Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haldolium posted:

Nah, sorry but both Raven games where fantastic and aged appropriately slow.

Limb cutting wasn't a "Tarantino gore fest" either way, just appropriate behavior for the weapon.

i mean you could butcher all of oota gunga and children in the phantom menace game too. i mean i agree, there should be more dismemberment in star wars game but as along as they have some good burn cuts/marks with light saber strikes, i'll be ok with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FallenOrde...tm_source=share

anyway some dude on reddit got it early, says the combat is very serkerio and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Bought the pre-order. I'll admit that I was absolutely sold by the range of lightsaber customization.

Hope I get murdered by Vader at the end. It's how I've always wanted to die.

it sounds like its very much based on the disney world "build lightsaber" style thing, so you can mix and match and you start with blue or green.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm calling it now: the game is going to be really really good, and the reason you're not hearing a lot about it hype-wise is because Respawn's last game, Apex Legends, was surprise-released with zero marketing and made almost 200 million dollars in the first 3 months. I think that corporate is honestly trying to figure out how much of their huge 50m marketing budgets actually matter.

respawn makes amazing stuff and titanfall 1 and more so 2 are fantastic games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

It’s from the Titanfall 2 guys?
That was a pretty fantastic and fast paced campaign, and I have to think more than a minute to name 5 better games of the last years with a better campaign that caught me into immersion and action and “woah that was loving awesome”-moments the way TF2 did.

I got EA Origin Premier, so that’s a no brainer library addition anyway.

it sounds like the campaign will be pretty long. i want to guess, arkham knight length. maybe longer.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

So let’s hope they got enough hooks and story features and nice action to keep us immersed .

I give Respawn some credit, one of the few dev teams that did not disappoint, it s the opposite. They set their own bars really high, in a good way.

it has some good writers behind it like Chris Avellone and Aaron Contreras is the narrative lead. he wrote mafia 3 which while it has its issues if is a loving fantastically written game. the cinimatics director is 3rd part person who also cinematic director on TNC.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 11, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Somebody ripped the game logos and all the ability training videos off the preload:

https://streamable.com/l2xfg

Weapon spoilers.

well, poo poo. i am hyped.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

I think the embargo is more to do with Disney, they're very protective of spoilers. They did the same with Mando and everyone loves it.

this. i saw like the first leaked 15 min fallen order and it looks pretty legit so far.

also i liked mando but the pilot definitely feels like a pilot and is kinda all over the place.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, about what I expected. Hold a button to perma block, flick a button to parry that staggers weaker enemies, roll for everything else. Spam attacks and if weak mook is blocking it works their stamina bar down into a typical death blow Nice to see the force powers got mapped to a lot of buttons though.

The sound design is good, can't decide on the graphics cause the stream quality is iffy. Lightsaber looks good, the other characters' faces look good but the PC looks like a doof :thinking:

Death blows look/sound great. Opening level set design looked fun.

graphics looks pretty good. its more the video quality kinda sucks.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I will still struggle with it, :toxx: me

hell same.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

gameplay video's dmca'd already!

so what is this anyway, darth souls?

serkiero mixed with uncharted mixed with metroidvania stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just got my gamestop call reminding me I can stop by at 4PM tomorrow to pick up my voucher to pick up the game at 9PM. I'm getting more hyped than I thought, but lol if I'm going to make multiple trips and stand in line for a game I won't break out until Friday anyway :effort:

i pick up mine after work at gamestop but thankfully the gamestop is right across the way from work. so thats nice.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm still amazed that GameStop exists

i mean we have FYEs where i live. the gamestop next to my work is nice and they have some weird physical games there.

