Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Mr Hootington posted:

Alpha Centarian?!? Who dug that dude up!

Centurion (just to be admittedly pedantic). But seriously, seeing him just brought a flood of triangle numbered issues back into my brain. I'm amazed even one other person knew immediately who that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I’ll take that over her calling Clark “babe” any day.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Guess I should just wait another 15 years for this to clear up. So long, Wally.

They can't reboot until after Doomsday Clock finishes so yeah 15 years seems about right.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

It really amuses me that they’re just repeating the exact lovely parts of the Chris Kent plot from a decade(?) ago.

“The interactions of Lois and Clark with this young kid is so wholesome and good. Let’s ship him off to the phantom zone for a while and then he comes back and gasp he’s older”.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyway, for anyone who's forgotten the current Shazam! run exists, here's the last panel of last week's issue...

Hrmmm.

I am baselessly speculating and it’s absolutely farthest thing from the truth, but I’m choosing to believe all the delays are from Johns just digging in and stomping his feet saying “I’m USING the drat NAME”.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Imagine four Jokers on the edge of a cliff.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Covok posted:

This doesn't matter though, right? Johns is no longer CCO.

This is absolutely the weirdest part to me. If this was maybe 10 years ago we're at peak "DC Architect Johns", he's effectively shepherding everything and managing multiple series that set the tone. Now what ongoing is he even writing right now, just Shazam? Do we think he's going to start writing another 2-3 series in 2020/2021? I know he's not necessarily on the outs with DC but my reaction to reading the future stuff was of him walking into the editorial offices and dropping a giant stack of papers labeled "MY COOL COOL IDEAS" before putting on his sunglasses and walking into the sunset.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I finally realized--despite thinking Three Jokers was decent--what the worst part is. Imagine if it was a series released with minimal fanfare and no advanced teasing. They made it 6 issues instead of 3 oversized ones, and you end the first issue out of nowhere with the three Jokers meeting in the cabin and talking. That could have been cool and even a little surprising, and you'd want to see where they go.

Instead, we're not 5 years after the initial tease and--much like with Doomsday Clock--what feels like a third of the issue released ahead of time with sketches and preview art and interviews, and now we get it and like Darth Nat said most of the first issue is just Batman's scars. The art does a lot of the heavy lifting but oof.

Also, I still feel like there's a 10% chance that there isn't even any kind of concrete reason about why all three Jokers exist. I can picture a Johns interview and when asked why he didn't confirm anything just goes "it isn't about that, it's not about where the Joker(s) came from, it's that there will ALWAYS be a Joker" or some stupid non-answer.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Rhyno posted:

https://darkknightnews.com/2020/10/...IIB6RMKBFkgoSXU

Holy poo poo NONE of this sounds interesting at all

Eh, for a 2 month "event" it's fine I'm interested in checking it out. But good lord, thinking about the pieces of this that were supposed to be part of the legitimate new 5G status quo is a whole other thing. I would not want to read 6+ months of this.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

McCloud posted:

I strongly disagree

I've been waffling since yesterday, but this is absolutely how I feel for one reason that I'll spoil.

"I knew the Joker's name one week after we first met. [...] So yes I know his name. But the Joker's name isn't what's important. It never has been." This is meant to be the button on the entire narrative and if you view it in isolation it actually is pretty good.

But then you remember that four years ago what started this entire story was BATMAN GETS OMNISCIENCE FROM THE MOBIUS CHAIR AND ASKS IT WHAT THE JOKER'S REAL NAME IS. Fine, even if Batman knew the chair might still give the same answer of "there's three" but then why ask? Why set it up as a this big mystery, because then it invalidates the whole not mattering of who he really is because that's the question you were trying to answers in the first place!

Like ultimately it's fine and it's a small detail, but if I hadn't suddenly remembered that part I would have felt a lot more positive towards it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

A small part of me is glad he's doing it with an unusual/unique lineup. I know that the League can have all kinds of members and does, but if they had literally given him the Big Seven I would have felt a lot crappier when he eventually disappointed me.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I liked Azzarello's run back when it was first going, but like people said if I went back with a 2021 lens I'd probably like it less and view it a little more critically.

I don't think I read any WW after his issues, is anything afterwards (pre-rebirth) worth reading? What about after rebirth with either Rucka or anyone after him?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Speak posted:

I'm in.

It's insane the whiplash you can get from seeing a headline/opening paragraph of "ugh, come on who could care" to hitting Tom Taylor's name and instantly being all in.

Also X-O is right, suit kicks rear end. I like it because it has a light touch of the New 52 suit, but then the way the cape stretches onto the shoulder pads and the S is a little warped make me think just a tad of DC 1,000,000 Superman.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Is there any indication as to what’s coming as the next major event after Infinite Frontier (without just answering “a crisis”)? I know the original CD plan was likely 5G related which is scrapped, but it seems like we’re still in the same-ish place we starting of “Darkseid something something multiverse”.

Overall I’ve liked the series but I think it was more interesting to follow when all the story threads were separate. Any one of those could have been it’s own mini almost, and now that it’s at the end and it’s just “everyone in the same place let’s fight” it seems less fun.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

OK, is Jonathan Kent alive again? Today's Superman had Jon bring his new boyfriend to the farm for dinner and it def looked like Clark's parents were both there?

