Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Just finished my first run, GD. I don't know how I was going to kill the last boss if Byleth hadn't pulled off a clutch crit. I was like putting everyone in front of them and seeing "Mt: 0" on most or at best 20 damage.

The crit meant Claude could pull the trigger but anyone else would have just been yeeted off the map. Thanks Byleth :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Tabletops posted:

so i just did battle of the eagle and lion on my deers restart.

during the fight i noticed that loving ingrid has lancefaire? what the poo poo is up with that? there aren't any classes that get lancefair till master classes lol

thats some bullshit

I wasn't that interested in her until she wrecked me in that fight, god she was difficult. I think Leonie dealt with her in the end.

Not nearly so useful when I recruited her but still ended up a key team player, along with her best BL friends whom I also poached. And Ashe was there too

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh hey post above reminded me. I finished GD today and in Lysithea's end card it said "even without her Crests, she was fine" or similar. I guess I missed something because that was never even mentioned. I didn't bother recruiting Hanneman, is that why? We were besties so it wasn't a support with me thing. She married Lorenz of all people, gross, I'd have talked her out of that if I could

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 2, 2019

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Blaziken386 posted:

Didn't capture the GD exclusive paralogue, but I appreciate that Seteth has unique dialogue for both Claude's paralogue and Leonie/Linhardt's paralogue

I also like that the reason Indech and Macuil aren't helping is because, respectively, they're old/worn-out and old/pissed
(ps - lmao linhardt's the only member of the cast with a brain because he realizes who The Immovable actually is.)

Thanks for this, I was wondering where the fourth one was.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

RoyalScion posted:

All students are pretty delightful, except Ignatz Lorenz and Cyril.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Carlosologist posted:

Dimitri’s absolute exasperation at Sylvain’s schtick was gold

Why would you give a knife to a girl tho

(their b support i think)
"ahh help I need to hide, girl trouble"

"dude did you give her a loving knife again, jesus christ"

had me rolling

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Adun posted:

So this is my first Fire Emblem game and I had no idea you had to view support videos between supporting characters or that you could even build links between characters that didn't involve Byleth. Unfortunately I'm now in what I'm pretty sure is the last month of the game.

How viable is it to farm some support levels for just a few characters by doing the battles that don't require points repeatedly and just having two characters constantly fight next to each other?

Did you play 70+ hours without ever looking at the support menu? I mean that's entirely viable if that's the case and you can be bothered with the grind, I farmed Felix and Bernadetta's last two like that and it took about 20 minutes.

although I regret it bc they got married and that's weird

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
In which route can I marry Jeritza

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I like Catherine well enough but was pretty mad my first playthrough when Ashe married her.

Sure I ground out their A support because their B broke my heart (Ashe being angry :qq:) and was happy that he was coming to terms with "bitch killed my brother" but marriage? Come on kid you can do so much better

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Kurtofan posted:

Claude owns, please do not speak ill of my boi

Yeah this, if I had stopped playing this game after first going with Golden Deer I would have been satisfied I think. The only thing in GD I wish had been different was Dimitri, him fighting us at the second Gronder Fields was bad and him dying offscreen was terrible. There were so many other ways he could have resolved. Even killing him myself would have felt like a better ending for him. As it is there's no reason for him to oppose the Alliance and no reason for him to die like that.

Also Claude's endings are weird he just fucks off I guess? Thought you were my best friend bro but w/e

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Bongo Bill posted:

Claude comes back if you S-rank him.

Oh no I was torn between two and in the end I married Sylvain and now I regret it :qq:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Action Shakespeare posted:

Second Gronder was so frustrating and even more so that the game forces you to actually eliminate both sides. I spent that entire match only focused on Black Eagles hoping it owuld just resolve once i took em all out but NOPE. All of the Blue Lions I liked just got sent into my buzzsaw for no reason.

