Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Azhais posted:

If they're truly empowered he can't change council members without a council vote. At that point it's just a whole lot of bribing.

It's weird, I was under the impression that I couldn't fire council members (the option was grayed out), but after playing a while I am now able to. I didn't change any laws, either.

Oh well. Three of them are now Loyalists and by the time I'm able to call a vote again I'll be able to pass it. Now I just have to deal with the Nomads to the north.

What's the optimal strategy for dealing with the nomad raids? All the various Turkestan hordes are raiding me pretty frequently; I can usually defeat an individual raiding party with all my levies but that prevents me from ever using them for southern expansion. Conquering them seems like a pain because I have to build holdings in each province to keep them in my realm, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
How do you actually install the DLC? I bought HF this morning and tried to install it before work, but I had no luck.

HF shows up on the DLC list in the Steam app saying "Not Installed," but when I fire up the game HF doesn't show up on the DLC list in the launcher. I tried checking and unchecking the box on Steam a few times before I had to give up.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I love this loving game. I'm playing a Vandad Karen run and I've conquered most of Iran. Around 900 or so, the Seljuk invasion begins. He spawns with 20k troops in Abbasid territory and declares an invasion on me. My maximum army size is about 10k without mercs, and I've just defeated an Abbasid invasion and conquered a duchy from Rajputana (while defeating their Pratihara allies with 15k troops). My vassals are pissed from having levies raised so long and my treasury is almost empty because I immediately spent the 1200 gold I got from the Abbasids on buildings. So, I try the following:

1. Assassinating Seljuk. I spend gold on enough bribes to get plot power to about 130%. Event never fires.
2. Gaining allies. I marry off two kids to nearby realms and spent more gold on improving relations enough to Form Alliances. I'm able to get one ally with about 3k troops by the time Seljuk arrives.

He finally arrives with his armies, split into 3 stacks of about 7k. I attack the first one and defeat it, but it links up with another and I'm now facing 14k troops against my stack of 11k. Over the next few weeks I abuse my generals (who have been trained by a Chinese strategist and thus have 30% movement, allowing me to avoid Seljuk's armies) and dance around, waiting for attrition or seige events to weaken Seljuk's army enough for me to gain an edge. I figure I'm doomed if I face an army of equal numbers.

After a few weeks of this, while desperately waiting for the assassination event to trigger and for my allies to arrive, I notice a stack of 3k Seljuk troops split from the main army. I also notice a little crown icon next to the stack. It seems Seljuk himself wanted to seige down my Silk Road trade post. I pounce on this small army, defeat it handily and capture Seljuk.

I then sacrifice him to Ahriman because my Shah is a Satanist. Seljuk's armies scatter to the winds and the realm is at peace once again. Owned bitch.

On a related note, the Lock Movement feature actually makes the game easier for me. I just wait for an enemy stack to get locked in its path and move a larger army to its destination. The enemy will arrive first (and take advantage of any defensive terrain bonuses) but it's worth it to guarantee a fight you know you'll win.

CommissarMega posted:

Got bored of playing the Son of The Void, now I want to try my hand at a Nomadic game, set in a Shattered World where everyone's a nomad at the start. Any idea of what I could expect? It's my first time playing a nomad, please don't bully.

Nomads are fun but very different from Feudal/Tribal.

- Always have as large of a Horde as possible.
- When you first start out, immediately try to absorb neighboring Nomad provinces. They will likely have the same amount of troops as you do, so wait until their stack is reduced by some other conflict before engaging.
- I tried a Nomad Shattered World game when HF first dropped. If you don't border any Feudal provinces, raiding will be far less useful because Nomad/Tribal provinces are poor. However, it can be useful to raid because you can still capture people and ransom or sacrifice them to improve your Warrior Lodge standing.
- Always be in a Warrior Lodge if you're pagan.
- If you're in a Lodge and you have good personal combat stats, Antagonize any enemy character who's a threat to you. If you antagonize long enough they will challenge you to a duel which you should win. You will then have the option to execute them.

