Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

FirstAidKite posted:

Why does ace combat 7 have so many negative reviews on steam, is it a bad port? Yesterday it was sitting at "mostly negative" and this morning it is sitting at "mixed"

Flight sim nerds got mad at it for not having Hotas (2 part big nerd flight sticks) support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

What game is that so I can avoid it and everything that localisation studio does in future.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

chumbler posted:

The pop culture reference, milf.

American Pie (which i still consider ground zero for the Milf as a pop culture thing) was already 6-7 years old at that point for christ sake.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Who does the voice of Bubsy these days?

https://youtu.be/3EIVR8YYKN0

Oh God ahahahaha.

Deep down I knew who it was going to be before it even came up. Of course it's Vic, it could only be Vic.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

They only ever did that once to cover up how much of money sucking black hole FF14 was originally and now it's not so they don't need to.

It's not 2013 anymore.

Tomb Raider was called a disappointment after selling 3.4m copies because they expected it to do 7m.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Goddamn gently caress me is Warframe rad as hell. A poor comparison but I feel like it's the Culture novels of videogames, at least aesthetically.

Just wait until you start doing the big story quests (semi-starting with Natah, really diving into the chaos with The Second Dream).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

C-Euro posted:

On the subject of non-movie James Bond games, the grappling hook in Agent Under Fire was really great. Too bad all I can remember about that game is it blasting the first couple bars of the James Bond theme every time you did something remotely cool.

That game had some great driving levels and some wretched on-rails shooting.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

The worst thing about physical MTG is that it has to use the same card back that was ugly even in 1995

The curse of the physical TCG, you can never change your card back. Though didn't they take the "Deckmaster" part off it a few years ago?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Yes, it will be compatible with the old mods so Dota will still work :hehe:

Its almost certainly not going to happen, but if Dota Classic ends up hurting Dota 2 it would be loving hilarious.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Wait, the McElroys are still doing Monster Factory? I thought they left the site.

They did but apparently still come back to do a freelance episode occasionally.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I think I have seen a Tomb Raider movie, but I only remember that it had the guy who plays the hologram in Red Dwarf in it

Chris Barrie, who during the manor siege has an awesome moment where he's woken up by the gunfire and calmly puts on a bulletproof vest and slippers and grabs a shotgun with a weary look like this is not the first time a private army has stormed Croft Manor.

I love the first Jolie Tomb Raider movie because it is a fun global conspiracy action movie with some great set pieces, then it all falls apart at the end when the studio seemingly realised to their horror that they forgot to put a romantic subplot in so Lara suddenly has to express romantic feelings that haven't even been hinted at through the entire movie to Daniel Craig while he's being crushed to death by a giant model of the solar system.

Cradle of Life is horrible though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

What about an anime about the best sport, esports?
There's a rumour going around that there's a League of Legends anime planned that would revolve around a girl getting into playing the game because of this trailer for the current ranked season

an actual dog posted:

I feel this counts

This also works.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Portal 2 is like ten puzzles too long

The mid section of P2 drags so freaking much I realise whenever I go back to replay it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Tetris BR has double the viewers of PUBG on Twitch

This amuses me greatly

They still haven't put Tetris 99 in as its own game though, so it looks on the browse screen like everyone suddenly got super into Game Boy Tetris.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Andrast posted:

The internal politics for this stuff can be pretty complicated

They tied Crackdown 3 into being a showcase for their cloud service right from the start, so from that moment they were basically committed to releasing it in some form because to cancel it would raise too many questions about how capable their cloud system was. They'll more than likely break even on it at least since I can see a lot of people signing up for Game Pass just to see the trainwreck, since at the very least it seems like the kind of wreck you want to see first hand.

Anyway Tetris 99 finally got me to cough up for a Nintendo Online sub, so that's clearly working.

Looper posted:

meteos 99

Oh god.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Tetris Company probably really likes money, and Nintendo have quite a lot of that around right now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There is some actual strategy to it which makes it fascinating, like you can decide to go all out for kills early on and send garbage to anyone who's in trouble, but doing that racks up badges which boost how much garbage you send but also make you a massive target, since if someone takes you out they get your badges (and therefore extra damage). While if you hold back and play slow and safe early you might end up lacking the damage to actually deal a killing blow to someone later on because you don't have the badges.

And then it's just a super crisp playing version of Tetris on top of all that and matches last about 5-10 minutes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

50% of my mail is pizza menus.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

speaking of, i know it’s only been out what, a week? but are there any preliminary numbers on how much it’s eating into the fortnite juggernaut?

