Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

just another posted:

Baudrillard wrote about a state of being called hyperreality wherein you can no longer differentiate between what is real and what is simulation. The Matrix references it directly because it's described in his book Simulacra and Simulation, and this is also the book Neo's hollowed out to hide his disks at the start of it. Baudrillard didn't necessarily mean full-on Matrix simulation; more like we live in a world where we've lost touch with material reality, and everything is relational and relative and fluid (e.g. if you work in a factory, being a "factory worker" is now an identity unto itself and not a description of your relationship to the means of production).

Cartoon Man posted:

That trailer breakdown was really cool, if even half the theories posed are true, I’m excited. I like the idea of Neo working at a company making Matrix videogames and movies based on his past life in the first three movies.
Death to Allegra Geller! Death to eXistenZ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
MO was kinda interesting in how they had to expand on the renegade programs in order to have enough factions for you to play, and make it possible for people to hack the Matrix in real time, from inside the Matrix, so that they could have a Wizard class.

I also remember that you could punt kick someone in the crotch from behind, and this was an entire skill path you could train up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's in the first movie. Morpheus says that human beings generate bioelectricity and heat which, combined with a form of fusion, provides all the energy they'll ever need. Of course, that makes no sense.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you were talking about, say, some technobabble about the deflector dish in an episode of Star Trek, I'd agree with you. But that's pretty silly advice for a movie where the hero hides his hacking software in a copy of Simulacra and Simulation, which his mentor then quotes.

It's very obvious that the humans do not entirely understand the Machines' reasons for creating and maintaining the Matrix, and might be totally off-base.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

When Neo challenges The Architect about his threat to end all human life, he says "there are levels of survival we're willing to accept", which seems to indicate that the power generated from humans is some sort of luxury thing that isn't totally necessary to the survival of the Machines.
At the time, I was already mentally replacing "humans are batteries" with "humans are a server network." So I imagined that killing all the humans would reduce the Machines to a kind of extreme poverty that we can't imagine, where they'd actually have to endure a diminishing of their sense of self.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

checkplease posted:

He will end all class struggle in the matrix by freeing everyone from it.

And then they'll get flushed down a giant toilet and drown

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Smith has zero reason to lie to Morpheus, who is about to die along with Zion. If we suppose that he's feeding false intel to people the Machines are going to exterminate tomorrow, nothing makes sense.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"I want to kill all your friends so I can quit my lovely job" is a hell of a persuasion technique

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Abner Assington posted:

The author sounds like a tragically unfun person.
Most of the essay is just complaining that what was cool in 1999 isn't cool now. He wraps it up by praising Blade for doing precisely the same stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"Oligarch" is an interesting choice. Like I'm all for anticapitalism, but if they're oligarchs, what kind of wealth do they have? Is there money? Can the Merovingian earn enough $Coppertops to join the Oligarchy?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Something the Architect could not predict: a Wife Guy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

One of the biggest problems in Matrix is that they kept the same actors for the matrix and real-world scenes, when it really doesn’t make sense for the pale dude in the pod and his digital self to both look like Keanu Reeves.

That’s where we should have switched actors and have Neo played by Lucy Liu or something for the remainder of the film.
Jennifer Tilly

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Shiroc posted:

Trinity's whole backstory is unclear but she reads heavily as someone just slightly farther along figuring themselves out than Neo. Neo is crushing on her because of that. Trinity is crushing on Neo because she seems so much of herself in him and the exciting potential for what he could become once he fully finds himself.
The X-Men have been presented and interpreted as allegorical to a lot of marginalized groups, but Wolverine himself is not a Jewish black gay man.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

porfiria posted:

Can an agent possess a monkey
There are levels of survival we are willing to accept.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So then nobody in Zion would be trans, or they would just gender affirm in a different way?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

Given that the world outside the Matrix seems like a flora\fauna\sunless hellhole where people subsist on mysterious pastes, I'm guessing fertility rates aren't through the roof.
It has everything the body needs!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Considering what they've done to Burning Man, that really tracks.

