Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Hey guys here’s a wacky idea.

When your actor dies between films, recast. Don’t use scraps of unused footage, don’t turn them into a cgi cartoon, recast. Audiences aren’t so retarded that they won’t understand “oh character is another actor now I guess oh well”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It’s funny to think how if TLJ came out 10 years earlier, people could say they didn’t like it without being branded actual literal nazis and russian bots.

It’s just fun to imagine a less embarrassing time period in my life.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

If you aren't a Nazi or Russian bot you don't have to be embarrassed.

Embarrassed for the world, not for myself.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Hairy Busey posted:

At this point my guess is that rian Johnson has some primo blackmail material because why would you promise not just the next movie but an entire new trilogy to that hack?

“Star Wars will make billions no matter what, let everyone have a trilogy that’s just more trilogies and thus more billions. Doesn’t matter who.”

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 15, 2019

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

KillerJunglist posted:

Was he ever called Palpatine in the original movies? I liked the movies when I was a kid but wasn't crazy about them and I thought his name was just The Emperor.

I also thought it was Obi One, Hand Solo and a light saver because I was like 4 when Jedi came out.

Nope, just The Emperor. Also Anakin was only named in Return of the Jedi in a single line between Luke and Vader.

I thought it was Light Saver up until I played the Game Gear game and finally saw the word in writing.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I like that the cloaked ships couldn’t be detected until someone pressed the “detect cloaked ships” button.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

When a company is making money it’s because everything it has is making money. Chains only as strong as it’s weakest link after all!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

I hope phasma comes back. Maybe the ghost of evil bad guy can possess her corpse? Idk. She was the only interesting villain in new trilogy.

I mean, her costume was cool?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

“We bought this franchise just loving do something, anything, with it. We need to make money now. I don’t care, just do something.”

“Oh gently caress cancel everything! Where did we go wrong?”

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Subverting expectations should be about giving audiences something they didn’t realize they wanted, not doing something incorrectly and crying about it when people say they don’t like it.

“ITS JUST MY STYLE!”

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I know they say anakin was a slave but it really just seemed like he had a kinda jerky boss. Like, I’m sure we’ve all had worse jobs and bosses than Anakin at one point.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Barudak posted:

My jerky boss doesnt have a bomb in my head he can detonate whenever he wants.

Wow look at ol’ Hollywood over here

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Saint Drogo posted:

haven't seen Solo but it's hard to imagine it having a more terminal case of this than rogue one

How Han got his name
Where Han got his gun
How Han met chewie and came up with his nickname
How Han won the falcon
How the falcon got it’s nav computer
How Han met lando
The Kessel Run and what it means to do it in X parsecs

That’s just top of my head

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

It's like they specifically wanted to make sharing the video to new people as awkward as it could possibly be.

It’s still a lot less awkward than every single other YouTube Star Wars review, even if Plinkett were a real person!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

It's all just a misunderstanding, at the end of Endgame when Captain America has sex with Thanos, Thanos is weeping but those are tears of joy, it's a sensual love scene but there are explosions and poo poo in the background so it's easy to misinterpret

The part where he exclaims what the A on his forehead stands for, I clapped.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Straight to 50 movie dvd pack.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Just Fin and Poe 69ing for 2.5 hours.

poo poo no that wouldn’t subvert anything.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I still can’t believe that the first order went from a small army to The Government That Always Ran Everything in the 10 minutes or so between films.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Even if the Ewoks were toy-bait, they actually mattered to the plot. TLJs toy-bait cute creatures existed ENTIRELY to sell toys and removing all scenes with them wouldn’t affect the plot in the slightest.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Apparently Corellia never had an Attaturk analog.

