Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jaxyon posted:

Absolutely true and Abrams and Gillum should both be running for office and be hotshots within the Dems if they don't win their races.

So where does a young hotshot who just lost statewide election go? Gillum's still got his mayoral office but Abrams and Beto gave up their elected offices in the course of running. Is there a place for them in the DNC? Is that even good for their careers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KingNastidon posted:

Then let's not pretend we're any better than Free Republic doing the same thing, but with muslims/blacks/hispanics.

The difference is they want it to be a brown guy because they want an excuse to discriminate against them and we want it to be a white guy so brown people don't get retaliated against.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

that's the line that came later, friend. what was the express rationale, at the time, for refusing to even bring up the subject.

seriously. it's amazingly funny.

I mean the fact that they didn't have the votes for it seems like a pretty good reason not to pursue futile policy

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Yeah like how the Republicans had a vote in the house every 3 hours to dismantle ACA and it discouraged their base and now they... oh nm

So the Democrats should have used the short window where they had the votes to do something about health care to instead bluster about a policy that didn't have enough support in their own caucus to actually pass and not actually change anything?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Katt posted:

What are the chances that Trump gets to live down all the crap he caused during his presidency?

I suspect that all his failing businesses will be be propped up by Russia, Israel and Saudi Arabia for the rest of his life as compensation for services rendered.

He won't even have to rely on foreign actors, he'll be the #1 recipient of wingnut welfare in America provided the stresses of the job don't kill him.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Where do you see this?

VH4Ever posted:

Dumb question but where can you look at this list?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=4

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I mean, that tweet is correct?

Pakistan is a dumpster fire and the US government shouldn't be shoveling money into it.

Yeah but the reason he doesn't like Pakistan is because it's Muslim and he doesn't have any hotels there

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Condiv posted:

are you gonna fault me for mocking people who :swoon: over a guy who talks about himself as if he were a god and who tries to rehabilitate actual nazis that betrayed their country?

I think at the point those people were making those tweets, Americans knew very little of Macron's policy positions and were just joyous that France had soundly rejected its Trump in the ballot box.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The creator of McAfee antivirus who's turned super libertarian militia nutso in the face of various murder and fraud charges.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Bernie lost among black primary voters I think largely because his response to racism was "economic equality is social equality" which, regardless of how sincere or correct it is (and I think it was sincere but kind of a naive and not entirely correct view) is really not a popular message among African-Americans who've been hearing that line from white Democrats for decades and gotten little out of it.

Also, "Low information voters" is a super dogwhistley term

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Chomskyan posted:

It's not right wing framing, it's objective fact. And yes, they did vote to support walling off the border my dude.

Obama, Clinton, Schumer

A law to put up 650 miles of fence along the border is not the same as a law to erect a wall across all 2000 miles of the border.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Conservative comedy is bad because it's largely based around punching down.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mantis42 posted:

Remember when people thought Dan Quayle was embarrassingly dumb for a political figure? Well, I don't because I was a baby when he left office, but it's still funny.

Republicans still talk about how Joe Biden is a gaffe machine, somehow doing so without their brains melting in the sheer hypocrisy

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mantis42 posted:

At this point you could probably cover a lot of the costs just by undoing the Trump tax cuts.

The worst figure I've heard for the cost of Medicare for All is 3.2 trillion per year, and that's from a libertarian think tank. The Trump tax cuts cost us 1.8 trillion per year. So we'd be over halfway there at the very least, probably significantly more.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The year is 2078. The United States no longer exists as a sovereign nation, but as a component of the Federated States of Earth. QAnon followers still believe that the cadaver synod of Hillary Clinton's corpse is going to happen any day now.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KickerOfMice posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there has to have been along the chain of command, some sort of gentlemen's agreement to prevent this impulsive child from just tossing around nukes. People stormed into the Trump thread to tell me that military people are robots who will do anything their superiors order them to, but I still think i'm right here. There's no way people who are aware of the destructive power and consequences of using even one, would let this simple tool within a moment of using them.

