Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
People keep doing these very particular and annoying things in this thread like saying singular "Star War" and quoting "I sure am tired of all these Star Wars" and referring to the Emperor as "Sheev", and I don't know what all these are referencing but can we all knock it off cause goddamn is it tedious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

So they conspicuously haven't shown the Emperor at all and this being a JJ Abrams movie this means they are specifically hiding that it sucks in some way. Like he's gonna have a dumb new look or he only appears for like 30 seconds or something, but it's pretty much Abrams' signature move to cover up the lame stuff by making it look "all part of the fun mystery!"

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Randarkman posted:

Speaking of George Lucas's (supposed) original vision of nine movies. When was it exactly that the originals were relabeled as IV, V and VI? I know for the original releases they were just "Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" but they were later relabeled, presumably before the release of Episode I.

If I were to guess it would be with the VHS releases in the 90s when episode I was in production, that's when I first saw the movies (in 1997 I think, a friend of mine had them on VHS) and throughout most of childhood and teens I watched the movies on two VHS tapes we recorded the movies on when a channel aired a marathon of all the movies, which included a documentary (which aired before IV) and some Star Wars-themed shorts between the movies themselves a couple of weeks before Episode I released in 1999. And those were all obviously labelled IV, V and VI.

I kind of miss those old tapes actually, though I know if I went back and tried to watch them again the quality would be loving abysmal.

"Episode IV A NEW HOPE" was added to the text crawl in the opening for Star Wars in a 1980 rerelease ahead of the first run of The Empire Strikes back.

Edit: Adding some content cause I was beaten to he punch on the answer; a big part of the reason Episode I's release was such a big deal wasn't just "omg new Star Wars", but also the low-key way the movies had referenced that there was a whole other trilogy of "episodes" gave them a kind of mythic quality. For nearly two decades it was like there were these mysterious other Star Wars movies we could only imagine about, and then finally when Episode I officially went into production the reaction was like, "my god, they're doing it, the bastards are actually going to make the Star Wars prequels!" :aaa:

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 28, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think ROTJ as it is could have worked better if it were, like, the fifth or sixth movie. ...
if they'd had at least one or two more movies' worth of adventures before revisiting tatooine and the death star, i think it would have been received better

edit: alternately if you do the tatooine revisit in one of those intermediate movies then you can spend all of the last movie on luke/vader/emperor and taking down the empire

This strikes me as a very contemporary view of what 'works' that you're trying to apply to a 1983 movie. Maybe that's exctly what you mean to do, which is fine, but a lot of things really were different at the time.

There wasn't an immediate backlash to Return of the Jedi. In fact, it had a prerty gangbusters reception and the fact it managed to outgross Empire which already had a remarkable hold for a sequel (generally sequels were expected to do about half the business of their predecessors at the time) was pretty jaw-dropping. Throughout the 80s and 90s the consensus would form that ROTJ was the weakest of the bunch, but initially the three movies were quite equal in regard, with everyone having their favorites. Honestly it was probably Empire that had the most contentious reputation during the trilogy's heyday - people hadn't quite made up their minds whether its lack of resolution was a strength or a weakness.

The reprise of Tatooine and Death Star weren't seen as nostalgia so much as bringing the series full circle; people knew this was a finale and saw it as wrapping things up and revisiting things because this was the last chance to do so.

The very casual suggestion that the trilogy would have been better served with two or three more installments is super-modern - you really couldn't take the audience's patience for such an extended movie series for granted. It's true that Rocky and Star Trek managed to rack 'em up, but they were also the butt of a lot of jokes for being seemingly neverending. Even Lucas's own ambitions for a trilogy of trilogies were considered more aspirational than anything and I doubt it surprised anyone when he eventually decided to try wrapping it up by the third installment.

If you told people about the Marvel Cinematic Universe back then it definitely would've blown some minds, and the very idea might have been considered ridiculous and tasteless.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 28, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Richard M Nixon posted:

It's rotj and the Bothans just gave the rebels info on where the death star ii was located and clued them in to the emperor's visit.

