Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Brienne writing the end of Jaime's entry in the Kingsguard register of deeds was genuinely a little touching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Did anyone ever figure out what was up with Arya and that horse? They really put a lot of emphasis on that and it just kind of went nowhere?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:lol: at D&D getting the job because they figured out that R+L=J but then had no idea how that was important to the rest of the story...
:rolleyes:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How soon they forget Lucky Wander Boy and Wolverine Origins. Because who would remember? Literally 50-year-old men getting places by having their dads call up old subordinates for favors.

I think I :airquote: get :airquote: Clegane Bowl, now... :ohdear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Solice Kirsk posted:

Jokes on you, I'm rewatching season 1. I almost forgot how good the show used to be.

It's funny to go back and realize the entire open is just a red herring. :asoiaf:

TulliusCicero posted:

I feel like the new way to watch GOT will be watch up to 4 and then skip around

Looking forward to the Amazon adaptation of the completed book series as a Bezos vanity project in ~17 years...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
LotR had a way worse ending than GoT: did no one else see The Hobbit? :crossarms:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Budget was never a problem, they were spending more per minute of film than many studio-backed film productions.

It's honestly hilarious how they had made the most popular television show, and the final bastion of Water Cooler Conversations, were offered more money and resources and episodes, but blew it all up because they wanted to move onto other projects that meant more to them. They hosed up GoT so badly it torpedoed the rest of their careers.

Like, I've never seen something memory-holed so fast: it went from the most common topic of conversation to completely ignored in about a month...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The whole stretch of the final "season" was so obviously rushed and just "let's get this over with..."

The writing overall just got so lazy, I remember an interview with Dinklage and he was like "Tyrion goes down to the crypt with all of the dead people, while fighting an army that raises the dead...I thought he was smart, but I guess not that smart." And then they put that poo poo in the aftercredits or whatever!
:lol:

The video of the final table read...just trying to imagine how far up my own rear end I'd have to be to think it was a good idea to film that. :circlefap:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
GRRM came to the bookstore I was working at about a decade ago and someone asked him about the long summers and orbital periods and he was asking if all of this complicated math he did explained how the world could be the way it was and GRRM just said "it's like that because I made it up..."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Is that just book 6, because I am not reading 1400 pages of fan theories...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

mp5 posted:

Yeah I mean good on him

After the way the show treated the material I don't think there's any way people will really be satisfied in the end anyway

I mean, you can almost see glimpses of it. They just left out so many important plots like the Targaryen pretenders/Jon Connington and all of Dorne so they didn’t have the right threads to finish the stitch.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

moosecow333 posted:

I’m of the opinion that he’s actually finished all the books but he’s gonna release them right when he dies.

He doesn’t need the money and if the books totally suck he’ll be dead and won’t know or care how they’re received.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

GRRM’s largest problem is he doesn’t write with any outline and has openly said that knowing the ending bores him which is bad for writing an epic multi part fantasy series that started out as a trilogy and has continually added more books along the way because he doesn’t put limits on himself. Books 4 and 5 (which is effectively just a single installment split in half) don’t even have endings. A good third of the next book will be stuff he never finished for the last two.

Wot? :confuoot:

The main POV characters have all been outlined and finished for the last decade or so out to the end and a large portion of the remaining manuscript is finished, but I imagine he is tired of working on the same project for 30+ years...

..but then again: Wildcards. So :iiam:

Scuttlebutt is it will all be destroyed if he dies before it is published.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m sorry but is this a joke? Because it’s absolutely untrue.

I mean, he said it in his blog not long after Dances came out so :shrug:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There was some thing a few years back where GRRM interviewed or had a discussion with King at some event, and one of the first questions he asked him was something like "how the gently caress are you able to write so much and so fast"

This interview is actually really interesting and worth a viewing if you haven’t seen it!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Asgerd posted:

I really don't know why he doesn't just hand all those preview chapters and whatever napkin scrawlings he has over to some no-name ghost writer, toss them a few thousand bucks and put something out. The franchise's name is mud already, what's the worst that could happen?

