Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Joementum posted:

btw there’s a really fun history of Henry Ford trying to make a rubber empire happen in Brazil and failing spectacularly

There's also Fitzcarraldo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Epic High Five posted:

I cannot recommended it highly enough to every single person in the US

It's like a people's history but laser focused on slavery and capitalism and is laid out like a really comprehensive yet accessible narrative

A little late but more on the same theme:
  • American Slave Coast — great companion read to The Half...
  • Stamped From The Beginning — racism history
  • Invention Of The White Race — more racism, in particular about how (for example) Irish and Italian people became "white" when they debarked in the US
  • The Color Of Law — racist real estate laws and traditions
  • Rough Crossings — Simon Schama classic about the Revolution and how the British freeing of cooperative slaves turned out (amazing, depressing story)

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Am I wrong in thinking that Bolsonaro is going to be blowing as much Chinese dick as possible?

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

hey friends here's a thing I learned the other day. First, this post is for AMERICANS because we're dumb

The Beatles song "Helter Skelter". What does it make you think about? Manson murders? Crazy 60s hippie poo poo? Social turmoil?

Watching the Great British Baking poo poo the other day a dude made a "Helter Skelter" cake. I first thought "lol British stupid food names" but nobody in the show seemed to think it was weird at all. The cake was a tall conical tower with a spiral of red cookies glued on, going around from the top to the bottom.

I suddenly realized that "Helter Skelter" is a noun describing some kind of playground equipment. Sure enough, it's a spiral slide around a conical center.

So the whole Helter Skelter song, all the lyrics, take on a fundamentally different meaning when you realize they're literally about playing on a slide.

no just the plain bean burrito

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

did you know that "lucy in the sky with diamonds" is about a crayon picture that paul drew for george

yea sure, still cool.

People taking those guys seriously was the worst thing that could have happened to them.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Nae! posted:

i didnt read this post past 'great british bake' because ive been watching the poo poo outta that show on netflix over christmas vacation and now i just wanna watch it more

yea well the Helter Skelter cake came out OK but no more spoilers

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

hi friendoids hers a vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6EOXT6_inw

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

every piece of java code I’ve seen in my professional career has been horrible and it’s all results of their stupid design pattern philosophy and people thinking they need to use one at every turn

java mindsets produce the worst preachy devs who still manage to bang out code that’s unreadable and could I also get a dozen donut holes with that

I stopped answering Java questions on Stackoverflow because the Java Pedant Brigade is constantly on patrol, ready to slam any answer to any question that does not involve one of the 17,000 components of JBOSS or whatever's trendy that week.

It's much more pleasant answering JavaScript questions, chill people there.

Also I've been programming in Java since about 1998.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

white sauce posted:

Lmao owned old man

Srsly if you haven't heard the term "design pattern" you're not hanging around authentic Java framework fanatics. It's been a thing for like two decades. It's mostly either obvious stuff or practices designed to deal with the wretched inadequacies of Java.

Cool people use Clojure (or Scala I guess, but those people scare me) to get access to the Java ecosystem from a non-poo poo language.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

The slats on the wall should have a shallow "V" shape, with the pointy edge pointed straight at the heart of MEXICO.

That way the wall mural on the slats can look one way from one direction, and something else from the other.

Or maybe the mural should be what the land looks like on the other side so people can't even tell it's there until the caravan slams right into it boom

this is an off-brand post

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

emfive posted:

this is an off-brand post

speaking of brands I went to an outlet mall yesterday

it was fascinating

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

emfive posted:

it was fascinating

There was what appeared to be a tourgroup of PRC eighth graders there with enviable yellow windbreakers embroidered with the PRC flag and I think the Olympics logo. They were shopping.

This was in noted tourist destination San Marcos, TX.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

If all the bad people are coming in through airports the wall should be tall enough to keep airplanes out too.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtbKSXoueks

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

So Trump's announcement of an immediate withdrawal from Syria was pretty much exactly the same as Putin's announcement of an immediate withdrawal from Syria.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

they could do a lenticular thing

you know there's a relationship between the words "lens" and "lentil" and that has for some years now made me really love lentils, even more than I ordinarily would

With some bags of lentils and a 50 pound sack of dried potatoes costing less than 18 cents you can live for many

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Bert Roberge posted:

Nancy is great.