- General Nomad advice: focus on building (in your capital province only) things that increase your maximum Population, pop growth and your cavalry unit stats. Your capital should always be the province with the most empty holdings. You can move capitals periodically. It's useful to have one on a coastal province because you get buildings that further increase your Pop.
- Most of the time, when you conquer new provinces you won't be able to keep many of them because your vassal Clans will demand more territory. It's still worth it to expand even if you're giving most of your conquests away because it makes your vassals stronger and they'll almost always join your wars anyway.
- Form a Blood Bond with the 2nd strongest clan in your realm. This will prevent them from warring you (although it dissolves on ruler death, so if you die and they declare independence there's nothing you can do to prevent it).
- Once you reach 30k maximum population, you get access to Invasion CBs. You then need to reach 75% of your max population in order to use the CB. I *think* the Invasion CB allows you to claim every occupied holding in the realm you're invading whenever you press your demands for peace, so if you can claim the entire Kingdom in one go you should do so.
- If you want to eventually go Feudal, it's easier to settle first as Tribal then reform to Feudalism.
- Nomad Succession is tricky. Generally you will be able to retain control of the Clan when your ruler dies because it passes to the "strongest" male relative (by strongest it means the character with the most Prestige.) To boost prestige in a certain character, be sure to give them honorary titles and/or artifacts that give Prestige. However, children cannot lead the horde and control will pass to another clan if you only have child heirs. You'll then be a vassal clan under a new Khagun, retaining your territory but losing the top title. It can be difficult to regain control of the top level outside of overthrowing the Khagun, but failure will result in your ruler being executed. So, if you only have child heirs be careful about dueling or leading armies because injuries will shorten your lifespan.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

Have they fixed the issue that the nomad AI settles the second they gain control of the highest title? I managed a really good nomad game right when the DLC was released, got the achievements "Steppe by Steppe" and "One Arrow Alone can be Easily Broken but Many Arrows are Indestructible", but I have not even gotten close to that since because the second you lose the highest title all your vassals decide to settle.

That hasn't happened to me. In my first HF game I played as Nomads in a Random World. I lost the Khagun title because my only heir was a child, but the new AI Khagun never settled down.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Thanks for that nomad quick guide, was overhelmed by them before but now I want to start as one, make my way to some nice coastal plot of land then settle as a tribe going republic. Question for that - does jews retaking Jerusalem let them reform?

And on a random note - wish there was a plot or some kind of targeted raid to abduct people.

If you select the Intrigue focus you get the option to Abduct people if you Spy On them. It only has a small chance of firing.

If you are a member of the Satanic society, you also get the option to Abduct targets. It's limited, though. I think they can only be Count-level or below.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

snoremac posted:

I like how the obituary of your ruler rarely matches your perception of them. My ruler was a virtuous man with lots of loyal friends (enough to unlock the Yes Men achievement), good to the Church, and made significant territorial gains including a new kingdom title. He’s remembered as a raving madman everyone is quietly glad to be rid of. I can’t recall anything in that vein happening.

You may already know this, but the descriptions are based on your ruler's traits. I imagine that guy probably had the Lunatic trait.

One of my more successful rulers died and his obit focused on how he was always self-conscious about having been born of a concubine and how death would finally free him from worrying about it.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
That event where a commander duels for you on the battlefield is annoying. I was trying to get my Imbecile ruler killed on the battlefield and all my Bros kept saying "look buddy, you're too stupid to do this. Let me help."

Also, what's the best retinue composition these days? In my Karen game I am spamming mostly horse archers, but I don't have many Altaic generals so I don't know if that's ideal. They seem to be doing just fine but I was considering switching to Shock to take advantage of numbers.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
In my Persian Empire game, I just converted the (formerly Pagan) King of England to Zoroastrianism. The King of Finland then randomly converted too (not sure why).

Anyway, England is defending against Poland in a Holy War. If I Offer to Join England's war, will it trigger all the defensive pacts against me? My current threat is 67%.

- I'm not sure if Poland is a member of a Defensive Pact against me or not. They probably are since it seems like the entire world is.
- I don't have an Alliance with England, but I can offer to join since they're now my co-religionists involved in a Holy War.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Joining wars never triggers defensive pacts, and the person you're helping winning the war also doesn't increase your threat. Go crush those infidels!

:getin:

Any idea why the King of Finland also converted? He was also Germanic, but not related by blood to the King of England. Do all Pagan rulers get the option to convert if one does?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Was this pre-patch? They toned down the chance of unreformed pagans requesting conversions in this week's patch. It could just be coincidence.

It's post-patch. Must be coincidence then.

Speaking of which, I know Pagans can request sponsors in order to mass convert, but is there an option for the reverse? Can a reformed religion offer to sponsor one?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

BBJoey posted:

Got an issue I can't understand: as the Byzantines in the 867 start, why aren't I becoming the liege of Bulgaria if I press someone's claims for it? My personal experience and the tooltip indicates I should be, but it's not happening. Is it to do with them controlling land outside of de jure Bulgaria?

