Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RabidWeasel posted:

And all this poo poo together means that for the first loving time ever in history :siren: a Paradox game actually has an organic reason to not conquer everything you can loving see. :siren:

I’m glad they finally managed this... but it’s pretty funny that they’ve pulled it together in the Rome game of all things. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I'm trash so that game and every DLC that ever comes for it is probably already bought, to resist is useless.

The map looks beautiful and it's a ripe time period, but the thing I heard that has me a bit excited is a Vic 2 inspired population system.

Well dial that excitement down because it really doesn't. It's got an EU:R inspired population system. POPs here don't change or move or consume or really do anything on their own here except grow.

Really it's closer to a form of EU4's development that you can kill or steal.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Koramei posted:

It's more than just dynamic development, I think allowing a finer level of granularity for religion/culture is pretty meaningful.

It also leaves it way more open to being expanded on in the future.

It does, but does that even mean anything when you can radically transform the cultural/religious/socioeconomic makeup of a province in the space of a day?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The day I looked up Phrygia on Wikipedia and saw /ˈfrɪdʒiə/ up there is the day the little grammar patrician in my heart died, because ew, really?

...though I see now they also suggest an classical Greek [pʰryɡía]. Marginally more acceptable.

e: speaking of native English speakers and a determined refusal to engage with a string of phonograms as phonograms, I’ve seen some people who are just completely befuddled by my current username.

It’s, like, four consonant/vowel pairs terminated by a nasal, what the gently caress are you playing at?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 23, 2019

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

sudo rm -rf posted:

some quick work on germanic tribe names that i'll probably put in a mod:

I usually dislike these mods but I'm totally up for this one.

Now do the province names :suicide:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I'd play this mod too.

sudo rm -rf posted:

maybe, that will need to wait until the game comes out though

That was a joke. Please do not waste your life renaming the provinces (alright, cities, if we must), there are seven thousand of the little bastards.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So far the game seems like a straightforward map painting exercise with classical trappings. I doubt it’ll keep my attention for more than a handful of games, but it’s also exactly what I was expecting, so I wouldn’t quite call myself disappointed. More like confirmed in my cynicism, I guess?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Archaeology Hat posted:

Is this game Stellaris on launch where there's a core here but it's going to take some pretty serious overhauls to make it into something that's actually fun long term or is it CK2 on launch where there's a playable solid core here but there's a ton of room to add to it in a sensible way but also a few notable gaps?

On a Stellaris—EUIV—CK2–HOI4 spectrum I’d say it falls somewhere between Stellaris and EUIV. Nowhere close to the ludicrous amount of poo poo HOI had going on at launch.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

TTBF posted:

Wait, HoI4 is on the upper end of the spectrum? I definitely remember launch CK2 and EU4 feeling like complete games, which is not an experience I had with HoI4 or Stellaris.

In my mind? Definitely. HOI4 has a bunch of big, complex, interrelated systems with lots of moving parts- tech, military management, force composition, and above all else production. Managing your production lines is this entire discipline. Which is to say nothing of the static content in the form of events and focus trees.

Just in terms of sheer "things in motions" count I'd put it up near Vicky.

EUIV is quite tame by comparison, it's nowhere close to that "riding a big complicated machine that could slide off the rails at any moment" feel.

I have a lot more time in EUIV/Stellaris, but HOI4 is a lot more... satiating.

Lucas Archer posted:

It seems like that should be different for different areas, right? Like, for the Greeks, the heavy infantry should be the main battle line, right? I'm not that versed in ancient combat, but I was under the impression that the vast majority of armies were made up of archers and light infantry in this time period, with the Greek hoplite being kind of the outlier.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about that, in which case cover me in honey and throw me in the boat.

