Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I think SC looks good though? He ships and environments and lighting look good.

What should it look like in comparison?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Like, the graphics are better than NMS, on par with (or even slightly better than) Elite, and just as well with Star Wars Squadrons. I don’t see a drastic difference with the X series either. Also any Mass Effect.

As far as space sims go, I don’t know what your comparison is or how it is poo poo.

Starfield will probably set a new bar.

Genuine question. Not trying to be a sycophant at all. I just checked this game out during the free trial week.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 22, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

The true believers are convinced it’s photorealistic and the best looking game ever made, that’s where the disconnect is.

It looks ok.

Ah. Yeah, nah. It is indistinguishable at best with other games. Like, a screenshot of this game vs. elite would only be discernible if you knew the HUD or some of the station.

It isn’t poo poo though.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I guess my comment was directed at the space sim genre in general or at least something visually similar (such as a battlefield series—the latest Star Wars Battlefront reminds me a lot of this game too).

It would be unfair to compare it to, say, Sea of Thieves and its beautiful water and lighting, or anything on Unreal 5 so far (which is probably where the game should be migrated to at this point).

To call this game looking like “poo poo”, though, is a bit hyperbolic.

The reality is there aren’t very many space sims out there, and the ones that are have a lot of years behind them now, so if you can call Star Citizen “poo poo” the I would assume that virtually all other space sims are “poo poo”.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 22, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Nah make fun of it. I certainly did and do. I tried it during the free week and some of the dumbest glitches in basic poo poo (like waking up in bed) were broken.

Over a decade of dev and it still isn’t solid in the core creature comforts and essentials to like, take off or land, is dumb as gently caress.

But the game doesn’t “look like poo poo” is all I am saying.

I realize I have already “lost” any part of the discussion and am not trying to die on any hill but I feel like making fun of people who pledged $225 on the proto-NFT that is an internet space ship is a better target vs. the mediocre but serviceable graphics.

Also lol at saying Elite is any better in graphics and optimization and completeness. Like, have you even ever played Elite?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Did you try Odyssey?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Popete posted:

No I did not, space legs in Elite didn't really interest me. I did hear that was a bungle but I assume it probably works fine by now even if it's boring.

It is about the same as SC actually. And yes, boring.

In fact, it is such a mess there are no less than three incompatible versions of Elite you can play now!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Eh, Odyssey’s problem is that there is nothing really to do, multiplayer doesn’t work right, it’s only half implemented really, it is unoptimized, and unlike with SC the transition to space legs/flying is clunky, there is also only about 5 unique “environments” and they look (as I said earlier) totally indistinguishable from SC unless you know Elite.

At least SC missions on the ground are fun.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Quavers posted:

Oh dear, you've given :iiasb: a lot of money, haven't you

No. There is no sunk cost fallacy delusions either. I simply said originally I don’t think the game looks like poo poo.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Fidelitious posted:

I think we'll mostly just be disagreeing from the start because the game does look poo poo. As has been said, not on a purely technical level. The ingredients are clearly there, the 'hero' characters are very detailed and thoroughly animated, they've got all kinds of materials and whatnot.
So things like a shiny spaceship in isolation look pretty good.

The stuff that looks like rear end are things that require thought-out direction like particularly the interiors of pretty much everywhere. Many of them are completely empty and lifeless, as if no one inhabits these places. The most highly detailed and amazing coffee kiosk is still going to look stupid as poo poo when it's one of 2 things in a giant empty hall that looks like a freshly cleaned hospital corridor.

Don't even get me started on the landscapes. They look straight awful.

Yes, I think a lot of space games have a problem where stations and interiors are just loving huge. Too big. The form is prioritized over function.

Coincidentally this is also how McMansions and suburban hellscape homes are designed.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

BitBasher posted:

In the case of Elite it actually makes sense psychics wise because rotational gravity causes nausea if the distance to the center of rotation is too small. If it's too small turning your head fucks with your balance and makes you nauseous. The giant rear end drum space stations are because that's the distance needed for the habitable outside of the drum to not actually not gently caress with humans. That said, yeah they are huge inside. Same with the Nuavoo int he Expanse. This isn't an excuse for non rotational based platforms, but for ones that use spin gravity there's a reason.

