Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Entropic posted:

Hand of Justice: actual repeatable removal but it’s a 6 mana rare and requires 3 other white creatures to activate. Actually probably an unbeatable bomb in FE limited.

I thought Fallen Empires didn't even have rares? Or I could be wrong. I remember there was something confusing about how they did rarity sheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Am I missing something or is it impossible to do 100 card historic brawl with friends on MGTA right now? Seems like the only brawl option is standard. Hope that opens up when the queue does at the end of the month

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Those leaks are cool. Feel like they sort of add credence to a (possibly cyberpunk?) Kamigawa set and a Shandalar set for next year.

edit: what's with the weird flavor text on Carpet of Flowers onward? Can't tell if they're just supposed to be cool evocative sentence fragments or if they're a reference to something

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

They announced special draft packs coming in 2022 that combine both new Innistrad sets into one draft format with new alt arts and poo poo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bugsy posted:

Crime plane is my guess for the shard groups to come back as well, but I cant really see a bant crime family run by a demon. Maybe its the leftovers of the angels that originally built the city?

I could see Bant as the colors for like a "completely legitimate" crime family, maybe one heavily integrated with the government and police of the city itself

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He was the antagonist since he triggered the whole mess by banishing Lukka, but Lukka was the one who decided to use his powers to manipulate the Ozolith and take control over all the monsters. He then tried to destroy his home city with the monsters to show them how effective they would be at protecting it.

I thought Oko was (probably) the unnamed "meddler" who hosed up the Ozolith?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It has been many many years since I've listened to Limited Resources but doing these historic drafts in MGTA recently for sets I've never played, I appreciated their analysis lens of "how does this card help me when I'm behind, how does this card help me when I'm ahead, how does it help me when I'm at parity?" -- I feel like at the most basic level, if you can make a case for a card in at least 2 out of 3 of those game states, it might be a decent draft pick

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Problem with this attitude is when you run into a high synergy set or a set with engine cards like Ikoria or Kaladesh, you can end up drafting cards instead of a deck which is not ideal

Yeah that's fair, I definitely benefited from reading up on draft guides for both those sets. I do find it to be more helpful as a baseline newbie card evaluation strategy than BREAD though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Anyone playing standard 2022 on arena? I have the wildcards for either Mardu Sacrifice or Orzhov Control and both seem pretty fun. The mythics I'd be crafting would be Extus and Kaya, respectively, in case the potential staying power of either of those cards is a factor you'd have me consider

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Is the MTGA Tinkerer's Cube draft fun? Looks like that's coming back this week. I really really never want to draft AFR again... I just went 7-2 with an Azorius deck and literally every single match would have went to time if we were playing paper Magic. One game I finished Dungeon of the Mad Mage twice, and I didn't even have a lot of venture triggers.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sit on my Jace posted:

If the spell or ability is directly causing you to play the card, it ignores timing restrictions. If the spell or ability gives you the ability to play a card but doesn't instruct you to play it as part of its resolution, like in the examples you gave, you still have to obey timing restrictions.

How does that track with the "Exile the top two cards of your library. You may play them." room in Dungeon of the Mad Mage? At least on Arena, it definitely lets you ignore timing restrictions and play creatures mid-combat or whenever else you get a venture trigger.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Welcome! I'm pretty sure there is or at least used to be a setting somewhere that let you bypass the tutorial and jump forward with all the free decks unlocked.

It gives you all the really basic monocolored decks but you still have to complete daily "color challenge" quests for the dual color ones that have some decent cards. It sounds like OP is running up against a bug -- there have been quite a few since the big patch last week.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Don't know if there's a specific example they're talking about but this:

https://twitter.com/claire_the_egg/status/1432760109399224323?s=21

Honestly MTGA feels so far removed from playing with another real person to me that there's not much I'd consider "poor sportsmanship" outside of like, intentional slow play to make your opponent want to concede

edit: Whoops missed a whole page sorry

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Huh, that's interesting there are transform cards that aren't tied to the Daybound/Nightbound mechanic, when I saw that I initially thought they'd be going all in on it.

What do you guys think the odds are that we see the day/night thing as a "block mechanic" like treasure tokens that persists through the next couple sets? I could see an argument for it thematically working for a cyberpunk kamigawa set and a noir gangster set if they think they can get enough mechanical mileage out of it. Not really sure about its relevance on Dominara though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

New token drawback keyword is "decayed" (can't block, sacrifice it at EOT if it attacked)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://twitter.com/chuckkallenbach/status/1434171682894221313?s=21

Did Wizards ban devs from competing games from playing MTG competitively or something? Not sure what this guy or LSV is alluding to

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sickening posted:

Organized play has no announced future.