I think some of the confusion here is that your first line isn't, actually, the main battle line. That's the second. This dev diary may prove enlightening: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/development-diary-10th-of-december.1136021/

In any case, archers are kind of hilariously effective as a main combat troop- they gently caress up light infantry in particular, which you'll be seeing a lot of, and aren't particularly disadvantages against heavies. They're only really vulnerable to cavalry, and horses are pretty rare.

Magissima posted:

Personally I'm surprised there aren't formables for North Germanic unification and Germanic Britannia. More formables would be a good stopgap step to giving the player more concrete goals imo

That's like five hundred years out of period. You might as well throw in a formable for the Rashidun Caliphate

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Taear posted:

How the gently caress do you use the raise levies ability? Seriously, where is it? It comes from a Barbarian Military Tradition and I've been two countries with it now but have no clue how to use it.

Select an army, it's one of the military abilities. Gives you one cohort of light infantry or light cav for every city in the province, in exchange for an unrest penalty there and some mana.

e: it's next to the disband button, which itself took me far too long to find last night.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Zurakara posted:

So I'm about to start a LP for this game and since audience participation is a tradition in EU:Rome lp's I was wondering if anyone had any preferences for a country to play as. My initial thought is Heraclea Pontica, but if my fellow goons have any bright ideas I'll roll with it.

The first LP has to be republican Crete. Goons will never forgive you anything else.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

This is insanely petty and minor but I wish all the cool top level formables/major tags got cool, bright, fully saturated colours. It feels a bit poo poo to do all the work of forming Albion and my reward and is, welp, now my map colour is within a hair of uncolonised land. Visually, I levelled up and my country ceased to exist.

Anyway, I modded it to be even-more-intense Pretty Pritani Pink

This is some cool-rear end poo poo bte: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/tool-cwtools-a-mod-scripting-and-validating-extension-for-vs-code.1170537/

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

fuf posted:

"Two cities sharing a sea zone count as adjacent for the purpose of colonization"

Why can't I colonize Ireland from the south-west tip of England (Devetiasteno)?

They don’t share a sea zone.

Only Ayr or Argyll are close enough on the British mainland. Conquering the Hibernian minor and going from there is probably the fastest way.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

:toot: :black101:

Rome, alas, is already a shell of its former glory, annexed to the resurgent Etruscan empire, but this was pretty fun. Placentia has like 50 slaves in it now and I suspect it's going to be the second richest city in the empire after this war.

Sheep posted:

If you don't need the manpower from freemen then it doesn't hurt to just leave them as-is.

You are always going to want manpower. Even if your pool is ten times the size of everyone else's it takes so long to recover I can't imagine ever not wanting more.

Sydin posted:

So as far as I can tell there's no map filter option to see city wealth? Is there any way to tell what cities are making the most profit without manually clicking through all of them?

Go to the income screen and mouse over tax/trade income, it'll give you a list of the highest earners.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Walh Hara posted:

I'm not sure I agree. It's historically accurate that you can conquer tons of land in one war, it's holding on to it afterwards that's was historically always the problem.

I feel like, even though it's just out of scope, the game should be able to handle Alexander's conquests.

That would be my design target: make that work. Which I think means conquest should be even easier?

Blobs are definitely far too stable, though. The Maurya in particular are absurdly resilient, which I think is a consequence of culture penalties being almost the only serious source of interior frictions and their culture group covering the entirety of northern India.

e:

reignonyourparade posted:

My working theory was nobody could tell what wasn't on the list for inclusion because Johan had decided that actually it'd be better without it vs Johan just straight up forgot about it.

They made a lot, prerelease, about there being a major overhaul of their core engine tech in this game, which I think may be a factor- if their codebase has changed sufficiently that a lot of this stuff had to be rebuilt from scratch then it's no wonder that we're missing most of the QoL features we've become accustomed to.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You say "make that work," but it's not like Alexander's conquests actually worked in real life, either. His empire almost immediately fell apart. So it should work how? In that it's technically possible to do, but is a tremendously bad idea that is doomed to end in a game over? But then... why?

