Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
That's somehow even more horrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

big if true

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

the warring STEMs period

Who will be the Qin Shi Huang of huffing their own farts?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Bishyaler posted:

Well, that's enough serious posting. What's everyone eating for superbowl? We're doing a taco bar, nachos, little smokies, chicken wings, chili cheese dip, and cheesecake.
RIP your GI tract

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Bishyaler posted:

It sounds like a silly lifehack but I've started drinking near-beer when stressed out at work. My brain is too dumb to realize that I'm not actually feeding it booze so I still get a nice dopamine hit.

Heiniken 00 and St Pauli's Girl are p good. Give it a try!

Edit: I work from home, don't try this in the office
My brain got wise to that pretty fast. But yes, NA beers these days are honest-to-god pretty good.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if anyone does ever get an opportunity to go to the yellowstone/grand tetons (insane to me they named a mountain range 'giant titties') jump on that poo poo. i've done a bit of traveling across the continental us and the vistas and wildlife at both are truly remarkable even compared to standouts like yosemite/zion/bryce
Right by there is also the Beartooths, which are also badass.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

An older gentleman in line with me just spent the last 10 minutes explaining to me that is excited he has been chosen to become "the next King David" because it means he will soon have the power to throw family court judges in jail.

He also explained that family court exists as a separate court because they only select the most evil people to be judges there and family court judges created family court because they have so much power and money. But, whoever is appointed King David has power over them.
You'd think King Solomon would be a better fit for family court.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

oh yeah! the beartooth highway wasn't open for the season, but the first 15 miles or so had been plowed so we were able to drive partway up. spectacular views. also i'm from a land with absolutely no snow, so to see all of these spots covered in snow and ice in may was such a novel experience
If you find yourself in Washington State with some extra time, try to hit up the North Cascades.

Most of it can only be seen by hiking/backpacking, but it's the most heavily glaciated area in the US outside of Alaska (Washington has over 3/4 of all glaciers in the lower 48). The elevations are lower than the Rockies, but the mountains start from low elevation, so the vertical relief is comparable to big ranges in the Sierras or Rockies. There's also Rainier obviously which is absolutely gently caress-off huge, but quite crowded.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

She doesn't need to go to school to be a minister. Anybody can call themselves a "non-denominational" fundie pastor. Instead of divinity school, she could just put that money towards renting a storefront in a dying stripmall and put up a sign that says something like "Freedom Life Church" and start grifting.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

a strange fowl posted:

listen to this wise man, let your sister try to become divine if that's what she wants, life is all about the attempt
I love my divine sister

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Tesseraction posted:

I always like the thoery that Jesus was just trusting God to do something and then like, just before the first nail on the cross is driven in God's like "...yeah this is awkward but I'm gonna need you to die here sorry"
That's a lot nicer than the Gnostic Christian version. Gnostic ideas have been related to those of Buddhism and Neo-Platonism. Such comparisons extremely insulting to these schools. While you don't "gotta hand it" to St. Augustine, Christianity as developed through the Middle Ages was much less stupid.

tl;dr Gnosticism says that the material world is an evil illusion that's the fault of the evil Demiurge, who was the god of the Old Testiment. The OG God was cool, and the Demiurge sucks. Jesus was an son-like emanation from the cool God that went in to some random adult carpenter. Upon crucifixion, the Son of God peaced out and then this poor carpenter bastard found himself back in his body, dying slowly and horrifically.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

a strange fowl posted:

i clean toilets now (it's a living). today i was contemplating a very deliberate mess and it was like doing a forensic analysis of blood spatter dynamics, except in this case it was piss spatter dynamics and my brilliant conclusion was that someone had stood upright on the toilet bowl and sprayed forth from that elevated height with great fury. i am sherlock holmes
loving animals. Janitorial work is much more useful than what the vast majority of people do (which is why it's poo poo pay), so at least you can take heart in how essential your labor is. A big part of living under late capitalism is just steadily downgrading the hope and optimism that one has in youth.

I think that everyone that works in offices or whatever should contribute to janitorial work. There wouldn't be nearly as many people pissing all over toilet seats if the toilet seat pissers occasionally had to clean it up themselves. It's not like they do that at home (or I hope not), but it's only when they think they can make it the problem of someone they don't respect.

:nws:

I'm glad you're honing your poo poo detective skills. Another fun game is to try to make eye contact with people who think you're beneath them. They get really weird about it.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 8, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Humans keep a lot more dust mites indoors than dogs or cats. They also poop there, such that the average mattress contains pounds of dust mite feces.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

RE: pillowchat, I highly recommend wool-filled pillows. They aren't the cheapest, but they have good firmness and repel dust mites (which a lot of people are allergic to).

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Surprisingly not.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Y2K and Limp Bizkit nostalgia are no longer punchlines.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1683512388312604676

JNCOs are back too.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The car thread stuff is just shitposting. You should not take it seriously. I and most everyone that posts there own cars. What people over there generally want is for very significant changes to be made in urban planning and culture such that most people don't need cars.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Cease to Hope posted:

Peter Stormare's real name is Rolf Storm and he changed it for the same reason
I had a "Rolf Storm" last week after this dodgy burrito.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Furnaceface posted:

Well then dont stop, just reduce the frequency and quantity. :colbert:
that sounds pretty stupid OP

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9MfDKJyoNY

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Main Paineframe posted:

American schooling varies tremendously from state to state and even from district to district. The history classes I got in school mostly just covered 1776-1865, with basically zero mention of anything that happened in the 20th century.
My history classes never even got to the War of 1812. Just colonial times and the revolution, again and again and again.