"Just"? I'll have you know many bothans died for that information, thank you very much :colbert:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Rutibex posted:

quite wrong. Star wars is based on the Flash Gordan movie serials, which had 13 installments and came out in 1936. no one would have found 6 movies to be outrageous or even new

Barudak posted:

There were movie franchises in the 50s that would have 6+ entries in a single year.

Times had changed between the 30s/50s and the 80s, also. Serials and rapid-release franchising were seen as old-fashioned and cheap, the kind of thing best left for TV to fill. By the end of the 80s you did start seeing a lot more Part 5s and 6s, but not without a lot of commentary from the public about how silly it was. And nearly all of these were conceived one at a time, as in you made one move, and if it did well, you made a follow-up, repeat.

The idea that you would plan four or five movies ahead (and moreover, that someone would casually suggest making 6 movies instead of 3 almost as if it were a matter of course) is a very 2010s kind of mindset. Star Wars itself was about the only movie in a position to even entertain such a notion, and as I said, I think folks who'd read about Lucas's plans were kind of incredulous that he'd really go all the way with it, and they were kind of right.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

FilthyImp posted:

Oh god. With Palpatine being so prominent in the advertising, I realized that Abrams totally was going to have it be that Snoke was Palps somehow until TLJ killed it

I think it's just as likely they were always planning on pulling a Ninja Gaiden II with this trilogy.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

The version of Star Wars up for streaming on Disney+ has the Greedo scene revised AGAIN.

https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/star-wars-greedo-han-shot-first-edited-again-maclunkey.html

Honestly this one's an improvement over the past few edits. Assuming "maclunky!" means something like "die, rear end in a top hat!" it finally makes sense why Han and Greedo would then attempt to shoot each other simultaneously.

It only took them 22 years and 3 separate attempts but they finally got it to be coherent. Time amd effort well spent, right guys?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I was kind of 'blah' on TFA, I really liked (most of) TLJ, and I suspect I'll have a blast with TROS (whether or not it's actually "good" is another story).

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I love The Last Jedi because the whole thing is just a big metaphor for Star Wars and Luke is like an old geek going on about what a huge mistake it was to make more Star Wars movies and that it's ruined both the backstory and ending of the original trilogy and how he wants no part of any more Star Wars and the whole franchise should just die already, and then Yoda comes in all like "dude it's just a movie get over yourself, here watch this" and blows up a shelf full of original Star Wars trilogy Betamaxes and Luke goes, "oh yeah lol." Meanwhile Rey's going around asking everyone "What's the point of my character? Why am I even in this movie? I don't understand!"

It was pretty amusing and cathartic for someone like me who was never really sold on TFA the way it seemed everyone else was, and in general reminded me that poo poo happens and to try to keep a good attitude and not overly precious about things.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

As preposterous a revelation as the Emperor's Granddaughter may be, I rewatched TFA for the first time since 2015 and the movie does feel like it makes more sense and it was a more interesting watch in general with this piece of information in mind. Rey's always had a strangely compelling, indescribable presence that's managed to carry her character through these movies so far despite being a complete cipher, and it's almost like a lightbulb moment to see her now and understand "this is someone who doesn't know she's 'one of the bad guys'". I also like the mirroring of Luke and Leia being the contingency plan for the fallen Jedi; Rey being the post-death contingency plan for the Emperor.**

I know the consensus is that Abrams probably pulled this out of his rear end in this third movie after deciding to bring back the Emperor, but if it wasn't I think it would've really helped if they somehow discovered the truth earlier. For one, it would've helped set up the Emperor's later return and the revelation itself would've been less corny than "ta-da! I'm back! Oh by the way you're my granddaughter hahaha," and it would've been interesting to see the other characters deal with this and still try to trust her, etc.

