Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Crankit posted:

What is the likely brex it outcome now?

loving hellworld.

AKA:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mebh posted:

So uh. Was the scumm engine discworld point and click based off elements of "Guards! Guards!"? Because this is kind of uncanny.

Nice to be reading Pratchett again. I'd really missed how much his general prose just makes me smile.

"That doesn't work."

Still got a fondness for that game, it's obviously not an accurate representation of what Discworld was and would become, but it's still got some pretty funny dialogue.

Nobby: "[Carrot]'s the first volunteer to the watch we've had in decades. Only, he's bit literal-minded on account of the fact he's a dwarf"
Rincewind: "A Dwarf!? He's seven foot tall!"
Nobby: "He's the tallest Dwarf in the world."
Carrot: "I lied about my height, see."
Rincewind: "A tall Dwarf?"
Nobby: "It's alright, he's growing out of it."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

"Shreddddder! From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs!"
/

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Libdems: Stop calling us Tories! :qq:

Also Libdems:

"General election: Lib Dems draw up target list for local pacts with Remain Tories posted:

The Liberal Democrats could stand aside in key seats to help the re-election of Conservative MPs opposed to a no-deal Brexit.

Senior party insiders have been discreetly drawing up a list of constituencies where support from Lib Dem voters could be critical.

Jo Swinson, the Lib Dem leader, wants to maximise the number of MPs opposed to no-deal who would be returned to the Commons in a snap election before before October 31.

Tory MPs who vote in favour of blocking no-deal face being deselected by their party as Boris Johnson steps up pressure to persuade Brussels to offer him a better Brexit deal. Some prominent rebels, including Rory Stuart, who stood against Boris Johnson in the party leadership election, are considering standing as independent Conservatives…

[e]:
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1168825578121846785
Hoey voting with the government. Shocking, I know.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 3, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

RubberJohnny posted:

That link 404s

Don't know why it's not properly redirecting.

Here's the quickest twitter link I could find:
https://twitter.com/GeorgeAylett/status/1168812824392556544

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I'm always on the wrong drat shift for these things - but coming here and seeing nearly 1000 new replies, something big had happened :getin:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fuckin' :laffo:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That Italian Guy posted:

Inspiration struck me:

:discourse:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1169200729355145216?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
"Surrender Bill"

"Momentum Activists"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Didn't think it was possible for Johnson to be worse than May loving christ :lol:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CyberPingu posted:

Whats the timeline for today if anyone has it to hand?

quote:

11.30am: The Commons sitting starts with Welsh questions.

12pm: Boris Johnson takes PMQs. This will be his first PMQs as prime minister. Given that parliament may well be prorogued by next Wednesday, and that if there is an early election he could lose, it could be his last one too.

Around 12.50pm: Sajid Javid, the chancellor, makes a Commons statement about the spending review.

3pm: MPs begin the debate on Hilary Benn’s bill designed to rule out a no-deal Brexit on 31 October.

Around 3.30pm: Peers start debating a business motion tabled by Labour designed to ensure that, if the Benn bill gets to the Lords, it will complete its passage through the house by 5pm on Friday.

5pm: MPs vote for the second reading of the bill. That is a yes/no vote on whether it should go ahead. After that MPs will spend two hours debating amendments to the bill.

7pm: MPs vote on amendments to the bill and for its third reading. There are likely to be several votes, each one taking 15 minutes.

Mid-evening: After voting on the Benn bill is finished MPs will have a 90-minute debate on Boris Johnson’s motion saying “that there shall be an early election”. The motion may well pass but the opposition parties are not voting in favour (because they want the Benn bill passed before they agree to an early election), and so Johnson is not expected to get the two-thirds majority needed under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act for an early election to go ahead.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
:lol: Johnson getting bollocked by Bercow for refering to Corbyn by name (and not "Right Honourable"). He really is loving shook.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Johnson really trying to push that "Surrender Bill" meme.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

yeah its gonna be an orchestrated push with the fash shitrags i assume

Clearly. Same with demanding that Corbyn support an election on the 15th October. While also CORBYN BAD. :byodood:

Because there's no way they could spin this shitshow as anything other than bad without some soundbytes. Like, watching it, it's self evident just how loving poo poo he is.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Barry Foster posted:

gently caress Singh Dhesi is spitting fire

Yeah loving hell!

