Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Trabisnikof posted:

I assume they're going to trade an infrastructure bill for the wall, that seems to be where this is heading. If it is the private-public bill that Trump wants its a worse than worthless trade. If it is some big government spending kind of bill, I could be convinced. But building the wall seems like a faustian bargain to me.

The wall is insane because it would require a bunch of Texans and south westerners to not only allow but volunteer for eminent domain by the federal government.

It's a Russian nesting doll of dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

STAC Goat posted:

I 100% don't care if Jim Acosta asks the President, Press Secretary, and White House important questions and pushes them to answer when they don't want to because he has a dedicated love for the truth or because he wants to get attention. Its the right thing so I like that he does it.

Ends, Not Process. ENP

One day I will get people saying that un-ironically in public :allears:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I just wish I could trust that WA-08 was done. I can't trust that that tumor of a gerrymander isn't going to cause something bad to happen.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I feel like I need to start naming public wi-fi "FBI Deep State Monitor (Free Wi-fi!)"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Furnaceface posted:

Todd or Fallon?

How is it they're all concerned about appearances until lets them humanize Nazis?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah not a fan of combining two of the faster moving threads into one abomination.

USPOL had zero posts on the day of one of the terrorist attacks a few weeks back.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Propaganda Hour posted:

I didn't think I could hate schumer more. This is all awful and hopefully a joke. Who the gently caress cares about SAT scores

People who live in Martha's Vineyard?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Kimsemus posted:

Not so dumb as you thinking it'll see him removed from office :smuggo:

Impeachment is not the same thing as removal from office and your lack of delineation between this is why people think you're a moron.

Clinton was impeached.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Nah.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If dems ever have the power to their first job in Florida is to fix elections in Florida, 2000 was 18 years ago, poo poo has gone on long enough.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

QuoProQuid posted:

and here i thought the republicans were already fixing elections!

:golfclap:

You got me.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Covok posted:

Broke brains screamed over a percentage on a lovely sports site being setup by an idiot who things he can predict politics because he can predict sports and we are one of the verge of potentially taking the Senate as well as the governoship of Florida and Georgia.

What I'm saying is that you shouldn't be a covoking broke brain, you should have faith in democracy.

You're doing alright these days.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I don't think we can make people not chuds but there must be a way to at least trick them into voting for their own interests in the future.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

A better question is how do you make the narrative, minus the pendulum panic, of this forum, the national one?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm curious how this will play out in the media, being that they seemed to go "welp, tuesday done"

Trump potentially blew some of his best distraction fodder too.

Data Graham posted:

Ehhh. I've been working doggedly on a guy I know to NOT simply vote for his own interests all the time. Like the only thing he thinks about is:

Will this make MY taxes go up or down?
Will this affect MY take-home pay?
Will this make MY power bill go up?
WIll this make it more difficult for MY kids to get into college?
Will this make life harder for ME?

It's this MEEEEEEE attitude that I think is so poisonous about middle-of-the-road people who think they're well-informed and reasonable and civic-minded but really are just FYGM'ers through and through. I want to grab them and shake them by the shoulders and yell WHY DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN TO A CHRISTIAN ABOUT HAVING COMPASSION FOR THE LESS FORTUNATE

This is just quick speculation on my part but it sounds like he's concerned with means, so maybe the way to go at him is to suggest maybe he could have all those things without worry.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 9, 2018

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I have to say I am mildly astonished someone would assert Stephen Miller's child camps would exist under a Hillary Clinton Presidency.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Majorian posted:

Someone posted this earlier in the thread, but it's a pretty comprehensive answer to this question, and everyone should watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAbab8aP4_A

Topical, as Earth-2 presidency would be even more obsessed with having the moral high ground.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

This all supposes a certain ideological flexibility of the voting public, that I'm not sure exists. I'm not convinced just based on the light consideration that Republican obstructionism during Obama didn't exactly win them friends with millenials or Z.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Smeef posted:

Has there been some recent campaign to boost the message that Obama is a war criminal? I swear I've seen a 10x increase in that reference lately.

All the presidents besides Lincoln are in the bad place.gif

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm drawing a line here:
Anti science has no place in the future of the new more left Dem party.

