Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
NGU on Kartridge: is the stapler meant to not actually be part of Jake's set? Or, near as I can tell, any set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh hey, a new thread. Someday we'll get a new game I want to play.

Shark Game still exists

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

DontMindMe posted:

Any tips for starting out in NGU? EXP priority and such? Things 1000% worth getting from sellout shop?

Currently pushing towards beating boss 37 to unlock more stuff (waiting on augmentations)

EDIT: I already fell for the mystery prize trap

If there's one thing from the AP shop I consider a must-buy it's the Improved Loot Filter

so worth it

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I bounced off of IA; it was getting too "set up your dudes then go take a nap and hope you wake up to enough prestige for a notable difference" for me.

NGU, however, still has my attention. Game is good, y'all.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Cheap Trick posted:

I feel like I'm far too dumb for this whole drat thread :v: "Make 50 Doozywhatsits to activate the Thingamajig, then reset for better Prestige Pointz scaling"

Tried NGU a while back but couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be doing. Might try it again once it's out on Steam.

NGU has an actual, like, tutorial now so that will help.

(note: for all I know it's had it for years, I didn't remember it having one when I played way way back in the day)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

So using Focus doesn't seem to be giving me any XP. Any idea what gives?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Check the description: quicken your skills with magical energy. It does what it says on the tin.

.............gently caress I am a dumbass. Thank you!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

I obviously don't get Arcanum

Been playing for nearly a week now (checking the game once every few hours at most) and it took until this weekend did i unlock the first T1 class, Trickster. I have no idea why that is the one i get either as i have never been "tricksy" in the game and all my upgrades are towards good and elemental things, no evil or shadow or necro related stuff. I am not interested in being a trickster so i kept playing the game for a while longer and just now i finally unlocked the second T1 class, Prestige, which requires 700 Max Research which means i need to Sublimate Lore 20 times, which means i need 600 Codices. Really looking forward to that grind. None of the other T1 classes are anywhere to be seen. I have the Inn so i have ample floor space and have bought 1 of every building that looks like it potentially could unlock new things but no more T1 classes have appeared.

I also have so many skills that i am unable to learn as i don't have skill points. I am assuming thats where some of the more interesting T1 classes are as i have not learned e.g. Pyromancy yet. (as well as Weaving, Divination, Herbalism, Charms, Animal Handling, Shadow Lore, Water Lore, Astronomy) Like half the skills i have discovered remains locked, good fun.

So, the advice I can give:

1) When you're bumping into a cap on Research or Gold, the best approach isn't usually based on your skills, it's based on your house. Sell some poo poo you don't need to make space for scroll cases and bookshelves and iron chests and whatever. If you can, buy a bigger house (don't even bother trying to change classes without being in the biggest house you've unlocked, IMHO). Don't be afraid to sell old furniture to upgrade to new versions (small chests to iron chests, for instance) or to get rid of poo poo you don't need immediately in order to unlock poo poo you do.

2) Once you're no longer an apprentice, check out the Pace action. It gives you arcanum, it increases your max arcanum, it gives you research... and it gives you a trickle of skill points. Start pacing. Then go watch a movie or something. Come back to the skill points you need to unlock more poo poo.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Atoramos posted:

I hear there's a secret club and man I'm so interested in an idling club for secret seekers

edit: oh man now I'm watching numbers go up in style

not only can you watch your numbers go up but you can watch other peoples' numbers go up and you can hear all the bitching about how numbers aren't going up fast enough what more could you WANT

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I try not to compare numbers

my number is fine

I am not self-conscious about my number's size at all

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Raccoon Game Is Good

the only quibble I have is that it has to be active to progress, even in a new window if it's not the thing on your screen it freezes, and that's a bummer

but it's good and I dug it a lot

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

got pulled back into Antimatter Dimensions

dammit

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

My current favorite part of NGU Industries is having to mentally slap myself any time a number goes red. Like okay yes, I will run out of metal frames in 2 hours. I will have upgraded everything by then, it's okay to let things run for a little while with something losing stock. I don't have to strip everything out and try to rebalance because research will fix it in five goddamn minutes.