I dunno, that worm lady might have been a pedophile?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

Meesa drop somma phat beats onna you!
*Touches the one ear the headphones are covering as the other hand hits the tables*

That scene had a lot of good worldbuilding. Turns out Star Wars has the same racial slurs we do!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Why would anyone talk about child rape in the Star WARS thread? This doesn’t make a whole lot of sense here

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I was really looking forward to more Kylo Ren after ep7 but I just can’t give a poo poo anymore.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I hope rise of sky walker is 5 hours long and basically just covers what episodes 8 and 9 were supposed to cover

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It’s great how Luke just sorta died at the end. Just cuz. It mattered so little and came so out of nowhere that the actor didn’t even realize he was getting killed.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It never felt like a fatal last stand or anything. It felt like he decided to do good and have a character moment then practically unrelated just kinda died.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

sebmojo posted:

So did yoda and obeewan

Actually yodas speech and death sucked, along with about half of rotj

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

There’s always someone at work that will refer to last samurai as some white savior story about how Tom cruise is the best samurai. It feels like we saw entirely different movies but he is referencing events that actually occurred in the film so I don’t even know

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

They detected the cloaked ships by hitting the “detect cloaked ships” button

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's almost like Disney Star Wars is designed by a committee that includes coked-up marketers and the chinese government and they just take all input and mash it together without regards for how the final product looks, and then Rhian Johnson made things worse by using whatever leeway he had to just poo poo all over everything.

Woah hold up, it’s not cool to be a misogynist anymore bro.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Sydin posted:

I mean, certainly 9 will conform to this after TLJ pissed off every CHUD on the planet by having the most shallow, basic criticisms of the Patriarchy and Capitalism possible, and also the Chinese audience because the Asian actress kissed a black actor.

Chinese audiences don’t give a poo poo that an American of Korean ancestry did a thing.

It’s Star Wars so they don’t care either way but you know what I mean

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It’s like she died just to save us from that. She’s a loving hero.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

Besides which I'm pretty sure in most places on Eath murking a guy with a gun on you saying basically "I'm going to shoot you in the face riiigght abou-" is self defense.

True but tatooine’s legal system operates on the “I’m not touching you! I’m not touching you!” definition of what constitutes assault and self defense.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I haven’t seen the mandalorian because gently caress signing up for Disney plus, but is the show trying to say that Yodas people are just naturally good at the force? And that Dagobah is their home planet?

Both of those are stupid. The idea that Yoda’s entire species is just Good At It diminishes both Yoda and the force, while making Dagobah their home planet makes Yoda completely retarded.

“Hide from Death squads I must”
*returns to last known address*

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

OK. a friend of mine is generally geeky, but has somehow never seen any Star Wars*.

what's the consensus on viewing order? Machete order? I've discussed this with other giant goddamn dorks, but never expected it to actually come up in real life.

*except the Ewok movies, lol

The order they were released in. what the gently caress is a machete order

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Voting Floater posted:

What's the worst change he's made to Empire? There's a dozen different versions of the Emperor scene, but I guess people are broadly OK with that.

I loving hate the changes to that scene and it has always blown my mind that people are okay with it. Instead of speaking to a mysterious shadowy perhaps inhuman figure, Vader is now speaking to some guy on a sitcom set. And that doesnt even get into the dialogue changes that were done because they assumed you were watching the movies out of order.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

the original Emperor visual was apparently an elderly woman with chimp eyes cut in. and the voice actor was different, which I never realized.

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/marjorie-eaton-the-original-emperor.50033425/

Yep, all of these elements worked together to make a mysterious figure. Instead of a nice even tv sitcom lit human in bad makeup getting a passport photo.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Nothing in the films ever even implied that OT imperial stormtroopers are intended to be clones, and it’s just yet another thing that I don’t understand as having entered into any sort of public consciousness.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Blistex posted:

This feels like a very specific reference that I should be getting. Lexx? Larry Niven? Am I close?

It was a scene from the Ewoks cartoon from the 80s or 90s or whenever

Edit: to clarify, the character from the cartoon was named Rey, but it was just a coincidence. Daisy Ridley cleared this up in an interview a little before the TFA release.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Why do people keep saying “burn it all down” as said by Kylo Ren is the thesis of the Last Jedi and that it’s a good thing, especially when the movie does everything it can to ensure that nothing is getting burned down. All the way to the part where “haha just kidding Rey actually has the Jedi books lol”