Neo Rasa posted:

This also made me wonder like, is every awakening the as personalized as Neo's? Like Morpheus is pretty zealous about him being THE ONE, Trinity has a thing for him, etc., so that may have effected their process. Like maybe or run of the mill folks there's less like run-ins with the agents or after a tedious build up they have enough people at the tipping point that folks are getting awakened at a steady rate now. Neo the average day job guy in the Matrix who's also a big-time hacker was actively reading up on Morpheus before getting the call, so like is a person in the Matrix thinking "hey maybe this Morpheus guy that keeps eluding the police has some good ideas I'm going to look into that" the thing that sets off the "go in and awaken this person" alert or whatever?
Apoc was also a hacker. As for everyone else, I guess you connect with Morpheus by loving around on the right Usenet groups or whatever. Most people probably don't set off any alarms that have them evading Agents, but they apparently all have the experience where Morpheus lures them to a cool goth apartment and offers them drugs.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 30, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Shiroc, imagine for a moment that we're in a different world, where everyone in this thread is posting the way that you want them to post. Could you tell me a little about what that looks like? Please note that I'm not asking you to list things you don't want.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
From my point of view, the conversation between Ferrinus and SMG here is mostly about getting to the bottom of the material conditions. YMMV. I have more to say, but frankly I don't want to spit out something ill-considered and poorly-worded because I thought I had to cram an effortpost into the time it takes my pizza to finish cooking.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

It's really the opposite; Marx's rivals produced analysis so far from material concerns that it failed to educate or agitate anyone. That's why there have been multiple Marxist revolutions but no Proudhonian ones.
Another cryptofascist trying to erase the revolutionary struggle against bedtime, I see.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

This is like saying that corrections officers "serve" the leaders of the white nationalist prison gangs in specific.
They frequently do

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

It's also really fun how most of the time the squids are taking it super easy on the humans and only occasionally shooting their lasers
The Zion team has played this mission HOW many times and they're still leaving the difficulty on Casual?!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The dude is explicitly taking delight in deadnaming a character. You're not going to win this. Just try to ignore them.
Death to Th*m*s *nd*rs*n! Death to eXistenZ!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The speculation on what's going on in Lana W's head and her relationship with WB is strange to me. I doubt anyone is given free reign to spend $190 million of their boss's money to gently caress around and make fun of the boss.

Random criticism: the way Neo manifests his powers by just Force Pushing baddies around struck me as very lazy and unimaginative.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I can only assume that prisoners of the Matrix are allowed to form relationships and mate, and the Machines respond by growing clones from their tissue samples. They can't just grow kids and assign them to people who think they're pregnant; if they did, the freed prisoners wouldn't look anything like their avatars. It's possible that every human pairing was specifically engineered, but I don't see any evidence that the Machines dedicated that degree of surveillance and control on every single person in the Matrix.

The Machines are at the mercy of the capitalist system they keep creating, in which human society isn't sustainable and self-reproducing in the long term.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

We both know the alien socioeconomics because they're revealed less than halfway through the first movie: imprisoned humans power the machine civilization, but only if they're kept in a certain kind of dreaming sleep. This is explained in the first movie and never contradicted. The takeaway isn't that matrix poverty is illusory (because, in the world of the matrix, it will literally kill you whether or not it is mediated through a computer simulation), but that it's artificial. The poor are only "always" with us because of how our economy has been constructed. That doesn't mean there isn't a functioning economy, "real" jobs, and so on, within the matrix, just that the true relations of production and force that maintain this system are obfuscated from you and your boss both, just like in real life.
I haven't done the reading to keep up with the conversation, so this is just a random observation: Neo gets his noodles from the kitchen at the noodle place. The noodle chef gets them from a Sysco truck. Sysco gets them from a food factory, which gets ingredients from the farms. At what point does the supply chain vanish, and the Machines are just manifesting goods in the Matrix? Given that the Matrix seems to be made up of discrete, vague locations like "The City" and "The Mountains," I imagine that they're not simulating wheat fields and rice paddies. At the peak of our civilization, all that obscene labour is carefully hidden.