It has been explicitly stated that this will not happen. Either GRRM finishes it or no one does. :v:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s not that hard to start from the fact that every preview chapter he has revealed was something he wrote before ADWD was published and then come to the stark realization that if he’s indeed been writing over the last decade so so much of it has been rewriting endlessly as he keeps running into dead ends with his “I’m a gardener I don’t use outlines” approach.

The funniest thing about Dances is that, in the end, he ended up chopping the last 500ish manuscript pages and saving them for Winds. So Dances could have come out a year or two earlier than it did and something like a third of the MS for Winds was finished before Dances was published.
:laugh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
In one of the post-credits things D&D said they cut out all of the dire wolf stuff because they hate working with dogs on set.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Winds will only have one POV character and it will be the Night King!

Boosh! The whole series and every character has been Stark’d!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Pretty sure she spent the last few seasons drinking wine because she dated the actor who played Bronn but then they fell out and put it in their contracts that they couldn’t have any scenes together...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The armies just kind of forgot that all of their soldiers died. :nallears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

galagazombie posted:

Lena Headey is the one to blame for Cersei being a bad character in the show. She was so good in the role and so god drat charismatic both in the show and real life, the character became a symbol in pop culture for being a #girlboss. The whole reveal that Cersei is a sociopathic idiot narcissist who only succeeded because her lack of a conscience made it easy for her to sabotage allies, but incompetent at actually ruling or winning, would not have gone over well with a huge segment of the viewership. It's the same reason they had to start removing all the subplots about how she doesn't care about being faithful to Jaime in the slightest. Or where in the early seasons the fact she has incest babies with her brother is treated as horrifying and a sign of her being unhinged, but then in the back half they suddenly decide that no, incest is good and Cersei is brave and noble for doing it. And all of a sudden Jaime and Cersei's relationship is treated as romantic star-crossed lovers instead of some hosed up poo poo Jaime needs to get over.

this makes so much sense until I remember that Emilia Clarke was also on the show :lol::laffo:lol:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

LionArcher posted:

I’m giving it five years before it gets the lost treatment (people realize it’s not perfect but overall it’s all pretty good and it’s drat fun to rewatch).

Lost falls apart on a rewatch, but the individual episodes are still fun and enjoyable. It's a show where stuff happens.

GoT, on the other hand, is brief moments of entertainment surrounded by anime-levels of exposition. Knowing all of that exposition is pretty much pointless means the only thing left is the world building. Unfortunately, especially by the later seasons, they just kind of forgot they did any world building.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Again, I think it is important to note that :lost: and :bsg: both had controversial/bad endings, but the individual episodes were entertaining. The seasons were also much longer, at 20+ episodes each. They each have a total runtime almost twice that of GoT and are easy to binge. And, even with the endings being a point of contention, they are still narratively satisfying and you can go "okay, the shows over and that all makes sense even if I don't like what happened."

GoT has maybe one "fun to watch" episode per season. Besides that, it's mostly just misery, which is entertaining if you're with a first timer and get to feed off of their enthusiasm. But at the end, the joke is "haha, the show was pointless and actually bad the whole time!" rather than "oops, they whiffed the ending!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

TOOT BOOT posted:

"No one talking about Game of Thrones anymore" says man posting in a thread about a show that ended 2 years ago.

:ohdear::justpost:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, if you wanna talk about a "big" show that ended without anyone talking about it, talk about The Americans, or True Blood or Sons Of Anarchy.

True Blood is actually hilarious and good. :c00lbert:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Can’t wait to find out the rest of the horrible things they did which, in the end, didn’t even serve an artistic purpose.

https://twitter.com/ithayla/status/1444123139403751426?s=21

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This is why I have no sympathy for D&D and hope everything that they try to do ever since GoT ended either keeps getting cancelled or postponed. gently caress those pricks.

:hmmyes:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Open Source Idiom posted:

Maybe things have changed, but there was no "fake" way to convincingly shoot water boarding. You either water board the actor or you do something else.

Should have done something else tho IMO.

I mean, they could have researched any number of actual, Medieval tortures from the real world, which was the kind of thing the show (the books, really) were more known for, at the start. Could have had some amazing makeup and practical effects work that might’ve snagged awards or anything else, really.

