Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah he pulls the first Inhuman from an alien prison that now inhabits the body of Agent Ward who turns out to be the founder of Hydra and an actual cthulhu like evil being who can do.... something? I don't know, eat people, mind control? I don't remember. The kree show up to try and take him out but they get pulped.

How can he be the founder of Hydra when we literally see Red Skull found Hydra in Captain America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Because Hydra had existed since like 10000 BC and has taken many forms, cut off one head etc

Agents of Shield sounds impossibly bad. I could not imagine a stupider show. At least the Minions movie had a good sense to say that the minions never worked for Hitler.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Oscars are an ABC joint, so it would make sense. It's like how the Golden Globes nominate a bunch of NBC shows.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

There was one shot in Wakanda where they showed some graffiti, and as far as I can recall that's the only sign that anybody actually lives in Wakanda. The rest of it just looks like cast members in the Wakanda section of Epcot. Although, in a sense, that's actually kind of clever since a significant portion of the Wakandan population is employed to put on an act for tourists.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Last we saw him he was the chief of security at Stark Industries, working for Pepper rather than Tony.

I am seriously expecting Tony to bite it in Endgame, and after seeing Spiderverse today, I think I'd be just fine if he gave Holland the great responsibility line as his send-off. Fits both Peter and Tony's own character arc.

That would have some unfortunate implications, but (so?) I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Eh, Spiderverse just did a fine job showing you can depart from the standard Spidey formula and still have a good story.

Well, the difference would be that instead of kind, innocent Uncle Ben telling Peter to aspire to serve others with his abilities, it's a billionaire weapons manufacturer inducting a child into the military industrial complex as a paramilitary soldier.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What if Spider-man's AI sidekick is killed, and she's the one who says the line?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I think it's fairly uncontroversial that the trailer's kind of dumb in the context of Infinity War, but what makes that tweet a spicy take is the argument that it's going to teach kids a bad lesson. Really, though, it's no worse than most other children's media. These "think about the children" sort of positions just mistake symptoms for the cause.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The EW set photographer does it again!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

My favorite part of Glass is when they explained what a comic book was.

The world can never know that there are men who can lift cars.

The Cameo posted:

It’s a really great “oh, I’m going to die now” reaction shot. Because of course you’re going to be scared shitless if Superman cranks his head towards you like you’re a babysitter and he’s Michael Myers.

And the more that comes out about the movie, the more it’s “Joss went and reshot half the movie but what he reshot was ways to get around the setups that Terrio and Snyder and all had scripted and shot” like there apparently being a bunch of things involving Batman having Lois be his weapon of last resort if Supes came back bad, and having to pull that string before he was going to get killed - and Joss reshot chunks of the scene to make it so... Lois just shows up, driven to the spot by a cop.

It comes off more and more like they really wanted an under two hour movie and Zack was like “yeah nope that’s not happening” and they removed him and brought Joss on and said “get us to 100 minutes” and he did exactly what they said.

I agree that getting the movie to less than 2 hours was probably a priority for WB, but Snyder left because his daughter died. He wasn't fired.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Davros1 posted:

True story, back in Nov I was in my local comic book store, and a guy came in wanting a Batman book for his kid, and the manager ended up having to explain to him what a comic book was.

It does make sense in context, since the comic book store guy explains it to the girl from Split who was raised by a primitivist. I was just thinking going into the movie that it was the most ridiculous thing the movie could do and sure enough...

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Sorry, wrong thread.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Are there any other movies where the villain does that thing where they plan to get captured and then escape, but then actually accomplishes nothing by having done so? You have it working successfully in other Marvel movies, in two of the Nolan Batman movies, in Skyfall, and a bunch of other stuff, but I can't think of any where the villain tries it and it's a total misfire. Sort of an interesting decision.

It's a great sequence in Batman (1966).

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

teagone posted:

I read a spoilered plot synopsis of Captain Marvel on reddit and it sounds booooring. Hope it's a fakeout and lot different than the summary suggests, but if not :rip:https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelStudiosSpoilers/comments/asuqti/captain_marvel_plot_leaked_in_douban/

"She remembers why she become an Air Force member and vaporizes Rogg."

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Red Pyramid posted:

No new Hellboy trailer link yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsBO4b3tyZg

Still no sign of that elusive "comic accurate" tone, but this at least has a few things to grab onto. Some fun, conspicuously Del Toro-looking monsters, a few more interesting set-pieces - and probably the highlight for me, a quick glimpse of the Baba Yaga in her chicken-leg house.

I think the absolute best that we can hope for here is a halfway competent attempt at an R-rated take on the Del Toro series.