It’s the interiors, not the exteriors or overall size. Like, why do you need to walk 500 yards to get to the elevator to get to your ship from the bar? The elevator just magics you there anyway.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Space Engineers kinda.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

colonelwest posted:

I’ve been watching some reviews for Jedi Survivor and it can’t even hit 40fps on a 4090 with most of the settings on low. It’s like they purposefully set out to take the crown of worst optimized game away from Star Citizen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI6eAVvvmg0

I am really curious about this as I have a 6600 and I get 75 fps average and no hitching. It rarely drips below 60fps even in serious combat or in huge environments.

I play on all high settings but I do play ray tracing off and at 1080p.

Maybe not try to play it with ray tracing at 4k?

So my review is the game is cool and good and a nice sequel to the first one.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

colonelwest posted:

Yeah reviewers are finding like a weird FPS cap that any change in settings or hardware can’t get past. People with 4090s/i9 13900ks are only seeing ~30% GPU utilization and two CPU cores at around ~70%.

I have noticed no one with AMD has these issues.

Maybe it’s an Intel/Nvidia thing?

Don’t all the current gen consoles run off of AMD?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also I would like to mention I had/have no issues with Star Citizen either but a buddy of mine who has Intel/Nvidia did/does.

I am trying to recall what the hardware hotness was 12 years ago wrt SC.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
(500) Days of Sycamore

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I bet you could program Star Citizen in Minecraft and get it done before Star Citizen is released and it would still have more content.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Drakkel posted:

Yeah but does ZELDA have deformable beds and hotdog vendors? CHECKMATE.

It does now!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Notbing thrills me more than getting a thread title from my post or seeing my post get quoted.

Thank you for validating my existence.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I thought that like, 15 years ago.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The year is 2948. Star Citizen is so realistic, literally reality could be gameplay. The uncertainty has gripped the ‘verse in fear. I go to board my Cutter for comfort. She is cake.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

If the game is bad stop complaining and it won’t be bad anymore. Simple.

This just in: Study shows poor people should just stop being poor.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am still pissed Hobbes was a double agent all along.

That revelation played out leaving the same taste as Saul Tigh being a Cylon.

He was the most human and flawed and best character and he is a loving Cylon? :wtc:

Hobbes was cool. We didn’t deserve that heel turn.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I will say, however, that I loved the cinematics of WC3, 4, and Prophecy. I think Tolwynn’s demise in 4 was cool and honestly a bit prescient with regards to the military-industrial complex.

You can watch all of the cinematics in “canon” order mashed together on YouTube, last I checked (years ago).

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
When I first heard the word Stimpire I thought it was a derogatory term for the general community supporting the game, and some kind of portmanteau of stupid and simp to creat the Stupid Simping Empire.

It still is like that as far as I am concerned. :colbert:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
No one tell them about the Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor or Elden Ring series of games and their menus.

They are clearly the shittiest games.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Starfield is going to be fine. Probably good. Maybe great, even. But it won’t be poo poo.

Or is this the crow that shits on Skyrim for being “total garbage” and Morrowind is better or Oblivion is better or whatever?

I swear this debate comes up in so many threads.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

holtemon posted:

I just read that Starfield will not have HOTAS support so it'll be a hard pass now. It's like they don't even care about fidelity

This is really unfortunate, but HOTAS on a game designed around mouse/kb and joypad controllers can actually suck and be strictly worse, like in Planetside or No Man's Sky.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 23, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Technically by their rationale any game started development after Pong because Pong was the first game so I guess Starfield took like 60 years or whatever.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Sunk Cost Fallacy is a hell of a drug.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am surprised they haven’t crowd sourced some of the development to volunteers at this point.

That would be peak grift.

Seriously you know someone would make textures or build a cockpit or flight model with great enthusiasm and for free

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Blue On Blue posted:

they're probably gun shy about volunteers or non-employees (whom are bound by contracts other legal things like the threat or ortwin hovering over their bed)

since the greatest starship (i forget the actual name of it) contest where the convicted sex criminal mentioned it as part of his defense testimony

Wait, what?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks I didn’t want to read, nor will I click on, that URL.

The one sentence summary sufficed.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Has there really been no update at all since like, March or whatever?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

NoMas posted:

looks like Christ Roberts gave out some free ships this year :shobon:

o7

Yeah I did the ol’ log in after Starfield cam out and I have some new ship. Is that permanent or just some trial bullshit?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Star Wars Squadrons deserves a followup. :colbert:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

FishMcCool posted:

No it doesn't. X-Wing/TIE Fighter/Alliance do.

I mean, in an extremely large amount of ways it…is.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Shazback posted:

Facial over IP?

Don't kink shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
If you can log in, yes.