Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

jesus christ how broke is your brain if you keep up with and talk about this dumb loving game. and no, you aren't doing it "ironically"

Maybe you should try to be more positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

You might think "those .jpgs sure are expensive", but remember: Laughing at the train wreck is free

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Kinda seems like they should have gone with loading screens tbh, since they basically have de facto loading screens what with their 20 minute travel times.

But loading screens would not be equally fast for everyone... If, say, you had an expensive Intel Optane SSD, you would be able to load faster, and that would be pay2win.

And you can't win Star Citizer.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Kikas posted:

I mean we're all beating a dead horse, does that mean we all have a "history of violence"?

Yes. Emotional violence against backers, in the form of photoshopped bears. A very serious crime.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

yeah that guy needs to loosen his tin foil hat, it's cutting off blood flow to his brain.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

colonelwest posted:

If multi-crew ever makes it into the game, it will be a perfect storm of broken, rudimentary and boring, to the point that no one will ever want to be a crew member. “Press F to keep the engines from overheating” oops the ship spontaneously blew up anyway.

NPC crews still only exist as concept art in year 7 and I don’t think CIG has even mentioned them more than once in the past year; plus CIG can’t even get background characters to walk a scripted path around a room, so I think it’s safe to say that they are not anywhere on horizon.

It'll be even better when some one goes full space station 13 on them and becomes the traitor and deliberately sabotages everything. CIG and the backers' dreams of having players play tedious and menial jobs will be the perfect vessel for grief, and in a way it is sad it won't really happen.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Inacio posted:

even manning turrets, arguably the least boring of multicrew jobs, is boring as poo poo.

Do turrets deal self damage? asking for a friend

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

The bottom one and I'm pretty sure it's actually a Kilrathi ship from Wing Commander.

Actually, it's the Kilrathi ship from Star Citizen, but you'll be excused for making that mistake.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Mr.PayDay posted:

It’s amazing how reckless the Shitizens won’t miss any opportunity to hate EA, Blizzard or Ubisoft and all the devil publishers for their lies and anti consumer bad business practices.

Like these idiots are part of the biggest crowdfunding fiasco of all time and support a memefestival that built It’s fundament on lies, misinformation and incompetence.
This is Freelancer multiplied by the Roberts Clan who found a legal way of money laundering by fleecing the backers with jpegs and without any liability.

How can you diss EA and be mad at Ubisoft when you support a 300 Million pre Alpha POS techdemo that is like 85 % behind the stretchgoals since half a decade and still defend this?

Oh, we know the answer: Sunk Cost Galaxy-fallacy. Thanks botcha :gary:

There is probably also a nice helping of Dunning-Kruger as well. The lack of self awareness among citizens is almost everywhere.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Hav posted:

Just popping in to leave this here;

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/3r1YDnDtyO1CtNFbJX6RBJ/fallout-76-fallout-1st-announce

Troubled F2P Fallout '76 just announced a subscription package.

A subscription for single player.

Clearly Star Citizer needs this, it will be the perfect solution to commandos feeling grief. No goons, no problems!

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Who is the middle guy cosplaying as? The confession bear meme?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

UnknownTarget posted:

Do you ever think he lies awake at night asking himself if what he's doing is worth it?

Probably not. It seems like he is taking solace in old nostalgia to avoid asking himself if it is worth it.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Peter.Quint posted:

I can imagine the whales having equally ridiculous task breakdowns written out for the floor mopping and toilet cleaning jobs they expect the plebs to do on their mega ships.

Lol, how the hell is multicrew not going to be a terrible experience for anyone not piloting the ship? Ten minutes of a CIG mini game and everyone's just going to kill the pilot. Every ship is going to be like the Event Horizon.

Because the citizers believe they're like Elon Musk, that their force of personality will cause other players to flock to them. It's an advanced form of delusion.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Has anyone called Star Citizen a "broke dick piece of poo poo scam" yet?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Mr.PayDay posted:

"Every NPC will have their own individual 24-hour schedule periodically constructed for them based upon things like how the economy is doing and what’s happening and within the solar system. A prosperous, growing economy might be reflected by the streets being filled with businessmen, tourists, and shoppers by day, and bar patrons, restaurant diners, and revelers at night.
Criminal activity – muggings, vandalism, pickpocketing, and even assault – might rise significantly once the sun sets, especially in those areas off the beaten path or on planets facing economic hardship. Some stores will close at night, leaving travelers arriving at odd hours and in need of their services and/or products to either burn some time at one of the establishments open around the clock, or trying to find an alternative source for their needs, which might mean trying to strike a late-night deal in a dark alley with a character of questionable integrity."

Tony Zuvorec, November 2014, just 5 years ago.

First working Box grabbing environments, THEN living space with EVERY NPC dynamicly scripted, NEXT epic space battles with x thousands of players.
We are so close!

There is something about this that reminds me of Todd Howard hyping up the Radiant AI for Oblivion.

The joke here is that the Radiant AI didn't work, and ended up creating a lot unintentional comedy. Much like Star Citizer.

History repeats itself, time is a cube, etc...

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Oh boy, remember back when %GAME had some graphical downgrades? That sure made a lot of people angry at %PUBLISHER. Good thing CIG would never do something like that, not like those evil publishers.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Love the theorycrafting in that one.

Anyways from a developer:

Bespoke tech. Wonder what term they will come up with next to handle trees.

Probably some catchy name, so they can sell it to the backers as a brand new exciting tech... something like FastTree™ or something...

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Dementropy posted:

I admit, when I first saw it, all I thought of was the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where the guy is trying to be all fancy with his sword and Indy just shoots him.

It took me a bit to understand what they were really trying to get across.