teach me how to do this

I hate seeing the red so bad

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pachinkrimental is fun as heck but it goes quick; some kind of prestige mechanic would go a long way towards giving it some staying power.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

is anyone still playing Synergism? 'Cause I could really use some advice on how to get past this wall where I've unlocked Ascension but I can't seem to get the rewards high enough to really make it worth using a bunch, and I still have three more Talismans I need to unlock

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Aurora posted:

it doesn't make number go up in any meaninful way though.

like why would i spend my time doing this instead of pushing 24 hour rebirths instead of getting uhhhhhh 140m exp? 20k ap?

See that 1/20? What if it could go up to 2/20? And then 3/20? And on and on until you get to 20/20?!?

If this doesn't appeal to you I think perhaps you have evaded the point of the Numbers Go Up game

(just kidding, I wouldn't give a poo poo either, but in NGU the numbers going up really has to be its own reward)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Well now i wanna play it and I can't. Did life get better or worse for me being cursed with this information.

my feeling exactly

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

4G

I am very hype and am looking forward to this new way to give you money

Just in case you were worried people didn't seem excited

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Welp, my mastery took a nice several percent jump after 3-Star Bioseeding some Toxic Trolls off an Elliptical Toxic Tundra planet into space. :toot: Sitting at 31% after engsmsploding the Phoenix civilization, once I reach 2k plasmids I'll probably aim for a black hole into Antimatter.

imagine reading this sentence having never played one of these games, just completely shorn of context

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Arzaac posted:

I've been having fun but I admit the economy of it seems real hosed. I haven't found a better moneymaking action than begging, especially because with enough charisma it turns into street performing and eventually orating.

As you unlock professions through the Lore skills - your 'apprentice blacksmithing' and the like - those skills' income scale with the relevant Lore (so Wood Lore for Woodworking, for instance) and get pretty lucrative eventually

The game is good, but pretty obtuse

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

how are you supposed to not just die to a lot of mice? like eventually my fighting outweighs my 1 rest healing and if I spend more time on resting it just pushes that time out further without really changing the balance

You need a house with walls. I found that a few lives spent grinding nothing but Charisma by begging and occasionally napping made this process pretty trivial

EDIT: Better homes also increase your passive stamina gain per night as well as health regen, so it's a pretty short hop to owning a house where you regain 5 stamina a night sleeping, meaning you're making back the 5 stamina you spent begging/performing/being a politician, making resting unnecessary. Houses also let you buy furniture like better beds that further boost your stamina, or washbasins that give you X amount of Charisma every day, and so on.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 10, 2022

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Somfin posted:

What you want to be doing is hitting one thing per life as hard as you can- so it's not fishing/herbs/alchemy, it's fishing->herbs->alchemy with as much of your 30 years spent in alchemy as you can manage. You also want to get the best house you can reasonably afford- throw down enough politics to get the 10k house every life until your alchemy starts to out-earn it. Once you start poking at Master Alchemy you can bring herbs back in to start generating the pills that give you more years, and as soon as you hit that you spike hard into being able to do whatever you want with your massively extended time. Master Alchemy also gives you money which you can plunge into fields which you can plunge into food, which you should be auto-eating as much as possible (once you start getting piles of it, turn off auto-eating so that you can pick up the inventory slot expansion upgrades)

Also, sooner or later you're going to pick up manuals that let you automate things like 'upgrading your house' and 'plowing fields' so you'll be better able to just let the game run while your aptitudes get huge

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Ah, okay, I was on the right path, but it didn't at all feel like it because MAN that's a big hump to get over and a lot of repetitive clicking; hopefully the curve of the game will get smoothed out a bit because it felt like a ton of progression and stuff was happening both before and after that point, but I spent more than an entire day off repeatedly going back to the grind with very little indication that I was achieving anything at all, doing the not-fun 'trapped in a skinner box but no rewards are happening' bit before A Thing happened and there were things to either do or wait on again.