Of course, Johnson is deflecting with the predicted "B-but Labour antisemitism!", and "Oh, well actually, I've got muslim ancestors so it's fine".

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/ThyKingdomScum/status/1085265906538872840

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

[Javid] says the country still needs to live within its means. And he will still need to make difficult choices.

Cameron & Osbourne: Austerity is on.
~Few years later~
May: Austerity is over!
Hammond: Austerity is still on.
~Austerity continues~
Johnson and Javid: Austerity continues!

[e]: The Saj's hero, Ayn Rand ironically recieves an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters in 1963. Many years later the Saj apparently woos his wife by reading Rand. A few years later, she threatens to divorce him if he doesn't stop loving reading Rand aloud to her.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 4, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Calico Heart posted:

LOL i never thought I'd ever see a less consequential head of state than Theresa May but here we loving go

and I couldn't wish it on a better person. All his years of pretending to be a clown ended up amounting to nothing, It's delicious.

I thought May spending some of her life dreaming to be PM, and it turning out to be an ongoing nightmarish trainwreck hell of her own devising was funny.

If it gets to the stage where Johnson has to eat loving poo poo after a life time of clearly, desperately, wanting to be the Neo Churchill, I don't think I'll ever stop laughing.

I legit cannot believe how quickly he's hosed up his image in such a short amount of time. It took a failed election for May to look a shambling loving wreck; Johnson barely managed five minutes. :lol:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 5, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/1169344160702312448

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/Claire_Phipps/status/1169527194101719040

I know it's typical of the Scum, but yikes.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Doccykins posted:

BLUE ON BLUE :unsmigghh:

Tesseraction posted:

lol it seems The got punched in the dick on Nick Robinson's show this morning:

:getin:

Quoth Pratchett:

quote:

Sometimes it’s like watching a wasp land on a stinging nettle: someone’s going to get stung and you don’t care.

---
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1169400093256159233

I think we know where the rest are :butt:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

This is the Brexit Sajid Javid wants.

Breakfast Meanz Beanfast.
---

Unrelated, there's quite an eclectic set of hashtags today.

Democracy is DEAD is pretty great for some salty gammon tears.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

:golfclap:

kanonvandekempen posted:

What is the UK thread's opinion on Skins? I never saw it during its original airing and I've seen it being pushed to me on Netflix.

Haven't watched it since its original run, but the kind of horny melodrama was okay for the first series or so, and then got bored with it. Now its only notable when an familiar-faced, 30-something British actor pops up from somewhere, and it turns out I recognise them from being in Skins at some point.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Took me a moment :lol:

Who's even left in the remains of CUKTIG now? Just Soubry, Chris Lesie, and Gapes?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azza Bamboo posted:

The worst Jojo

"Your next line is; 'I'm going to call a general election. You a cholrinated chicken, Corbyn?'"
"I'm going to call a general election. You a cholrinated chicken, Corbyn?.......Nani!? (How could he predict my cunning plan formulated by Cummings!?)
ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ "I stacked the whole deck, PM piss baby!"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 5, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jose posted:

It's truly incredible how disconnected Westminster's journalists are from everyone else

Relatedly, John Nosferatu thinking that actually that Boris shitshow was actually him owning Corbyn.
https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1169229773870116866

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn could have given Boris Johnson a hard time at his first Prime Minister’s Questions. He asked tough questions about the consequences of a no-deal Brexit, and the prime minister conspicuously failed to answer.

But it was Johnson who actually won the exchanges easily because he challenged Corbyn on whether he wanted an election on 15 October – “or is he frit?” Johnson knows that the Labour leader wants an election but is being held back by his MPs, who are urging him to make life hard for the prime minister by refusing to vote for it.

Johnson returned to the theme repeatedly, calling Corbyn a “chlorinated chicken”, and was unexpectedly supported by Ian Blackford of the Scottish National Party, who quoted the opinion polls in Scotland and said: “If he wants an election, enable the bill and bring it on.”