"Make it work" purely in the the sense of "yeah you can take all that land at once". The peace system is not set up for that, at current.

I'd rather see soft limits on the scale of conquest via economic and logistic constraints and a more complications in consolidating and administrating these massive empires than the hard limits of the warscore system, is what I'm saying.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

On a side note, the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack makes a great accompaniment for this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xUI8SwcAzA

Or anything really, it's a great soundtrack, but especially this game.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Went looking for where the map modes are defined so I could unfuck the population and civilisation map modes. Figured they would be building off of what Stellaris did to open them up to modding.

Well, they are moddable, kind of. :negative:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Taear posted:

And seriously do you guys just not play tribes? You never get to build any of your own troops when you are a tribe!

Uh... you can absolutely raise your own armies as a tribe. You can't alter the force composition of your retinues, true, but there's nothing stopping from raising regular forces too.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Manpower growth is supposed to be 25 years to full, instead of the 10 of EU4. Why is beyond me (possibly because it grows much faster than in EU4) but its not bugged.

25 years is a generation, basically, so that makes sense to me.

It does mean that you have to take a much longer-term view of your manpower budget than you would in EU. Less "this is what I have you the next war" and more "this is what I have for the next three wars". It also punishes you for dragging out wars for years trying to get every last province rather than taking the win and getting out quick. Both of which I think are net improvements to the formula.

The one problem I see is that, because of the 1,000 man cohort size, the system doesn't scale well at the lower end- rather than simply fighting wars with smaller armies, you fight wars with the same size armies and have to wait longer in between.

Cohort size is in defines, btw, so that could be changed. In a mod, even.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

TorakFade posted:

It seemed to always do it for me? On the war declaration screen, there'll be the allies, and if an ally has an helmet next to the name it means it might bring his own allies and you can hover on the helmet to see who is likely to join (as far as I can tell that only happens when said ally will become warleader), plus in the final confirmation popup before the actual war it will tell you who becomes the warleader

It's good that it's in there, but it really should be out in the list proper and not hidden in a tooltip.

Might also be nice to have a little icon in there relating the exact nature of the relationship that an ally is getting called in on. Defensive league, ally, guarantee, vassal etc.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Sometimes the troop counts are just real funny. Like as Rome I went after one of the tiny, 2-city powers inside the boot. They had 38 cohorts, and they had had that amount raised forever. They had almost no morale though. I'm guessing the AI just sometimes sees "army costing too much, need to reduce", and instead of sensibly disbanding some troops, it just puts it's giant unsustainable stack on low maintenance so their morale tanks and they aren't effective anyway. As for the manpower, I don't know how much two little cities should have but it seems like a lot. May just be standard AI cheats though.

I just fought a war against a tribal kingdom in Lusitania who had 450,000 mean under arms, before mercs. Fortunately I had brought a hundred thousand screaming Scythian murderfuckers along with my own chariot hordes and so it only took three years to conquer them. I had multiple 200k-to-a-side engagements, including one notable one which apparently involved a hundred thousand charioteers. Khadesh eat your heart out.

I’m thinking pop growth needs to chill the gently caress out.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Beamed posted:

I would agree but on the other hand this sounds like it owned?

Shuffling stacks back and forth, switching between forced march and reorganisation, was pretty fun for what it was, especially in a stage of a game where I've been conquering mostly on autopilot, but it would have been just have fun if everything was an order of magnitude.

The huge army numbers don't really add anything for me except for, I guess, humour value.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Sheep posted:

It was much more a concept of court is where the king is rather than just being in any static place. This becomes very evident during the Roman Empire period when a bunch only visited Rome once or twice or not at all. In other times the de facto capital was in Trier or Milan in the western empire.

Rome was really just the cultural capital until the decline period and, especially once the senate was pushed aside, not really very important. Didn't the last "emperor" in the West die in Ravenna or something?