Did exactly the same thing and then Dimitri got mad that I was opposing him when he was fuckin coming at me with his murder lance. My guy gently caress you, I tried

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Yinlock posted:

(church route mission 3)

Ashe: I'm sorry professor, but I must do this as Lonato's son

Byleth: *hits him twice with a silver sword*

Ashe: okay poo poo on second thought lonato wasn't that great let me join you

i am a very persuasive speaker

He's sad for like three whole months after this though :smith:

Yinlock posted:

I think GD is necessary just to get a more detached perspective on how insane this conflict is. Everyone else is insanely personally invested and only has like a quarter of the story before going off to murder, GD is like "ok what the gently caress is actually going on here"

Would recommend GD as a first run to anyone. The other routes have such crazy amounts of character moments and Dimitri's whole thing that GD will always feel like a bit of an anticlimax, but as a first run it's amazing. Even the big moments that are downsized flame emperor are still big moments. I love the band of misfits and Claude is just such a fun character compared to the other two. I'm extremely golden deer.

e: BL seems like the real one though. All the early missions are about BL kids and Dimitri's connection to the main plot is intense. I haven't seen all of it but p sure it must be the intended one. Also it's apparently the most popular one in Japan. Funny how it's least popular here.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 7, 2019

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Prowler posted:

Claude and Petra wound up together in my playthrough, which works really well from a story perspective (and fits his motivations/aspirations).

Ah that's a good one, my Claude ended up with Leonie which I wasn't expecting, I thought she would end up with Ignatz. The card was great though, she just disappears from her village and when he does a state visit she's at his side. Woulda married her if I could, it's a crime that she's straight tbh

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Carlosologist posted:

Dimitri using one of Sylvain's pick up lines and failing tremendously is hilarious

the tight knit structure of the Lions really works for me, it's actually turning out to be my favorite so far

"did you give her a loving knife again, come on"

"no!! just help me"

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Im doing Blue Lions next and everyone's being what they're bad at. Felix is my healer. Mercedes is frontline axe. Annie has a lance. Sylvain gets to fly. Dark Mage Ingrid. Ashe... well, anything would fit if we're honest here.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Diogines posted:

This is what I have so far:

Edelgard - Default, axe and authority.

Hubert - Default, reason and authority. I feel like I should swap out authority for something else but I have no idea watch. He does have some sort of secret skill for lance? Maybe Faith, so he can be a secondary healer?

Ferdinand the Man(I think maybe my favorite character so far) - Lance, which he has by default and heavy armor. I figured heavy armor would be more useful then having a second weapon still, as he had acts by default and he has some kind of secret unlock for heavy armor.

Linhardt - Default, reason and Faith. Since she is a healer and inoffensive caster this one seemed easy to just leave on default.

Casper - Default, Axe and brawler, but gently caress if I know what to do with him. At least at the outset pauler seems useless, he has no secret skills a paradigm skill list and his stats seem bad. Maybe swap out brawler for bow?

Bernadetta - Default, Lance and bow because I likewise have no idea what to do with her. Based on the post above, I should certainly not make her a pegasus night, but what about a regular mounted combat unit? She does have a secret skill for riding.

Dorothea - faith and reason. She has a secret skill for faith and she has combat magic, seems a good choice, though this seems entirely secondary to her primary purpose which is to be a stationary healing AOE healing drone.

Petra - Default, sword and axe. She has no unlocks so I just left it on the default. Since she has a bonus for bow it seems like a good choice, I think I should probably drop axe for it?

Any criticism, changes or tweaks are extremely welcome.

I'm in the same position on NG+. Hubert's only ever going to be worthwhile as a mage so I just have him studying reason alone. Ferdie can use riding to great effect later, strong physical attacker for now. Linhardt has surprised me wrecking poo poo as an offensive mage so maybe getting his reason up is worthwhile. Dorothea same. Bernie's a sniper born and bred, but get her riding up because she's a great bow knight very later. You don't have anyone else with bows so getting Petra involved isn't a bad idea, but her strength is up close and dodging everything for most of the game. Caspar is a nice guy but useless

Am I wrong

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Cattail Prophet posted:

Also Linhardt is a dude :ssh:

The most beautiful dude :allears:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

HenryEx posted:

You could just NOT use Ashe to, like.... open... chests?
But then why bring him at all.

Because he is made of kindness, mostly. What a sweetie. Also I used him in my GD run as a sniper until Bernie massively overtook him. He's lance and axe on my current BE run (because I couldn't bear the thought of eventually killing him) and is entirely lacklustre. Maybe he'll pick up. I don't know why he comes with axes and has lance as a hidden talent when he is so not meant to be up and personal. He does okay with hand axes so far and he'll fly eventually.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Diogines posted:

I appreciate that this fantasy medieval monastery is progressive enough to allow their students to dress as the gender they feel that they are inside, I will make sure to use the correct pronouns when discussing her, damnit, I mean him in the future.