Is the claimant your vassal before you press their claim? You have to land them first.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Has anyone done a Hellenic revival playthrough yet? I'm going through one right now and it's rough.

1. How do you raise MA high enough to reform? I have three holy sites, but the only avenue for raising MA I see is county conquests (no way I can do 20 of those in enough time) or capturing other holy sites, one of which is held by the Pope.

2. Is there any way to get a secret society to do something if you're not a member? I (regrettably) declared my faith openly once I was elected to Emperor, which forced me out of the society. I've ruled as Emperor for at least 20 years and the society has done nothing other than recruit more members (presumably; I see a lot of "Sympathy for Pagans" traits in my realm). It would be nice if they declared now that, you know, the Emperor and his family are openly ruling as Hellenes, but...

Also, has anyone else encountered a bug where your allies are hostile when they shouldn't be? Early on I was allied with a neighboring duchy, and I Holy Warred a nearby pagan province. My ally joined the fight and appeared as the typical blue stack, but they immediately began besieging my capital. I was forced to attack them. Later I tried to attach them to my army, and the ally stack moved towards me but stopped one province away and refused to attach. I checked their allegiances to see if they were somehow associated with my target, but they weren't. I'm almost 100% certain this is a bug but I've never encountered it before.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

I did and apart from the first Crusade it was pretty easy. I was Byzantium though.

Basically you need to take Rome and Alexandria before you declare yourself fully Hellenic. Get as many vassals as you can into your secret cult, but the catch point is two things. You need all 5 holy sites so you can reform without worrying about your moral authority, and you need religious revocation enabled.

Once you have all 5 holy sites you declare your true faith to the Gods then reform immediately. Once you do that, go through your vassals one by one and ask them to convert. If they're not 'true believers' they might need a bit of gold or an honorary title but they should say yes. If not wait them out, you are Byzantine, they should be viceroys. Once they die find a person who will convert and give them the title.

You should be able to convert most of your dukes this way, and they will go ham revoking titles for you and converting the lands. Orthodox Moral Authority will completely and utterly implode so you should gain the momentum of a wrecking ball.

I didn't take this step but if you also grab Jerusalem you can reform Christianity which will disable crusades.

I thought Hellenic didn't allow asking to convert? I'm playing as the Byzantines myself and I don't have that option.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Is there a way to send forces to China to help the ruling dynasty? My Zoroastrian game is at a lull due to an annoying period of calm and the emperor, my bro, is in the middle of a civil war. Be nice to send my mercenary company over to help him out even if the scales involved would make 3000 dudes more of a token gesture than anything

There is usually the option to send over commanders if China is facing civil war or invasion. There may also be an option to send forces through the diplomacy window but I don't remember for sure. I do know I sent supplies during a period of plague but I don't remember if you can do the same during war.

Otherwise, no I don't think there is a way to do so.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Yadoppsi posted:

Thanks to everyone who answered my newbie DLC questions. Ended up loving the game and bought a few more expansions b4 the Steam sale ended (this is how it starts huh lol). Without realizing the challenge I was getting into I started a new Viking Age game as the Zoroastrian Duke of Karen. It seems like the best way too survive is swear loyalty to a muslim ruler but that doesnt seem like something my character would do unless a craven heir inherits.

Do I have any chance of surving independent and is it worth it to conquer those Zoroastrian tribal holdings to my north?

I just got done playing a Karen game. I survived without ever having to pledge fealty to a Muslim.

- Don't bother conquering tribal or nomad holdings. It's not worth the hassle.
- Early on, you'll want to limit the number of enemies you face. I'd park your Chancellor in the capital of the Samanids (you may also want to Sway the ruler) and focus on the Saffarids first.
- Using your starting levies + event troops + getting 300 Jewish gold and hiring mercs, you should be able to win a Holy War for Khiva. But you have to be quick to make sure the Samanids don't get involved. If successful, wait out the truce and hoard gold, keeping around 300 in reserve to buy mercs and pay them for a few months in an emergency.
- Eat the Saffarids one duchy at a time, making sure you keep the Samanids in positive relations to dissuade them from entering the holy war.

You'll want to avoid a border with the Abbasids for as long as possible. Once the Saffarids are mostly dealt with, switch to swaying the Abbasids to keep them happy and use the same tactics against the Samanids.