It smoothed out relatively quickly in my experience, but it took a little bit before I reached genuine "I can walk away from my computer and leave this running" idle status. A lot of the repetitive clicking gets automated in reasonably short order, though

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I've got all the screens unlocked on that one and let me tell you, if you're not enjoying the gameplay where you're at now, just stop, it's not gonna get deeper

Just new resources and new boosts to old resources

Eventually you unlock the ability to get 'anti-grass' which works the same way but it's just a matter of flipping back and forth between production modes for resets, it doesn't even unlock new Challenges

I kinda like the game, but it's an inch deep at most IMHO

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I enjoyed Dodecadragons a bunch but it went pretty quick

I believe the third sigil, the Indigo sigil is the current endgame

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Klungar posted:

Any advice for how to tackle Magic Challenges?

Short runs are key, in my experience. Start with all 4 challenges active, then cash out after a little bit; even if your score is only, like, 12, that has significant knock-on effects down the line.

Then, try a one-challenge run - for no more than 30 seconds. Try it with A1, then again with A2, and so on. Keep note of which one gets you the highest score, and which one nets you the lowest; IIRC, when I first started doing challenges, B1 was the single challenge I had the worst results with.

Then for a three-challenge run, select every challenge except the one you had the worst score with as a single challenge, because that's the one you're having the hardest time getting past, right? Again, a short run. Another for the 2-challenge run.

Short challenge runs matter because your 'total' challenge score is the 1-challenge score multiplied by the 2-challenge score and so on, so even small, unrewarding runs add up to big results. Then you chill out for a bit, spend whatever new platinum or fire or whatever that you've picked up, then do another series of short challenge runs to bump up your total score. Wash, rinse, repeat. Short runs are key. Incremental progress means you'll be going back and doing quick challenge runs a bunch, but before too long you pick up enough automation to take the sting out of it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Cute game, but I'm at cyan sigils and it's at the point where the resets are reasonably quick, but require an absurd amount of clicking (mostly for starting/stopping challenges and alternately pressing two different max all buttons), for which there's no foreseeable automation. Gonna give it a break for a while, unless I missed something obvious.

the automation is very near to you

You get auto max all for fire upgrades with the next sigil, and the sigil after that gets you automatic challenge score and a buy max button for Magic upgrades

I think some of that automation takes too long to get, because I felt that frustration too, but you're literally almost there

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Hughlander posted:

What's the RPS?

Ranged - Beats Shock/Tank - Loses Calvary
Calvary - Beats Ranged/Tank? - Loses Shock?
Shock - Beats Calvary/Tank? - Loses Range
Tank - Beats ?? - Loses ??

Per the "you can build an army now" popup when you first unlock a combat unit:

Tank is strong against Cav
Cav is strong against Ranged
Ranged is strong against Shock
Shock is strong against Tank

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Bleh I keep bouncing off the Zone 15 end to get the next progression milestone. I could reset to get the bonus from the first base but I am so close.

whenever I was in that situation, I would just save and come back to the game the next day, by which point my Compute power has typically increased enough to get me to the point where I can squeak by

That's my USI tip, I guess - don't be afraid to go take a nap

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

trip report: lmao it loving shreds things alive and it's expensive as gently caress, no wonder salvage buffs exist because you can't even start leveling it until like 1e10 (and wave 21 has mooks with "armor" that resists lasers so you have to use it anyway)

I unlocked the Kinetic Cannon at about the same time I unlocked the 2.0 versions of the laser weapons, and the Kinetic Cannon has the same upgrade costs as the next-gen lasers.