That cartoon really made heroin seem cool and mysterious to 8-year-old me.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

there used to be a small meat packers in my parents neighborhood. their slogan was "you can't beat our meat". as with all blue collar work in the country, it morphed into an empty building at some point. eventually it became a strip club, and i've always been a little sad they didn't continue the slogan
what the hell, that's such an easy layup

In Seattle, there was (is?) this comedy club called "Giggles" that turned into a strip club for a while called "Jiggles."

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Horses were pulling chariots and wagons first, domestication preceded horse riding.
Yeah it took a long time to breed horses with strong enough backs to ride. What's really crazy is how long it took for the stirrup to get invented.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

there was a period where i was unemployed and became the most prolific poster in the subforum years ago, so i stand by this metric
my posting career has advanced greatly since being laid off, highly recommend

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

It's been great posting with all of you, but I'm going to spend the remaining time we all have with my family.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i classify taiwan as a mountainous country and i stand by that uniformed assumption
I'd call it mountainous for sure, as much or moreso than Japan. The highest peak, Yu Shan, is 3942 m. That's the 4th highest island summit in the world. IMO you can have some plains and still be mountainous.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

funny, that's how most americans feel about the australian rump state of new zealand
Australia:
- hot
- dry
- flat
- full of Australians

New Zealand:
- awesome mountains
- glaciers
- fjords
- parrots that gently caress up your car

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

sounds like a Cumtown joke

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Tesseraction posted:

Christmas as a holiday is a pagan tradition anyway.
Look's like someone hasn't seen Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

man, santos probably could have kept his seat at least a bit longer if he hadn't been skimming the credit card info of a sitting republican house member and the member's mother
power move

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I thought gout was foot pain and usually only in overweight people?

It's also supposed to be very painful, but this is just kind of lightly painful when I put a lot of pressure on one specific toe (left pinky).

I also don't drink alcohol or eat organ meat (like liver, kidney), and some kinds of seafood, such as anchovies, sardines, mussels, scallops, trout, and tuna.

Doesn't seem like gout.
What you’re describing isn’t inconsistent with gout.

Gout most commonly affects the joint at the base of the big toe. Contrary to stereotypes, it’s only weakly related to diet, alcohol use, and weight. Most cases aren’t caused by those factors.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

There’s another company trying to make airships a thing again, so hopefully we’ll eventually get another one of these things once it inevitably fails and they sell off the hangar.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

exmarx posted:

the wind rises is great, more nerds need to learn that sometimes their dreams are extremely bad
still love the plane though

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Rappaport posted:

Zeppelins are great :colbert: Although we're already running out of helium, and flying around under a hydrogen balloon sounds about as safe as being on the same continent as a tesla :ohdear:
They are great. There's a reason why every alternate reality universe in media has everyone riding around in airships. It just sucks we've got these garbage laws of physics that make them less practical than planes.

Hydrogen can made safe. Hindenberg had more to do with the wildly flammable skin. Without that, it's pretty hard to get any significant combustion going, because there's no O2 in the gas envelopes. Most all gas ballooning (much more popular in Europe) uses hydrogen and it works just fine. Planes already have many thousands of gallons of fuel in the wings anyway.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I've always had pretty good luck with Japanese curries. Pretty easy to make vegetarian as well. It can also be made into udon or ramen form, as this dog will explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT2UvDOP2qw

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The wachowskis get mad props from me. they can do whatever they want on the back of speed racer alone
An underrated movie. Everybody really poured their blood, sweat, and tears into that. The blood was mostly due to the violent chimp flipping out a whole bunch.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I got a cold now (not covid) from Christmas. Sore throat and feel like garbage. Never visit your family.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

what the gently caress!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

countdown to stanley thermoses turning into worthless garbage in a doomed attempt to keep riding that profit growth dragon

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

speaking of american's problem recognizing prominent women, even knowing about american's history of musical appropriation, it still absolutely blew my mind to recently find out that the first artist to prominently play the electric guitar while incorporating elements of gospel, blues, and honky-tonk in what would come to be known as rock and roll was a black woman. not only that, but she directly got little richard into performing music

do i live under a rock or something? how did it take me decades to hear about this?
Grunge was basically invented by a Black woman named Tina Bell who fronted a band called Bam Bam. This guy named Kurt Cobain roadied for them.

(This video is loving pro-watch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFiNe2kK914

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I’m a Washington native, and I never heard of her before like 3 years ago (her memory had a revival with BLM). Bam bam’s influence among NW musicians was enormous, but they never caught on with audiences. Tina Bell’s stage presence was something else, but audiences couldn’t accept a punk act being fronted by someone who was simultaneously Black and female.

Fun fact, bam bam’s drummer, Matt Cameron, was the drummer for Soundgarden and then Pearl Jam.