** I'll admit I'm probably just glad Rey has any kind of background at all now and as a result watching TFA doesn't feel so much like Abrams is standing there going "ooh, doesn't this all seem SO mysterious? Sure seems like there's more to this scenario than meets the eye, doesn't it? Or maybe that's just what I want you to think? But of course there's gotta be something significant going on, right? Or maybe not! You never know…"

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

James Earl Jones: "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the powa of lahv."

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Another thing I noticed with my recent TFA rewatch was that it almost felt more like a sequel to Spaceballs. Like each character seemed to have a more direct analogue in Spaceballs than anything in the previous Star Wars movies.

Roughly, Rey : Princess Vespa, Kylo Ren : Dark Helmet, Finn : Barf, Poe : Lone Star, Commander Hux : Colonel Sanders, Supreme Leader Snoke : President Scroob

And just in terms of style, I feel like Yogurt could've walked right on in during a scene in TFA and it would not be weird or out of place at all in that move.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

While we're at it, you could count General Leia as Dot Matrix with her matronly demeanor and raspy Joan Rivers-esque voice.

And in some parts Harrison Ford was reminding me of Leslie Nielsen, who wasn't in Spaceballs but you could definitely picture eventually landing in a sequel to Spaceballs.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I really loving hate the idea of Sheev having a "contingency plan" if that is how it ends up being framed. Like the entire loving point on both a material and thematic level of the final confrontation in Jedi is that Sheev eats poo poo and dies because he's too selfish and cynical to plan for a scenario in which Luke refuses to play ball and convinces Vader to do the same. He's so high on his own evil farts it legit never crosses his mind

Someone who actually watches it tell me this part afterward so I know how mad to be

Oh my God is this actually him

I think there were multiple discussions of "contingency plans" going on but if you were triggered by my using the term to describe Rey as his descendant, I didn't mean it as a pre-determined backup plan of his, just trying to (inaccurately) describe her being instrumental to the Emperor's attempt to return to power in an analogous way to Luke and Leia being "the last hope" for the Jedi previously.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I'm glad the EU is dead

My post wasn't directed at anybody in particular. I'm just annoyed that they brought back Palpatine at all. If it's reasoned within Ep 9 that he survived thanks to deliberate actions he took it will make everything exponentially stupider by going back in time to ruin the best part of Jedi
Ah, gotcha. As far as I know (someone correct me if we got an update) but word is there's no explanation for Palpatine's presence aside from what we might extrapolate from what is apparently a bizarre "living death" physical condition we initially see him in.

Probably the most "contingency plan"-like thing we could peg on him is that he might have mastered the Darth Plegieius (however the gently caress you spell that) patented "keep yourself from dying" technique he mentioned in Episode III, and even then I imagine that's more like the Dark Side equivalent to taking French night classes at the community college than it is him being specifically concerned his evil plans could ever possibly fail.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 18, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

The bad news: Rise of Skywalker is apparently not a great Star Wars movie.
The good news: sounds like it's a pretty decent Legend of Zelda movie!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Collider: ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ Review: What a Piece of Junk
https://collider.com/rise-of-skywalker-review/

Slashfilm: ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ Review: The Saga Ends With a Rushed, Disappointing Finale
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-rise-of-skywalker-review/

Vox: The Rise of Skywalker is what happens when a franchise gives up. The new movie is a colossal failure of imagination.
https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/12/18/21021188/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-review-no-spoilers

New York Times: “The Rise of Skywalker” isn't a great “Star Wars” movie, but that may be because there is no such thing.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/18/movies/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-review.html

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm actually coming around on disliking the naked saber in the tent moment more and more.

Realistically sure people in the real world don't just go through neat development that can be plorted on an arc and aren't even the same people from day to day if they miss breakfast and get a "we need to talk" text from their SO. But from a narrative character perspective the movie needed to show us the backslide from tossing his lightsaber aside to hug his dad.

One of the things that The Mandalorian is kind of showing by filling in stuff TFA wouldn't even bother giving us a throw-away line to explain from a world-building view is that there's a whole lot of story that got glossed over between the OT and ST.