I also wonder about the various barriers that must exist to keep people from traveling out of bounds. The common example is what happens if Neo wants to take a plane to Heathrow Airport and look for clues as to Morpheus' whereabouts. Does the UK exist as some kind of Potemkin village, with a few landmarks that you can visit?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

HorseLord posted:

I live next to a city in real life, Nijmegen. It is normal for people to refer to "the city" in conversations, because we have the shared context that "the city" is Nijmegen. It doesn't mean that only one city exists.

I don't understand why you would reach for this unusual interpretation of normal English speech and use it to theory craft that only one city exists, especially when the very first time we see Neo we learn that Morpheus is an internationally wanted criminal who has been identified in heathrow airport. Which is in London, which is not the city that the movie takes place in, and is also in a different country.
I'm a fan of just reading the movie instead of relying on ancillary materials, but we do know that this was a deliberate choice. Either way, it's not absent from the film. Most notably, the set designers were told to use generic signage so that scenes couldn't be identified as happening in any particular city. Everything is City Waste, City Metro, City Rail, etc. The Heart O' The City Hotel was originally called Heart of Chicago in the script; this was changed.

(I haven't seen the sequels for a while, but I believe there are shots of Neo flying over an impossibly vast urban skyline.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

HorseLord posted:

I really don't understand why people make such unnecessary and complicated theories based on half remembrances, misremembrances, and trying to scrape elaborate meanings out of nonspecific street signage that's on screen for 2 frames. The trucks the camera goes under in the freeway chase have placeholder graphics where the chassis should be. Does that imply something about how cars work in the matrix? No! it means the movie is nearly 20 years old and the CGI is sometimes very poo poo!

Or maybe now we can extend this "understanding" of these movies to other media. Every newspaper prop in every episode of every tv show is identical going back decades, unless it is specifically relevant to the plot. This must mean that Every epsiode of every tv show that doesn't use a newspaper article as a plot element must all secretly be in a shared canon and all take place on the same day.
You're going back and forth and saying that we should make a very strict reading of some things onscreen but not others.

In the process of making the film, they deliberately kept some references to specific places (Heathrow Airport, Wabash Avenue, etc.) but expunged the actual features of the territory. One set designer mentioned that, as is standard, they made fake decals for trucks so that they couldn't get sued by some business. Cream of Wheat was changed to Tasty Wheat. But there's no purely practical reason to hide a Chicago Transit Authority sign.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 7, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's the end of the 90s. In the words of Martin Blank, governments are just public relations theory at this point.

HorseLord posted:

I'm not going back and forth at all. I'm pointing out that some things are having meaning attributed to them where there is none.
If it means nothing, why did they bother spending time and money on it?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 7, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

HorseLord posted:

Maybe you should read what I wrote again? I'm not going to rewrite it, so I'll just copy and paste:
1. Don't be a jerk.

2. You said yourself that Morpheus was spotted in a specific location and that they travel to other specific locations. Why go through the trouble to make everything look like an unnamed City if it isn't one? The characters instantly appear in various locations across the Matrix; why hide that the action is taking place across multiple cities? Why change the names and signs but keep the verbal references to specific places in Chicago and London?

3. Here, I can be a jerk too: HorseLord believes that The Dark Knight Rises is about an alternate timeline where London, NYC, Pittsburgh, and LA are connected into one giant Judge Dredd style megatropolis called Gotham City.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 7, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

HorseLord posted:

I answered your question and all you had to do was read it.
Your answer is a mix of "it doesn't mean anything" and...bad. Movies are set in one major city using locations from another major city all the time. Even television shows set in a single city are typically ridiculous to the people who live there. They edited out the Sydney Opera House, but the notion that the Wachowskis had to extensively nerd-proof their movie is a strange one.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Growing up in the "Perpetual 90s" would produce very, very different kinds of people then our "real" world did.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 7, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

HorseLord posted:

What does not matter is what the name of that story location is.
It's the first word of the thread title!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Trinity was a program until she was 45 years old?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It is. But it's not cosplaying or an expression of bigotry, which is what you said.
I get what you're saying, but structural racism is still racism, without regard for whether or not some manager's personal animus is behind it.