The dilbert guy sucks.

It's a little insensitive to insult the mentally ill

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

"I served his campaign the best I could"

that's a prepared speech and that horrid grammatical error was left in, I hate these people so much

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

thank you for your service

Ordinary brain: "lentils kind-of look like little magnifying glasses"

Huge throbbing brain: "magnifying glasses look like huge lentils"

[edit] it occurs to me that Idli look like huge lentils and they might in fact be made from legumes that are pretty much lentils

fried idli are ridiculously good somebody should have a fried idli food truck

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Reality Winter posted:

Is it too late for stores to carry egg nog

real 19th century nog is made with like a dozen egg yolks soaked in at least a quart of whiskey or rum (or both) then blended with the beaten whites of the eggs, plus cream and a splash of vanilla. That's pretty much it, except for some additional whiskey or rum (or both) to get the right pourable consistency.

It's really good and after having like a dozen little glasses of it you lose consciousness and then start throwing up a lot.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgN1sLcAQnw

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

I'm thinking that a 30' tall steel wall (with 10' in the ground at least) and probably a couple inches thick stretching a thousand or more miles would represent a whole lot of steel.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Ash1138 posted:

sarah with that "just found out my brother killed the dog" look on her face

"Well dogs can sometimes be a very negative influence, and many times exhibit criminal behavior. We have to be firm on criminals."

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

haljordan posted:

She probably can't get another job

Fox sure as poo poo won't hire her to sit around with the blondes.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

like the wall is just so loving insanely stupid from a feasibility standpoint and it hurts to even think about. it's like "yeah let's just re-direct the entirety of the american economy to build a wall that does nothing". it's loving painful to see people talk about it like it will actually happen instead of a giant grift by bechtel where $5bn is absconded with for nothing in return. $5bn barely loving covers the "cheap" part that can be done from a desktop like acquisition or design. the whole thing will run into the trillions loving easily

also not to mention people will just roll out to the wall with a torch and make off with some free steel

If you've ever spent time anywhere close to the South Texas border region then everything you say is true except times 3. It's a horrifically hostile environment, except for the little islands where some people live and of course they all need to be displaced.

Also the "we don't need to build the wall over the whole region because there are natural barriers" hmm where have I heard that before ...

[edit] also also don't forget that the wall needs to be sunk really deep, deeper than necessary for the basic support of a 30' tall thick steel fence, or else people will just tunnel under it. And given time and motivation unless the wall foundation goes down like 100 feet it's hopeless anyway.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

How close to San Antonio/Austin is San Marcos, iirc something like half of the large high-end apartment complexes in the corridor have been financed or outright bought out by Benimax.

It's about 25 miles south of Austin, and like 45 miles from San Antonio. There's stuff in San Marcos but only if you're an abnormal Texas appreciator like me who's lived here for decades; to most people it's a wide spot in the road, though there is a nice college campus (where LBJ went :911: )

[edit] and any "high end" apartments in San Marcos are explicitly designed to be student housing for Texas State. At least the vast majority.

The Outlet Mall (actually two, one right next to the other; the "Premium Outlets" and the "Tanger Outlets"). People drive from one Mall to the other causing big traffic issues. They are literally across the street from each other.

There's a Fudge outlet in the Tanger mall but most people consider it to be the "low class" outlet mall because the Gucci outlet is in the other one.

emfive has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Jan 6, 2019

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

emfive posted:

It's about 25 miles south of Austin, and like 45 miles from San Antonio. There's stuff in San Marcos but only if you're an abnormal Texas appreciator like me who's lived here for decades; to most people it's a wide spot in the road, though there is a nice college campus (where LBJ went :911: )

[edit] and any "high end" apartments in San Marcos are explicitly designed to be student housing for Texas State. At least the vast majority.

