Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Does it make any sense to build "water towers" for your water or other liquid supply? With the new packagers, package the liquid and send it up a hundred meters or something (or whatever's sensible with your terrain), put some storage tanks up there, and then have pipes coming back down to where ever it's needed. I read in this thread some pages back about some weirdness and setups to get around the weirdness in piping, and was wondering if that'd solve anything.

This thought occurred to me when I realized my refinery setup was backwards, I have oil/plastic/rubber on the lowest level and I send fuel up a couple of dozen meters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Klyith posted:

(I have water towers on a couple of my builds, but a large part of that is because I like the aesthetics. The water tank on top of a factory building is a classic look.)

This is a main reason why I was thinking about it :D

Thanks for the rundown.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Valtonen posted:

This game needs a combination harvester attachment to the truck or preferably the tractor. I would love to take forest-raper mk.11 across the woods to just fill a bunch of bio burners using a truck station and a conveyrable bioburners. In all honesty the woods *have* a ton of potential fuel for a rather large grid this way So it would be a nice middlestep between handfueling a small power grid and making a coal plant.

The devs could take a look at Space Engineers where one of the few actually fun things is that the three material transforming functions (welding, grinding, and drilling raw ores) all have a vehicle-mounted version of the tool. Building a small 2-armed welder-grinder ship for scavengung and building large hulls was an awesome way to play futuristshipyard.

In Satisfactory this would translate to an automatic paver (feed concrete, define width, start driving and see the foundations spurt out, zamboni-style) and truck-based chainsaw. Hell, a truck-based miner platform would be mostly useless But I would propably still use them just because of the cool factor - basically a self-emptying portable miner with tractor chassis and inventory size.

Make the horn play "Toxic Love" from Fern Gully.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I built my first "gently caress this, I'm tired of running out of power" turbofuel setup, and it's also my first real shot at architecture in Satisfactory. Surprisingly relaxing to plan things out, and put up catwalks for no real reason other than aesthetics. Trying to figure out how to put in walkways and stairs alongside all the pipelines and conveyors was fun.
I built it with the fuel burners on the bottom floor, turbofuel refineries above that, then fuel refineries, then coke assemblers. Built from the top down, then I found out when I got to the bottom floor that I didn't plan the footprint/elevation of the ground floor well enough, so now the terrain makes about 50% of my ground floor unusable for generators. Now I get to knock down the walls I just put up and expand.

Going by the above screenshots, I need to do some painting next. I haven't tried to color anything in 150+ hours of play.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Klyith posted:

Painting a large building like that is extremely annoying because it has like 500 walls and other things to paint. Paint ammo only comes from manually harvesting flowers so running through 600 paint is like, fuuuuuck now I have go find flowers to chainsaw.

If you want to do large-scale painting of building walls, I super recommend the micromanage mod. One of the things it can do is paint stuff, with no cost for the paint. So to paint the outside of a huge building like that is very easy.

I still go through plenty of real paint on buildings and pipes, because I only use the micromanage functions on walls and other passive objects. Mainly because at one point I used micromanage to paint a bunch of pipes and ended up with broken connections. Not sure if it was a bug in the mod or base game, but ever since then I've stuck to using the paint gun on anything 'active' like machines and pipes.

Good to know. I don't know if I'd bother painting a whole building, unless I set up one building for something specific for example. Painting pipes for what's in them like it looks like you've done would be nice, though. Can you paint power cables? I've thought about hooking my geothermal power up to as many turbofuel refineries as they'll power, so that if I ever trip the breaker I'll still have some turbofuel being produced so I can restart it easily, but to make it easy to keep the geothermal power separate I'd want to color those lines.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Klyith posted:

An industrial buffer full of turbofuel represents 1.33 gigawatt-hours of power. One or two of them will easily get your generators kickstarted, so if you've diagnosed & fixed whatever problem caused them to run dry on fuel that should be enough to restart production. Or you could make a tank farm with a half-dozen of the things and keep your whole world running while doing the fix.