Ohhhhh gotcha, that makes more sense. I was reading too much into the Direwolf part

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

What is up with the pricing for the Innistrad preorders on MTGA? Unless I'm missing something, in the Play Bundle, it's $50 for 3 premier draft tokens and 1 sealed token (haven't played sealed before but looks like an entry usually costs 2k gems), which would cost 6,500 gems normally, plus some cosmetics and one copy of a lovely looking planeswalker. Or you could spend that $50 on gems in the shop and get 9,200. Like the $50-for-50-packs deal in the other bundle isn't great but at least you come out on top a little bit. The other one is so bad it feels like I'm missing something.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Obviously we don't have access to sales data but what sets are perceived to be big "popularity spikes" for Magic? Like for example it's always been my understanding that when Duels of the Planeswalkers/the 2010 core set came out it was a huge boost for the game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Green is looking very good

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

YggdrasilTM posted:

Ambicious Farmhand - 1W

Creature - Human Peasant

When ~ enters the battlefield, search your library for a basic Plains and put it into your hand, then shuffle.

Coven 1WW: Transform ~. Activate this only if you control three creatures with different powers.

1/1

Consummated Cathar

Creature - Human Knight

Lifelink

3/3

Uncommon if anyone was wondering for limited purposes. This is a card I'd be pretty happy to draft

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

babypolis posted:

so far the power level of the commons and uncommons seems to be tru the roof. really excited about drafting this set

Have we seen common dual lands or anything yet? Right now without treasure we're looking at less manabase support than AFR even

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

I'd be surprised if we don't see something because there seems to be hints of a subtheme of 'the more colors the better' in some cards, like the Dragon that deals damage equal to how many color permanents you have in play when it dies. (Or maybe thats a one off card?)

I get the impression that's mostly seeding for later sets in the rotation; we know Streets of New Capenna will have a 3-color faction theme.

edit: drat also I just realized I misread Moonveil Regent; I thought it drew cards based on the number colors of mana you used to cast the spell and not for the number of colors in the spell itself. Still really good but not as insane with treasure tokens as I thought it would be

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The white adversary is the only one where you get jack poo poo if your opponent kills you after you pay the cost, right?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Unnatural Moonrise
RG
Sorcery
It becomes night. Until end of turn, target creature gets +1/+0, trample and "whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw a card."
Flashback 2RG

I never really played with transform cards before, but I guess this means spells don't fizzle if their target transforms, right? So you can target a werewolf you control, have it flip into night mode, and it will keep the trample/attack boost/curiosity effect?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Of course it works, that's literally the primary use case. That is the most obvious reason to cast this.

Well yeah the card itself made that pretty clear for me, but before that I assumed it was worked like a blink effect. I think my only previous exposure to transform cards was the Origins planeswalkers which, as mentioned upthread, were implemented differently for Planeswalkers reasons

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I don't think there's going to be any super relevant cost reduction stuff in standard that I can think of but that X effect is a really clever way to boost the flashback value while nerfing casting poo poo for free

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

I don't really care that Sphere of Annihilation is basically a better version of this that already sees no play, that name and art is just :kiss:

Even if you don't get much value out of the effect on future turns, a black sweeper that potentially gains you some life sounds really sweet in some matchups

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Can't tell what I'm looking at here

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Trying to figure out if this can do anything stupid in Standard. The only free artifact sac outlet I can think of is Rust Monster, and there aren't many colorless cards with abusable ETBs. Spare Supplies turns this into "Pay 2 life: Draw a card" I guess? Not really a lot of antics I can come up with

edit: Oh wait I thought it let you straight up cast a spell from your graveyard with the mana but I think I misunderstood, it's only stuff like flashback and disturb and Ebondeath huh?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's gonna be like 4pm EST tomorrow lol we got a while

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I would like Dubai some booster packs

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Framboise posted:

Wait, Midnight Hunt is already coming out? I feel like the D&D set literally just came out a couple weeks ago. (I know it's been a bit longer than that, but still.)

The next set after that will come out on November 19th lol, it's crazy. Believe it goes back to every 3~ months after that, though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DangerDongs posted:

So pretty sure R/G werewolves is going to be gas. Just threw a list together with what I have without fully fleshing out the rares and it's mean.

You still get Den of the bugbear and Faceless Haven coupled with cheap 1 mana removal.

Post that poo poo! Probably gonna at least burn through my draft tokens before I look at putting anything constructed together, but I'm curious about what people are playing. Doesn't seem like the deck tracker sites have enough data for anything yet

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Thanks! That looks fun. Yeah I would be shocked if Stormseeker is something you'd regret spending a few wildcards on, but I know it's impossible to tell at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

What is the lore for Rise of the Ants? Are there any Ant cards in the other Innistrad sets? Are there just giant ants now because gently caress you Innistradians your plane sucks? They don't seem to be connected to the celestus or the planeswalkers or the innistrad tribals at all.

Was wondering about this too lol. Nice draft card though!