Like, how do you think American-style sack suits became the Professional Norm all over the world, including countries where people where kimonos or thawbs?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 13, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Someone please photoshop the reveal of Morpheus but with a milk mustache
This is an affront to everything The Meatrix stood for.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Like, what’s up with the imagery of the ‘bots’ committing mass suicide? How do you square that with the reading that they represent transphobic people?
I can dream, can't I?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Nebalebadingdong posted:

In the Matrix, me, Jeff Bezos, a homeless person and a Foxconn worker are all being exploited at the exact same rate, right? Like, Bezos could wake up and fight the machines and then go back inside to continue owning Amazon. Seems like a poor metaphor for capitalism.
I believe that the Machines are working for Jeff Bezos...in the same sense that e.g. the government is working for you and me and anyone who buys bananas when they terrorize Honduras and Guatemala to keep banana prices low. We don't make the decisions, they're not accountable to us, they keep us in the dark because we might disagree and rebel against it, but it materially benefits us. (They're definitely not working for the homeless person, for whom living on a hovercraft, wearing rags, and eating Cream of Wheat would actually be a material improvement.)

The question I can't get past is why the Machines are doing any of this, because it can't be for our precious British thermal units. If you have energy from fusion, you have energy from fusion.

I can only assume that they're not farming energy that they get from making people miserable, they're farming the misery itself. Okay, so why are they doing that? I can only guess that they're stuck in the same rut we are, trapped in the logic of the late-capitalist system, and studying humanity in the hopes of learning things that will allow them to break the cycle and make real progress.

It's not working, probably because they're assuming that the late 1990s was the peak of human civilization. It's like the scientists who studied wolves in captivity, assuming they were seeing their "natural" behaviour in their "natural" environment, not realizing that they were actively loving up their social dynamcis the whole time. This generated a lot of wrongheaded thinking about "alphas and betas." Hm.

Perhaps the Machines have based their whole economy on mining psychic cryptocurrency, arbitrarily assigning it value and using this value-form to measure wealth and social status among themselves. Of course none of this data is actually useful, or in any case isn't being interpreted correctly, so it's totally disconnected from the actual economy of building fusion plants and spider robots and squid robots and metal womb pods. Which is why the Machines were facing an energy crisis.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yeah, I mean if you take away the bot element they're just people working for the bad guy. Maybe they're assholes, maybe they have their reasons, maybe they're the machine equivalent of sheeple, maybe they're slaves in their own right, etc.

In any case, it's not like the previous films had an issue with the protagonists blowing people like that away, and so be it.
This is what I don't get. The first film is already saying that a revolutionary has to be prepared to kill not just police, not just loser rent-a-cops, but even poor little old ladies and homeless people, if they're going to snitch you out to the police.

Revealing that some people are just NPCs seems like a regression from that. (It comes across like a videogamey conceit, where they realized that they need some "low-level" enemies for the heroes to beat up.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The power plant explanation would make sense to me if the prisoners were literally sleepwalking while working alongside the spider robots.

I rewatched the movie this past weekend and enjoyed it more the second time. I still felt like depicting Neo's awakening power as just telekinesis and blinding light was very uninspired, as was the zombie imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've thought about how Machines must view humans. As prisoners, or perhaps as abusive parents they nonetheless feel bound to care for in our dotage. Prisoners serve are instrumental to capital in various ways, though they're not performing productive labour just by being in a prison.

The best analogy, if it's even an analogy, might be to lab animals. I suppose that if a rabbit being used to make antibodies is performing labour, so are the prisoners in the Matrix. I would compare them to chickens laying eggs, too, but humans aren't a domestic species.