This is tasteless.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Diogines posted:

They have long hair, somewhat feminine facial features and start off with healing magic(which tends to be a skill given to female characters in these kinds of games) so my confusion is not exactly shocking. The joke was about my misunderstanding and nothing else.

It's still horrible that your first thought was to make a pronouns gag, my friend, even if you hadn't had enough time to actually speak to Linhardt and hear his voice.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Diogines posted:

My joke was about my own mistake, not about him. And since you are making such a silly issue about this, yes, I believe that we should treat everyone with respect and dignity and respect the position that they take regarding their gender identity. So there is no need for you to be up in arms. Fear not, I am gone from the thread.

As Linhardt would say, goodbye.

(for when you come back to read this: even if you have been mistaken about a fictional character's gender, it is not okay to double down and make awkward jokes about their pronouns, identification, and progressiveness, because then you come across as a transphobe.)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Joe Zieja (Claude's English VA) just posted a video up on Youtube of him and a friend trying to replicate some of the stunts in the game. (With a few concessions here and there to the pesky laws of physics.)

I love how hard Joe Zieja is leaning into this. He and Chris Hackney, Dimitri's VA, are terrible together on twitter. It's so cool that he did this, not as much upside-down Claude as I'd expected. He can't do the wyvern backflip.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Blaziken386 posted:

unrelated, what do people think about this

They still pull it off better than Lorenz does

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

lightrook posted:

Someone please tell Edelgard about the tenacious breed of hunting dog whose name starts with "b" and ends with "eagle."

https://twitter.com/coolfest1999/status/1166356885001428992

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's the other thing. Which is also what makes it a little frustrating to me--I'd love a reason for classes to sort of compete for time when it comes to class mastery. If you want to have a really optimized team you're almost certainly having every physical attacker spend like 10 levels as a Brigand for Death Blow, and every caster do the same as a Mage for Fiendish Blow. Meanwhile there's basically no reason to use Priest at all. Even your healers have offensive spells and Mage gets them Fiendish Blow, while Priest gets them... double the Heal spell charges as long as they're still a Priest?

Maybe I'd like the Three Houses system more if more class mastery skills were worth it and so it'd feel more rewarding to spend time as other classes.

Ah I'm trying to care about class mastery this run and I know Brigand gets deathblow but nothing else about mastery skills. My Byleth is running as a priest because she looks better in the outfit. What does thief get you? Petra and Felix are killing it as thieves. Felix with a bow is fun, Petra's going dancer because quite honestly Sylvain is at the moment doing exactly what she does as a mercenary. His dex/speed might drop off later but for now he gets it done. He can dance if he starts to struggle in the next couple months. Any other mastery worth going for? I'm trying to use the noble/commoner mastery skills more. Shove is funny to me.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

swap and reposition are deffo things i like having around, even if the latter is mainly because i play feh and repo is super desirable there

but on NG+ it's very rare for my units to have acquired the class mastery by the time they hit level 10 and can move on to better things anyway

I'm getting joy out of seeing all the enemies target, like, Caspar or Linhardt, then having someone come in and swap with him. Hey guess what? Here's Petra! *all enemies rapidly reconsider*

I think I only have Shove on Bernie and the idea of her barrelling full speed into Edelgard, sending her flying, is fun.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Harrow posted:

Here's the list: https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/classes/class-abilities-arts/

Brigand gets you Death Blow and Mage gets you Fiendish Blow (which is Death Blow for magic). Priest gets you Miracle, which isn't very useful. Thief gets Steal.

Thanks, still avoiding spoilers as much as possible. I'm glad this thread is so kind about that as I'm BE-E for the first time. Edelgard and Ashe are brigands and Dorothea and Annie are mages so far. None of these intermediate ones are as exciting as I hoped so I guess I don't need to be so precious about it. Maybe when they get to advanced or master. Only the brigands, mages and maybe Bernie as an archer. I'm not giving up Linhardt's double white magic to respec him as a mage, he can suck it up.