Okay so, this is all true, bit it's all true of the Roman Empire. And the Dominate more than the Principate, I think. This is all centuries after the end of the game. This game is about the Republic, and in the republican period, even the late republic, Rome was a city state with an empire attached more than it was the capital of an empire. Hell, other cities in Italy weren't considered fully Roman until the Social War.

Obviously things are going to be more fluid for the other major powers, and completely so for the tribal societies, but capital shifting makes a lot less sense for some states than others.

TorakFade posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that 90% of the time there is absolutely no point in sieging every last city, except those in the wargoal province to get the warscore? For the rest get the forts, get the capital and you can ask for the whole province. This usually amount to 2-3 sieges per province (AI tends to build 1-2 forts per province maximum, sometimes even none) which isn't that bad

Slaves. Hundreds and hundreds of slaves. Carpet sieging is the root of all wealth.

(Though the way this works you get disproportionately more from high pop cities than low pop cities. Still, if you want to you can automate the carpet sieging.)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ilitarist posted:

Only some of mechanics like stability and it still doesn't change the perceived problem that you can solve any problem with throwing a lot of MP at it. People seem to be angriest about instant conversion and claims.

That the community latched on to the term "mana" to denote these more abstract currencies is telling, I think. It suggests that in the players' minds these things are magical or unreal, and the actions they enable are not attatched to any sort of identifiable real-world process. Not that you can't (usually) synthesise a narrative to ground these things, but it seems these mechanics are not naturally creating those narratives in the minds of players. They are narratively null, and thus unsatisfying.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean 'mana' in Te Reo Māori denotes someone's spiritual presence or charismatic authority. Seems like a pretty grounded term for what it's meant to represent? :shrug:

Uh. Huuuuh?

Okay, so, maybe you're being disingenuous or whatever but I'm going to assume I'm just communicating poorly. To clarify: in my mind, when Johnny Gameliker uses the word "mana", what he is probably imagining is the something along the lines of MP in a Final Fantasy game; an abstract videogame currency representing a mystical energy spent to invoke magic spells. There's an outside possibility that the first guy to use the word had the original Polynesian definition in mind when he used it, and I'm sure others have been tickled by its ironic appropriateness before, but I am absolutely certain that that is not what 99% of people mean when they use it to refer to monarch points in Paradox games.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont know, I love EU4 but it was always weird to me that mostly everything that you can do in your nation, from advancing technology to developing provinces, is powered by an energy which the main source is your ruler rear end, like nothing else mattered

Maybe gold is even more unrealistic, as you said, but at least it accounts for the nation economy. In EU4 often feels like the ruler is a literal wizard, as everything depends on his power

This is a perfect example of the mindset I'm talking about

e:

creamcorn posted:

Not only did Etruria survive and almost entirely defeat the Romans, it has now budded a second Etruria. I haven't really interfered with anything above the heel either (as syrakusai), this is all just the AI.

Happened in my game too- and I love it. By the last century Rome was down to 13 pops.

Eat poo poo, Romans :toot:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Senor Dog posted:

People call everything DLC now even if you want to call it some fuddy duddy name like “expansion”. You’re being a dumb rear end in a top hat over semantics

Nah, he's talking about quantity. Expansion or DLC, whatever term you want to use, pre-CK2 a Paradox game would get one, maybe two and about three patches per XP/DLC. EU3's count of four was exceptional (and those DLC were pretty drat slender, truth be told).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Edit: Wait, I'm dumb. You can threaten war. They probably did this, and the other country, trampled and weakened, agreed.

Threaten war is only for one city, unless I'm using it wrong?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

The conversion thing works poorly from a historical realism perspctive but it's pretty nice for gameplay so I'm not exactly clamouring for a rework even though the end result is really dumb

:psyduck:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Beamed posted:

Also not tested: Loading save games for multiplayer, I guess?