TheAgent posted:

meth is last year. now its all about funding that extra set of limited edition disney pins from the Y2K event

they have a gently caress ton of figurepins there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No offense but you said earlier in the thread that Titanfall 2 failed because the multiplayer was too much like Call of Duty. You seem to have sort of a tin ear about Respawn, a company that literally told EA that they were going to release a game without marketing as an experiment and EA agreed. They absolutely have some leeway.

lol they said what. like i am a weird hipster who likes the multiplayer in TF1 more but TF2 is still loving amazing and nothing like COD. respawn is one of the best devs out there, that goon is a fool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mordja posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling that--for now, at least--Respawn negotiated out a deal that gave them something of a carte blanche, and Apex's success would have only solidified that. I mean, on a very fundamental level is the fact that none of their games are on Frostbite. And EA pretty much mandated that all of its devs use Frostbite a few years back, no matter how unfit and engine it is for the type of game being made. Meanwhile, Respawn alone just kept using Source and now UE4, so they're definitely a special case.

part of me thinks its because they keep makeing winners, so EA is fine letting them do whatever. EA is poo poo but looks at how bad Bioware has become. A ton of that is EA's fault, but Bioware got high off their own farts and now believ in bioware magic or whatever and the last 2 games have been poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

Fighting with a lightsaber and not cutting stuff is kinda like those old (or new, dunno if it's still the case) cartoons where every weapon is a laser because you can't have blood/bullets/whatever so it's taser time for everyone.

It's.... lame. No need to go full Mortal Kombat but come on, could've put a parental control option for this stuff.

What I mean is, give me Star Wars Revengeance

i feel like most jedi outside mace "bad motherfucker" windu or childkiller anakin try to keep dismemberment to a min. in the movies and cartoons outside key moments, its body strikes and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyte0Q1vwE

also pretty sure body strikes would be super lethal with a lightsaber anyway because superheat through vital organs/etc.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Gonna have to knock a point off on account of the game not letting you torture animals.

indeed. let me be able to shove the lightsaber blade up a stormstrooper hyper realistic rear end in a top hat as an execution.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Lucas' original vision for Star Wars was a three hour long monologue in which Luke Starkiller continually talks about blasting Womp Rats to pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxFSntCJdiI

leaked here first.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

People, who want to see the same stuff that was in the PG rated movies, also in their action game about monsters and spaceships and weirdos must definitely be psychopaths irl. Sure.

but its never really a casual thing in the movies. its either a big "oh gently caress moment" baddie death or some other poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qanBnogRS0M
see.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JBP posted:

The animals fly apart and get cut to pieces all the time what's this argument about

because you can't do it to people and or do revengence trick cuts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Remember what they did to Bioware? Remember what they did to Battlefront? You deserve to play lovely $60 video games.

Andromeda...

fuckin Anthem

I am not putting the shame you feel inside of you. Youre feeling that all on your own.

EA sucks assholes but the last 2 games apparently are more on Bioware than EA judging from the kotaku article and other stuff. Bronze age bioware is that dipshit college student who get really lucky by throwing together a passing project over night and than decides thats how all his next projects will be.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fadam posted:

As someone who barely knows anything about Star Wars:

is there a reason for why Darth Vader is so slow and lovely in the first few movies but he whips rear end everywhere else? Obviously back when they were filming them that was probably the best they could do, but in the lore did they ever cook up a reason for why he got so much weaker?

mostly because he is trying to take his kid alive/etc. vader has always been the big Heavy build since his basicaly robocop with superpowers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i like it alot so far. my biggest issue is some of the soul elemements don't mesh well with the metroidvania stuff. i was kinda hoping for more dynamic enviromental changes as the story progressd but the enemy respawn system keeps that from happening. i kinda with the combat/healing stayed souls like but everything else was more arkhamy or whatever. also where are the imperial officers?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

The more I think about it the more this game would be improved by replacing all the hostile natural aliens with either more imperial alien troopers and droids OR make the animals neutral who won’t attack you because of The Force but also make it so you can use to force to make animals attack imperials. Jedi should be attuned with the force and nature such that all the rats and bats and bugs shouldn’t give a poo poo about you.

it would be improved if the world "changed" to your actions and dark souls enemy layout/spawn systems don't work as well with a pretty "linear" story game. because nothing changes. you will always see those two rat monsters trying to eat the troopers body and all the troopers will be in the same place. it never feels alive. just do what the new asscreeds do and keep the combat soulish but keep everything else normal

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Don't you get red ones by torturing the crystal or something?

yeah. basicaly sith being sith are about bending the krystal to their will and basicaly torture it. so yes.

