Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Your Taint posted:

So I assume there will no longer be a Trump thread and it all goes in here, yes?

Turns out a trump mock thread and American gov mock thread are basically the same, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's funny how a deadlocked congress is a significant improvement for us

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Al Borland Corpse posted:

So for the first time I had somebody call me an NPC online. What's a good method, for if this happens in person, to not beat the poo poo out of such a person? Because I'm afraid I might do that and I'd rather not do that.

Give them a quest to suck 15 dicks in exchange for a trashy pauldron

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

The Senate results really are bad. I know a lot of people here have been papering this over by saying we never really had a shot (which is true to some degree), but that doesn't change the fact that a +2R result is just not good news. I'm also thinking that 2018 is pretty drat near peak anti-Trump and I'm not sure that we're going to do better in 2020. Combine that with the fact that it may be difficult to defend some of these house pick-ups and I'm concerned.

Two years is a damned long time, especially in this administration. A lot can change

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1060196252523130880?s=19

This is good for Bitcoin the GOP

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 7, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

Trump presser in like 20 minutes.

Take a drink every time he says the word "obstruction"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man, can you drowsy ducks be happy for five minutes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/whal510/status/1060171097390374912?s=19

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Nemo Somen posted:

So I want to make sure I have the proper takes from last night.

The bad:
  • Regaining the Senate in 2020 seems like it’ll be difficult.
  • Losing a number of high profile races
  • Big divide between Senate and House, and Senate is more meaningful

The Good:
  • Florida regained a lot of voters
  • Large Dem support (+7%)
  • Support will likely to grow due to lack of outlet.
  • Massive turnout for a midterm; will hopefully apply to a presidential election
  • Good results for progressive dems, may lead Dems to stop trying to pursue moderate conservatives
  • Can now stop parts of conservative legislative agenda
  • Some traditionally conservative places went for Dems
  • Investigations are now available

Are there any notable takeaways that I'm missing?

Lots of good proposals passed and some bad ones.

Anti gerrymandering and voter suppression ones good, weed good, abortion bans bad

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Trumpism is stronger today than it was yesterday. And his chances of winning in 2020 are probably better too.

If by Trumpism you mean the functional definition of "extreme denial" then yes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Nemo Somen posted:

That is pretty big since iirc that is a power exclusive to the House and not the Senate. Does it allow adjustments to funding of ongoing projects?

I would hardly call The Wall "ongoing"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Like, wasn't the footnotes from last night that NRA sponsored candidates took a bigger hit than ever? Didn't Rick Scott owe a lot of his success to actually breaking from Trump on gun control after Parkland? I haven't paid enough close attention to be able to say definitively but haven't we seen a lot of small bits of evidence since then that this issue is actually working?

I wouldn't undervalue the image of guns either. The undeniable truth is that the way Americans treat guns is ten times worse than what they have access to. If all these shootings are turning off people from owning guns as toys then it is a pretty big success. Unfortunately the caveat is that the people who are attracted to the big guns are the same people that go shooting people, hence the need for actual bans.

Hopefully that was sadbrains enough that I dont get probed again.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

"Reporter has press credentials revoked for doing job" should be the headline of every news outlet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

She'll be fine, she's a cold iron woman

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

I am finding it progressively more difficult to imagine a world where our politics are not permanently and increasingly hosed.

We made progress this election, cling onto that with both hands.

People are pissed and there is only so much the right can do against that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It bothers me that I am so desensitized to murder that RBG being injured registers 10x more than a mass shooting

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lid posted:

Can't confirm but some reports are saying a neighbour of Long describes him as a military veteran with PTSD.

Okay, but this was very clearly premeditated. Someone doesn't make smoke grenades in the middle of a PTSD attack

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

you probably would’ve had a blue tsunami had mueller done the right thing and leaked before the elections but republicans gonna republican.

Muller's team not leaking is one of the few things that might make charges stick

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

Sessions resigned.

He really should have demanded to be fired, if only out of spite. He probably would have held the position to term if he did, actually, since trump is too much of a coward to fire someone personally.

VVV When are chuds not angry?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

Maybe it's shallow or petty of me, but I'm for anything that brings him pain.