Also it fuckin' rocks, the first game I used it I didn't care that I couldn't buy any upgrades because I was scything through enemies left and right

And yeah, the game's pretty good about setting up reasons to use new weapons once they're available - fast-regen shield enemies show up at the same time as you unlock beams, juggernauts show up at the same time you unlock the charge laser, et cetera, so it makes sense that the KC will introduce enemies you need the KC to kill

In my playthrough, though, the kinetic cannon was where I sorta hit a wall and started going to longer runs, because my resource income wasn't quite high enough to buy the things I needed without a lot of grinding and banking. I'm pretty sure I could remedy that by minmaxing my V. Device shards and so on, but honestly I don't care enough so I'm just powering through like a big dummy, and that's gotten me to stage 26 so I'm doing pretty okay. The Heavy Cruiser is my friend, it lets me have two support modules and 4 guns, whee!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

jesus christ you're miles ahead of me, I'm currently at 21 with 4e7 base resource thingies to spend and it's 2e9 for level 2 lasers

(I think it's just that I didn't save up for the "produce more base resources" synth points spenders)

I also just hit Day 21 of my playthrough, so I wouldn't feel any pressure if I were you, friend

I have found that the Synth modules, if you devote the time to them, very much are worth the investment, though

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Bloodly posted:

I regret some of the synth points I spent on things like damage that could have gone on synthing or more module slots...they're a thinbg you can't take back/reassign.

this is true, but also, you'll get many, many more in time

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

what's a good ship setup for getting past sector 14? Right now my ship is 2 beam lasers, 1 gatling laser, and 2 continuous shields. it was a pain in the rear end to get this far but I finally got the first base

I've actually been running 1 bulk generator and 1 continuous generator for shields. I like the continuous generator's regeneration a lot, but its lower total amount means that in waves where you get enemies firing slow-but-powerful shots, you won't have enough shields to survive more than a volley or two before needing to retreat, and since those waves have a tendency to include beefy enemies like the juggernaut, you can't clear them all out fast enough to regenerate your shields before hitting the retreat threshold. The bulk gennies at least stand up to more shots, though you have to pick the options to reduce the regen delay if you're actively progressing forward.

IIRC what I was running for weapons in that region was 2 beams, 1 charge; the beams attack speedily enough to replace the gatling laser's gimmick, while the charge laser got me past the aforementioned big beefy bois. But also IIRC I spent a lot of time in that same area grinding out synth recipes and the new thing you just unlocked (which takes simply ages to really start to pay off but once it does it pays off handsomely). This was like a week and a half ago for me, though, so if someone who's been there more recently chimes in with better advice, listen to them instead.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

yeah Warp starts off slooooowwwww but you start racking up points in fairly short order; the limiter is honestly the speed at which your coils fill, but it looks like there are ways to bump that up as well. Once you open up a few more warp locations warps get very lucrative very quickly in my experience

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

pixaal posted:

If you are sitting at the computer you can just overload the reactor, it's 2x to run +1 and 3x to run +2 but it's not that bad if you have void power mod active you should be able to handle it no problem. This lets you idle at a higher sector making the bonus ones worth all the more.

Level your void power modules a bit and this gets lucrative; these days I typically have my reactor running with every boost save Engine while I grind, and it's just a matter of adjusting my levels a bit so I don't let myself go negative. This is probably suboptimal but luckily I don't actually care that much

Another thing that has helped a bunch is leaning hard into Synthing bonuses; the jump in tiers is significant, and so focusing some effort on pouring resources into Synthing for a little while can make a big difference in your progression.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm stuck on the sector 20 boss. Even with the void boost and offense and defense modules at Tier 3 6/10, I can barely even scratch it. I just want kinetic cannons :( What's the play to get past this?