anyway. i beat it and i liked it alot overall. the plot is simplistic but the Gotham dude and Debra Wilson sell it pretty well. my big issue is the first and last 3rd of the game are intense and cool but the middle just kinda exists and alot of it feels like bad souls filler. much like TF2, when the game is semi on rails its loving cool and awesome and it feels like your in a star wars movie. when vader shows up, its appropriately "oh poo poo" run for it. i do also like that how loving stupidly awful the empire is in small ways.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 18, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i think the game needs a new game+ mode.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JBP posted:

Yeah it does, but the devs said they couldn't due to the structure of the world. I think it's probably more that they had to get the game finished, so maybe one day.

i could see them possibly being able to pull it off. the big issue i have is the game doesn't seem to encourage that much replayibility. outside cosmetic poo poo, your not missing anything and plus the baddies respawn in the same way every time so its not variety.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Just Chamber posted:

I wondered that and watched an interview with her to see for myself, they're nowhere near that level, it was a little distracting.

yeah, irl she looks normal. in this game she looks like marge Simpson. it sucks because i like her character and the actress can sell anything.

i like the story but i feel like alot of conective stuff was left on the cutting room floor. i still kinda feel like this game would have been better as a uncharted/titanfall 2 type linear levels with the combat system that it has now. like i just wish the world changed up a little. idk.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pierson posted:

I adore TF2, it's the best.

Finished it off and I think the game was a solid 8/10. My biggest complaint was how incredibly low-energy the entire finale level and ending felt. Rather than be a weird hybrid of Sekiro and Uncharted I think they should picked one and went full-speed in that direction because the combat wasn't as good as Sekiro and the cinematic platforming didn't feel as cinematic or exciting as Uncharted.

yeah. i feel like it needed more uncharted set piece moments. the story is very uncharted in the way its told but the levels are very souls like and those to rub against each other oddly. the final was cool but than it kinda just ends. like the ending is fine but compared to tf2 and its very cod/uncharted level direction would work better here.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eej posted:

The game started development in 2014 by a fresh group at a studio known only for FPS so overall it's pretty good first shot at this kinda thing. Just... give us more for the next one!!

this. i liked it enough to want add ons and a sequel. it was fun and cool and weirdly uplifting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Traxis posted:

The opening sequence was cool and atmospheric but the next two planets have been lifeless boring slogs.

yeah, thats my big problem with the game. the souls type world level design doesnt gel with the story and set pieces.

dyzzy posted:

I had exactly one loading sequence immediately prior where him and Cere are talking about gambling and Cere says something about his habits leading to trouble with the Brood. That was it

thats another issues. the story is good for what it is but the whole middle of the game is just kinda in limbo and their is no meat to alot of whats happening and threads just get dropped.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JBP posted:

Storm troopers are clones of an idiot.

nah, in new canon, they are mostly recruits or conscripts. the purge troopers are possibly clones of fett but gently caress if i know. so your mostly killing moron kids who became moron fascists.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

The Order 66 sequence was unexpectedly good, I was not expecting that much from it.
Also, pink lightsaber to go with my pink-striped droid :getin:

yeah, like like no wonder cal has super PTSD and survivors guilt, like gently caress me, that was pretty intense.

SirSamVimes posted:

Imo the combat in this game is extremely good against humanoids, just mediocre against animals.

i feel like parry and block dont work as well as they should in general. guess the sequel will fix that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Ending spoiler I think Vader serves an important role at the end of the game as establishing exactly how powerful you actually are. You're tearing up all these inquisitors but guess what, they were just half trained Padawans like yourself.

Well, I guess I forgot about crazy former Jedi on Dathomir with that but hes clearly not in control so lets go with that.

this vader is a whole other level of monster. the crazy jedi is basically Kurtz or some poo poo finally breaking and becoming a weird monster and as stated, your already.

hobbesmaster posted:

Ending that moment really is great. Hearing vader’s breathing out of nowhere had me thinking “oh no this is bullshit I have 1 stim fuckfuckfuck. A+ design

yeah. the loving legit panic attack shiver with the second sister also did that for me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JBP posted:

I hope they make a sequel to this and it's good.

i assume they will, i am pretty sure the game sold well and EA is desperate for a critical hit star wars game.