Actual session was p fun though

(Players are

Biturgia (me)
Macedon (Beamed)
Lysimachids (Astroclassicist)
Massalia
Rome
Qart-Hadast
Ptolemaics
Crete
Armenia
Seleucids
Bactria
...and Bastarnia, a German tribe who have migrated to the Libyan desert... for reasons?)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Flavius Aetass posted:

what does any of this mean

Friend Beamed is referring to fact that the game's player count has fallen to the 1.2k-3k level, from a 29k peak at launch.

It's hard to know what to make of that, really, without knowing what a Paradox game's typical performance is in the first month. I checked steamcharts but it looks like they don't keep finely grained datasets going back more than three months. It does seem to be a much sharper dropoff than Stellaris or HOI4 had (or EU4, but that's a much older datapoint).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Well, RoN has an expansion.

At this point though I’ve already bought it three times and the only way I’m laying out money for a fourth is if it comes with a “2” at the end of the name.

...someone get on that oh my god

e: it’s been sixteen years :psyduck:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

The new population cap system is interesting, the way it's set up is that you get both flat population modifiers and percentage ones.

There's quite a few large percentage modifiers based on terrain such as presence of major / minor rivers (50% and 25% respectively), being coastal (10%, or 25% if also a port), being in a warm climate (50%) etc.

There's also other bonuses including 2% for each road or trade route present in the province, 50% for capitals, 25% for province capitals, 10% for grain in province and 5% for surplus grain.

In practical terms any province with >100% total from bonuses should be able to become arbitrarily large provided you build enough granaries (which now give +5 population each)

I think Seleucia Major is the province with the highest cap at game start, at 120.

In the "warm climate" region basically any half decent capital city is going to end up being huge I guess.

Do the percentage modifiers stack additively or multiplicatively?

I’m guessing additively, given how large some of these are, especially the repeatables.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So, as far as I can tell, playing as a Celt, the primary consequence of the omen revamp is that all the omens I want to use have been removed and replaced with omens I don’t want to use.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

Will this mean that the map is no longer fully hellenized in like 100 years?

I've been playing games on the beta patch and, unless they're tweaking it going forward, the Hellenisation is actually faster and more total, because it's always on now rather than only happening when the AI governor selects the assimilation policy at random.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fuligin posted:

this has been the opposite of my experience

I'm talking about culture... which has been going much faster in my game than religion:

(Persia doesn't look so bad, but that's because the Seleukids exploded almost immediately:)

Magissima posted:

I think the specific change they're talking about in that diary only hit the beta branch in the last couple days, right?

Nah, continuous-assimilation has been in the 1.2 beta for... a month? More? What has just been added is that settlement/city/metropolis split they were talking about and the province food thing... which has royally hosed this save, lol.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Sometimes I feel like giving this game another chance and then I remember that half the map is megablobs and the other half is a tribal crab bucket and I just sort of sigh and go back to what I was doing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Drone posted:

Is there a button somewhere I'm missing that raises centralization in exchange for PP when playing tribal, or does centralization only raise by random event effects?

Laws. Your main source of centralisation is laws.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

You can found a city in your capital and use the, uh, the civilisation-boosting thing. It's on the left hand side of the province view, looks like a marble block and a pillar iirc.

Expensive as all get-out, though.

A city'll fix your citizen problem too, I think- that's where citizens like to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

TorakFade posted:

It seems to me that it's a sort of "balance" for those nations and that it is meant to be significantly more difficult and frustrating to play Republics, because if Rome was a monarchy and did not have to constantly wrestle with the Senate for every small decision, it'd just steamroll everything once southern Italy is conquered (which would be almost instantaneous rather than the current "oh poo poo I'm new and unpopular and all the families are scorned because there's not enough jobs to go around, gotta befriend at least a couple party leaders before being able to declare war on my tiny defensless neighbours or eat a lot of tyranny" thing Rome has).

...the quote is that republics are boring, not that they’re more difficult.

Though, to be fair, I’ve not felt that monarchies or tribes are any more interesting.