The Outlet Mall (actually two, one right next to the other; the "Premium Outlets" and the "Tanger Outlets"). People drive from one Mall to the other causing big traffic issues. They are literally across the street from each other.

There's a Fudge outlet in the Tanger mall but most people consider it to be the "low class" outlet mall because the Gucci outlet is in the other one.

for normal people this is literally the most interesting stuff about San Marcos.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

mormonpartyboat posted:

theres a huge chinese population in the area, and you'll see actual sandwich board signs around those malls, entirely in chinese advertising something or other.

gently caress now i want dim sum

uh well there's not a huge population of anybody around there, though you do see those Chinese credit card signs in the outlet mall. :iiam:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

There's a John Singer Sargent portrait in the San Antonio Museum of Art of a Vanderbilt woman. She looks a lot like Anderson Cooper (esp in that screencap).

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

DryGoods posted:

the best test of a chef is a simple omelette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu5zGHjRaMo

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

btw it was me who changed the TV to Laverne & Shirley

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

docbeard posted:

The town where I lived years ago had a volunteer rescue squad that didn't charge people for ambulance rides at all, and even like a decade later that still blows my mind.

when one of my kids was little he used to get light-headed and faint occasionally. Once he fainted and my wife called 911 and some fire dept paramedics came and did basically nothing (because the kid was fine really), but they got to my house in no time at all and were very nice. It was free and that still perplexes me.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

emfive posted:

when one of my kids was little he used to get light-headed and faint occasionally. Once he fainted and my wife called 911 and some fire dept paramedics came and did basically nothing (because the kid was fine really), but they got to my house in no time at all and were very nice. It was free and that still perplexes me.

ohg also just recently my daughter rescued a little bat from being stepped on but then panicked and went to a doctor, and a for-real doctor looked at her hands and told her not to worry about it, and they charged nothing. :unsmith:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

sullat posted:

thank u for ur service, spook cat

Only registered members can see post attachments!

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

most of the popcorn in these sucked, we frequently only ate third of it

Tito's Vodka was a customer of ours for a while and they sent vodka for crimbus

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

A while ago I saw a presentation by an IBM lawyer who'd for a time been in charge of making sure that IBM didn't sell computers to people on a government security list.

She said the lists commonly included names like "Mr. Rodriguez" or "El Jefe".

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Stevie Lee posted:

any book recommendations on the subject?

Schama's Citizens is pretty good, lots of focus on art of course.

There is pretty much an infinite pile of writing about the Napoleonic years.

Ooo oo I almost forgot my favorite book of all time, Rebecca Spang's The Invention Of The Restaurant. It's what made me start reading about 18th/19th century France in the first place. Her newer book, Stuff And Money, is also fascinating but I'm still re-reading it because I'm not smart enough to understand it and I can't pronounce the important French money term "assignats".

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

emfive posted:

Schama's Citizens is pretty good, lots of focus on art of course.

There is pretty much an infinite pile of writing about the Napoleonic years.

Ooo oo I almost forgot my favorite book of all time, Rebecca Spang's The Invention Of The Restaurant. It's what made me start reading about 18th/19th century France in the first place. Her newer book, Stuff And Money, is also fascinating but I'm still re-reading it because I'm not smart enough to understand it and I can't pronounce the important French money term "assignats".

also Duff Cooper's old biography of Talleyrand is hilarious. Talleyrand was cspam as gently caress

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

hi its me lafayette im going to have one moment of brilliance helping a bunch of tobacco farmers in the new world annoy the british into surrender and then spend the rest of my public career in prison in austria. someday, ill have a solo in a musical about hamilton lmao

He lived to see Louis Phillipe crowned King of the French, so he was kind-of rehabilitated politically after 1815.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

ScrubLeague posted:

of the three train systems i have been on, chicago is the worst. it's still good as hell because city trains rule, but chicago is still by far worse than dc and ireland

Brits bitch all the time about London transit but seriously it's like science fiction to most Americans, especially some of the bigger, newer stations. It's awe-inspiring in a "how can this possibly be real" way.