Fight me over it binch.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Yes, she did, but from suburban liberals who were angry that Hillary lost to TRUMP. Stein isn't The Best, but she's better than panera bread democrats.

Ok.
No, she's not, because grift no matter the target isn't ok.

Grift leads to corruption, corruption leads to systemic failure.

System failure leads to electoral college.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daYKTvCBNz8

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

enraged_camel posted:

So I haven't really looked into this... is there any shred of truth to the claims that the reason California fires are as bad as they are is because environmentalist groups have been blocking efforts for controlled burns, which prevent fires from spreading?

Spin the wheel o America, take a guess.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Yinlock posted:

social media being quickly revealed as mercenary intelligence agencies is certainly a twist i didn't see coming, but should have

Dems could easily fire back with the fact that minority votes are constantly "misplaced" in gop districts but yknow, democrats

I'm not sure how they've ever been anything but, which is why even on professional profiles I've tried to make them as placeholder as possible.

I haven't actually posted on non forums social media in years now.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm really tempted some days to make a public PAC called the illuminati just so i can see the complete mental breakdown of chuds at the end of video spots saying "The Illuminati paid for this message"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Raenir Salazar posted:

I also do not believe the claim of "Democrats are on record of defending rigging their primaries" is 100% true and not another example of taking words out of context or overly negative interpretation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcgPyKt-ysY

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Bottom Liner posted:

"DEMS RIG THEIR PRIMARIES" is such a fox news headline. Of course they're going to prune their candidates and their system is set up to pick their typical candidate that falls in line with the party platform instead of rocking the boat. They didn't attack democracy by cheating Bernie, that's just how the 2 party system works and the DNC is not a government entity so they can make and break their own rules. If you're mad, go vote for the more progressives in the party and push the party left. Don't hand over the loving ball, game, and court to the literal fascists you complicit shits.

You're not reading the whole thread are you?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Bottom Liner posted:

So being contrarian accelerationist and saying "but both sides bad" instead of voting does what?

"Dems bad" is the left's "but her emails".

Remove #1 and #2 Dems since they're on the record for corruption. Continue to Vote.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Harik posted:

I'm driving down the road, a road I've driven a hundred times. I hear a song I don't like and I reach down to change the station. In that moment, I hit the car next to me and we both overreact and end up making it so much worse than a side-swipe.

Clearly, I'm at fault, I was distracted.

Every day on the traffic report I hear of an accident, often fatal, on a particular curve of the interstate where the faded lane markings go one way, and the clear pavement lines go another. Traffic camera archives show that the majority of accidents happen when two cars follow opposing "lanes" into each other. People dig into it, and find out it's actually the most deadly stretch of road in the entire country.

This is a constant argument in the thread, with "individual responsibility" posters treating each death as an atomic event, unconnected to any other. Hyper-focus on any single accident will reveal that that driver did in fact make a mistake, and thus they are justified. There is no reason to fix the road, they argue, because each driver should have chosen to pay more attention. At most, perhaps re-paint the lines again. That doesn't cost them anything and now they've "done something" about the problem.

Other posters argue that the sheer disparity in excess accidents means something systemic is wrong, and that a radical change is needed to the highway to address the fact that it kills more people per mile than anywhere else in the nation. "If it is the fault of distracted drivers", they say, "why does it keep happening in one place?". This argument is repeatedly shouted down, insulting those posters as being lovely drivers and the cause of all those deaths. Those posters fire back that they haven't personally been in an accident and they're talking in sweeping statistics.

While imperfect and not a 1:1 analogue, everyone should be clear on what I'm discussing here.

This is why i dont generally discuss politics with people offline because this forum is probably one of the few places that my positions would be consider briefly before the deer in headlights look kicks in.

It's a long run to start from "have you considered the whole system from capitalism to the prison system is fundamentally flawed and the entire world is in fact unjust?" When the friendliest party is figureheaded by Nancy Pelosi.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/575560/

quote:

Nancy pelosi really does not want to impeach Donald Trump—and she’s prepared to take all the heat from her party and from the new House Democratic majority she’s hoping to lead, unless she sees something wildly different emerge.

But she said she won’t let Robert Mueller define the decision.

