Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

YeahTubaMike posted:

I watched every single episode of Allen Gregory when it was on...I don't know if Velma is bad enough for that kind of hate-watching (yet?) but I'm probably still going to keep my eye on it, at least through this thread.

Sorry to bring this all the way back but holy poo poo I couldn't make it through that many episodes of Allen Gregory, how did you do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

There's a difference between a show having mean characters and the show's voice itself being mean.

When it feels like the worldview of that show's universe is inherently a mean-spirited place where being awful is actually a good thing, and the shittiest person is always correct about their assumptions, it doesn't end up being fun to watch.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

TTGo also knows how to make meta-humor funny as opposed to "doesn't it suck when shows do this thing we're doing?" over and over and over and over.

From what I've seen of it, Velma's characterization is a carbon-copy Daria without the wit or morality that actually made her lines land with any impact.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It's American Dad for kids. It rules.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I liked learning about showbags from koala man. I'm generally a fan of watching these types of comedies to learn about random small bits of culture like that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The newest episode of Harley Quinn is quite good, but also amazingly horny in ways I couldn't imagine animated on American TV.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think they went with Allen Gregory just because Jonah Hill was having a moment, because holy poo poo that was one of the most hateful and terrible shows i've seen.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ballmasterz was an old-school anime parody without really looking much like an anime, so I think the new animation is to try and get those aspects to align more so the satire makes more sense.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Fox is apparently super hot on Dan Harmon's new show, Krapopolis as they've already ordered 3 seasons before it has aired. Not a good sign is that it has NFT related tie ins.
The NFT aspect is extremely disappointing, but I think it's also that Fox really really needs to have their own stuff because Disney now owns all of what they used to have. It's also why they gave a development deal to the Great North's creators.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

I felt the same way about Persona 5 where the overt theme is Society is broken and the adults are cruel monsters. But even though the Phantom Thieves actually have the power to change things every single one of the lessons is basically stay in your lane, its individuals not the system that's bad.
It's honestly not that different a message in 4, but luckily that one wasn't selling itself as a picaresque commentary on contemporary society.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Have y'all made a separate thread for that show?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I wish I could like those shows, but my personal run-ins with the creator back when she was a student left some sour taste and I never really looked back. It was the same for Owl House, and Kirbopher, etc.

I mean, I hope that they're not the way I encountered them back then, but that's just how human memory and emotion works.

Onto another subject entirely – anyone else check out Pobre diablo aka Poor Demon on HBO Max?
The animation is pretty choppy, but there's potential in there.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 12, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Well Kirbopher is a huge creep and serial abuser
Yeah, it was really irritating watching his career until it -finally- imploded because of it.
He was a creep as a student, also extremely lazy about improving on anything. Sometimes he faked compositing assignments in Flash instead of After Effects because he flat-out refused to learn.

Viv never learned how to properly inbetween or plan keys.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 12, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am curious to ask what you thought of her, as much as i like her work, i wouldnt be fully shocked if she was kinda of shithead in college or whatever, to me she strikes me as every other artistic girl i knew in high school(and honestly a couple artists i commisoned from). mostly nice but also super hair trigger about various stuff and will turn on you hard if bad poo poo happens. but again. i met her for like 2 min and she seemed nice enough so gently caress if i know.

I probably feel weirdly 'defensive" about her because everytime twitter types try to burn her, its over dumb poo poo she did as a teenager or some are she made at 20 or some stupid poo poo. it reminds me of the lindsey elis horror show where she got dragged on twitter for dumb poo poo she "did" until she left and never did videos again.

She was like a few of the others around that time who had large existing fandoms on DeviantArt, and could kind of coast by on that without really picking up that much from instructors or feeling much need to challenge themselves artistically or sometimes even technically. I think I remember they had an Adobe sponsorship, or some kind of ad that she was featured in during her time at the school, but at this point that might have been after since my memory of that is hazier than the others. With her specifically my interactions were less interpersonal so there's no "she was a huge dick" like some others; it was mostly looking at the progress of her work and assignments over time, despite not being an instructor. (I would often be working on my own things in the classroom that had the light tables while classes in other years would go on in the background, and since the teachers knew from experiences with me in their other classes that I could give specific, actionable critique with possible reference on the fly, they'd sometimes ask me to comment when the students in their classes were dead silent or could only articulate "i liked it" out of social pressure, so I ended up seeing a lot of work from lots of students in the years before and after me, etc.)

Viv's storytelling and aesthetic were never really my thing so I can't really be objective there other than that her designs were often visually busy in ways that wouldn't animate easily or read particularly well in motion, and her inbetweening & keyframe planning have never really been her strong suit, resulting in a herky-jerky yet blobbly animation that struggled to keep the characters features from growing and shrinking from one key to the next because she never went back to check her keys for consistency within the shot, or didn't plan out the motion arcs so a body feature or limb would just randomly flip position midway through in a distracting way that was clearly a "oops I forgot to think about that in the arc" way, etc. and that never seemed to improve or change.

At the very least she -WASN'T- the one who, when asking a teacher for a rec letter, told said teacher that they weren't going to be like the other students who would go into the industry for a little bit, fail, and then have to become a teacher. That person was extremely skilled and challenged themselves but had the worst drat attitude.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Warbird posted:

This is all very interesting, but I’m also a messy bitch by default so I’m anything but impartial. What’s your gig OP? Art college professor?

My particular skill was layout, though my drafting/analytical skills also made me a good revisionist for things like re-animating characters' hand animation when the outsourced stuff came back too crappy for example.

I worked in the industry for a little bit but had to head back to my hometown after a few family tragedy things happened and I had to help handle those affairs which are basically still ongoing years later. I don't feel like rejoining it in its current shape, though, either.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I tend to not plumb the depths of fandoms for things i'm not into or interested in and that saves me so much more headspace for weed or flowers or literally anything else, so I can only imagine how deranged a fandom for scene-kid style characters can get.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think it might just be as simple as an audience with heightened expectations because of a sheer dearth of choices otherwise; people don't have expectations of Family Guy or South Park to be culturally sensitive or even aware of the poo poo they're doing because that's how low the bar is for mainstream content, it's the assumed default – the given – that the audience is emotionally-underdeveloped straight white guys. An audience that has been otherwise left out of the pop-cultural buffet are much more keenly aware and also the most on guard, especially because there is so few other choices being offered to them. They're bound to become overly-precious and demanding if this is what they think is their only shot at getting something they would like to see get made, so the show becomes elevated to a symbol beyond being a show. From there it becomes a weird existential fight about whether the show is the right image to put forward to the public because they know it has to sell in the marketplace to get more made, etc.

tl;dr it's a self-feedback look about worrying about being the -best- possible image for a given community to put forward under a popular culture apparatus entirely subsumed in capitalism

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was some poo poo floating around about Alex Hirsch's conduct making Gravity Falls, but I'm not sure how valid it is. Possibly it could've just him having a breakdown because he couldn't handle making a show. People should've talked more poo poo about John K back in the day.

I can't speculate on what caused it, but I do know that he let his hygiene devolve to the point where he had to be sent home because it was becoming a problem for the production. It's been a while since I learned about this waaaay back when the show was still in production, though, and since I had already kinda backed away from the show due to an iffy classmate (the "i won't fail and have to become a -teacher-" one) on it that I didn't get along with I sorta just filed it in my "oh nevermind" box of people/productions I didn't feel like following anymore.

Unless there's an educational benefit to others in my remembering gross details or specifics of lovely things someone or some entity does, I try not to obsess or spend much time remembering that kind of stuff, if that makes any sense.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 15, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Warbird posted:

The animation industry? Grind its participants into dust both physically and mentally? Well I never.
As much as I agree with the assessments of the industry's problems and believe those are forefront of the issue, we have also learned that sometimes the people were broken before they got in and then make it others' problems a la Clarence's creator, or Butch Hartman.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Das Boo posted:

production stuff
I'm guessing you're in layout for the most part?
That's what my final job mostly revolved around as well, but I was much more in the drawing side rather than the coloring side of things.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

On paper and in some practice, yeah.

I think there is some advantage to having at least some kind of in-person department because it can be easier to get feedback when the person is right there rather than having to do it through messages or calls.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

i have a similar circadian rhythm, it's fun and terrible!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

YouTube's algorithm promotes things based on conflict, and that incentivizes people to frame their videos as "BETRAYED FANS" or "THE WORST" or "IN TROUBLE" and all that jazz. People also mistake length for depth, so there you go.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Watched S5 of Aggretsuko and forget the messaging there was like 2 or 3 seasons worth of plotlines and I don't think any of them actually resolved or get so glossed over it's hard to count it. Like Retsuko and Haida decide to get married in a scene transition and it's never commented on at all what the hell lol.

Aggretsuko is written by someone who is vaguely aware that society exists, throws a few references to things they might have heard about on the news, and prettymuch calls it a day after shrugging their shoulders at the way things are.

Remember when the super-genius young upstart's amazing plan was... to cook the books a bit? And that's it. That was the extent of the plan. It failed because it was the most obvious scheme with no intrigue whatsoever.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I kinda hate the symbol animation style of Digman from what i've seen in the promos, but if the performances and gags are on point, I can get used to it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

DragonBall was a comedy that turned more 'serious' over time, but it's honestly my favorite when it's more sitcom-like and low-stakes.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Saw the leaked premiere, Scudworth is in it but Gandhi isn’t. Also it was 70% great 30% jokes about woke judgemental kids these days

Yeah it sounded real old man yelling at clouds and kinda insuffrable.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

unfortunately the creator of that likes to hang out with and record (now-deleted) podcast episodes with right-wing crank doug tennapel and one of the voices is/was a guy named kirbopher who has his own rap sheet.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Oh sorry, could you point me to an animator who is 7 degrees of separation from all problematic animation industry personnel?

Tennapel was pretty notorious for well over a decade for being a vocal bigot and that bigotry had direct consequences to his career in a hugely public way, man. And it wasn't some one-off appearance, either.

If there was a reckoning and apology, etc. that's great, but it was a hosed-up situation that's more than what you're playing it off as.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I feel like too many of BirdGirl's core cast are just sort of smug, flat characters. Like Meredith the Mindtaker is just a way more boring Mentok; Charlie Strongarm's boring as gently caress most of the time too.

It feels like an entirely different show with a Harvey Birdman coat of paint: the visuals, timing, and line delivery are all way different.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

This TenNapel guy's non-art positions are typical chud dogshit, but I don't think that auto-cancels all of his guests if they want to show up and discuss art and animation.

Like, there's reuploads of these TenNapel shows; apparently Doug is a blowhard conservative who's explicitly against gay marriage, but he still invites the creator and creator's gay husband on the show, because the main objective is promoting them as indie artists. He's trying to do some "see, I have gay friends!" PR nonsense there too, and because it's his show and he's an rear end in a top hat, he grills them both on the Gay Experience and their stance on politics and religion while they squirm because they clearly want to get back to talking about their artwork.
Why would someone then go on multiple times, including alongside a guy named Reagan Lodge that's apparently known as a nazi-sympathizer if their experience on the show was that awkward?

It'd be like going on Fox News over and over again.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

No.1 Special posted:

So Genndy's new movie/series thing is coming to Adult Swim now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/swimpedia/status/1640520349505708033

maybe i'll even like the writing this time, i say, each time he makes a show with plot

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

He's so much better at comedy, where his own sense of drawn-out timing is used for effect as opposed to being boring.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Bussamove posted:

The Lackadaisy pilot was promising but also a lot of “it’s fine”. The rough sketches being visible a lot felt weird, and there was also a weird lack of music so a lot of scenes felt unusually silent when you’re used to that sort of thing. The cajun siblings were just as much of a treat to hear as they were to read, solid choices there for casting.

But it has SungWon Cho in it so naturally I want more.

I feel like the background art was really the standout, because the boarding ended up making some of the dialogue scenes feel like you're staring at the same shot for too long, and not being able to creatively break up some of the monologuing, or using some aspect-to-aspect transitions that don't even need a lot of animation so you're not having to spend huge amounts of labor on dialogue and lip-sync or character animation, when you can instead use some layouts or prop closeups to establish mood, etc. Anime and manga are quite good at this kind of thing, and it's honestly a great way to give both visual interest and be efficient as a production. The action scene was boarded well, but the music didn't kick in until way too late, and overall the sound didn't quite make it for me.

The stylized dialogue for this is very theatrical and stagey, which I think tripped up the actors because for a few of them it feels like they are saying the lines in a recital more than something organic or feeling in-the-scene, which undersells things because the actors don't feel like they're embodying the physicality of what the characters are doing. Yes, some are reciting poems, but it feels like that cadence never actually changes from that. In particular, Rocky's actor needs to express more range for the character so there's different levels of mania as opposed to the tempo he keeps throughout, like he needs to really key in on doing some variation in timing and delivery so it's not the same meter the whole way through. This might come down to the acting direction not having a sense of timing or getting the characters to work off of each other effectively. It makes some of the gags fall flat, like the one where he falls mid-vowel after the really long boring poem, it felt like it was recorded out of context so the fall doesn't really -land- or feel like an interruption, like it was a separate fall sound they added in after. There's a bunch of moments where these kinds of problems kill a few gags.

The animation is a bit hit or miss depending on who handled what shot. The problem with keeping the construction lines in the style is that not all the animators on the project appear to animate or clean up that way, with some of the characters having a very piecemeal kind of inbetweening where the animator is re-using body parts rather than drawing or even just doing a traceback after using the body parts for the pose.

It wasn't anywhere near bad, but it really really needed some tightening up and some sound work.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 31, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I just absolutely hate the visuals of Royal Crackers. The designs are boring and look like the standard "it's adult animation because it looks like a kid drew it in his homework" model, and they are not even well animated by puppet standards. If the designs are supposed to look bad and like anyone can draw them with no effort, why bother making it a puppet animation which exists mostly because of fears of finding animators who can stay on model.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Of the new Fox shows, Housebroken has been pretty good. Glad it got a 2nd season.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

Does anybody know if Digman is on a streaming site? Its not on HBOMax at least. I finally watched an episode and was really surprised at how good it was.

If it's a Comedy Central show, it's actually more likely to end up on Paramount+ than HBO Max. South Park is just a weird exception.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Background artist being a separate person has me wondering, do the backgrounds come before or after the animations?

I never really thought of it because for the most part everything is so cohesive now. Like I never see anything like books sticking out in a bookshelf because a character is gonna interact with it anymore.

It depends on what kind of production model you're looking at: East/West Old/New

In the US there used to be a separate layout department where the board art is reinterpreted to give it a proper horizon line/perspective job so the animators will have that to work with along with putting in any necessary details/props that the scene will require. The layout department has to also think ahead of time about how the character(s) are going to move through the frame so they know how to make sure the backgrounds don't interfere or have wonky layout that makes the movement look out of place. The animators can work with what the layout department gives them, and the background art dept can then go all in on rendering.

Lately the storyboarders have inherited the layout job without the extra benefit of time nor salary to do both jobs.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

If you liked that episode, there's an entire anime about that whole process called Shirobako. It passes the Bechdel test, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Nothing about what I've seen of Fired on Mars seems at all interesting to me. Am I jaded or is the premise just a big nothing?