Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
This is probably my favourite game all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

haveblue posted:

What is the "easy" way to get to the Sun Station? I only ever flew there because the teleporter on Ash Twin looked like it was clogged with cactus and inaccessible.

The teleporter. You can either get to it early before the sand drains and walk over the cacti or just get good at platforming.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dinosaurs! posted:

I didn’t know this existed until I saw people confusing it for Outer Worlds and it looks like the chill puzzle game I’ve been wanting for a while. This worth getting now or is it really short and better off waiting for a holiday sale?

Short of any last minute surprises, it's my GOTY. Absolutely get it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Flac posted:

2) i thought the third statue was activated by solanum, but apparently not? does it exist just compute the trajectories of the probe throughout time, and isnt connected to any person?

Correct. Solanum can't be the third statue, because he's dead.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I've put a good amount of hours into this game so far. I like it, but I'm getting overwhelmed by the fact that I've seen a large amount of random things, but nothing is really "clicking" or coming together yet. I've seen a lot of like, random pieces of machinery that I bet I'll have to remember what they do and how to use them and use them all in a certain order, and it's daunting because I haven't even found the through-line through which these things are supposed to connect. There's only so much "going down to a random planet in hopes I find something new" I can do, even if the ship log points you in certain directions.

Here's a question: I found the anglerfish skeleton that supposedly can give you a hint on how to get past them in the dark bramble. The shop log says that only my scout can get into that cave, but I also read a nomai log that said children were found in there. So does that mean there is a secret entrance into there, or does that mean the children were as small as my scout and so there's no larger way in? And ALSO, is the hint that the fish can't see if you if you don't move? Because I've gotten pretty far in there by just drifting down, thought eventually I HAVE to move a little and then I get eaten.

If your computer's log says there's more to do at a location there is. If it didn't say that, you don't need to return. The game is about collecting information.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 24, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Holy poo poo

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Nothing you need to do in the endgame gauntlet is hard, except resisting the temptation to hit your thrusters

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

it’s not that the task is hard. It’s that the task is tedious and having to spend 5 minutes standing around on ash twin doing nothing every time you start an attempt is just... awful.

You don't. You can fastforward time at campfires.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
There's a way to keep the anglerfish from trying to eat you.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I know you need to go really slowly because they're blind but can hear your thrusters. My issue there was that I was basically running into the anglerfish as soon as I got into that seed, and I couldn't turn away because doing so meant using thrust and at that close distance even using a little would get their attention.

It's not "go really slow" it's "don't use thrusters at all". When you enter the red room with the egg sac, put your controller down and do not touch the analog sticks until you are at the egg sac. After that course correct to the vessel.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Dark Bramble is very clearly not a vacuum, being filled with that dense fog and all.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The shortcut is also much easier to find from the city direction, imo.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
gently caress you are in for such a rollercoaster.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You're going to feel dumb when you read this one: it's not the scout that matters, it's the picture

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zack Ater posted:

Game good.

Hell yeah

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Yes. It's a comet. Comets orbit.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Ah I guess I thought it had more significance than that...am I crazy or doesn't it crash into the sun at some point? I guess that may be related to the sun dying?

The sun crashes into it. The sun is exploding because the universe got too old.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I just beat it again and im crying again wtf even is this game

It's very good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Yes, yes, yes, after.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

Not a huge surprise at this point, but Outer Wilds picked up Best Game at the Baftas. Also Best Game Design and Best Original Property.

Well deserved

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Thank you. I love this kind of quirky, unusual game.

Sure. I like to share.

I love the game’s atmosphere. Finding my comrades chilling on the planets is a great experience. I think the game does a very good job with scale. You can get from body to body easily, and the planets are small enough to explore the surface without feeling overwhelmed, but they are plenty big once you start getting under the surface and/or into buildings.

I actually think the main loop mechanic is kind of boring and redundant. All it seems to do is interrupt me when I’m in the middle of something, and make me waste my time running back to my ship and head back to wherever I was when it happened. I feel like there are plenty of hazards out there without the loop mechanic. Maybe it comes into play and becomes more important at some point, but so far it doesn’t feel very purposeful.