Like, Star Wars started "in the middle" and it works because that's the first we see of these characters. If you're going to start "in the middle" of your sequel with the story told and the characters established, you need to sell us on why they may be different than when we left them.

Like, it's not TONS better but they at least give us a little setup for what happened to Han:

Han ended the OT having turned from a self-interested smuggler in it for the payday to a General volunteering for a dangerous missions to save the galaxy. In the ST we see he's back to grifting and smuggling and estranged from the love of his life, his wife Leila. But they at least address it, however satisfying or unsatisfying you find the explanation: losing his son to Snoke punched a hole in his life and in his distress he returned to the capers his misspent youth.

There's kind of a "scene missing" card between "I won't fight you, father" and tossing away his saber in the face of two evil wizards responsible for gigadeaths and willing to kill him because of his faith in "the good in you," and contemplating cold blooded murder over not even actions but bad dreams.

I don't exactly hate the story they told, but it needed either connective tissue to tell us what changed Luke, or to ditch the Rashamon thing where even in his own telling he did the way wrong thing and set it up so Kylo's turn was something more than bad thoughts before Luke felt forced to ignite his laser sword.
What the hell are you talking about. If you find out the person in front of you is the next Hitler and you can stop WWIII with an effortless swing of a laser sword that you happen to have on your person, it is and should be everyone's first instinct to do so because it's just the sensible loving thing to do.

It's because Luke's character and 'better nature' is consistent in the film that he decides not to do so before he can go through with it.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Owlbear Camus posted:

There's kind of a "scene missing" card between "I won't fight you, father" and tossing away his saber in the face of two evil wizards responsible for gigadeaths and willing to kill him because of his faith in "the good in you," and contemplating cold blooded murder over not even actions but bad dreams.

The "scene missing" is the part where he's about to slice slice his father's head off for talking poo poo about his sister before he cools his head and decides not to. It establishes that Luke can be violent when emotional.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Captain Jesus posted:

This is the dumbest loving argument. We know that premonitions are tricky in the Star Wars universe. Anakin has a premonition that Padme is gonna die in childbirth. He tries to prevent it and causes it to happen. Luke has a premonition in ESB that his friends are dying. Yoda tells him that future is always in motion and he should forget it. His friends then not only don't die without his help but he also falls into Vader's trap. Luke would know this, because it happened to him.

Then guess what? Luke has a premonition that Kylo is gonna do bad poo poo, and his instinct is to kill him. This ends up catalyzing Kylo's fall the dark side. Luke should know at that point that what he saw wasn't set in stone and murder shouldn't have been his first instinct, especially when the person in question was his nephew.

Right... which is why he stops himself before he does it and feels ashamed.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

revwinnebago posted:

Yeah I mean she was so great as (checks IMDB)

She played a stagehand on Toast of London, I guess? Good for her.

(Mark Hamill also had a crap acting career, to be fair. He didn't find real success until he started voice acting.)

Ian McDiarmid is an absolutely fantastic actor and before this Star Wars his last movie role was... Star Wars Episode III 14 years ago.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

To the person in one of these Star Wars threads that asked whether the movie ends with Rey holding her yellow lightsaber downward from her hip and asking someone "hey does it look like I'm taking a piss lol", I just wanna say thanks. I only chuckled a little when I first read it last night, but it keeps popping up in my head every so often today and gets funnier every time and now I don't think I will ever NOT think of that scenario whenever I see that yellow lightsaber. I'd quote the post but I can't seem to find it!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Randarkman posted:

Rogue One is even more pandering than TFA and had no interesting characters and lifeless action scenes.

The space battle in Rogue One is not better than the Space Battle in Jedi.