I read that all along the chain of command, they have frequent nuclear drills where they don't tell the people involved that it's a drill until it's over, so in the event of a real nuclear launch, it's indistinguishable from a drill.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

STAC Goat posted:

Technically I believe the Kochs oppose this. They like immigration. It lowers labor cost. And trade wars are really bad for business.

So yeah, I'd say that at its core its not as magical an alternate universe as it sometimes seems. There was something in 2017-18 that saw a direct blow to Fox News ratings because they were ignoring it completely and pretending it didn't exist but a lot of their viewers were noticing such a glaring glitch in the Matrix. I'm blanking on what it was. But for as thick as the blanket over Fox News and RWM consumers is sometimes there's still a lot of divided agendas and cognitive dissonance limits.

Which isn't to say that it isn't still really effective and dangerous, even to lots of people not watching.

I believe it was the Trump/Russia stuff right around the time Mueller was first appointed. Of course, that was 100,000 years ago so I forget the exact series of events leading up to it, but I remember there was a series of big revelations over the course of like a week that headlined every other news channel while Fox News was largely ignoring it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bicyclops posted:

Christ. At some point there's going to an actual nude leak of a Congresswoman in one of those mass hacks that keeps happening to the celebrities and we are never, ever going to hear the end of it from Republican assholes.

I remember 100,000 years ago, when a nude photoshoot of Melania appeared during the 2016 campaign, there was a week where conservative talking heads were just aghast at an imagined negative, hypocritical reaction to it from liberals, who basically just didn't care about it and had nothing to say. Didn't stop conservatives from pretending liberals were either getting lewd and lascivious over it or were criticizing Melania for it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

STAC Goat posted:

At some point someone is going to realize "Wait, what's the point of this? We can just cave and a year from now when we're campaigning say 'we won and are building the wall' and Fox News will just repeat the lie and everyone at our rallies will believe it. What's the point of all this actually trying to get something done?"

The Wall may be too much of a sticking point for the normal "deny reality, let fox news carry our message to the people we need to vote to keep us in office" strategy to work.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Koalas March posted:

Seriously talking to your family about racism is valuable because you are doing a service to every poc they interact with after that

I've tried but man it's hard to convince my dad, a 68 year old white man who grew up in the South, that racism still exists because A) I can't convince him that anything short of Jim Crow and Klan robes counts as racism, and B) he's fully bought in to the GOP ideals of rugged individualism, that people shouldn't be affected by anything in their environment and everyone of any degree of intelligence is a 100% independent thinker so when I tell him I think he's internalized attitudes about poc that affect his judgement that he isn't entirely consciously aware of, he thinks I'm calling him stupid and gets really offended.

His ultimate trump card is "I can't be racist, I was raised by a black woman," referring to his loving nanny.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

tino posted:

So this shut down is Orange Turd's attempt to starve the food stamp users to death right?

He probably didn't plan it but now that he sees the consequence he is going step on the gas paddle.

I honestly don't think he cares one way or the other, he just wants his vanity wall.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ague Proof posted:

I doubt it.

There are conservatives who only voted for McCain because Palin was on the ticket. McCain was seen as a RINO.

No Republican was winning that year.

Yeah, given the state of the economy and the unpopularity of the Bush Administration, I don't think anything short of Obama saying he liked people who didn't get captured would have lost him that race.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crow Jane posted:

Amazon owns WaPo

It does not, Jeff Bezos does.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
E: Never mind, misread

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Because in the last 50,000 years, no ethnic groups have moved into Europe. Nope, just the same lily white people loving their cousins for millennia.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I hope the Trump administration discredits all the "I want a president who'll run the country like a business" types forever.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

kidkissinger posted:

So who do we have for actual contenders this primary, Bernie, Kamala Harris, Tulsi Gabbard,, Biden(?)?

