Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So, we have any good shows coming out in January?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I’d be interested to know what the pecking order is among YouTube stars.

For instance, which of these channels is :airquote: bigger :airquote:?
Neebs Gaming - >1.7M subs with ~130k-200k views per video with 4-6 videos per week
-OR-
RedLetterMedia - >900k subs with 400-800k views per video with 1-2 videos per week

Looking at just subs, Neebs seems bigger, but looking at videos, RLM seems more popular. In reality, their weekly viewership is probably about the same, but I’m curious about how the actual content-producers see it.

Don't look too much at subs. Youtube today is very algorithm and retention driven. For example, it doesn't matter how many people are subscribed to you if Youtube start filtering your videos out of their subscription feeds (yes this is a real thing) because they aren't clicking on your vids enough. Same with referrals and search results, a bunch of factors such as viewer retention dramatically effect how many get to see your videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

His poo poo is all staged anyway. He was surprisingly candid about it in the (really uneven, but I still liked it) Shane Dawson series on him.

Running thru LA traffic is still dumb as poo poo tho.

Problem with his stunts is that it always inspires others to put themselves in real danger.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They're brothers right? I don't even want to know what that childhood must have been like.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They're just entertainers, same as the TV celebrities you used to watch on telly back when you were a kid. It's getting mainstream attention because it has grown inconceivably huge.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Angie Tribeca sure managed to grab a lot of fun actors for the new season, lots of up-comers too. :shobon:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

I just booted up the first episode. Why have i never heard of this show!

This is me, but every good show ever made.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Didn't miss like Killing Eve, Barry or Bodied did you?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

So I decided to finally start Killing Eve last night, and may or may not have powered through 6 episodes in one sitting. Finishing up the last two right now. This is excellent, but I'm glad I waited to watch it. If I'd done it when I had a bunch of people suggesting it to me in the worst possible way, I probably would have been mildly annoyed and not been able to really watch it without distraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0qC9qgWS8c
CRASH, BOOM, BANG

EDIT: Killing Eve just has such incomprehensible amounts of energy to it. It's probably the best paced show hands downs I've watched since Spartacus finished up.

EDIT2: Jesus this loving album they found for the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igu0GCpKVnc

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 10, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jake Gyllenhal going crazy is always the best Jake Gyllenhal.

EDIT: It's me, I'm the guy that liked Source Code.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 10, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

And now I finished "You" in one sitting!
To be fair, I was on a long train ride and didn't have a lot of better things to do.

Its certainly something else. I think I need to digest this before I could tell if I actually liked it, or if it was just weirdly immersive.

The thing I liked most about You is how it's so oddly comical and surreal at times. The guy is like a savant murderer with what he gets away with. I literally spit my drink during the shopping list scene.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The man is a treasure.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hahaha holy poo poo, Netflix paid influencers to start the Birdbox challenge.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Don't have an english source, Swedish investigative journalists Medierna (of Swedish Radio) reported on it last friday.

EDIT: Jump to 26:00ish, parts of it are in English.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Why wasn't the Daredevil challenge a thing. I don't think anyone gives a gently caress about the Birdbox movie.

Literally one of the most viewed movies of last year.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

ehhhhhh, according to them. Netflix has a pretty big financial motivation making sure they not only have the BIGGEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR but also proving to bigger names that its not shameful to do direct to streaming movies now

I suspect even some pretty dog-poo poo movies could get high numbers if they weren't attached to ticket-fees/piracy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I tried watching the first episode of Titans and boy is this a grim-dark confused mess of a tv-show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

There is no loving way Solo is as bad as the prequels.

The Phantom Menace was better.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

less laughter posted:

Solo *is* a prequel

:drat:

Also Rogue One was also a bad prequel. I think all Star Wars prequel-stories are just automatically bad if they have too strong of a plot connection to the originals.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

IRQ posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back.

Don't make me summon the spirit of Hbomberguy into this thread.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Checked out Corporate after someone mentioned it off-hand and now I am in love and as always confused at how I completely missed this.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Steven Yuen was fantastic in Mayhem. I'd watch Burning if I had any idea of where to find it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Go watch Mayhem everyone!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha holy poo poo did things get racist quickly in Killer Mike episode 3 once the focus group were asked about Hells Angels.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ok so those might have been the most confusing first 10 minutes of a pilot I've ever watched but wow is the pilot of Wayne a 10/10. :stare:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Oh man nobody told me there was a new Gordon Ramsey Calls People Donkeys show and it's on season 2. Hell yesssssss

That's an accurate description of almost every US show Ramsey has ever been in though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Shlock isn't even inherently a negative thing, Spartacus is pure unashamed shlock in every possible way and it might be literally the best TV show ever made as a result

:five:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus just let the show die.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

The CW has renewed a bunch of their shows:
Arrow
Black Lightning
Charmed
Dynasty
The Flash
Legacies
Riverdale
Supergirl
Supernatural
Legends Of Tomorrow

Not announced yet:
The 100
Roswell, NM
All American

Isn't The 100 always renewed at the last second?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lycus posted:

I feel like chances are good they're gonna go down to the planet and there's gonna be primitive alien natives.

Gotta have something to genocide or the show would lose its spark.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Kingdom might be my fav show of the year.

Why are you making me want to watch the weird korean zombie show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Legion season 3 is coming out in June and it is the last season.

Really hoping it won't be as much of a disappointment this time. Both S1 and S2 were very un-even, drifting between great and tiring pretty much episode to episode.

EDIT: For reference, here's a case of season 2 being great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzD1Ko7fFeo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Btw, to anyone who appreciates Dan Stevens excellent work in Legion. Go watch The Guest, it's the best work he has ever done.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Best work anyone has ever done.

:five:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's just a stylistic masterpiece all around from start to finish.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

They do that too, you just don't see it because it's not a televised awards ceremony.

Yeah like there is no shortage of industry award shows (even within the movie and TV-industry!) that thankfully don't get televised.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m starting to think B99 shouldn’t have been revived

Finally.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah that's not how you're supposed to use focus groups at all (not that I think focus groups are appropriate for movie production period).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I was just reminded about 2018 tv phenomenon Insatiable and am now desperately trying and failing to find information about the second season. :saddowns:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'M A GOOD PERSON, I'M A GOOD PERSON, I'M A GOOD PERSON, I'M A GOOD PERSON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

All the CW shows are being taken off Netflix for yet another streaming service.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/warnermedia-reveals-streaming-service-details/

Piracy getting more and more attractive by the minute.