Rogue One had a gratuitous Vader as Jason Voorhees with a lightsaber scene as a the literal cumshot equivalent of the last 30 minutes of the movie which is best described simply as Star Wars porn

The only thing I remember from Rogue One's ending battle is that two big ships collide with each other and while it was a neat sequence with good effects, Star Trek already did it like twice so it was kind of like eh.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

"Vader strikes mortal fear into all and sundry" isn't really that accurate. Some manlet moff sasses him in front of everybody in ANH and Tarkin's more exasperated than anything when Vader retaliates. He's just muscle and while there's value to showing muscle acting muscular, people aren't wrong to describe the Rogue One sequence as kinda masturbatory

That random guy who sasses Vader has got to be one of my favorite screen performances ever.
"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebels' hidden fort..."

You can tell that actor had a freakin' ball playing someone that amazingly arrogant. It actually helps sell the Vader force-choke because gawd, who wouldn't want to choke someone like that?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Haha, yup. The admiral meeting in ANH is probably favorite Star Wars scene and the OT is full of incredibly great scenes on that level.

Sydin posted:

Tarkin's incredulously :raise: when Vader starts choking the guy is loving perfect.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I always wondered if it wasn't a winking meta-commentary joke that the guy gets choked off from name checking the Kurasawa flick that inspired a huge amount of the screenplay.

Randarkman posted:

The conference scene in ANH is probably my favorite single scene in the entire series.

Adding to all this: the guy does a great job of pretending to be choked. I should go look up that actor's name. He deserves that much, at least.

etalian posted:

But in all fairness it was a accurate complaint given how incompetent the Empire seems to be in all the movies like their supposedly best Legion getting clowned on by cannibal midgets.

The fact that he's right just makes it all the sweeter. The way Vader steps forward to approach him like he's thinking, oh, you motherfucker tells how he's actually stung by being called out like this.

Edit: Oh, hell, let's all just watch it again together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnNSnJbjdws

Star Wars was really loving good back in the day, boys.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Watching all these British Imperial guys reminds me that Rey being British does actually make for some nifty retrograde foreshadowing, heh heh.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I just got to that part. It seems stupid though...

Wait, are you liveposting while watching? Haha, just give us a rundown of the most ridiculous parts in real-time!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Randarkman posted:

The guy Vader chokes is American though. Subsequent popular culture has overplayed the Britishness of the Imperials, which probably was mostly the result of where the films were primarily shot.

Ah, but he's an American trying to sound British, though, with that hoity-toity Frasier mid-Atlantic accent. The Empire is so British even its Americans get British-ish.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Randarkman posted:

Thinking about it. Doesn't he kind of look like Frasier?

That admiral probably went home to complain about his lousy day at work at the Death Star having to deal with his ignoramus bosses who can't handle the truth to his brother Nigel, a meek lieutenant married to Maris the Hutt.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Randarkman posted:

It's probably a deliberate choice born out of coincidence so to speak. The idea of villain with an English accent was already around by the time ANH came out I'm pretty sure.

Darth Vader himself being the obvious exception here, of course.

Then again, maybe that was foreshadowing as well :aaa:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Just Chamber posted:

Yea they all look down on the jumped up Yank, with his spiritual powers from the colonies.

A black Yank, at that (which comes across in spite of Lucas allegedly having told Jones he didn't want Vader to "sound black"). That Imperial jealousy coming out.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

An Ounce of Gold posted:

e: Does NO ONE die when they are thrown down a chasm? Luke jumps down and he lives in ESB, Palp in RotJ and he's fine, and now Kylo is just wall climbing back up? gently caress, if you are about to die in Star Wars I suggest just jumping into a pit. You'll be fine!

There's a reason you keep hearing people say the movie is like a videogame.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

literally a hog posted:

Also if you wanted to hear what Palpatines broadcast to the galaxy was they actually played it in Fortnite as one of the tie ins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vHrQCKaJiQ

Hmm I give it a 5/10, ol' Emperor Palps is rusty in his evil machievellian swagger game.
Skeletor did it better: https://youtu.be/uWIzzdwTQFM?t=283

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Oh wow, I loved this. (And gently caress all your fan politics while you're at it, TLJ was my jam, too). I'm glad I ran through all the spoilers beforehand, I think it helps to already know going in what specific dumb stuff happens so you can appreciate it for what it is rather than lament the 1000+ missed opportunities.