Heh, I'm using all the floorspace I have that I can't put a generator on (terrain interferes, I didn't plan well enough) to put extra turbofuel tanks, and I'm going to have at least a dozen I think, just because I don't have space for anything else. I was more just trying to come up with a clever use for my geothermal, actually clever or not. :v:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I'm sure something like that will happen, if only because they haven't patched out hypertube cannons. Despite being an exploit, cannons are at this point well-established as the best way to get around the world; but they don't play nice with the game's map-loading and ought to have a proper designed alternative.

The day hypertube cannons get patched out will be a sad day for me. I'm something like 150 hours in and various tube cannons are still my method for moving quantities of material from various spots around the map... first base in the starter area, SW corner... coal power and plastic/rubber in SE, initial plans and setup for aluminum in the NW (waiting on the patch), and now finally Turbofuel power in the NW. I have a rail line going from the SE through SW to NW, but it only works manually.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Is the scale in Satisfactory slightly off? For example, foundations are supposed to be 8 meters square, but based on the size of the player they don't seem anywhere near that big. A 2 meter tall foundation should be very roughly the same height as the player (assuming they're human), but it's not. Not really a big deal, but I was thinking about building a life-size reproduction of something, and that throws a wrench in the plan.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Klyith posted:

2 meters is 6'7". Which would be roughly the same height as the player if this was a normal FPS, in which your player model is a burly superman and the camera is placed at about Shaq's eye level.

The Satisfactory player model OTOH is 1.8m tall*, and the FPS camera is placed accurately. It's not that the scaling is off, it's that the FPS convention you're accustomed to is very different.

*tall for a chick, but she's also wearing some big ol boots

Yeah, it's gotta be something with my perception. I was sure you could see over 2m foundations but I just checked and I'm wrong. Maybe a widescreen monitor is screwing with my perception.

Edit: Or the objects being held onscreen.

boxen fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 11, 2021

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I think I read they have plans for it eventually, and so they don't want anyone to build anyone there or it'll bork their saves when they utilize it? Don't know to the truth of it, but I think it's just a "don't build here" thing, without resorting to invisible walls or altering the map.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I think the game still keeps track of falling objects, it doesn't just delete them once they reach some arbitrary altitude or whatever.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Seems I'm about average, I built 3 coal plants in the SW near the lake to figure it out, then 9 more at the mushroom lake in the SE. Set up oil a little for plastic/rubber and ran some generators off the excess, but kept on running out of power. Finally built a big (for me) turbofuel setup in the NE desert. I'm expecting I'll have to tear chunks of that down and rebuild it after the new update, I haven't seen anything exactly but are they redoing turbofuel production? It shouldn't be incredibly bad unless they add new ingredients, the biggest hurdle was getting all the stuff to come in from where ever.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Klyith posted:

Turbofuel isn't changing. But the change to powerplants consuming 100% fuel at all times will I think be the most dangerous for turbofuel. The nature of it means that when people build turbofuel power they generally build it big, and that means the plant frequently hasn't been stressed to max power output.

My to-do list before the update is going around to all my power plants and re-calculating every part of the fuel production, to make sure they won't run dry. Since you never draw 100% power in practice, I was ok approximating the results a bit -- like if coal production was 240, and the turbofuel generators might theoretically use 245 max, it was good enough. Buffers in the system would handle it. Not anymore. Usually I tried to aim in the other direction and have a bit more supply than demand, but I'm not positive. Gotta take notes and work it out on paper.

I think when I set up my turbofuel originally, I figured out how much coal I could have coming in from the one node in the area with a mk3 miner, and figured out how much oil that would take to run it at full bore, and that's how I figured out how many refineries and assemblers I'd need. This meant that my power usage is a little spikey as parts of that plant kick on and off, but I have enough extra that it didn't matter.
The way I left it, it's capable of generating waaay more turbofuel than it can use (I never finished putting in all the generators).

So, unless I'm misunderstanding how things work (very possible), the generators going full-bore all the time shouldn't impact me that much, I just might want to not overclock them. I guess I might want to redo my power grid to take advantage of the new things there, though.

