Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/DitzyFlama/status/1759283109395079476

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

It's seen enough of us, it's loving done and I don't blame it.

finally the Singularity is come

and it's in broken Spanglish

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tort

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

Wow they've had at least a decade to stop being weird, niche and oft creepy and they haven't made any progress? Alright nevermind, wrap it up folks, there's no future here.

I just want to know what Baron Cyber Skull's new username is.

You are legitimately being weirder about vtubers than anybody else you're conversing with

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1760748342852673658

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

ok Baron Cyber Skull.

you can't fool me I see your game Baron Cyber Skull

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dark lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Benagain posted:

Thanks! It's always nice hearing about wild rear end drama I have nothing to do with and that makes the entire thing funnier

Yeah I figured it had something to do with her being an employee of nijisanji

That scandal made waves

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

when dougdoug made a reference to bad apple i knew the meme had hit it big

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dracula flow is a pretty known thing online

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Large Testicles posted:

says person who has a Hillary av in 2024

the moff hillary avs were part of a mass, uh, "gifting" wave a few years back

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I want to say it was early 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It’s been seven months.

ah, my mistake

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

quick but not quick enough, drat

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

that's a good dog

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Limmy ftmfw

https://twitter.com/BeldamLascar/status/1766896250220147003?s=20

Runa has a new favorite as of 12:21 on Mar 11, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

I feel like I'm going a little insane because this is basically how I've always pronounced it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02PWHjtGRSY

And how I've heard other people pronounce it my entire life, including in like British documentaries about the French revolution, but it was like the fifth or sixth "how to pronounce" video that said it that way. Most of the others use something closer to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH5BHAICrfQ

which to me sounds like calling the popular pepper "Jaw-Lap-En-Oss"

I've seen some English guides insist that you pronounce the L and I've heard it pronounced that way on some British TV shows but I've only ever heard it pronounced the French way in American English.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Americans are weird about that sort of thing. There's no blue cheese, it's 'bleu'. You can't say 'fillet', it's 'fill-ay'. I have no idea why.

I think American English is just slightly, just slightly, better with importing loanwords from romance languages than the British. Americans are ironically a lot more willing to respect the phonetics of Spanish or French, despite their reputation. Close access to Mexico and a large portion of the continental US being formerly French and Spanish territory did more to shape the dialect than people realize.

Also if you went to the US and tried to pronounce tortilla as "tor-till-ah" instead of "tor-tee-yah" everyone would look at you like you were hit on the head.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Obviously there are some glitches like how Americans pronounce "fillet" like "filet," or the pronunciation of French-derived forte more along the lines of the Italian musical term, but that's just how the dialect evolved.

Aramoro posted:

A lot of American spellings are just down to one guy Noah Webster who just made poo poo up because he thought it was better. He's the reason Americans lost the u from colour, he thought it would be easier for people to spell.

Sadly some of his best changes did not catch on

Soup - > Soop

Machine - > Mashen

Women - > Wimmin

Interestingly he wanted guillotine to be gillotin which suggests he pronounced it like the British.

What a place the states could have been.

lmao

what a timeline that would be

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Why are people saying that lady is CGI ?

wack rear end conspiracy theories about the royal family are en vogue atm

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

we did warn you about British pronunciations

Son of Rodney posted:

This is absolutely hilarious, seeing as the US mangles almost any word they try to pronounce, even if they at least give it the ol college try.

Yes hello, this is my friend gret-shuhn, she'd like a boo-reeto with jala-peen-jos and keh-soh, I'll have the tacos loh-cohs and some sir-vey-sah.

Not but for real, the us seems to make an effort even if it is a great source of amusement to hear it sometimes :)

I cannot understate how low of a bar I chose to set with that post

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmfao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

putin bustin out the silmarillion to explain to tucker carlson why ukraine must fall

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

jesus christ

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dameius posted:

No, talking about Mrs. Nancy Reagan.

an all-timer she was

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I mean…the “Spanish Flu”

yeah I was about to say

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nutfout could be the surname for an obstructive bureaucrat in a turn of the 20th century French satire.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

I've met people that believe the power of AI is so strong that the stuff it makes up is actually it telling us things we aren't able to figure out because its mega-AI brain is making connections and leading us to conclusions so far beyond us.

Naming it AI has caused a lot of deeply stupid people to already start believing it's decades (or even infinitely) beyond where it is.

ah, rip Rutibex

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why did those Walmarts have to wall up their esports arenas?

Alan Smithee posted:

for the love of god

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

beavers build houses. some birds build houses. ants, bees. this is foolishness.

We showed Tim a beaver and he immediately fainted

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lobok posted:

Socrates? Are you sure? Do you have primary sources? How might two people define obnoxious differently?

(eyes bottle of hemlock in the drawer)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Inceltown posted:

SA has managed to stay clean by being so deeply uncool that it isn't worth the effort. The problem is fixable it's just no one wants to do the work.

SA's bots come from hard working scammers who hijack credulous goon's accounts

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

freeedr posted:

I tried to just make my bio just say “you” after I posted that but it didn’t work

lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Woebin posted:

Maybe don't describe bottom surgery as "being flayed".

yes, but more importantly tell Drew Carey that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it's been 27 years since SotN came out. Parents with a younger kid have had more than enough time for that kid to grow up and have kids of their own and for those kids to be teenagers.

Yes, it is possible for an adult in the 90's to also have played a videogame.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

can someone explain this one to me? :shobon:

Black Twitter's having some fun with it

https://twitter.com/Emerah/status/1783895236294390156

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pepper's Ghost (pepper is a vtuber)