End of Doomsday Clock tweaked the timeline and made them alive again in the present, and I thought that was the last time it changed.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

0(Hour)G

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I am fairly certain vampires have bitten Superman in the past and have been instantly repelled because of the solar radiation in his cellular structure.

I had the clearest recollection of this in my mind and I’m so happy to find it was real

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

The weirdest part of Dark Crisis was the last few pages to me. Usually the first issue of something will have a hook, something crazy, make you really want to read more. We get … and I’m not even spoilering this Pariah who we’ve seen multiple times being crazy and the Justice League is quasi alive. What didn’t we already know from the past 2-3 series preparing us for this?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Madkal posted:

No red underwear so the suit sucks.

I am fully 100% supportive of any gender/sexuality/race swapped character that angers internet losers, representation matters and it's great. But you give me those goddamn red underpants or I'm out.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I think it’s safe to say that whenever Johns rights a character/team, the first time it’s usually pretty drat good. Superman/Flash/Titans/Green Lantern/JSA are all awesome when he first writes. But the longer they go / the more times he comes back for another series years later, there’s nothing new. You’ve seen it all before.

Like I know he’s a classic villain and I KNOW it’s a natural fit for time travel, but my honest reaction to Golden Age was “oh boy … Per Degaton yet again”

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

DC’s continuity and characterization is a mess anyways, I don’t know if arguing if one miniseries is canon is really fruitful

It’ll all be wiped clean the next time editorial decides it needs a Crisis.

Dr Manhattan meme buts it’s with him saying multiple times “it is ####, there is a Crisis in the DC Universe”

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Why would they hate Taylor?

I’d expect it’s from writing Jon as bi and also his Suicide Squad series where he chose to focus on a cool new cast of minorities / LGBTQ members vs the legacy members.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't know DC as well, but I assume there's good stories where Clark and Lois aren't getting along but still love each other.

There was a very good period in the mid 90s where I forget the inciting incident but Lois gives him her engagement ring back. She is angry at him for being over protective and not letting her accomplish things on her own and that getting married would make her lose her individuality. It’s clear they still love each other but she’s in denial and wants space. Eventually in a great split issue between the two of them (Superman 118), Lois realizes she still loves him and sees evidence in the world for how much good Clark does and the next issue is the Wedding Special.

It isn’t really “iconic” in the same way in modern times you have superstar writers coming and going, but boy do I love love love the whole Triangle Numbering era.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

Are you asking for good Superman comics? All Star Superman is great, the first arc of One Year Later rocks, first arc of New 52 Actin Comics is cool, Superman Rebirth introducing his Superson is also amazing.

I am effectively going to repeat what you said but word it differently just because I think it may be easier to find if that is the goal.

If there's a Superman collection that's written by any of Grant Morrison, Peter Tomasi, Geoff Johns then it's a great read.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Just setting the stage for the 2030 Secret Crisis teased in Doomsday Clock!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I’m enjoying the flash because I like the hard sci-fi type stuff it’s dealing with, but I totally see everyone’s point. Honestly, this should have been a 12 issue maxiseries for DC Black Label. Reduce some of the time spent on family, amp up the body horror type stuff that comes from the new concepts, that would have been a nice outlier and you still get fun mainline Flash family elsewhere.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Taylor rights a great "Comic Book" versus others who write "Graphic Novels". It makes his work stand out and will be looked back on fondly. He is like a Jurgens or Giffen.

This is very much where I am, and a bunch of it is nostalgia but Jurgens is still one of my favorite writers.

Not everything needs to be grand and epic. More comics just need to be “fun”, and pretty much every Taylor comic leaves me with a big smile on my face and that’s exactly what you want sometimes.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Jiro posted:

I forget how many reboots ago this was, but has he still murdered a whole bunch of people?

TwoPair posted:

Unfortunately yes that's still canon apparently

Actually while I believe he still TECHNICALLY murdered them, it got a retcon where it wasn’t necessarily his fault from losing control and being emotional, there were outside (speed) forces that messed with him and that was the actual cause. So it still happened but he doesn’t really bear the burden of it anymore.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Ok J’onn being in that form is just making me think they’re cribbing from this super old Elseworld / out of continuity mini where that was “magic light flashes, all meta people lose powers” and J’onn was stuck in his natural form and had Batman and Green Arrow and other non powered people training people how to be no power heroes.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

The Last Call posted:

JLA: Act of God was definitely God awful.

Diana due to her background coming to worship the Christian God while being a rather pitiful person is defnitely up there as one of the key reasons.

Other reasons include:
Clark becoming a self hating drunk mess.
Lois and Clark breaking up.

As Calax said, it's very pro Batman and makes everyone else look stupid and inept in comparison.

As someone who adores Superman (see avatar), I think the portrayal / story for Superman there is among the worst I’ve ever read. Like even the JMS Grounded walking across America seems better in my mind than Clark being an absolute crying mess saying PAIN OH NO IVE NEVER FELT PAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

New Krypton’s one redeeming quality was a brief return to the triangle numbers.