Edit: Has there been any talk of being able to use turbofuel in the jetpack? Screw belted biofuel, I want a turbo jetpack.

boxen fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 9, 2021

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

Having to go out and source biofuel encourages exploration and going around the world. It’s a good thing

The only thing that I hate about biofuel is going out exploring and the entire loving ecosystem turns against me. None of the wildlife gives a poo poo about each other, but hoo boy it'll chase you halfway across the damned map. I'm wondering if all the wildlife is cooperatively dickish as a purposeful design decision so you don't feel bad about strip-mining the planet.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Nukelear v.2 posted:

This is max hover distance from that tower, so slightly further than a single blender.

Do higher tier power poles have longer hover ranges? Does the hoverpack also work with wall power sockets?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Hell, I still have all of the machines to build iron rods, plates, and reinforced plates still in the same places they originally were when I built my first base, it was a spaghetti mess then and it's a spaghetti mess now, and I've only piled more noodles around it. I set up a coal powerplant as a distance away, laid out a little better, then an oil setup a distance from that, just steadily improving. All of it's still there and it works, I've updated bits of it as I've figured out better ways or as patches came out (I still need to retool my aluminum production). You get better at anticipating and planning, and if you keep restarting you're gonna run out of resources to build something big. Every node has unlimited resources, and there's a poo poo ton of most nodes, so efficiency and neatness are more for a fun challenge than a requirement.

After loving around with small satellite bases that didn't have a ton of organization, at about 130 hours in I decided to build a turbofuel power generator base and stop having power issues for awhile. It's currently making enough turbofuel to power 200+ generators, and that was a massive challenge to lay out and involved a couple of restarts. I hosed up the initial layout so the final generator layer is a mess, but meh. It still generates a fuckton of power (well, relative to what I'm used to), and I wanna try some other projects.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Tamba posted:

I was exploring the edge of the desert biome a bit and found some areas that look very unfinished, but there were drop pods there that don't seem to be marked on the online map yet:

I just picked up those exact two pods a few days ago, they were added in the patch. They weren't on the map probably because you were in the "early access" map tab, but were playing "experimental" which is the test-patch before it goes official in a week or two.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'm not sure what I think about the blueprints thing. Sometimes setting up a factory is tedious, but I spent most of last night redoing the iron/steel production that was the first stuff I set up (it's not important, but it's right next to my main base so I had to look at the spaghetti mess ALL THE TIME...)

I figured out that a large part of the satisfaction I get from this game is trying to plan out factories and getting everything running smoothly. I realized I could eliminate iron ingots and get everything from steel, so I figured out the max amount of coal I could get (belt-limited), then scaled my iron ore to match...

I can get more steel by making iron ingots first then using an alternate recipe to turn them into steel... okay how many smelters do I need for that much iron... ~12 per miner non overclocked... okay so that's two floors of 12... i can do 2 rows of 6, 3 rows of 4, let's do 2 floors of 4 rows of 3... then I need foundries...and then figure out the belting for everything.... Also, if I can download blueprints off the internet, that'd likely just show me how poo poo I am at laying things out in this game compared to other people.

I didn't finish the setup, and I don't know what I'm going to do with all the ingots, but it was very satisfying to figure it all out and plan the layout. I think for me blueprints would be sort of like having cheat codes on in something like Skyrim - fun for awhile but I'd get bored much faster.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

I always find better ways to do things or better ways to lay things out.

Hell, I can't even set up two theoretically-identical production floors the same way even if I'm trying to.

Oh well. My factories are BESPOKE. Geography clipping through the sides and floor isn't because I didn't plan the layout well enough, it's a STYLISTIC CHOICE.

boxen fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 20, 2021

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

explosivo posted:

I've never tried it but can't you edit your game using the satisfactory map tool save editor? Maybe check to see if it shows up on the map and move it by right clicking it.

I'd try this. I'm not trying to "cheat" anything and I've still had to open that up a few times... crates being below ground level, my rover fell through the ground (and i got tired of looking at the compass indicator for it), etc.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'm not certain there is such a thing as a stupid Satisfactory question.

I also figure out the splitter math (roughly) when I'm building and never worry about it again. The only bad part about setting up a manifold like that is that it takes a bit for everything to fill up and start getting your full production. I'll often shut down the first few machines in the manifold to speed the filling for the stuff at the end. I mostly use smart splitters to send production overflow into a sink, and I don't think I've ever used a programmable splitter. I don't have nearly as nice/organized factory setups as others I've seen, though, even just in this thread.