This one really pares down its form until it's pretty much raw Star Wars: a tight-knit ensemble cast zipping from one fantastic location to another in the Millennium Falcon on a grand space opera journey. The new characters have definitely come into their own and play off each other wonderfully; and Rey has finally, FINALLY become a full-fledged character and not just a sentient "?" with legs (the movie even has essentially a do-over of the last film's "your parents are nobody" reveal so we can see her actually react to it this time, which was one of my few complaints about TLJ).

Out of all the Star Wars movies made in the last 20 years since Episode I came out, this is the one that most resembles what I'd imagined back when the thought of new Star Wars movies was just a dream. You and the best friends you've ever had are going on the adventure of a lifetime together (in space!). For better or worse, it does come off like it was written by a 13-year-old, but I found it kind of charming - even COMPLAINING about this movie is fun!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I think all the "new" (Ep.I and up) Star Wars movies had underestimated just how important the Millennium Falcon was to the Star Wars form and how it was this cozy lived-in ship the size of a small house or apartment that the OT basically centered itself around. They of course brought it back in the last two but here it's finally home for these characters and it was something I didn't even realize was missing from Star Wars until now.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I wish C-3PO had a mental breakdown just before the memory wipe and just let loose on everyone: "I'll gladly erase all my memories because you motherfuckers are all assholes who've treated me like poo poo all these years!" *Points* "gently caress you, gently caress you, you're cool, and gently caress you. Kiss my shiny gold droid rear end. C-3PO out!" *bzzzzzz*

Blistex posted:

Honestly, if I didn't pre-read the spoilers I would have had no idea what was happening in the movie. It was just that much of a speeding mess.

There is exactly one line in the entire movie that explains that there exists a cult that worships the dark side and even then I thought he was just comparing the Sith to a cult so at the end I was still scratching my head when that giant crowd appeared in the Emperor's temple.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

A super-weird thing I noticed was that in the first half of the movie I felt like most of the shots were framed too tightly, like everything was just a little too close to the camera. It's not something you'd really notice on a video screen (TV shows are often shot like this) but in the theater I had to try to ignore it.

That's not the weird part, though. The weird part is that I've always maintained this EXACT thing was the case in Episode III and I swear to god it's like JJ Abrams did this on purpose out of tradition or whatever. :stare:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I liked ROS cuz its 2 and a half hours of big dumb adventure and explosions and lightsabers to turn your brain off to.
I really liked the last scene too. Thought it was a nice close.

Full agreement here, except I wouldn't call it "turning your brain off". Like, in order to get full enjoyment you have to be smart enough to know you're watching something dumb. And I don't even mean it in that mean-spirited "watching it ironically" fashion, but rather just being honest with yourself that sometimes the things you love are actually really corny if you try to be objective about it. The movie's corny in all the right ways in order to feel authentic.

I also think the last scene feels like the 'correct' way to end it, and was probably the only leak that actually sounded good on paper. I'd have preferred if Abrams had played it more haunting/"poo poo is real" rather than lean in hard on the Disney-style heartwarmingness (I wouldn't have had the music come in until after Rey says her final line, for instance) but his approach is admittedly more on-brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Looking back at the whole trilogy, I like that Rey never fully embraces The Hero's JourneyTM and hers is more one of self-discovery (Luke's was, too, but that wasn't his initial motivation). I don't think a woman has any need for the Hero's Journey; I've always felt it addressed specifically male insecurities.

On that note, I also liked how we see that the Emperor uses sexism to color his approach for manipulating people: with Anakin and Luke it's all about how STRONG and POWERFUL the dark side will make them; with Rey he tries to appeal to her vanity - "Empress Palpatine!" If it were me I would have gone whole hog with it and just have him tell her "you'll be the most BEAUTIFUL and POPULAR person in the galaxy!" and promising riches and luxury but that's probably why I'm not a bigshot Hollywood director.