I’m a little bit lost at the moment. I’ve spent a lot of time inside the Ember Twin. I’ve found a lot of clues, but I can’t seem to complete the things the clues hint at. Today, I’m going to make a concerted effort to get at some of the things that are supposed to be on the twins. I feel like getting the guy with the harmonica is kind of key, but I tried flying to him, and I’ll bet you can guess what happened.

It’s a good game.

The quest log in your space ship is a really really good way of getting ideas on where to go and what to do

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Oh, no. I wish you hadn’t said that. I tried to get to the sun station by flying there, and it went so poorly that I kind of doubted that was even the way to go about it. Now, I guess I know.

There's a better way.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I legitimately don't think there's any game quite like Outer Wilds. It's very much at the bleeding edge of its particular genre. If you want more, you should check out the games that it is the ideological heir to, Myst, Riven, The Witness, etc.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

This game is releasing soon on Steam. I've completely avoided all spoilers and media so I'm really looking forward to it :)

You're in for such a treat.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

First time I got the codes, I launched for the first time and the first thing I found was a wormhole that spit me out 30km from my ship. I wasn’t going to take the time to jet pack that distance so I quit out of the menu. None of my progress was saved when I loaded it back up since I didn’t die, so I had to go get the codes again.

drat dude. You should have explored the space station it spit you out in front of, lol.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm also 4 loops in. While I wouldn't call it chill, I wouldn't say there's nothing chill about it. The starting location is very chill. Bouncing around on the planets is pretty chill. Dying is not that unchill, tbh. I did die to the big angler fish on the Dark Bramble. Is that the jump scare everybody talks about? I really haven't found the game to be stressful at all yet, so it leans closer to chill than not to me.

Yes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

I use the landing camera but I just let the ship fall where it’s going. I thought it was automated.

Nope.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It saves, at a minimum, once every twenty two minutes.

e: Also, how on earth did you get soft-locked during the tutorial?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Tragic. Good news is all the mini-tutorials along the way you can just run past. You only need to visit the museum.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Endgame spoiler: Fortunately, it doesn't.

If you die or run out of time during the "final" run, even after grabbing the core, the loop just repeats as normal.

That's not true. You get a screen that says "game over" and you get kicked to the main menu. You can keep going from the start of the loop though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

So, uh, regarding the other game in the title of this thread: has anyone here played it? I just came across it in the Playstation store, and boy howdy does it look good.

I figure if the people who like Outer Wilds also like Outer Worlds, it is probably worth checking out.

It's fallout but bad

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is there a way to ever be immune to ghost matter? Like is it always going to kill me and it's just a way to tell me don't go this way?

It's always going to kill you. Sometimes you can platform past it. Other times you'll need to find another way around it.

The scout camera has quite a few uses: one that is gone over in the tutorial is that it lets you see where, exactly, ghost matter is. There's a couple other uses for it, but those tend to be solutions to puzzles.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Also, if you fall into the black hole, it spits you out in front of an interesting place to explore.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I can never keep track of the terms for 3d movement, but is that yaw thing what it is when you like, try to manipulate something in 0 g, like the Vessel computer/puzzle if you go there before getting the power core to turn on gravity? you end up sliding hopelessly around while trying to move the little orb while wanting to :float" in place.

Yaw is just rotation around one of the three axes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

I'm not talking about going down the counter clockwise one. I read that you fly into the eye of the hurricane from space to access quantum trials that teach you how to land on the quantum moon

My thought process was "drat, I wanna know what's inside this big rear end storm. I'll go in, from space".

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

If you have the signal scope up and press R/L on the dpad it'll change between picking up different types of signals. The only two channels I can remember is "signals from members of the Outer Wilds" and "signals from weird quantum bullshit" but I think there's a third.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The only times times matter are "get there early" and if you don't get early you can just fly into the sun or whatever.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

what was the change to 9,000,000 launches supposed to insinuate? I beat this game a while ago so my memory might be a bit fuzzy but it was pretty clear to me at the time what was happening.

The loop has happened 9,000,000 times before it found the eye of the universe and you became aware you were trapped in the loop.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

None of the other Hearthians besides Gabbro experience any loops, because they haven't been picked up by the Nomai statues.

They do, they just don't remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Memories are literally all that gets looped

It still happens.