At something approaching 200 hours played, I've started going more vertical with my factories... ie machines making the same item will have a vertical manifold rather than horizontal. It's more of a pain to set up but it makes scaling easier. I rebuilt my very first spaghetti factory making iron ingots, plates, rods, and screws to do steel instead (maxing out a pure coal node nearby, at least to make ingots), then I have a vertical stack making steel pipe, another making steel plates, a vertical stack of assemblers making the steel plates into screws, a vertical stack of assemblers making iron plates (alternate recipe using steel and plastic).
It's a bigger pain to set up but it should be a lot easier to scale since if I need more production I can just keep adding floors, rather than having floors devoted to one item and horizontal manifolds, then running out of space on that floor. The purpose of this factory is to just crank out the low-level stuff (rather than supercomputers or turbo motors or something), so I think this will work better. I should be able to set up splitters to more vertical factories to make heavy frames and such. I guess this setup is more easily modular than what I've tried before.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
For me, Heavy Frames is about the point where I need to have satellite factories. My start was in the SW, so there's coal, iron, copper, and limestone in relatively close proximity. To make anything more complicated than Heavy Modular Frames and Motors, I need to bring something else in from another factory somehow.
I put up a rail line around the perimeter of the map (-ish), which was a major project but now I have a relatively straightforward way to bring large quantities of anything to most of my factories on the map.

I'm going to need to set up drones soon (my quartz miners are up on a cliff), but to do that I need to set up a battery factory, I don't have the non-blender recipe, so that might need to go somewhere that sulfur and nitrogen are close to each other, which looks like on the coast on the east side...

I find the tedious laying out of factories to be really relaxing. It does feel a bit like work to me, but it's work where things are done however I want them to be done, identically, every time and the result is always the same. Actual work is more like things might be done the way I hoped, and I'm lucky if they can be done the same way twice. All the screwups are my own, and I can decide myself if it needs to be redone or if I can live with it (I always live with it).

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Yeah, I load my save into the map viewer, to plan my route and figure out what parts I need.

I've started using power poles and the hover pack to hunt drives, some of the power requirements are higher than what a bio burner will output, and it's not a bad thing to have power lines to various areas of the map.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Don't feel bad if your setup ends looking messy. I always start organized with the best of intentions, but always end up with a spaghetti mess. It becomes a game of how long you can delay the mess.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also important to any factory is making a slug carousel. Output a few slugs onto a belt, delete the container, and close the loop. Watch your little buddies go!

When you log out, do they disappear off the belt? That's what happened to a frame I got from the Christmas event that I made a little carousel for. I'd hate to lose my slug buddies.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Don't be afraid of long distances in this game

My favorite instance of this is by far the easiest way I have to get from base to base is a series of large cannons I use to fire myself across the map.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

GotLag posted:

Turns out I can give berries to lizard dogs and just not pet them and they'll run off after a while

So you just... not pet the dog? You monster.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I eventually set up a small factory with a single input container and two output containers. Into the input container goes wood, leaves, and alien carapaces (I think, its either that or organs, whichever one can't be used for inhalers. I also don't make mushrooms into biomass, it's more useful for inhalers), a smart splitter sorts those out and directs them to one constructor each, and the output of those three get merged and then split into two again. One of those two goes to a storage container in case I need normal biomass, the other gets made into solid biofuel.

I really hated running across the occasional recipe needing biomass and only having solid biofuel. That and another small factory I have making explosive charges, beacons, and rifle ammo have been little things I've made to eliminate irritating occasional needs.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

GotLag posted:

It's more of a timing/rhythm thing. Fire, reload while it recovers and charges again, switch to zapper, poke it as it reaches you, switch to rebar gun, choose a new victim.

Having several stacks of explosives for when I get really irritated at one is handy too.

For the biomass, it got frustrating to go find enough trees/bushes to cut down to craft more to make filters or something when I already had a solid biomass setup, especially since it was on as a side job for some other project. Just putting a splitter before the solid biomass constructor solved the problem.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

i have no idea what over/underclocking is but whatever. i just want to stop refueling my own poo poo

I don't think there's much reason to figure out overclocking until your buildings can run nonstop without you having to do something, which until you have coal power is the case.