Also, keep on eye on your trade routes (turn on Trade on your map modes), especially the Silk Road. Provinces with bags of gold on them are especially lucrative, and I think you start with one (Gurgan). If it's not in your personal demesne (I think it is but I don't remember), revoke it when you can risk the holder revolting. Then build the upgrades in the trade post window (select the province and click the arrow on the side of the province upgrades window to open it.)

Karen is a fun campaign, but it does get a little boring at times since you almost never have religious allies and rarely press claims for claimants. At least now you can marry Tengri and Buddhists (so try to get allies, especially among the Nomads).

Disillusionist fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 4, 2019

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

There's an independent Shia ruler on the shore of the Caspian sea that you should attack first. Since all the other nearby Muslim states are Sunni, no one will help him.

The risk with that strategy is that it brings you closer to having a border with the Abbasids, who will invade you soon after you gain a border with them. I actually don't remember if I nabbed part of the Shia realm or not when I played my successful Karen run, but it's something you have to consider when you start moving west.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I got the Murderer bloodline that lets me personally pursue murder plots. Am I wrong or is this pretty useless? The only way I'd get over 100% plot score on my own would be if I were a spymaster (not applicable as I'm the highest liege), or trying to murder my ward/wife.

Am I missing something?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
On a related note, I recently captured the heir to West Francia on a raid. He was the only male heir and grandchild of the current king (I had actually sacrificed one of his sons to the gods and another died in my dungeons, all without me realizing it) and he was 3. So I educated him to be Reformed Germanic and Norse, (accidentally) ransomed him at 14 and he inherited the throne shortly after.

Of course, the Franks weren't happy to be ruled by a pagan so he faced a civil war almost immediately, I decided not to join because I was months away from fulfilling the See the Realm Prosper ambition, and he was deposed.

A few years later he gets "killed by peasant rabble," which seems appropriate. I forget how that outcome happens but it was a fitting end to the short-lived pagan king of Francia.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
What are fun ways to play a Satanic ruler? I just joined as a 16-year old; my previous experiences all came with older rulers who died before I had much of a chance to mess around with the mechanics.

Are there any negative repercussions to being in a Satanic cult (or any religious cult) as a ruler? I imagine my Court Chaplain can't have me killed. I'm playing as the Fylkir, too, so I am my own religious head.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
What are some fun underdog scenarios? I've done Karen (restored Persian Empire) already.

I've barely played Catholics or Muslims and haven't touched the continent of India. I'm looking for something that's a decent challenge but isn't "you start with one province surrounded by an empire and it will take you 300 years to become a Duke" type stuff.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I'm playing as the Byzantines. For some reason, only some of my children are showing up on the candidates list for succession. Multiple Born in the Purple kids are straight up not appearing on the list. Nephews/nieces are appearing over my own direct children. Is this a known issue?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I just recently learned that you can use favors to force foreigners to join your court, even those of other religions. There are limits, though.

In my current Byzantine Empire game (Alexiad start), I've successfully pressed claims for the kingdoms of Daylam, Syria and Anatolia, allowing me to fight the Turks without Holy Warring and facing a dozen other Sunni realms.

1. Find a male claimant to desired kingdom (or female if the title you want allows female rulers, but in my case it's only males)
2. Bribe/Sway him until he likes you enough to accept you buying his favor (you have to give them money for them to...accept more money from you)
3. Once you have their favor, use it to Invite to your Court. They have to be unmarried, unlanded, not on the council, and not directly related to their liege to accept. For example, I invited a claimant of Syria, but only after I killed the Shah (his elder brother). The new Shah was the claimant's nephew, and that was sufficiently removed to allow him to come to my court.
4. Then, treat like any other claimant (land them, marry them if you want, force conversion, etc.) and press their claim.

I want to try this with a Karen campaign next, because early on your only options for expansion are Holy Wars and it's hard as poo poo. Also, once you're an Empire you can gain entire kingdoms this way and not have to gobble them up one duchy at a time.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Node posted:

I still haven't gotten back into the swing of things. I'm playing in the HRE. How do I manipulate marriages to get claims on other duchies or kingdoms?

1. Find someone with a claim you want. If female, marry them normally. If male, marry them matrilineally so the offspring are of your dynasty. If they're already married, kill the spouse first.
2. Claims will pass to kids when the parent dies. So, either wait for them to die or speed things along yourself. Now, the kid/kids will have the claim and you can push their claim or kill everyone ahead of them in the line of succession.