But no, gotta actually waterboard an actress for longer than a loving terrorist because it’s cheap and they hate everything.
:jerkbag:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

We couldn't have dogs in the last 3 seasons cause of the budget but we could torture an actor for a few hours.

For something different, a one hour video on Book Tyrion (obvious spoilers for the books if you care):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9HFigfkKHA

I don’t know where this “budget” thing came from, but D&D said that they just hated working with animals and that’s why the direwolves were cut during one of the after credits BTS.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Or just, ya know, don’t actually use actual torture on your actors/actresses.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It’s so funny to go back and watch the pilot for GoT and realize “absolutely none of this matters.”

I imagine this new series will be entirely based on that premise.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Also what a total disaster that was for poor Emilia Clarke and all the poo poo she had gone through. After everything else, it really feels like they ruined the character just to spite the actress.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

iamsosmrt posted:

I was always surprised by how many average liberal fans I know, even self proclaimed feminists, who tended to gloss over the gratuitous rapes and poor treatment of women in general in the show.

I think a lot of us thought that it was going to lead to something poignant on Dany’s arc and gave them the benefit of the doubt. By season 4 that goodwill was pretty much gone when it became apparent that D&D are masochists who hate their audience and employees.

Pattonesque posted:

And in similarly-named Netflix TV shows, "The Last Kingdom" is what happens when commanders on both sides of a military conflict are generally not morons, and if they do dumb things it's for explicable reasons.

Give Uhtred of Bebbanburg two dragons, artillery, the finest light cavalry and spear infantry in the world, a face-changing assassin and a whole goddamn castle and the Night King wouldn't have made it within 100m of Bran.

This is a good post. :hmmyes:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Super Deuce posted:

One thing about rape and marital rape in the show is that the universe the show depicts doesn't consider marital rape a crime and I think it's a relevant difference when watching the interaction between characters. For instance, Edmure Tully welcomed the bedding whereas Catelyn Stark tells us Ned wouldn't allow it and neither would Tyrion.

Dany while abused, those in the universe wouldn't call that rape despite our good guys knowing it to be.

I get that it's gross but it's effective in showing the social dynamism. It's important to know that despite Ramsay being heinous the rest of the world still accepts what he's doing as lawful.

Just when we see the sex crimes in the show it's important to know that they specifically differentiate these real life crimes. In a better show it could be legitimate commentary but as it was shown... it wasn't.

1) the modern ideas about medieval marriage and romance are almost entirely invented.
2) the show exists in a fictional universe and these acts serve only to shock the audience.
3) even if you accept that rape was much more prevalent in medieval times, this ignores that it was also considered a serious personal affront to the male family members. In the GoT tv show: the male family members essentially ignore when a family member is raped and sometimes take up the producers sentiment of “oh that’s just what happens” which is an absolutely insane position for a supposedly honor-obsessed society.

Like, the idea that Dany’s brother wouldn’t care about her mistreatment by others for the simple provocation of it being an affront to his person is just bizarre.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Pattonesque posted:

He would have sent Finan or Sihtric out scouting a week beforehand, they would have had a detailed overview of the army of the dead's numbers and composition, there would have been overlapping trenches funneling everyone toward the gate, the Dothraki (imagine giving Uhtred horse archers!) would have been playing headhunter with dragonglass arrow, the catapults would have been firing nonstop from inside the walls from minute one, Uhtred probably would have killed a red priest, etc.

I mean, this was supposed to be Tyrion on some level but [insert footage of Dinklage saying he thought Tyrion was smart but I guess not that smart].

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Sky Shadowing posted:

I mean Arya kills two men, bakes them into a pie, tricks their dad into eating it, then achieves orgasm when slitting his throat, shortly before committing mass-murder of his entire family.

But Dany wasn't sad once when her abusive brother was killed after threatening to murder both her and her unborn child which CLEARLY is more of a RED FLAG.

