda salty about people making predictions they should have solid indication were poo poo predictions.

Nate is still super pissed that the enormous election prediction industry he created out of nothing in 2008 was "discredited" in 2016 by a ton of morons who don't understand statistics.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fulchrum posted:

People saying that Republicans are going to react to Omar fighting the ban on hats by wearing ridiculously over-sized cowboy hats seem to be sadly overestimating Republicans, in my opinion. I figure they'll just start wearing white hoods, then claiming its racist if you point out any problems with it.

they are going to wear MAGA hats

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Tatsuta Age posted:

I love how loving lit up anybody gets on Twitter talking stupid poo poo on AOC

https://twitter.com/SarahPalinUSA/status/1064596650713391108?s=19

Why does Sarah Palin have a website named GovernorPalin.org? She was governor for less than a year.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Not a Step posted:

Hilariously, the moon landing was a triumph of central planning and a command economy

This always irks me in regards to Space-X as well. People keep holding them up as an example of the free market doing what the government couldn’t, but really they just sucked a ton of money out of NASA to blow up a ton of soviet rockets they bought for cheap.

The landing thing was cool, but unless they can show that it actually saves any money then it’s also a pointless PR stunt.

I’ll maybe change my mind if they can get a human-certified launch vehicle, but that’s probably five years out at minimum.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mendrian posted:

I mean it seems like the obvious question becomes, 'So how much does it cost to have the US not give a poo poo if a country offs somebody?' 200 billion? 50 billion? What's the going rate?

I think we just troughed, guys. We just told the world ethics has no meaning. I guess we already knew that but blatantly telling the world, 'no really, we're corrupt' is kind of a new low.

surprise it is zero dollars, the US never cares

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Lol

https://twitter.com/manateejay/status/1065984895963418624?s=21

I don’t actually know who that is tho

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Which Dem is messaging immigration correctly?

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1066928205041348608

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1067061217020112896

He also called the tear gassing a war crime but deleted that tweet after some conservative pundit got a ton of twitter racists to threaten him and Hawaii

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Chomskyan posted:

It's not right wing framing, it's objective fact. And yes, they did vote to support walling off the border my dude.

Obama, Clinton, Schumer

Notably missing: Both Senators from Hawaii.

Hawaii is the best state

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh... if there were actual aliens visiting, wouldn't they just be more careful, so as to avoid being photographed?

if they can be careful enough to avoid being photographed now, with cameras literally everywhere, then why were they not careful 60 years ago?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The biggest problem with aliens is that if there are some cosmic intelligent beings that can travel across the vastness of space and visit billions of stars and worlds then why would they give a poo poo about us? Either we are all alone in the universe and very very unique and special, or there is lots of life all over and we are hopelessly boring and common. If it is anywhere in between that, and there are a few other instances of life scattered around the universe, then we will never know or communicate with another one anyway so its no different from there being zero.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
If we really wanna make a big impact on the universe, we should just start launching probes full of the hardiest bacteria and extremophiles we can find all over the loving place at every big rock we can see. Then maybe in 10M years there will be aliens.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ague Proof posted:

Democratic primary results:

"When asked who they would support today in the 2020 Democratic presidential primary among nine possible candidates, 19 percent of respondents indicated Biden, with 14 percent supporting Sanders and 11 percent supporting Warren. Rep. Beto O’Rourke, who gained national attention while taking on Texas Senator Ted Cruz in the 2018 mid-term, finished fourth with 10 percent. Twenty-seven percent of voters indicated they were undecided."

Did I mention this is a Massachusetts Democratic primary poll? Warren is done.

What? Do you really believe in strong state loyalty for presidential elections? Why would Warren be done?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
HW told Iraq that the US wouldn’t intervene if they invaded Kuwait, which they promptly did causing massive deaths and horrors. He then told them they could have attack helicopters as a part of the peace negotiations, which they promptly used to murder thousands of Kurds.

He was just lovely and bad at his job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I can’t think of anything good that HW did. At least W gave a bunch to help with aids in Africa apparently.