Something else you can do is marry someone who has or will have a claim, get them to inherit the title you want and then wait for their child to inherit. For example, if I'm King of England and I want to absorb France (which you can't do by pressing someone else's claim for the kingdom since it's an equal level), marry a princess who has a claim and then either press her claim, or get her to inherit the title by killing everyone ahead of her in the line of succession. Then, your child with her will become the next heir and will inherit both kingdoms.

But be careful; strong claims will pass to direct heirs but not all weak claims will. Some will only pass if the claim is pressed in war.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Goon Danton posted:

I don't think this is always true! Strong claims can be non-heritable iirc. You have to check each claim to make sure.

poo poo, you're right. I forgot that Fabricated claims are strong but aren't heritable. According to the wiki, neither are claims given by the Pope or claims held by a viceroy that gains independence (not that that ever happens).

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Speaking of which, is there a surefire way to prevent a Crusade playing as the Byzantines?

Does having good relations with the Pope matter?
Does having NAP or alliances with Catholic powers prevent them from joining Crusades?
Does taking specific territory cause a Crusade to happen?

In my previous Alexiad campaign, there was an early Crusade for Thrace which was held by Rum. The Catholics won and carved out a small kingdom of three provinces. Over a century later, I conquered the last province they had and took the kingdom title. Within a year, they declared another Crusade for Thrace targeting me.

In my current campaign, the same thing happened. They now have one little province in Thrace, although this time I created the Kingdom of Thrace title before they launched their Crusade. I'm afraid of taking that lone province though in case they decide to Crusade me.

Also, I am capable of taking Jerusalem from the Seljuks, but once again I'm afraid of the Catholics deciding to attack me for the crime of liberating the Holy Land from infidels.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Anyone have creative suggestions for getting rid of a poo poo heir under primo? Can’t make the guy take the vows, can’t give the guy a bishopric, he went off adventuring at one point but didn’t die, I’m in the satanists but can’t abduct him, I’ve been having him lead my armies but he hasn’t died despite having 0 martial score. Very out of practice with this game so I forget if there are any other good tricks.

You can also make him a general and leave him in a diseased province.

Last time I was in your situation, I was also in the Satanists and got a random event (after a previous event gave me the werewolf trait) that killed a random courtier. It turned out to be the lovely heir. Sorry, son.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

pidan posted:

I have no idea how the AI decides who gets to be Byzantine emperor. While the old emperor is alive it's generally his firstborn shown as the heir, but then five years later the title goes to some rando I've never seen before.

Eligible nominees:

1. Anyone with a strong claim (ie, children of a previous Emperor)
2. All commanders
3. The Marshall on the council

This is as long as they don't have any disfigurements (genetic ones like Harelip and Clubfoot along with Blinded or Castrated; I think having one hand/eye is fine but not 100% certain).

Voters hate:

1. Vices (and Craven/Ambitious traits)
2. Children (will almost never inherit without forcing favors due to massive penalties)
3. Women, especially if they are married to foreign rulers
4. Foreign rulers with claims
5. Foreign culture
6. Infidels/heretics

Voters love:

1. Virtues (and Brave/Strong/Brawny/Attractive)
2. Born in the purple trait
3. Competent commanders
4. Having high intrigue
5. Themselves, usually (if a voter is also an eligible nominee they will usually vote for themselves even if your candidate has a higher "score")
6. Their dynasts

So whenever I play as anyone but the Byzantine Emperor, I often see the throne switching between dynasties frequently, multiple claimant wars and such.

Speaking of which, I just lost the throne for the first time ever on succession because my 32 year old otherwise healthy emperor died of stress. He got the Stress trait from the Business focus he selected one year before gaining the throne, and in the seven years of his reign I was unable to lose the Stress trait. I hadn't bothered forcing favors because my son was 2 years from adulthood and I figured I had plenty of time to change hearts and minds. The one voter I managed to befriend through the Carousing focus died a few months before my emperor, too. I guess it's time to plot from the shadows.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also keep in mind this about claims: if you press someone's claim, and the claim title is lower than your title, he/she will become your vassal only if: he/she is of your dynasty; he/she is already a landed vassal of yours. Otherwise, it will be an independent realm

They also become your vassal if the title is part of your de jure realm. For example, in the Alexiad start playing as Alexios I always start by inviting the sole heir to the Kingdom of Serbia and immediately pressing his claim (without landing him). Since Serbia is de jure part of the Byzantine Empire, the King becomes my vassal after the war.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
You can also form NAPs with rulers that have close dynastic ties, which can then become alliances. But that isn't relevant often unless you are playing under a liege and there are other dynasty members who are vassals in the same realm.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Do Great Works benefits stack? I built a Great Library and then conquered Baghdad so now I have 2. I guess they're not identical since the House of Wisdom was already leveled up and maxed out with upgrades while mine is only level 2, but if the benefits don't stack I'll have to plan my library better.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

chippocrates posted:

I'm playing a Byzantine game from the Alexiad start and am running into issues with the vassal limit. Due to the type of inheritance the empire uses, I can't usurp Kingdom level titles, so to the east is a Seljuk sultan with 7 Kingdom level titles - some of which he holds none of the de jure land for. As I can't usurp kingdom titles, I can't reduce the number of vassals I have and therefore can't expand further.