It's way too early to say who's an "actual contender" but in addition to that list the names you see thrown around the most are Castro, Gillibrand, Warren, Booker, Klobuchar, and Beto. It's a wide open field.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Cable Guy posted:

Could conceivably be context... maybe...

What's his record like?

Looks closer to establishment Dem than progressive to me. He seems to be a thoroughly unremarkable backbencher.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Family Values posted:

Huh, 'hotep' is a new one to me. Did we really need a special name for misogynists who happen to be black, or is there more to it than that?

(I'm really slow on things like this since I don't do social media. I'm still trying to figure out if 'chud' is a DJT supporter, a member of the alt-right, or just any conservative)

There's more to it than that. Hoteps are really into black nationalism and often invoke imagery of ancient Egypt.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TulliusCicero posted:

Everytime WV, Florida, or Alabama try to take that "absolute worst" throne ole Miss manages to bob and weave its way to clinch it again

Alabama and Florida have Robert E. Lee's birthday as a state holiday too.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Especially if the shutdown is still going on at that point.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Harik posted:

I just don't have any faith that our broken system is capable of doing anything about a Trump. Any repercussions are going to happen so far down the road that they can't stop the damage being done now, just like all the judicial decisions of "Well you shouldn't have used that bullshit gerrymander but too late to change it now so go ahead."

My biggest fear is some idiot will :decorum: and prevent Trump from getting a perp walk when he's out of office because former American presidents don't go to jail.

I'm still a huge fan of buzzfeed, although I wish the traditional news wasn't so poo poo that clickbait sites decided they had to fill the gap. It's like the Enquirer outing Edwards for his mistress and then finding out that it's actually true.

I mean yeah I absolutely don't expect Trump to face any legal repercussions from this before January 21, 2021, and even then it's not a guarantee. Everything that happens before that is about getting as many non-chuds elected to Congress as possible and making sure Trump doesn't get a second term.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

remusclaw posted:

I likely cannot imagine the level of contempt Putin has for Trump. He hated having a competent rival in the White House, but it must be straight contempt for this clown who looks at him like the Father who never hugged him.

I think Putin loves all this poo poo. Getting a completely compliant puppet in the White House was probably never in the cards (and he has lobbyists in his pocket to do what he needs in our government, anyway) but an incompetent clown who's dismantling American soft power in his nationalistic zeal and eroding the American public's trust in its institutions faster than at any point since Watergate is probably the next best thing for Putin.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mantis42 posted:

Hahaha you still think things are going back to normal.

What's "normal" mean to you, like, Trump Normal or actual normal?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What's a lawyer supposed to do when a client asks them to commit perjury?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mind_Taker posted:

Nate Silver just spitballed border wall funding for passage of HR 1 (the voting rights package).

I don’t really think that’s an option but only things that bring long term benefits to the country should even be remotely considered for a stupid wall. I’d sign off on M4A for a wall, I think. But not this BRIDGE act garbage.

Isn't HR1 mostly symbolic stuff since they know it's never going to pass as long as Republicans control the Senate and White House? Lots of things that sound good to voters but would get immediately shot down by the current Supreme Court.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Our last, like, ten pre-Internet Presidents never would have been elected if it had existed :v:

Counterpoint: Trump

Trump is our first president who had a big personal internet presence prior to running for office. His internet presence was (and is) dumb as gently caress and he still got elected.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I for one couldn't be happier that Donkey Kong is now a trans icon

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

skylined! posted:

Make sure to watch the lunar eclipse tonight and chant the secret incantations when the moon begins to glow blood red. Trump will fall to our curse this time.

But all the chuds are going to be respawning tonight :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Hooooly poo poo this is the best timeline. What a weekend.

So, yeah we got maga this and that bullshit, but who the hell are the black israelites? Can we make fun of them/wish for their death too or is that bad? They sound like a bag of dicks or a bad improv group.

Black Israelites are black nationalists who believe that African-Americans are the true descendants of the biblical Hebrews. They're generally pretty harmless but some get really anti-Semitic in their belief that modern Jews are impostors.