“Recognize one point,” Pelosi told me during an interview in the conference room of her minority-leader suite in the Capitol late Friday: “What Mueller might not think is indictable could be impeachable.”

Pelosi said people should pray for the country as long as Trump is in charge. She’s not sure of his mental condition. She thinks he’s degraded the Constitution and American values. She says the intelligence assessments are indisputable in showing that Russia interfered in the 2016 election. She thinks the firing of Jeff Sessions and the appointment of Matthew Whitaker as acting attorney general in a clear move against the Mueller probe “is perilously close to a constitutional crisis.”

That’s not enough, she said.

“You have to have evidence, evidence of the connection. Everything’s about the connection,” Pelosi explained.

In other words, it comes down to a topic the president has notably refrained from tweeting about for weeks: collusion.

Maybe there’s something else in his tax returns. Maybe there’s something that’s beyond the special counsel’s scope. Maybe there’s something Trump has yet to do. “That’s why we want to see the documents,” Pelosi said. “Because we’re seeking truth. We’re seeking truth for the American people about the integrity of our elections, and honoring the Constitution.”

I'm not sure how to interpret this because it seems to be all over the place.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 11, 2018

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

i am harry posted:

Paying the companies that make the planes and vehicles to move the troops, and the tent makers, and the barbed wire factories.

Also even at low wages, the volume of people there adds up.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

axeil posted:

I remember when I was real happy circa 2009 or so that "nerds" had finally won the culture war and our stuff was mainstream.

Now that it's all infected with the alt-right, I kind of wish we were still being proverbially shoved into lockers.

Toxic masculinity is the same, nearsighted or not.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

mcmagic posted:

The thing about voting reform is that the vast majority of Republican voters have no idea how much their party relies on Voter Suppression, disenfranchisement and intimidation to win elections and these reforms sound great because they make your life easier and have no perceived downside. Thats why ballot initiatives banning gerrymandering win even in gerrymandered red states by wide margins.

GOP voters think only dems cheat so because they are unable to objectively gauge the battlefield they lose.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

mcmagic posted:

I guess the more politically savvy senators don't think this is a fight worth having but Schumer is so obviously terrible at his job in every possible way...

If you compare the types of people in the Senate and house, there's not enough ideological difference between Schumer and his caucus to cause them to change leadership.

In the house the only people making noise are centrists and the left saying their vote isn't a given.

Strangely politics has very little to do with it so much as a lack of awareness.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

CuddleCryptid posted:

Naturally, they don't want their press passes pulled when the left retakes the white house

Kind of cynical of them to imply there might be a post Trump universe.

Ogmius815 posted:

No one knows anything about anything. As long as she hires a decent staff she'll be fine.

That said, I really wish she'd stop mentioning her bachelor's degree in economics as if it gave her special insight into anything at all. That's annoying and she should stop.

One eye in land of the blind. It's not like she's in the Chicago school.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

eke out posted:

well

this person seems like a great leftist so i believe them

Anyone so obsessed with the Trump wall is no one I would break bread with.

You have no idea what an insult that is I'm what you call a person whom eats :goonsay:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Avenatti4Pres posted:

So you mean 10.5 Million people?

And here I thought mocking the poor was something reserved for Republicans. Nice to see you're no better than them.

Psst. He's not a leftist.

Kimsemus posted:

The wall is more an Austerlitz Chimera more than anything else honestly. I think it's as dumb as the next guy, just an interesting albatross to harp on.

Bullshit.

You put your money where your mouth is and the wall is offensive.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Somehow the 80's are back with Regans rayguns.

I mean I knew they were with president bone-itis but now the writers are just seeing if anyone's paying attention.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Junior G-man posted:

I've always believed that the world would've been so much more fun with the Greek or Roman pantheons still around as major religions. Goat offerings, orgies, good-time stories and entrail reading - what's not to love?

Goat offerings, orgies, good time stories and entrails reading.

You've never been to Florida have you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

GreyjoyBastard posted:

freedom OF religion doesn't mean freedom FROM religion, that's why we're putting up a statue of Jupiter hucking a thunderbolt while schlonging a chick outside of the state courthouse

In this universe Jesus is voiced by James Woods.