Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Today I realized I was running out of power for the next big build I wanted to make so I spent a few hours making 40 fuel burners

Then I realized with some alternate recipes I could make three times as many in the factory I was planning for but for that I needed 18 plastic a minute so I built this which if I did the math right should warm up to give me 800 plastic per minute.

Now I'm finally ready for the new factory I was planning to buld, heavy modular frames which I needed for... *checks notes* - fuel power generators. I love this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

what sort of silly clipping or control tricks do i need to learn to be able to do stuff like this? i don't remember having learned any

I'm just guessing that they started from the top and moved down. So a bunch of foundations to the maximum height you can place constructors, place them, remove foundations from the top until you can fit another, repeat.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Piping becomes way easier than it seems when you realize they all usually just fill up and the liquid doesn't only flow in one direction. My coal power is just a long line of plants with another pipe filling in from the top when there's room in the mainline.

At every plus there's another pipe in here connecting into the one pipe that's connected to all the generators. It's not super elegant, it takes a long rear end time to get started all the way but it will work eventually and is very easy to scale up forever. If you overproduce water here it doesn't really matter at all either. You could add another pump leading into the very end of this to fill it up from the other side until they're all started and then just remove it. Me being a lazy manifold person this is what I do with the pipes going over a conveyor belt with the coal on it.

What NoEyedSquareGuy posted is way more efficient for starting up, much more elegant and more thought out so do that if you want 18 coal power plants to match your exact coal output, my thing here is more to explain how you can simplify piping in general for whatever liquid and you can expand it forever with as little or as much liquid you need. My coal miner also makes gunpowder so it's less exactly calculated for coal power

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 23, 2022

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Anyone else having the game crash on startup or is that something on my end?

I have a daisy chain mod installed but that shouldn't be this bad, right? I get a Unreal Engine error before even getting to intro movies or menus

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Turns out there was an update for the mod and now the game starts, thanks! Now here's hoping the update didn't screw up my world, I had literally just finished a factory to make the final elevator parts, would suck if it doesn't work anymore

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I got a mug

Final four elevator parts factory pictured. I got tired of building cool good factories and just made a single conveyor mainline making parts out of leftovers that I otherwise just sunk and left it running for a few days, but it works!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Dravs posted:

My original thought was, I will be outputting exactly 80m3 of hvy oil per min which is consumed exactly by 2 refineries turning it into coke without messing around with overclocks or anything. I was going to sink it for now which is also something I couldn't do with a liquid and then in the future turn the coke into aluminium scraps or steel ingots.

I ran into issues with another refinery where the byproduct builds up and brings the whole thing crashing down, I just want something that will keep working.

Outputting excess oil into fuel reactors also works and will never fill up though, because the reactors always run at full speed no matter what. Just have more powerplants than fuel consumption (and underclock if you want them running constantly smoothly, I personally would just the last one on the line switch on and off constantly because I'm lazy). Not to say your idea to use the coke later for something else is a bad idea, just pointing out that you can effectively "sink" fuel into reactors without turning it into something else.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Ice Fist posted:

A single storage container per item will be just fine, even for 2 people. Once a game is handling more than that I'd probably do 2 containers. Except for concrete. In my solo game I use an absurd amount of concrete. My personal train has two cars just with concrete.

I'm curious about what this would be good for. I can't imagine any way I've used a container where it would have been better if they were smaller. Maybe to fill up a storage and then ship off the extras to make something else, is that it? I always work in the other direction, use what's needed and put the extras in storage.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Ice Fist posted:

I'm not sure exactly which part of my post you're curious about

That's because I hit quote in the wrong post :)

ninjewtsu posted:

If you limit how much a container fills up you can say "my iron rod mall buffer only needs to be 10 stacks" and then after that much fills the iron rod building stops consuming iron (which can be redirected elsewhere) and stops consuming power well ahead of when it would normally.

This answers my question though, thanks!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I just made mine in my last playthrough and had to fix a bunch of errors at least 10 times. Mine was luckily extremely unecessary because of fuel power excess so the entire factory didn't die but drat, that was a lot of fidgeting

Know that if you go through a hypertube you can drop waste out of your inventory and it'll disappear forever.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Powershift posted:

I got really into Autonauts after getting it for free from XBL i think or it could be on gamepass idk.

It's a cutesy game like satisfactory but you have to build and code(train) robots to do all the stuff. You can dig yourself a pretty deep hole if you don't spend the time automating every stage of advancement though, but the code part of training robots is a neat twist. The efficiency of my robot code between my early robots and my later ones is amazing.

Thanks for reminding me I had this in my library, I didn't have anything else to do for 15 hours in three days anyways (it's a very good little game, I also recommend it)

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
The Diluted Packaged Fuel is also good because it's extremely satisfactory to watch your leftover polymer get turned into plastic get turned into containers to very very very slowly start up the whole thing. It's very inefficient but still extremely nice.

Same goes for Recycled Plastic/Recycled rubber factories very slowly starting itself up.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I've fully mastered trains for use in my bamboo forest item mall.

Not sure if I can keep this up for the more demanding projects that come after this but the single back and forth line works for now. Going to watch hours of tutorials now so I can learn how to build out a functional rail network with proper junctions and signaling.

Am I reading this right? You made a factory that used only cybertrucks before figuring out trains?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I was in Skövde this weekend to visit a friend and am happy to report that Coffee Stain Studios do not have people working on weekends apparantly.

Their office is in a nice building surrounded by nice restaurants though.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Mailer posted:

Ok, I'll ask... how the hell does water figure into that? I've been staring at it trying to do the math in my head about that number of machines and the recipe ingredients and I can't figure out how you got there. Modded?

I'm assuming because of Iron or Copper ingots

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Do I remember correctly that you can jam more locomotives on a train to make it reliably have more carts on it? Is there a good standard ratio of carts/locomotive ration?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
This is probably the most impressively stupid Satisfactory thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz6kgvQTpkM

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
This was a cool challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7WoMpcWSxg

She's built the entire world in sandbox mode but never turned anything on until it's all built.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I have a question about trains I can't quite figure out. I want some trains to stop at a station until fully loaded in all wagons. I tried setting them to Freight Wagon is fully loaded/unloaded and wait 5 seconds as the attached image shows but some of them just got stuck at the station forever. Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding the settings?

It seems like it goes in, waits for a bit, fills up once and if that doesn't fill all the slots in the train it gets stuck forever.

I just figured out it's probably because it waits for enough stacks to fill up the train cart to exist to load up but the cart already has half a stack so half a stack from the station plus half a stack already on the train leavs one empty slot so the train doesn't leave but also never loads again. So a bug I'd say

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 19, 2023

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Mailer posted:

Wayyyy back in U5 or 6 (I forget) I had this problem a lot when it came to trains that couldn't immediately fully load/unload. I never figured out why, so I just wound up fixing why that was or just eliminating the train route. Even if I manually resolved the situation the train remained waiting forever, ignoring its time rule.

I just changed all the trains back to the basic pick up once and then leave setting but it fucks with my efficiency so I don't like having to do that

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

Looking around the reddits it seems like using AND with the fully loaded/unloaded setting gives other people the same problem, the train just waits forever. So it seems like that might be a bug. I can't do a good test at the moment myself so I'm not sure.

I've definitely used fully loaded/unloaded setting successfully before, and it isn't confused by partial stacks. Anything that fills a slot counts as "filled".

But I'm pretty sure I always used OR wait for that, and AND wait for the 1-cycle option. IMO it doesn't make much sense to do the other way around. So I'd try flipping that to OR, and set like 999 seconds wait time so it has plenty of time to wait for a full load.

Out of curiosity how does this mess up efficiency? If the train has to wait for a load, that means doing more frequent runs will deliver the same amount of stuff. Just with extra trips.

I mean, I haven't done the math but the idea was to mitigate wasted resources due to several trains doing the same round and through traffic eventually ending up coming in right after each other, giving my train station time to fill up completely between runs and stalling the input. I have three trains running this exact round trip.

I will try the OR [BIG NUMBER] thing, thanks for the advice.

The thing I figured was happening was if the train cart had one single stack of say 2 iron ore in it and the train station had 31 stacks of 100 and one stack of 5 in it, it seems to count "Train has 1 stack, station has 31 stacks = 32 stacks total. I will load the train now" and then the train ends up with 30 stacks of 100 and 1 stack of 7 and decide "I'm not fully loaded yet so I can't leave". Does that make more sense?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Speaking of vehicles, do people build roads for them in general or just drive them around? I still just use long rear end conveyors to train stations, maybe that's dumb

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Thanks for the info on vehicles. It's always felt like an inconvenient step between trains and conveyors but maybe I'll use some this time around to pick up resources and drive them to the train stations.

I have another question. About fluids of course, because they don't make any goddamned sense. I have this turbofuel setup

These 12 refineries, overclocked by 250%, using 450 compacted coal and 675 fuel to make 562.5 Turbofuel.

Two towers of five floors like this with five generators overclocked to 250% on each floor for a total of 50 generators using 11.25 m3 of turbofuel per minute.

All fuel goes through one MKII pipe that goes up the first tower and down the second. The entire first tower is running at 100% efficiency so the fuel is getting to the top, and the top floor of the second tower is moving at 100% but the second to highest floor is not getting enough fuel to run constantly and as such the ones below are not running at all. I'd chalk this up to pipes filling up or whatever but the problem is that the refineries are filling up with turbofuel and are not running at 100% efficiency despite there being plenty of room for more fuel in the system.

I use three MKII pumps and one MKI pump to pump the fuel up the tower and they all show 10-20 m headlift below Maximum Headlift. I don't get it. It seems like the pipes are connected but not delivering fuel fast enough and I just can't figure out why. Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

Here's the layout of the top floor of tower 2:

Here's a beautiful graph on how the fuel is moving between the towers:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Qubee posted:

Things produce so slowly, and I know the answer is to build more factories, but is that really all there is to it? 5 reinforced plate per minute is atrociously slow, and eats up 60 iron per min. Do I have to pipe in 120 more iron per min to comfortably gain the basic resources for building? Or is slow production part and parcel of the game and something I should get used to? Is this baby levels and I should be bringing in iron in the order of thousands per min?

I will give this a watch!

I'd say bring stuff in as you need it. It's worth getting the MAM and researching power slugs so you can overclock miners if you don't want to run across the entire world pulling in raw resources. If you feel your reinforced iron plate production is very slow bringing in more iron ore and building more buildings is the way to go. Or connect the production to a big container and go explore while it builds up!

Klyith posted:

However, pipe troubleshooting is very hard to do via screenshot, I'm not 100% on what the network exactly is doing.

I realize this so thanks so much for trying on the information provided! I tried the central line up, splitting between the towers you posted a paint of and it looks promising looking at flow numbers in the pipes! Will let it run for a bit to see if it evens out as the reactors slowly fills up.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 23, 2023

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I go hard drive hunting when I find a recipe I want to unlock (Cast Screws for example) and then just save them if I have extras for later tiers when more useful stuff shows up.

Or I cheat myself a container of drives and skip the hunting completely.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

Alternately, you could re-engineer your overall setup like this:

That should work with no valves.

However, pipe troubleshooting is very hard to do via screenshot, I'm not 100% on what the network exactly is doing.

Mk1 pumps aren't limited to 300, they can move 600 when connected to Mk2 pipes. Pumps just do headlift.

This is from way back but I wanted to come in and let you know I did this and it had to run for ever but it's stable now so thank you so much for your help!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I think for the first time ever I made a factory I really like the design of so I'm gonna make you look at it.

This is my new power plant:

This refinery right behind us from the above perspective takes in 2400 crude oil and turns it into 6400 fuel using Diluted Fuel.

If you turn around just after entering you can see the fuel pipes go into logistics walls. Ten pipes with 600 each and the two middle ones with 200 each.

Inside is five floors with 22 reactors on each side. Each side has 20 reactors set to 250% and two set to 166.67%. I'm happy to take suggestions on how I should set the light (and I also see that a pipe is probably disconnected somewhere here).

Backside of the factory.

It still looks like poo poo from the sides so I'll need to so something about that probably but I'm very happy with it! It's not as beautiful as some of the ones I've seen in this thread but it's incredible by my standards because I'm bad at pretty.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

I'd definitely consider other stuff first.

OTOH Satisfactory is a pretty intense game in terms of combined CPU+GPU use, so it would not be 100% crazy for it to be revealing a hardware problem that some other games did not.

Verry naice!

In addition to the overhead lights on the top roof, try using some wall mounted flood lights set to throw light sorta crosswise? I'm thinking either mounted underneath that central walkway or possibly on the edge of the middle decks pointed across at the opposite side.

That will let you turn the intensity down, which IMO makes lights look a lot better.

I'm also not seeing much evidence of valves, which makes me concerned about potential pipe slosh. Using 100% flow rate from a pipe is tricky in the best of conditions. Big manifolds of generators are very vulnerable to this.

If you have problems, a fix would be to upgrade the 2 mk1 pipes to mk2 and re-engineer things such that they split the flow & no single pipe is maxed out. 6400 / 12 is 533, which would be plenty of margin.

Thanks for the advice! I checked the power and I now have a surplus of about 50 000 MW from what I'm using so hopefully the inefficiencies won't be a problem if they appear and I don't want to redesign this haha. But I'll keep it in mind next time! I like that a pipe of 600 fits 20 reactors at 250% perfectly in theory more than I care about it actually working in practice in this case lol but it does bother me a little so it is nice to know why they don't work as they should.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

They could forbid rails from being used in the BP box entirely, but there are some useful ways to use rails in BPs even when they don't auto-connect.

When I made my railway network I made a blueprint without rails and one with rails and a signal and used 4 without, 1 with and then filled in the blanks and it was extremely helpful so I'm very glad rails are allowed in blueprints. It makes making straight railways easy and consistant which probably saved me hours of precise aiming.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

priznat posted:

The thing that kills the game for me isn’t the figuring out, it’s the hiking back and forth to schlep resources around. I’ve never managed to figure out a good way that works for me to avoid this but it’s mostly due to poor planning on my part :haw:

When I built my giant power plant recently I just added all the buildings to my todo list and then hyper cannoned my way back and forth from my base to where I wanted it and put down a bunch of containers to hold all the stuff. Then I did like 20 reactors on the todo list, filled up from my local stash, rinse and repeat. It was definitely the best way I've ever done resource moving for a build. I used to run back and forth from the base and pick up stuff as I ran out and always forgot one thing so I had to go twice.

RE Plastic across large distances, trucks are pretty much perfect for that since you can make plastic, rubber and packaged fuel for the trucks all in the same node. Just make sure to do something with the leftovers so production doesn't stop. You can unlock smart splitters in the MAM under the caterium tree if you haven't got those already and you can buy AI limiters from the AWESOME shop if you don't have that automated yet, very useful for sending overflow into an AWESOME Sink.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 14, 2023

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I finally got my friend to start playing Satisfactory and she asked if I could real quick help her just look at the water pipe to her first coal setup that wasn't working.

Satisfactory in a nutshell. She did end up with 24 working power plants in a nice building though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I just found out from my friend who has been playing Satisfactory for like three weeks you can stack ceiling conveyor supports on each other. How have I never known this before?