Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I love the handsome bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My instincts were spot-on with Grookey from the beginning, but I really expected more from the Sobble line.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Like if Sobble's third evo made it to Smash it would just be another Starfox character

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Geostomp posted:

So if these leaks are true, looks like my three gen Grass starter streak remains unbroken.

Hell same - I didn't realize it til you mentioned it. Snivy was the last grass starter I didn't pick but then all of those starters were horrible. Lucky the rest of the gen was great.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm glad someone out there loves Inteleon. I don't. I think he's the worst 3rd form ever by a wide margin. But I'm sure he's a good boy and deserves to be loved. Just not by me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Rillaboom is an amazing design though, and fully cements my commitment to grass monkey, who has the best first, second, and third form hands down.

I want to protect my big muscular son from all the horrifying fan art getting made of him as we speak.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I just tried doing that thing I do every new gen and build a final team of 6 from the revealed new Pokemon up to that point and with this gen I just can't, there's too many I want to use and I absolutely will be switching mons in and out of my party constantly.

This is why people keep buying Pokemon games btw - not to buy it full price, catch literally just Ekans, and retire contentedly til you can catch Ekans once more in the next gen.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Man can I just say how much I hate that penguin Pokemon. It’s just a penguin. With a dumb block head. It’s worse than Toucannon. At least he had the most hateful eyes on any creature known.

It's really the worst design in a very long time. It looks bad enough to be a gen 1.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

qnqnx posted:

all the promises of a game more aimed at older players

Bear with me because I may be wrong, but has GF ever hinted at this for any game in the series, much less this one?

The most I've ever heard, and this was back in XY, was "The protags look a couple years older maybe? Dark, mature Pokemon entry confirmed"...I feel like this is definitely something we unfairly assume every time we play as a teenager instead of a literal baby but we're still playing as children at the end of the day. :/

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Grookey nickname ideas so far: a definitive list
  • Wukong
  • Taiko
  • Rayjay (Rajang)
There that's all I've got

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Can you trade between them?

I can't imagine how you could

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This is the best starting town in the series. So cozy.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

The fact that (if you turn off auto save) you can save right before you pick and reset if not right helps a lot.

Mine was even Jolly. :toot: (I know there's mints eventually but still)

You can but you still have to mash through quite a bit of dialogue so you can check them out in your fight with Hop, but yeah it is at least a little better than the past couple gens about this.

That said I still only had the patience for one reset - not even looking for optimal nature, just didn't want bold and a degraded attack stat and settled on a naughty Grookey instead. I still feel really bad for folks reseting for female starters.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What are your best wooloo nicknames? I named mine Tom Braidy for his sick hair.

Black Philip

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
God I always forget how huge Bewear is

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yooo

Only my 4th shiny in 20 years of playing

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Okay so, what are my friend and I doing wrong with trading?

We're both selecting link trade with passcode, using the same code, and then either never getting a hit or getting hit after hit from other people presumably using the same code. But no matter what, we just can't seem to connect to each other.

What are we missing? Surely there is a way to just see that a friend is online and select from a list of actions what you want to do with them? Or is everything literally just shouting out into the ether and seeing who responds? Surely not.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Pylons posted:

Are you both online? I don't think it'll work if one person is in local communications mode.

Yeah, I saw him making trades and I kept getting them too - just not with each other. I can guarantee I was online, not 100% about him, but I have no clue how he'd be getting trades or how I'd be seeing his stamps if he wasn't. :/

But it must be something, if no one else is encountering this.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

So is there an easy way to trade with someone on your friends list or nah? Me and a friend just tried for half an hour to get matched up and I kept getting put into trades with randos rather than him despite me and him putting the same code in (I guess enough people are playing that a 4 digit code isn't the best way) and if we tried to search for "only friends" in the stamp list it said there were no stamps found. Seems pretty loving shonky even by Nintendo's usual standards for online functionality.

Well it's not just me then - I tried the same thing with a friend for like an hour thinking surely we must be doing something wrong, but no the system legit seems to be "input a 4-digit code and hope you and your friend are the only ones using it". Trading locally is the only reliable way I've found to trade with a friend. I don't know what possessed them to make it this way.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My thing about "x game was better" is that Platinum is my x game - enough time has passed from that and enough has changed that I feel comfortable enjoying every new game for what it is and what it brings to the table, instead of comparing it to a high point years in the past.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Blaziken386 posted:

yeah, I tend to mess around doing raids while waiting for my friend to catch up because they give exp candy instead of exp

poo poo I wish they made all xp into consumable items you could choose to spend. Imagine.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
gently caress Sheer Force Copperajah absolutely owns. Adding her to my list of Pokes to properly breed in the post game.

jobroskie posted:

I kept finding bug types I liked and had a hard time deciding who should be in my party. By the time I got to the second gym I had benched my original party and am role playing a bug type gym leader. All bugs all day

Best type hands down. I'm thinking about doing this too.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

jobroskie posted:

Who are you using? I have Orbeetle, Araquanid, Crustle, Ribombee, Centiskorch, and once I evolve my Karrablast, I'll have Escavalier.

If i did it I'd probably do Orbeetle, Crustle, Galvantula, Centiskorch, Frosmoth, and then...Golisopod? But Ribombee is also so good. There's an obscene amount of good bugs in this game. That said the loss of Volcarona and Scolipede hurts...