It's literally an article from bizarro land.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 5, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1169575063152144384

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Yeah, but here's their reason:

quote:

MPs to be asked again on Monday to vote for early election, Rees-Mogg says

Jacob Rees-Mogg, the leader of the Commons, has just told MPs that on Monday the government will hold a second vote on having an early general election.

There was a vote last night that was passed, but without the two-thirds majority needed for the vote to lead to an early general election (two thirds of all MPs would have to vote for one, not just two thirds of MPs participating in the division).

Under Commons rules the government is not meant to put motions to a vote if they have already been defeated. But government sources say that this would not apply next week because Labour abstained last night on the grounds that the Benn bill, designed to stop a no-deal Brexit on 31 October, was not yet law. But Monday next week that bill should be law, so the circumstances will have changed, justifying a second vote.

Before MPs debate an early election on Monday, Rees-Mogg said they would also consider the remaining stages of the Benn bill, following its return from the Lords, as well as hold a debate required under the Northern Ireland (executive formation) bill.

They want to push for another GE.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 5, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ms Fuchi posted:

But if they're waiting for the Benn Bill to complete passage, they won't be able to NDB, so what's the point in calling an early election?

I honestly don't know what to think ATM. :shrug:
They keep trying to push for one on their terms, and I'm a bit suspcious, rightly or wrongly.

happyhippy posted:

Better than junkie cockneys and sour faced northerners.

I will not hear such slander against Phil Mitchell wanting crack. :mad:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/1169590969009922049

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
[e]: Beaten by Nuclear Spoon.

https://twitter.com/JoeMurphyLondon/status/1169918137535488000

That's Mark Field's seat. Unmentioned there is that the party that came second was Labour with 14857 (up from 9899 in 2015).

Libdems did have an increase (2,521 in 2015 to 4270 in 2017), but them winning is heavily reliant on the Labour vote pissing into nothing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1169571029573939201

Oh. What a surprise. What an unexpected thing to occur. :geno:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

that doesn't actually solve the problem though if the next guy in line doesn't go get the extension instead. Can he just sit in the Tower refusing and thus force England over the Brexit cliff?

In that event, I'd imagine Parliament would send a representative.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
[e]: :lol: Beaten again.

"Look how well we meme'd fellow kids."
https://twitter.com/PonderfulUK/status/1169938327191138308

https://twitter.com/reel_politcast/status/1169940341182685188

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/RuairiWood/status/1170298795218874368

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bobstar posted:

I made a thing.

(with apologies to Stephen Collins)

:golfclap:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

:lol: She's hosed anyway - there was only a difference of 346 votes between her and the LAB candidate at the last election.

Pretty convient timing; I was just about to go through the list of constituences for the thread to find the ones with the smallest gap between CON and LAB.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 7, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

willie_dee posted:

Please stop getting my hopes up it hurts too much, I'm happier being an accelerationist who hates this country and everyone in it.

Am currently going through all the constituencies for a list of them where there is a less than 5000 vote difference between Labour and the next largest party. Currently under the impression that the East Midlands and South delenda est.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Finished trawling through the 2017 election stuff (for England, anyway - will look at Scotland, Wales and NI* another day - it was bad enough going through the sheer number of English constituancies).

Got a feeling this might be somewhat relevant in a few weeks; here's all the seats where the difference in votes between Labour and the next largest party is 5000 or under.

Not included seats with a majority larger than 5000 (with the exceptions of Plymouth Moor View and Johnson's seat, as they're just over the limit), or seats where Labour came third.

Having gone through that, it's a nice reminder that the for the most part, the Labour vote rocketed. The Tories benefitted more from UKIP's collapse, but both Labour and Tory gained votes from it. The Libdems did better than under Clegg but not much outside of a few strongholds.

If nothing else, seeing how the Brexit party is gonna impact things, or if the Libdems split the Labour vote is gonna be one of those bumclencher moments. :ohdear:

[e]:

Apraxin posted:

Hey, what's this prominent article on the Beeb front page?

Oh ok, still can't think what this drunken brawl that could have led to Brexit might be tho-

:shepicide:

Christ :suicide:

*Am aware that Labour doesn't run in NI, but curious about the vote breakdown anyway :v:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 8, 2019