Given that the next Fortnite battle pass is being given away free I'm gonna say pretty substantially.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Does anyone know where I could possibly get this beer mug

https://twitter.com/yukakuramoti/status/1096236036848377857

Also her Twitter account is :nws: you've been warned

Since she tagged it EvoJapan I'm assuming they're selling them at Evo as part of the whole "oh right we're SNK we can make money off that" push. They'll probably be available somewhere online pretty soon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My favourite post in the Anthem thread is someone saying to ignore everyone saying bad things because they're not at the endgame where the interesting stuff becomes available.

If the interesting parts of your game are literally not available until the loving credits roll that's not a good thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Colonel posted:

anyway i hope the oneshot manga about a teenage couple with nonstandard gender identities gets licensed at some point so that more people check it out and there's a way to read it that doesn't have a giant lovely watermark on one of the first pages put there by the scanlators that makes fun of gender identities, in a manga about understanding gender identity and social pressure and ostracization

if anyone's curious it's called Watashi no Kanojo wa Otokonoko and it's good, outside of, the giant lovely watermark on the first few pages the people who translated it slapped on

There's also this which I saw going around Twitter last night.
https://twitter.com/OhPoorPup/status/1096666515238088704

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Colonel posted:

imo it's slightly more hosed up that tiyuri (at least reportedly) said he'd only hire women he'd want to gently caress

I've not seen anything about that but knowing how much of a bellend Tiy was during his time working on Terraria it wouldn't surprise me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I mean for Microsoft first party stuff you just need to remember they don't necessarily want you buying these games, they want you subscribing to Game Pass. So we end up with the Netflix thing where they might not care if it's that great so long as there's new stuff going up there to get people to subscribe.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My hot take is even as a puzzle game I don't rate Catherine that highly.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lost Planet is one of those weird series' that changed completely with every sequel. I played Lost Planet 2 at a Capcom community event but no-one else did because they also had Tatsunoko vs Capcom there and everyone was way more interested in that.

I've been playing Bayonetta today since it got brought up in the Switch thread and I remembered I never finished it. That's a good game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm fond of games that don't give a specific button now but just show which button location to press. Like ehh gently caress it just press the bottom one whatever it is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

I got into Fallen London recently, is there a thread somewhere for this goofy browser game?

Right here, under its old name Echo Bazaar.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

either way gamers get more pissed at titties being censored than digital game platforms treating devs and consumers like poo poo so the medium as a whole is hosed. imagine thinking anita sarkeesian is the death of your hobby and not Big Steam and Big DLC

Its not about her any more, it's about complaining about the new Mortal Kombat outfits ruining boner culture.

Cowcaster posted:

what with the industry burp up last year over microtransactions and lootboxes i'm scared to think about what they're going to come up with next to replace them

They're not stopping with loot boxes, I think they actually added them to the current Call of Duty in the latest update.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They're not going anywhere while they still make the companies shitloads of money, I think EA is still refusing to acknowledge the Belgian law with FIFA card packs and even that ruling was worded in such a way that companies could work around it. The key language if I remember right was that their definition to bring loot boxes under the gambling laws was that the contents had to be exchangeable for cash, which is a narrow enough definition that you could probably get round that with a modified EULA saying you may not trade in game items for cash through third party services.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This one might have a UI that isn't complete rear end on consoles.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If anything that dungeon looks like it might be way lighter than the last one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's certainly a much funnier way.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't want boner culture inside me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Go mechanics are basically catching wild Pokemon and you can link your Go account to trade Pokemon. Other than those bits its a straight remake of Red and Blue with standard Pokemon battles for fighting actual trainers, and they have demos now as well so you might as well try them out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They're apparently not purchasable with real money and only as level up rewards but I'll believe that in 3 months if they haven't sneaked them in as microtransactions the second the games media has stopped paying attention.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

nachos posted:

Anthem is getting shredded right now nobody is hyped except the usual games as service apologists that are happy paying $60 for game that has a chance to be good 18 months from now

And in 18 months it'll be on regular Origin Access and therefore 'paying' for it will at least also come with the entire Command and Conquer series and a bunch of more interesting games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I tried Tetris 99 for about 3 hours and only got in the top 10 3 times. By that point the blocks were falling so fast I could barely play, let alone contend with garbage blocks sent by other players.

How exactly do garbage blocks even work? I don't get why sometimes clearing a line gets rid of them while other times it doesn't.

For countering garbage particularly, I believe you remove an incoming line of garbage when you clear a line yourself. However once the blocks turn red you're out of time to counter them and they're coming on your board regardless.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Harrow posted:

Wait aren't you already piloting a robot in that?

If the mech is blown up your character ejects and can fight on foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Is anyone picking up Dirt Rally 2.0 tomorrow?

I got the expensive version a few days ago.