I'll probably finish this run first though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bleck posted:

on the difficulty; I basically swept through the entire game, felt pretty confident about my team's level and power in every encounter, and then Leon walked up and showed me why he's called The Unbeatable Champion

There's no way lol

I'm not doubting, I'm legit excited for this. I can't comprehend of a difficult AI fight in Pokemon that doesn't have RNG tipped in its favor like Battle Tower.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Bede is the best character in the game and the only one that I wonder "where is Bede" when he's not around.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This is honestly the first Pokémon campaign I've beaten where I've felt "this needs an enhanced edition ASAP", and it has nothing to do with what Pokémon are or are not in the game.

It feels like it's missing like 50% of its routes, 30% of its trainer battles, and 70% of its dungeons. And sadly I don't even know how an enhanced edition would fix this - might be best to skip right past it into the next remake or a whole new gen.

I had a lot of fun with it but I'm only now seeing a lot of the shortcuts they took now that I've beaten it. I'm starting to wonder how much the inclusion of the wild area actually cost us. While a fun inclusion when taken at face value I wonder if it's not a bigger liability than we think. It's not a suitable replacement for everything that was cut or just didn't get finished.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah the thought came to me as I was going through the routes again from the beginning looking for items I missed with the surf bike. I didn't think about how weird it was when the game shepherded you to the train stations between gym challenges, but on second glance it's really surprising how many of these towns are dead ends - all presumably to save dev resources on routes in between towns. Like, they could have just added a narrow corridor or two with a few trainer battles. It wouldn't have been ideal but it would have made a difference.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Sword and Shield’s endgame just depresses me. I just don’t like raids enough to get into whatever is going on here.

Which Pokémon game would you say is SwSh’s opposite when it comes to endgame content. Which one had you playing for tens of hours beyond the championship fight?

Plat is definitely the opposite of SwSh. It's a wealth of content in almost every way, and the post-game feels just as expansive as the campaign. Kinda making me want to replay it...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Where did that rumor that you could rename traded Pokémon come from? Made the mistake of assuming that was true and waited to rename a perfect IV Sobble until after I ev trained it and now I'm left with a Japanese Inteleon that I don't know what to call lol. Jokes on me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Flopsy posted:

I thought it only worked if the pokemon hadn't already been nicknamed?

Guess my guy is nicknamed already! I had no clue. My name will just have to be in my head then.

E. Or maybe someone here knows what my man's name is?

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 30, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Apparently his Japanese name is Inteleon

Aw. Don't know what the point of that is, but he's too good not to do something with so I'll have to quiet my brain gremlins on this one.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dienes posted:

This link system is absolutely dreadful. My SO and I have been trying for 10 minutes to connect to each other and our devices refuse to connect, despite having no problem joining each other's max raids. We can't see each other's stamps or anything.

How does technology keep getting better but the trade system in Pokemon continue to get worse?

Edit: FINALLY

I've been having this issue consistently with my friend - neither of us have trouble connecting to others but for whatever reason, whether online or local, our games refuse to communicate.

I think we found a remedy for this last night though. Fully restarting both our switches got us in communication somehow. Just closing the software or putting the switch to sleep didn't help.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Genovera posted:

Huh, was he named that when he was still a Sobble? It would be a bit strange but maybe his OT nicknamed him "Intelion" in katakana. I haven't tried renaming a non English language Pokemon, but I have nicknamed a couple that my husband sent me. The name rater specifically asked if I was sure about the name, saying I would not be able to change it again later as I was not the OT.

Yeah the name rater said the name was perfect as it was so it looks like the OT just named their Sobble Inteleon. :/

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ostentatious posted:

So is Rose just a dumb gently caress or did I miss something

No you got it. He literally would have been fine if he enacted his solution to a problem 1,000 years in the future a day later, but he just couldn't be buggered to wait.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Are there any dens with high chances for Applin/Appletun? I want one with its HA.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

E: Did anyone use Copperajah or it's little baby form I can't recall the name of? I didn't find one till post game and I see a lot of people saying the same. It, Stonjourner and Penguin Icecube are the three that I always hear get overlooked.

I caught Cufant in the wild area and used Copperajah throughout the whole game - it's an absolute beast.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 3, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
All the more reason why the skates in XY were superior

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mizuti posted:

I was thinking that the conventional routes for SwSh feel shallow and I think I've realized why. In past gens you gradually unlocked some exploration tools that led to new trainer battles, optional areas, treasures, etc. Typically access is unlocked through HMs or Ride Pokémon, more rarely through items like the Mach/Acro Bikes. You'd gradually get reasons to revisit most routes and dungeons for at least one more round of looting or discoveries.

In SwSh there is exactly one upgrade of this type: the surfing bike, and it has very few uses outside of the wild area. The only content to come back for is berry trees.

Yeah the wild area kind of sabotaged a lot of the traditional routes, and it doesn't feel like a good trade off for me. I was pleasantly surprised to get fly so early until I figured out its because nothing is really connected. You take trains everywhere because there are barely any routes.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Well I have bred a perfect Applin, who is now an Appeltun.

Besides playing with him in camp because he's the cutest, how do I use this guy? Looking like the game wants you to leech seed and stall but unsure how much of his moveset I want to devote to this. Leech Seed, Protect, Recycle, ???

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a spare G-Farfetch'd with a leak? No takers in the discord. I'm only just now getting into breeding but I could hook you up with a 5 IV Applin w/sweet apple or a G-Darumaka.

I'll watch the thread for a bit and trade using 3175 if anyone's interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Nanigans posted:

Farfetch'd has a 50% chance of holding a leak. Just catch one yourself. It'd be a lot faster.

Shield