Any ideas other than the console?

A few ideas:

- Raise your vassal limit, either by increasing your Diplomacy or by granting more council privileges. This sucks though because you can only do it once per 10 years and it only raises your limit by 1 each time I think.

- Give your vassals more titles each. Give each Doux two or three duchies.

- Create Kingdom titles and hand then out as viceroys. This will reduce your overall number of vassals.

I always play Alexiad with *half* vassal limit in the game rules for a challenge and I typically don't run into issues with the vassal limit. But that may be because I always create kingdoms and have super-vassals.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

So a couple of questions. I've been starting new game after new game because that period of time seems to be the most fun. Is the general flow of the game to kinda put people on your council, gets your kids married, and then just let the days tick by until a cool story box pops up? What else should I actively be doing? I made myself a lustful Petty King whose trying to seduce his way up the social latter by getting in the skirts of the queen of Norway and England.

Also, when looking for a Witcher universe mod, the mod "After the End" was suggested. I looked it up and it looks more Fallout than Witcher. It looks cool as hell, but not sure how it's Witchery.

And lastly, are there any mods that dramatically extend the end time of the game? Something that starts with the Vikings and then goes into an "After the End" type scenario through all thousand years or so?

General flow of the game:

1. Have a short-term goal. This could be acquiring the last county you need to form a duchy title, or acquiring enough gold to build an upgrade you need, or killing a rival/threat, etc.
2. Less important for newer players, but have a long-term goal like forming an empire, acquiring all the de jure territory of your title of choice, putting your dynasty on neighboring thrones, etc.

Just keep those in mind when you're playing. There are times when all you can really do is let the days pass until something happens. Having multiple short-term goals helps mitigate the waiting time.

As for your other question about starting date, I would recommend 1066 or later for a new player. The earlier start dates are fun (I almost always do the Old Gods start), but there's a lot of raiding going on and the tech levels are lower which limit your options.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Doesn't it change the map? Or does it only do that once you start a new campaign? I reverted back to the previous version precisely so that I could finish my ongoing campaign before moving on.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

verbal enema posted:

for my bball ck2 players out there

gently caress yes. Now I'm imaging Arian Foster and Kyrie summoning a divine being, trying to learn the operation of the Sun, and having Robert Sarver appear in a cloud of smoke and bequeathing upon them the prophecy of the Dragan Bender.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

It's entirely possible it was a religious conversion, but it was certainly an option to switch to what she was following, not the other way around. Bah. I just want to be able to change the dopey Catholic laws regarding women and don't have fancypants DLCs to do it with. :v:

Have her educate your heir and choose the Heritage focus. She will most likely change your heir's culture to her own. This also has a chance to change religion, too, but I assume you're both Catholic.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Any fun Buddhist campaigns? I'm tempted to try the nomad Liao realm in the new start but half the appeal of Buddhism is having high tech growth.

Also, what are some fun starts if I want to be a lowly count and play Littlefinger (that is, scheme my way to wealth and prestige and start my own noble house.) My first instinct was to play within the Byzantine Empire but having your duchy revoked for free is lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Quorum posted:

Similarly, I really want to play a Byzantine campaign again since it's been ages and they've had a lot of updates, but I'm spinning my wheels on where to start since I hate just starting off as the emperor. I seem to recall the fringes of the empire being useful for launching conquests and winning yourself a power base.

My last game in which I started off as a vassal was in Trebizond. One of the provinces lies on the silk road, and in pretty much any bookmark you border enemies so expansion is very possible.

Before I got bored of that campaign, I managed to form the Kingdom of Trebizond and become the emperor's most important vassal and could have become emperor if I bribed enough people. The only pitfall lies in the fact that the emperor can ban vassal wars off the bat. So make sure you keep an eye out on law votes and have enough favors to keep wars allowed (external at the very least). Once it's changed I think it takes 50 years to be eligible for another vote!