:same: my man is going to die alone regardless, but I see no reason to speed up the rate people desert him.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/noamscheiber/status/1060564693646012416

This is a good thread to pour some cold water on beliefs that Michigan will easily swing back to Democrats in 2020.

Not surprising in the slightest. Unions are a very big deal here, especially with the auto industry. Despite Janus they aren't going to be going anywhere soon, and people know that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Petr posted:

So we're going to have RBG replaced with a chud.

It's RBG. She'll pound a protein shake, do fifty squats, and her ribs will just melt back together again.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

sacrifices life/sanity for country

can't get mental help

because of this, violent delusions manifest

"b-b-but white man!"

Who gave the NRA an account

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

I thought the principle messages of country music were "wow that woman is very pretty, I would like to sleep with her" and "trucks."

You missed the very important "alcoholism"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Politely request a change in tone the fash

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Oh thank god for the judiciary

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

It's a shame the word "shill" has essentially become a gendered insult, because Jill rhymes with shill, and Dr. Stein is 100 percent a sell-out to the conspiracy elements of her party. Her earlier career is indicative that she's smart enough to know better, which means, ironically, that she's just the kind of politician people who are voting for her hate the most: a cynical opportunist.

Shill is absolutely not a gendered insult, what are you talking about

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thaddius the Large posted:

When was the last time the rule of law did apply to the President?

All the time? We just didn't have an overwhelming number of impeachable crimes going down during the Obama admin, and Bush was more of a "war crime" kind of guy

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

That's a wrong impression of the flu to begin with and a good place to start when dealing with misconceptions about it. Flu knocks a healthy, young human on their rear end for a week usually. Then there's the unlucky ones who are in that group who suffer complications and just die because flu gives zero fucks.

The vaccine lowers thar risk significantly by both preventing the spread and lessening the effects of the virus. Even with its less than ideal effectiveness since one less person able to spread it, and suffer under flu, is one less vector to spread.

It also doesn't help that getting the flu shot can still give you an immune response, leading to "I got the flu shot and I still got the flu, it didn't work!" mentality.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

This is a galaxy brain take

Seriously, vaccines are probably the greatest advancement in public health since clean water. Please get your shots and provide herd immunity to the people with weakened immune systems.

They aren't saying you shouldn't get a shot, just that you might end up sick still

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Vaccination is collectivism.

The Worker's Poke

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gonna send those lawyers to Georgia too?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lock up...Hillary clinton?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Chomskyan posted:

Trump's NLRB recently ruled union picketing illegal

http://inthesetimes.com/working/entry/21530/trump_nlrb_union_pickets_illegal_labor_joint_employer

I would like to believe that #resistance liberals will take this up and make it a major issue, but I know in my heart they wont

This is absurd. People picket at their place of work. You aren't having Walmart workers driving out to wherever the HQ is to picket on their front steps.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Going against the conservative masses to own the...conservatives?

Deified Data posted:

Can someone be very clear and reassure me that if a miracle comes to pass and either Nelson or Gillum turn out to have won their races on a recount, the state of Florida or the federal government can't just...say they didn't and ignore the results?

I'm getting strong 2000 vibes.

The federal government cant do anything, votes are certified on the state level. As far as the state goes, just tossing highly publicized votes would be lawsuit heaven

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Would Trump-packed courts present an issue here?

IANAL but not on a federal level. SCOTUS deals with issues involving the constitution and such, while state voting laws are written into their own constitutions. I imagine that issues there would be settled within the state.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

You were right the first time. Sure, GWB isn't a weird freak like Trump, but that's not exculpatory. That's an extremely low bar. Trump hasn't started a war yet.

Started a war besides the one that we still have raging and is showing no signs of ending, you mean

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

I do think we should probably pay our Reps and Senators a hell of a lot more. By underpaying our leadership we help to make sure only the rich or corrupt can be leaders.

There is no limit to how much money people want. You can pay someone a billion dollars a week and they will still embezzle more

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/FisherJillian/status/1060687037743939584

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

cr0y posted:

Can someone give me a tldr of what is going on in florida? I sorta checked out since tuesday to avoid a stomach ulcer.

Short version: there are a lot of uncounted votes that could change the result and the right is doing everything they can to get them thrown out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is the thread title true? I dont see anything about it on the net

E. Oh they hired her previously, they didnt rehire her lol