This trailer looks exactly as lovely as the first one. Cool monster designs, though.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

He's trying to make her flinch

With what? Why would Brie Larson flinch, it's not like the axe is real?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

RatHat posted:

Are you serious?

I guess it's diegetically impressive that Larson knows how to distinguish between computer generated images and real objects when none of the other characters do, but that really says more about Thor than it does about her.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Rooney Mara as Harley Quinn should be cool.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Joker's just another mediocre white male comedian, disappointed that their tired politically incorrect schtick isn't getting the laughs it once did. Batman Beyond was the only Batman to notice that the Joker just wasn't funny.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Darko posted:

RE: DKRises - The left is just as susceptible to dangerous ideologues as the right. "Don't fall for rhetoric and watch who you are following" is a good message.

And that's why we should invade Venezuela.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Batman could have simply stuck bombs in their pockets, harmlessly knocking them out with the explosion.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

blowing up cars

Snowman_McK posted:

no one is hurt.

:crossarms: Cars are people too, my friend.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well he’s right.

It’s absolutely a failure that they couldn’t find a way to make a character who’s a bad guy and happens to be from China (or Afghanistan, as implied back in Iron Man 1) without making Stark and the MCU seem racist - because of course they are racist.

Like if you need a rule, for public relations purposes, that you can never interact with people of colour unless they’re explicitly your friend... that’s kinda weird, no?

The short is like almost good because lol Stark has completely failed to defeat his arch-nemesis and may not even be aware he‘s still out there.

It's like how Disney made Tarzan not racist by just not having any black characters.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I know when I watch a movie my primary purpose is the judge the moral worth of each character, and then rank the movie on how well the ultimate fate of that character matches what they karmically deserve.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

When I saw the VVitch I sat right next to a guy who didn't like seeing blood. Buddy, if you don't like blood, why would you see a rated R horror film?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Watching the Wizard of Oz: Why does the Wizard get to go home in a balloon? He should be in prison, along with Dorothy for double homicide.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 19, 2019

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

On a more serious, less glib note, the celebration at the end isn't for Yondu being a good father, it's about how his whole life he's been seeking a genuine, emotional relationship with someone and how at the end of his life he finally found one. The theme is expressed with outrageous cartoon violence where everything's exaggerated, so whereas in our real world, selling a bunch of kids to be eaten by their dad would be monstrous, in an exaggerated setting it's still wrong, but not unforgivable. That's really my point, expecting characters to get the appropriate, US legal code defined comeuppance for the bad things they do in a movie is silly, because that's not what a movie is about (unless it's, like, a legal drama or something).

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

i think the script was bad and the whole production process was marvel-ized. brie larson is obviously a very good actress as anyone who's seen short term 12 and room can attest. but there's only so much one can do with lackluster material and a studio keeping its claws in.

She was great in Free Fire, so it's not like she can't do quippy action movies.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Peter Parker sure is selfish for not wanting to volunteer as a child soldier for the government.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Maguire does quip in his fight with Bonesaw, but he's so embarrassed with himself he plays it straight for the next two movies.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Disposable Scud posted:

wtf at The Phantom having a 4.9 on imdb

Purple spandex is stupid

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I agree, but that's the reason why it has a 4.9 on IMDB

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

My question about any potential Batman actor is, can he get really really buff or can they make his Bat Armor look like he is ridiculously buff, and the answer is always yes. Life is good to me on that account.

Steroids are a wonderful thing. For people watching the movies, anyway, for the actors they must be horrible.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrdvVn5frFw

wtf is this? Is this supposed to be a clip from the actual movie?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Part of his and Xavier's mutations are that they age inconsistently.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Reign is good because the MJ reveal comes after Doctor Octopus' undead skeleton buries Parker in MJ's grave, but only so Parker can get his Spider-Suit back, and then Spider-Man punches his way out of the grave singing the Spider-Man theme song. Also he murders Electro and Hydro Man by pushing them into each other.

For real though, comic fans love accusing certain comics of being "grimdark" when they're obviously written tongue-in-cheek. Same thing with All Star Batman and Robin.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Speaking of TDK, the Joker is hired to spring the accountant from jail, and he does, bit at that point he's killed or maimed all the judges willing to hear the case and all the lawyers willing to prosecute, so why bother with the accountant?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

The accountant knew where the money was.

Ah yes, of course.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I think Fury Road and Annihilation were the only movies after TDK to capture that scale for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This is a controversial opinion, but I always thought Burt Ward was the funnier of the duo. West got all the good lines, but Ward's delivery was always hilarious.