Pavise and Aegis later seem worth getting. Felix is ridiculous with his shield and in my last game someone else got Aegis naturally, Ferdie I think.

I guess if I'm insisting on making Caspar punch he should get unarmed combat. He's way too squishy but once or twice he's pulled it off with just fists so I'll stick with it.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 8, 2019

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Ferdie is awesome and gets even better in part 2.

I just did the Battle of the Eagle and Lion for the second time and that would have been much harder if Claude hadn't sat twiddling his thumbs the whole fight. I don't think you should need to get near the other house leaders for them to go. I'm BE this time but still cheered when Raphael scored a clutch dodge against Dedue and knocked him out. :thumbsup:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm mad that I can't personally kill Von Aegir Sr even if he gets what he deserves anyway even though I don't want to make Ferdie cry.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh no Linhardt stop telling me how sad fighting and killing makes you, especially after I just made you fry everyone in Remire Village with Bolganone :smith:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
The old adage "you either get a monster Ferdie or a worthless Ferdie" holds true, after having him as a powerhouse my first game this time he is extremely lacklustre at chapter 10. Shape the gently caress up dude

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Also excuse the terrible photo but I had a great showing for the White Heron Cup this year

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm only halfway through BE-E and there is no way Edelgard and Dorothea can't end up extremely romantic, they are so cute :ohdear:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Mordiceius posted:

Goddamn the monastery is a loving chore on any playthrough after the first.

It's fun to see it all again with context after a first run, especially if that first run is GD. I'm making it to 40 hours again pre-timeskip and I don't quite know how that happened, I thought I was blitzing through it.

I don't think I'll feel so fond of it on my BL third run. I will actually blitz through that.

There's a Hilda/Marianne explore conversation that only seems to happen in GD where Hilda tells you that people are saying Marianne is one of the bad guys :( No downside to recruiting her tbh

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 15, 2019

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

ROFL Octopus posted:

Marianne is easily the worst of the designated healers but even so I’m glad I recruited her each time. (There is no upside to not recruiting her)

I got her just now in chapter 10 BE and she out-Dorothea's when it comes to Heal/Physic easily. One of them will end up a mortal savant and Marianne came with C sword

Mordiceius posted:

Also also - gently caress the "lost items" system.

Am I the only person who loves the lost items. I had a great time working out what was whose the first time and on this second run either I remember or I brute force it. Most of the time it's really obvious. Lost Items are good and when you know they are usually found where the owner was standing last month, really easy

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Tae posted:

Dorathea is a dps first, I dunno why you think she's a healer.

I don't, she was my mortal savant candidate til Marianne turned up. Linhardt is too busy wrecking poo poo to do any healing, he's turning out better than Hubert right now. Capitalised on that with the movement shoes item and the Cethleann staff.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

jimmydalad posted:

Lorenz and Ferdinand’s C-Support is them being nerdy with tea and it’s amazing. Oh you stuffy Noble boys :allears:

I haven't yet seen a Ferdinand support that I haven't loved. He may be arrogant and dumb as a sack of rocks but goddammit he is genuine :allears:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I love his supports with Bernie because he lectures her a bit, she freaks out and accidentally hurts him, then declares him her nemesis and goes full foetal position upon seeing him again. And then she ends up lecturing him because he berates himself so much for being so insensitive and un-noble as to try and get her socialising. :allears:

Ferdie's one of my favourites. I like how his dialogue post-Flame Emperor reveal but pre-timeskip are so different on GD/BL compared to BE-E. The first he's really freaking out, his world is turned upside down, just all his confidence in himself and his house is completely drained. I just got to that point on BE-E and he's still a little shaken but seems to understand why what happened, happened.

Just a good guy all round. :love:

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

ferdinand is the last person who has to be told what a piece of poo poo his dad is

like in his and lysithea's paralogue when they get to hrym and find out that dad got lynched by a mob he was like "welp not surprised, guess it falls to me to clean up after him"

That's not how I remember it? He only finds out post-battle that they killed his dad after all, he came there on hearing that his dad was still alive for whatever reason but he's really upset to find out he's too late. For about thirty seconds then he's fine again, sure. But he cries about it! That was on GD so I can see it being different in other routes.