Dreylad posted:

Cal's response to Vader telling him it would be wise for him to surrender with a "Probably." did more for his character than most of the rest of the game. Better late than never I guess!

i liked cal, he isn't amazing but i genuinly like how earnest he is and how he is slowly dealing with his trauma and how he tries to help his friends with theirs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

That's extremely depressing.

yeah it is. the whole clone wars cgi cartoon makes a bunch of clones main characters and there is some dark and depressing poo poo that happens to them.

OhFunny posted:

Yeah. It's much more depressing in the new canon since the clones are actual individuals instead of unthinking automatons. Which means once Order 66 is complete a lot of clones are traumatized by being forced to murder Jedi who were their friends against their will.

this too. than they basically all get replaced by recruits and dumb kids and conscripts who are even more indoctrinated because they are basicaly trained since preteens in academy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Really wish there was a New Game+

I'd enjoy playing the game against with all my poo poo unlocked, but screw starting from scratch with no fast travel.

i assume they will push one out at some point. probably keep upgrades but lose you powers until story moments but get them fully upgraded immediately

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Perestroika posted:

But enough complaining, one surprisingly fun part was of the game Trilla. Perhaps it's just because Cal is such a void of character, but I enjoyed every time she was on screen. She's just so into it! She walks around like a ludicrously grimdark and over-the-top stereotype, but she just owns that poo poo with such panache that I can't help but love it. It might have taken horrible torture and indoctrination, but this is the look of a lady who has found her thing and is loving it.

yeah i liked cal but trilla was great and she is just genuinely kinda tragic. on cal, he is less of a void and more of a Stephen universe black hole of wholesome niceness which works for alot of parts but it gets old sometimes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eej posted:

We, are the Jedi friends
We'll always save the day
And can, you think we not
We'll always find a way
That's why this galaxy far, far away, believes in
Merrin, Cere Junda, and Greez (and Kestis!)

lol. yeah pretty much. i am more a fan of the arthur morgan/geralt type of protag but cal is somewhat refreshing for star wars protag. i do get annoyed how easly he brushes off his friends lying to him or getting him hosed over. like i called the trilla twist the second cere sidestepped her fate but i still liked that plotline more than i usually do.

Dogen posted:

Merrin alludes to knowing about him too. I assume it’s in reference to one of the cartoons, or maybe the comic.

she alludes to grievious who basically genocides the poo poo out of the night sisters because they kept butting into the "grand plan".

moosecow333 posted:

Another thing I really like is how Cal doesn’t know who Darth Vader is. We spend a lot of time with Vader in the movies so we assume he’s well known but the vast majority of people haven’t even heard of him.

vader espcially in the early years of the empire in new canon is kinda of a boogieman to the galaxy, no one knows who or what he is and not many people survive long enough to know about him, eventually, he kinda becomes sheeves hatchet man and "fixes" problems.

Bust Rodd posted:

I think I liked this game but was extremely disappointed in its shortcomings

this. i like the story and the liniar missions and the combat but alot of stuff drags it down. 8/10 still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

Just finished. Very solid, and I would love to see Respawn do a sequel that improves on this one and/or some other Star Wars action game.

Love how the goal with Vader is to just get the gently caress away, and I was pleasantly surprised the ending was relatively happy and not "and then everyone died to Vader." I'm really sad Merrin wasn't introduced earlier. She's great, and I wanted to see her and Cal/the crew interact more. She should be playable in DLC/a sequel.

Cal grew on me as a character despite coming off as extremely bland at the beginning of the game and I liked him by the end. BD-1, Cere and Greez were also a lot of fun.

One small thing I liked about the game was the song that plays at the beginning of the game and the monster arena.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xClA02j0Yoo

I like hearing takes of "in-universe" music, and between this and the score in The Mandalorian, I'm digging how Star Wars music isn't just trying to be John Williams' score anymore.

oh yeah. that song is played by a real band. they are Mongolian metal band that combine throat singing and metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc