Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, prior to him leaning on Lews Therin to become the greatest male channeller in the world, Rand is never really presented as being an expert at anything. His insecurities as leader are kind of the point of books 2-5. He knows little of war, which is why he sticks Rhuarc and Bashere in charge of his armies as soon as he has armies. There's the part in TSR where he's lecturing the High Lords on taxation and crop rotation that can come across a little weird on first reading, but what's actually happening there is that the Lords are being deliberately obtuse; they loving know they're squeezing the peasants dry and they're willfully misunderstanding his pronouncements in the hopes that they can go back to the status quo when the Dragon is off in Illian fighting.

The only thing Rand's genuinely an expert on in his own right is swordfighting, and that's partly having excellent teachers and partly practice and desperation.

He's a farmer/sheep herder too, so crop rotation and stuff like that would be stuff he would likely know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah my impression of the Seanchan is Americans who are cosplaying as Imperial China

Same, except confederate americans.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ponsonby Britt posted:

The Seanchan Empire was fundamentally structured around conquest. Hawkwing's kid went over there at the head of an army, and took hundreds of years to actually conquer the place, so for that entire time the whole political system was oriented around that goal. And then when they finally finished the conquest, all of the nobles and traders and whoever were used to a system where their money/political power came from conquering stuff. So they came up with the Correne as a new outlet for conquest because that kept their military-industrial complex rolling along with them at the top. Which I think implies that the civil war was always going to happen, after the main force of the invasion got smashed up by Rand at Falme and the conquest largely stalled out.

The books said the empires military kept in shape because there where constant uprisings and rebellions all the drat time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Gnoman posted:

What happened to Aram is spelled out directly by Elyas. When he picked up the sword, it was a rejection of everything he believed in. He lost his religion, his family, and his entire culture all in one decision. In their place, he got the sword, and Perrin. That wasn't enough to fill the void within him, and that made him extremely vulnerable to Maesema's manipulations.

Perrin knew full well that something was wrong with Aram. He just didn't have the faintest clue how to fix it. Probably because nobody could have fixed it for Aram - the only thing that would have saved him was him to find a real replacement for what he'd lost.

I always thought that was a lovely thing. I mean they try and recruit people who do violence all the time, but if one of their own "falls off the wagon" even once, there's no way back for him. Why?

At least they seemed to realize it in the end, but he was long dead by then.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

This has me imagening Perrin in a psychologists office with the couch and all, in walks Aram and lies down.

On the wall is Perrins diploma which just says "TA'VEREN!!!!" in large letters.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tsob posted:

I don't know; I think you could theoretically get a good episode of content by building up the horror elements of the first few chapters with the Myrrdral stalking the village boys and Rand having to haul Tam's failing body through the woods while evading packs of Trollocs. I understand why they didn't, especially when Rand isn't the main POV character for the season anymore to a large degree, and don't even mind it really, but I do think it's possible to mine the first few chapters for drama and suspense that could hook viewers regardless.

Man this sounds really good. What I wouldn't give for some more slow paced television, as it is I'm just having to watch old shows like TNG instead... The wonders a full proper seaso can do.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The whole escape from the two rivers really was prime horror material if handled correctly. Sad we'll never get to see it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

poo poo, I'd take this any day if I got to choose.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Colonel Cool posted:

The show feels almost weirdly self-conscious about the source material, if that makes any sense.

I get exactly what you mean.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Invalid Validation posted:

By navigate you mean ignore it. The books were oddly progressive for the time and the show definitely doesn’t have good enough writers to tackle it. But they just kind of chip away at the things that make the books unique cause it’s hard and costs a lot of money to put to TV. So you just end up with generic fantasy show #2360. Like there’s no way in hell they’re gonna be able to do Dumai’s Wells any justice.

It does feel like Xena or Hercules for the 2020s

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I didn't really like the show at all, but the AS wearing their colors wasn't a problem for me. Though I can barely remember what it looked like.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It didn't need one episode dedicated to dollar store Iolaus though

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 31, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Data Graham posted:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The audiobook series of Narnia has a different luminary thespian doing each book, and Patrick Stewart doing The Last Battle is absolutely god loving awful

Could've saved a bunch and hired Mike Stoklasa.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Verin was a fan favorite long before that. She's a very well drawn and likeable character and she's just ambiguous enough to keep people guessing.

Too subtle for TV though

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What on earth is this even about anymore

They're debating the nuances of a lovely TV show

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Shageletic posted:

Ugh just remembered that. Was going to do a rewarch but man that is certainly putting an obstacle to that.

Laila is an ancient word from Manetheren meaning fridge.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Fobby posted:

I'm trying to picture how they'd film that prologue when Demandred goes into the mountain to talk to the Dark One, but in my imagination the DO's ALL CAPITAL LETTER VOICE sounds like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget when he's shouting so I'm having a hard time taking them seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dioZmKCFNOU

buffalo all day posted:

I would go absolute silence w black screen, put the words on the screen like he’s seeing them on inside of eyelids, mb end the scene with loud roaring or feedback like all the sound coming in at once at the end. please do not cast some weird guy yelling at me, tia

This is better tho

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Pleads posted:

It's poignant and great and tbh that's why I expect it's on the cutting room floor for the series.

I cut again, viewers.

-Rafe

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I thought nynaeve cured a bunch of male channeleres, and iirc she tried teaching others?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

BigHead posted:

Lan getting owned in a sword fight twice in the first three episodes made my husband ask "does he always suck this much?"

I was disappointed about that as well. Come on Lan.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mat Cauthon posted:

Elayne and Egwene are strong compared to the general power level of the current age of channelers, which is much lower overall because humanity (besides Shara, Seanchan, and the Sea Folk) had been winnowing the ability out for centuries. Nynaeve is so strong she would've been one of the strongest channelers even in the Age of Legends, the high water mark of channeling in the cycle. Rand, as the dragon, is the strongest channeler that can or will exist ever, period.

Actually I think what the Seanchan did should have been even more effective at winnowing out the channelers from their population. Every damane is one woman who will not have children and it seems even the sul'dam lifestyle isn't very geared towards a family life either. And they catch basically everyone who can channel.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I hope they don't try and make all darkfriends seem like they have reasonable ideas, just another perspective stuff. I thought it was pretty important thematically that dark friends were selfish assholes and the Dark One even liked and encouraged it, even if that kind of stuff essentially led to him losing all the time. It was what the DO represented, all those things, he could not not like that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Health Services posted:

There's a difference between making a point of view seem reasonable and being empathetic. I like that they're not making the show's villains be cardboard cutouts.

A big part of the books charm is how the forsaken's selfishness, greed and arrogance constantly screws up and backfires on them. But towards the last books we basically get confirmation that the DO wants it like that, those are the qualities he loves and wants to encourage, yet it's what keeps him from winning over and over again. But you might as well ask a person to stop breathing oxygen. The DO is all about those kinds of things and encourages and attracts it in his followers.

There are a few standouts to this, but they are noticeable because they are different from the majority of darkfriends. And I certainly hope that we've seen a few exceptions to the rule so far.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

DTurtle posted:

The whole "winnowing out" thing was an in-universe theory by some Aes Sedai.

The Kin and all the other societies and their number (and strength) of channelers thoroughly disproved it.

I didn't see that in the books. The kin and other societies only showed that channelling wasn't winnowed out in the westlands because so many managed to hide from the aes sedai so that they couldn't accomplish that. And there's hints of channeling also being part of lineages, the whole deal with so many strong channelers coming from the two rivers for instance.

So sure no real winnowing took place in the westlands, but it doesn't disprove the theory and there are reasons in the books to think there's a familial element to channeling. What would the most effective disproving of the idea that channelling can be winnowed out would be the Seanchan. They get basically 100% of channelers, the ones with the spark are turned into damane and seen as animals, the ones who can learn become sul'dam, and male channelers are killed instantly. Now that should result in channelers becoming extinct in seanchan eventually if it's genetic.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Omnomnomnivore posted:

A bunch of them are just final bosses for individual books, not surprised they'd get cut.

God dammit to hell if I don't get to see Moairine balefiring Be'lal in Tear!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I didn't originally say that the winnowing out theory was correct, I was saying if it was true, then the Seanchan should've bred out channelers from their own population much more effectively than the aes sedai.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

DTurtle posted:

They have to cut out and combine tons and tons of stuff if they want to get through the whole thing in 64 or so episodes.

The more they focus on getting the right essence across instead of sticking to only including scenes and exact unimportant situations across, the better.

Some of the best parts of season 1 ("sad warder" episode) and season 2 (third Nynaeve trial, Liandrin's son, Moiraine's desperate attempt to not give up, Rand going into an asylum in order to learn from Logain) are nowhere in the book.

The sad warder episode was so so bad. Not as bad as the last eps but not far from it.

Shageletic posted:

Personally, other than the third test (which is, outside of the head fake) closely resembling what occurred in the book down to the dialogue, the parts of the narrative that are made up whole cloth are the weakest parts of the show for me.

Agreed 100%. The show gets noticeably better where it more closely follows the books.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I really miss the old style shows with seasons with 18-22 episodes. But alas that's just not what the world wants anymore.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

They should've just put on big silver collars or something, maybe use some effects to indicate they're being controlled via them. That would have been less ballgaggy. Or they should really lean into it with whips and leather.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

pik_d posted:

Nynaeve vs goth mommy Moghedien please

For some reason I've always seen moghedien as evil velma.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I'm not sure anyone has ever solved the problem of needing to write filler to keep an actor around when the character drops out of the source material, which is what's going on with Moiraine.

You make it animated

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The world before the breaking was supposed to have been a utopia, so I don't think they had iphones

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It was repulsive to me, I was wondering why so many people thought Tuon was cool?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jedit posted:

You mean Furyk Karede. But yeah, the Gardeners are not da'covale and as I recall they're also the only servants of the Empress who are permitted to refuse her call, if they need to avoid the Longing.

IIRC seanchan ogier do not get the longing. Also I wonder if the two societies of ogier knew about each other from before or if they are complete strangers. Leaning towards the latter.

Didn't like the idea of Ogier working for the seanchan fucks though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

William Bear posted:

I agree that it was the episode's weakest moment to have Lan somehow know about tying off weaves. You couldn't have had Verin bring it up or something? It would make much more sense for her to know.

My guess is they wanted to show Lan doing something to advance the plot before they cared about that "something" making sense.

Don't really like how they've handled Lan so far. He really ought to have had an arc where went from stoneface mcnofeels to something resembling a normal human thanks to Nynaeve like in the books.

I thought the 1st season was overall dreadful, the 2nd season has shaped up A LOT though, but it suffers from needing twice the amount of episodes per season IMO, for all the various stories to be handled with the length and detail each needs and for various story wrapups to feel more earned. I agree in this episode in particular things felt like a lot of jumping around because of having to cram so much story into one episode. Needs more eps per season, can't get around it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

El Grillo posted:

Got to agree with some others here. That last episode felt a lot more rough to me for some reason. A lot of moments not really landing. Including Gitara Moroso, not sure how they made that seem relatively lame. I think they modified the words of the foretelling a bit from the books, and the whole setting of it was a bit different too.

I was disappointed because I really wanted to hear her scream her last words foretelling the dragons rebirth. Her telling Moiraine and Siuan what todo with her dying breath felt wrong as well. Like they figured that out themselves. I feel like they reduced the impact of this scene in order to make it clearer to non book readers. I think it would've been clear enough and the book version is loving metal, this was yet another thing I had wanted to see but was denied.

quote:

"He is born again! I feel him! The Dragon takes his first breath on the slopes of Dragonmount! He is coming! He is coming! Light help us! Light help the world! He lies in the snow and cries like the thunder! He burns like the sun!"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

CainsDescendant posted:

I feel like I'm not a particularly nitpicky person but this show definitely has some weird editing going on. Overly cut-y at times and some weird continuity stuff like that Egwene shot from early in the season. I've mostly chalked it up to COVID stuff, if they're not getting a lot of safety takes due to short or interrupted shooting days that'd make a lot of sense. It hasn't bothered me much but I'm largely sympathetic to it bugging folks. Hopefully it's not going to be a problem from next season on

The reason is simply there's too much stuff to be squeezed into 8 episodes IMO. And that's not meant to be a criticism against the writers and makers of this show, they could have hired the absolute best of the best that ever worked in this business and I don't think they could do all the stuff justice in 8 ep seasons. Just. need. more. episodes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Pleads posted:

Lan's "showing Rand how to face the Amyrlin" was a sliver of what it should have been, and was overshadowed by them having a big shouting match about being the Dragon in front of a bunch of schlub White Tower guards. What a secret!

Oh so I wasn't alone in reacting to that. Like holy poo poo dudes watch your loving mouths what the hell?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well I've had some time to think about it and personally I don't feel much about this show at all. I'll grant it's massively improved from S1 which I actively disliked. But I'm relistening to the 3rd book now and haven't tied any of the show actors to my mental representations of the book characters. I feel that says something about how I view the show. I feel it's more a modern generic fantasy show to me that just happens to share the name and some plot points.

I noticed multiple times on reading both WoT threads that most of the stuff people said was cool and awesome a lot of the time it really do anything for me. But it's hard to put my finger on exactly why, I guess a lot of the cool stuff either looked corny to me, or felt unearned because it's only 8ep seasons and the rewrites IMO mostly lessens the payoffs because we had hardly any time to spend on them. Just something about the sum of the whole that doesn't make it feel like Wheel of Time to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

There's just no way even the best producers, writers and actors in human television history could do the long, complex storylines of the books justice in 8 episodes even if you had a time machine to go get them and tell them to get it done with that as it's sole restriction.

I believe you could get pretty close if you doubled the episodes per season though I would prefer 20 eps at least. Then you could avoid a lot of the rewriting they did which IMO they did to condense everything into these absurdly short seasons and which is the main problem here. You would still have to cut a lot of fat, but I think it would be a dramatically different show then.

I really hate the modern short season format, but it feels like a product of our time. Like we're all damaged by smartphones and constant instant gratification doing a number on our brains that doing a long(er) form adaptation would fail and get panned as slow and boring. People would get bored and tune out.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 10, 2023