from memory, I think the way I got past it was... well, more grinding. More compute power, more synth'd resources, more module levels.If the boss is your big hurdle, make sure your V. Device shards are arranged to maximize your combat stats, even if that requires a detour from your usual routes like boosting salvage or whatever; similarly, don't be afraid to spend some time with the Void Power Max module active so you can bank enough VP to get a few more levels to the Damage and Shield reactor settings. Then you can reshuffle your power around, turning off everything but damage and shields and cranking those to the max. You don't even have to care if you're spending more VP than you get; you just have to last long enough to get past that boss, after all.

if you still can't make it, try using your Research Shard and pumping up the research bonus from the reactor (I don't think you have the Research Synth module yet, but if you do go ahead and use that too, why not), then focusing on the shard-boosted research and pushing for as many researches completed as you can manage. This was actually a game-changer for me once I realized that 24 hours of my usual "spread the bonuses around and get everything going well" progress was equal to about ten or fifteen minutes of "go whole hog on Research" progress.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Agent355 posted:

You have to check for updates, it runs well though so I've been using it.

Also I LOOOVE getting infinite resource production in USI. It feels so insanely satisfying to be able to take a resource you've been dealing with managing for a few days and then go 'okay, got enough of that forever'. Even if functionally it just gets replaced by a blue version of itself.

It's incredibly satisfying every time but you have to wait longer and longer each time

so basically like literally every idle game mechanic

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Zotix posted:

I just unlocked HC, retrofit, and T2 weapons this morning all at once. Is it recommended to switch to T2 right away? If so what weapon load out are you guys using with the HC? I suppose I should have staggered these upgrades but it is what it is. Maybe 3 t2 beams and 1 kinetic? Or 2/2?

Also with having 2 utility slots it looks like you can't double up on synth or computer so retro loses a bit of value there since I guess I just run one of each and call it a day.

Hey, you unlocked the same big raft of upgrades at once as I did, good on ya

I switched to 2.0 right away and never looked back; it took me forever to afford any upgrades but I didn't need them; for a while I was running 1 beam and 3 kinetics, but that gets diminishing returns after a while because the kinetic cannons don't seem to ramp up in effective damage quite as well as the lasers do. So for a while I was running 1 beam, 1 charge laser, and 2 kinetics; one of the latter kinetics I swapped out for a Bomb Launcher once I unlocked that. That's gotten me to 31 on my current run, so I'm pretty pleased with it. I might get better results by focusing more, but the game keeps throwing different enemy types at you so I find it easier to generalize a little.

The retrofits will, in pretty short order, stop being about choosing better weapons and start being about choosing better support modules, especially once you unlock the third one (for Reactors); my advice is to stick with Computer and Synth support for the first chunk of a run, then once you've built up a good set of bonuses from Compute (trivial once you unlock the second page of Compute ranks) swap that support out for another. But that's a later down the road issue right now for you.

EDIT: another thought strikes me, so I'll put it here and avoid doubleposting. I have found it extremely worthwhile to spend a portion of each run focusing on one single upgrade type, especially now that I have to juggle my support slots. Spend like an hour or two grinding Research, for instance, pouring as much Reactor power into boosting it as possible, ranking up the Research module in Synth, making sure my Research Shard is in the right spot. Do that until you're out of researches in a relatively easy to achieve timeframe, then turn all that poo poo off. Focus on Computing instead, or on Synthing, or on boosting your Reactor so you can afford a few more ranks of each upgrade, et cetera. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I've found that vastly more efficient (and less boring to play) than trying to be a little bit good at everything at the same time.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 5, 2023

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

BTW if warp point growth feels really slow, just know that your income increases rapidly. I've had warp unlocked for a couple weeks now IIRC and I'm getting ~100 points per warp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

So I got base 1 in USI but it is insanely slow to develop, this is my first real speedbump is there something I'm missing beyond upgrade the squares when I get the chance? I don't see any mods/research that helps it.

No, you've got it. The first base takes time before it's remotely useful - but once you've got a couple of components, it gets useful in a hurry. There are things that'll get unlocked down the road that will speed base production up, but when you just get them, they're slow to develop. Sucks, but c'est la guerre.