If you've seen glowing slugs around, you can craft them into devices to plug into your buildings, allowing you to "overclock" them by 50/100/150% (for one two and three devices, I think those are the levels). You get faster production, but there's usually a tradeoff in the form of much higher power consumption or something. You don't super need to worry about rates of production until you are trying to balance a multi-stage production process, which you don't really need to worry about until you can just leave your poo poo running by itself without it shutting off, which generally you can't do until coal unless you REALLY like cutting down trees.

Generally, it will be more efficient to just build two factories rather than overclock one, but there might be other factors.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
That time again?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh neat, train tracks are power lines.

That's saved me a bunch of work. I have a train line more or less circling the map, delete some track and pop down a station (nothing even has to stop there), reconnect and you can pull power from it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Just underclocked. We'll get there.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

I will put this idea up on the shelf where I keep “mk1 steam trains which take combustibles and water to run”

I'd happily build water and coal stations around the map if it meant I could get cool futuristic steam engines chugga-chugging around.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

queeb posted:

god i just got to steel and i feel like things just got 10x as complex

You're going to love aluminum.

I think in my (one) big factory, I don't actually use iron for anything anymore, all the iron ore gets made into steel bars, and what I still need that's usually made out of iron (plates, maybe?) can be made from steel plus something else (rubber?) if you have the alternate recipe. That made that section of my factory much easier to plan, since I could just make all of the iron ore into steel rather than separating some out to be made into iron bars for like one thing. Screws, Iron Bars, and Iron Plates can all be made out of steel with alternate recipes, although it may not be the most efficient in terms of material or the fastest production.

boxen fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 14, 2021

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I hated exploring until I got the jumpy legs thing, and then the jetpack. Also, the realization I could STILL BUILD THINGS away from my base was big... for some reason when I was out exploring I put that part of the game out of my head. Now I build bunkers/kennels for hostile wildlife when I'm coming up to a crash site with a bunch of wildlife around it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If I'm honest, the spiders in this game are why I automated the production of explosive charges and rifle ammo.

vvv A single rifle shot will pop one of those damned flying crab things, but they fly so awkwardly they can be hard to hit. Dammit game, let me craft a shotgun.

boxen fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 17, 2021

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

You can put all your power sources and all your machinery on the same network of cables. The fuse blows if you try to draw more power than your generators can provide.

To add on to this, it also doesn't matter where in the circuit your power producers are. You can't daisy-chain things on a circut (ie, machine to machine) without mods, you have to go through power poles.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I have a very stupid question. When i first started the game out I used a power pole to connect the two biomass burners on the back of the HAB to each other, but when I turned them on they blew their fuses. So I assumed that you just can't have multiple power producers on a single circuit. Now I am reading things that make it sound like you can. Could someone let me know if I have been running insane numbers of wires around my base for no goddamned reason

AFAIK, the only thing that trips breakers is power draw exceeding power production. So, either you had too many machines drawing power from the burners, or they ran out of fuel and stopped making power. Different materials burn at different rates, for example I think leaves burn faster than wood (while generating the same power).

Run powerlines everywhere! Spiderweb the spaghetti!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

My group finished the final stage yesterday. I forgot to get a screenie of my gold mug.

Then we spent a couple hours goofing around with factory carts and now we're trying to find something new.

I got my nephew into this game no long ago, and we did a little bit of multiplayer so he could show me what he'd done. He'd seen my world earlier, but went completely his own way with his which was fun to see.

He said he'd recently unlocked the factory carts, but thought they were useless. I told him that they were actually pretty good on foundations, and that I'd read of a mad bastard who used them instead of conveyor belts to move things around his factory.

Then we made a skate park and had factory-cart X-Games for two hours. High point was using the curved-corner foundations to make a round tunnel and having barrel-roll competitions.

Good times.

(He's 33)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

SettingSun posted:

The best thing to use factory carts for is using all the curved ramps and make a skate park.

Silly Mario-Kart-style race tracks are also acceptable.
Doing a full barrel roll in a factory cart is still one of my crowning achievements in this game.