Honestly, it’s insane the poo poo that they said and HBO just aired for those After Credits BTS clips. The insight into their complete apathy and borderline hatred of the show, it’s audience, and their cast and crew is just wild. Presenting the entire vignette like any of it let them be seen in a positive light is just :psyduck:.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
“Dany just kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet.”
:crossarms:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, "what would be interesting about that" is kind of like asking "what's interesting about Arya being Tywin's wine servant" but that was honestly some of the best scenes in the entire series AND original material to the show.

I just wish they had put that kind of effort into everything after the Red Wedding. From early interviews, it seems like they never thought they'd even make it to the Red Wedding; and making it to that story beat was their big hope for the show (which is really a glimpse into their whole filmmaking id). I think they figured they would get cancelled either before or immediately after.

When the show became increasingly successful, they were the dog that caught the car and just didn't know what to do, and seemingly resented the success because it kept them from moving onto their real passion project: white supremacist fanfic.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Xealot posted:

I wasn't being a dick, I was genuinely curious what they found interesting about that idea. For lore reasons I missed, or something.

Fair. I just have rose-colored glasses from the early seasons, where even original moments like the Cersei and Robert conversation ("I don't even remember what she looked like") were excellent. Extremely good bits of acting. But you're right, the later seasons completely threw out all that nuance, so whatever that conversation looked like would still probably have been garbage.

Though, I think the last "good" conversation scene was Olenna's last scene in S7, so there were occasional gems later on.

Sorry, wasn’t trying to imply you were being dickish or come off as hostile. It’s just wild how far the quality in this show slipped and how obvious, to me, that D&D’s apathy is behind a lot of the decline.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, it sucks because you can see how the ending they went with would make some kind of narrative sense if Jon Connington was there, refusing to ring the bells in surrender.

Too bad they left that whole plot line out so Sansa could be raped a few more times because reasons.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Drunk in Space posted:

Was this ever actually confirmed to be true, though? I mean, I want it to be true because gently caress those dipshits, and obviously the timing of it seemed like more than just coincidence, but AFAIK the official story was that they signed a more lucrative deal with Netflix, and simply didn't have enough hours in the day for SW as well. Maybe that's just PR bullshit, but then again, is your average Disney exec really going to give a poo poo that some whiny nerds are upset about Daenerys or whatever, when the simple fact is that the show continued to pull in massive numbers of viewers right to the very end, and made a shitload of money? I know the whole S8 backlash seemed like a big drama thing at the time, but I kind of feel like it was probably just a tiny blip on the radar for hopelessly-up-their-own-asses Hollywood types and their corporate masters.

But I do want to believe . . .

The thing that you have to understand about Disney is that they care about only one thing: optics. The Brand is the only thing that matters to them: they are completely apolitical and pragmatic.

Whatever boosts The Brand gets more. Whatever tarnishes The Brand is immediately excised. Saying they had a ~conscious uncoupling~ is easier to sweep under the rug, so that's what they did. No drama, just done.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's funny they cut all this stuff when not only did very little happen in the latter seasons but they cut down the episode count. Oh also HBO would've let them adapt the entire story. How many showrunners or directors would kill for that chance.

Yes. HBO wanted to give them two more 13-episode seasons with a full budget but D&D insisted on half seasons for the final two.

And while that is not only lovely for us, who wanted more high quality content, they also basically imploded a gigantic employer, ending thousands of regular, steady job so that they could gently caress off to their Confederate fanfic bullshit.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Because they didn't have to write any of it themselves? :nallears:

They had a super talented writers room at one point and could have relied on a collaboration of minds to come up with a satisfying solution, but in the end they thought it was more important to trick :reddit: than come up with something interesting.

Didn't they admit, more than once, to changing story decisions because they read some random post where someone had figured it out and decided their story had to be ~completely unpredictable~?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

bobjr posted:

It is pretty funny how each year Martin says he’s had his best year writing Winds of Winter, when it’s been a decade and people reasonably thought it would have come out around season 3-4 of the show.

When will the book be done? When the sun rises in the west. When the mountains crumble to dust. When the Jets win a Super Bowl...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe, I don’t know. And how do we know they ever had a talented room of writers?

:shrug:
Someone wrote all that dialogue in the early seasons.