So I guess the person who made that didn't really think things out.

Fun fact about Raiders of the Lost Ark: Harrison Ford had massive diarrhea and "just shot the guy" because he didn't want to get into a fight scene.

This pertains to Star Citizer somehow, probably because if CIG had just gotten their game done and released it, they wouldn't be spewing poo poo everywhere now.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Quavers posted:

:trustme:

Volunteer Regression: 3.8.1e

Greetings Citizens!

Below you will find a survey to check on bug fixes taken from the most recent set of patch notes. If you have time, investigate those features and let us know if we were able to resolve the issue. If the issue persists, please reply to this post with video/screenshots.

https://forms.gle/EZU5GgiBqpvcGHvn6

Thanks for your help!

Claim Jumpers missions should now work reliably.
* Fixed
* Not Fixed

The Pisces should no longer appear as placeholder text on commodity kiosks.
* Fixed
* Not Fixed

Entering a ship via elevator at Area18 should no longer kill the player.
* Fixed
* Not Fixed

Fixed bounty missions not progressing and unlocking further variants.
* Fixed
* Not Fixed

There should no longer be misaligned collision blocking a suite in the 890 Jump.
* Fixed
* Not Fixed

Players should no longer get first degree battery changes for killing NPCs inside destroyed ships.
* Fixed
* Not Fixed

Players should no longer randomly die in the EzHab area upon exiting the transit system at Area18.
* Fixed
* Not Fixed

Fixed an issue where if multiple players set their preferred ICU to the same medbed and die at the same time, one would spawn at map origin.
* Fixed
* Not Fixed

:eng101:

Can Spectrum not do polls? Using google to make polls seems like an option for filthy HATERS to ruin the results. Also i clicked on not fixed for all of them, just to make the double check their code. I'm helping!

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Elderbean posted:

They really should have stopped trying to make a sim game and should have made Second Life 2 instead. All these gamer dads want is model viewer and chat program to roleplay in.

Looks more like they're making Space Station 13, but with all the fun surgically removed. :v:

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

35000 us dollaridoos.

Just stop for a second and think what you could do with that money.

Now think for a second what you would actually get from CI!G for that money.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

I understand this point of view, but for me it goes even beyond that. The reality is that they're NOT spending 30K on jpegs, they're getting robbed for that money to line the pockets of a very transparently inept con-man, and they're defending their abuser.

That last part why I really loathe the backers. That smug better-than-you attitude, that arrogant superiority, is what really just hubris. And hubris ends in nemesis. And it will be glorious.

It is a pity there has never been much criticism of CIG and Star Citizen from the backers and public in general.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

welp, time to rub i guess

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

Went a bit further down Cliffords twitter feed, and he seems to just really love throwing money at everything

Why have 2 backup batteries for your VR gear, when you can buy... 12

I feel like if he could take a picture of his credit limit just to show off , he would

This was the same guy that made a computer case entirely made from fans, right?

Maybe he just like wiring stuff together?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Pixelate posted:

They’ve broken AI in so many ways it’s like contemporary dance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIuOVOXrwMY&t=30s

Help, I've spilled the gravity goo and now I can't get up...

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Can't believe I've wasted 7+ years of my life thinking about this scam.

The only way to WIN with Shart Citizoids is to not know about it.

To know about it, is to lose. Whether you're a supporter or a dissenter, if you know about Star Citizen, you fuckin lose.

Buy an idris.

Counterpoint: Bear photoshops were worth it.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

So I've not been following this thread for a while, is star citizer still the best drat space sim ever?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Dwesa posted:

Crobear already wears black turtleneck in an attempt to emulate him. The rest will certainly appear on its own as a result of it.

It's a pity he doesn't really have the body shape for it. Instead he looks like a garbage sack full of yoghurt.

Incidently, that's how you could describe star citizer as well...

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

bbchops posted:

If anyone's looking for a game about ships and paperwork you can actually play, I've just replayed Return of the Obra Dinn and that game remains incredible.

But but but... the graphics, the fidelity....

doesn't matter, because the game has a strong aesthetic. Seriously, play Return of the Obra Dinn

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Trilobite posted:

Hey, why does a closed door have a button that says "CLOSE" on it, anyway? Can you double-close it? Or did they mean it to say "CLOSED," so even commandos would know not to try walking through it?

Don't worry this will be fixed in Closed 2.0

You just don't understand game development, hater.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Tippis posted:

To quote my favourite bit ever from a Cyberpunk splatbook (where they discuss the options for buying "second-hand" or just second-rate cyberware at discounted prices):

"Russian leg not pretty like American leg, but good when kicking tank."

This should tell you all you need to know about Cyberpunk.

Would you say it kicks above it's weight class? :rimshot:

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

colonelwest posted:

Lol at all of these idiots clinging to “physicalized everything”, “no cheats or tricks” and “Chris is building a universe from the ground up”. Not only will none of that make Star Citizen a fun game, but CIG itself is walking back all of those promises, they’re just refusing to acknowledge it.

We’ve already gotten a split inventory system with a non-physicalized part. CIG also recently confirmed that the newer elevators are all just going teleport around and they don’t give a poo poo about backer’s dreams of high fidelity elevator gameplay. Finally, just in the last few days they killed most of the dreams of cities teaming with millions of life-like NPC’s. The small Cryengine maps connected by train rides are all there will ever be, and maybe a few NPC’s will teleport in and out on a set schedule using hidden closets. So this would mean less fidelity than the NPCs in Oblivion.

But no, the Matrix is still going to spring like a Phoenix someday from Chris’ broken pile of code.

It's a part of the scam. The backers are dumb, but they've been convinced they're really smart and sophisticated. And because of this, they wrongly believe that the stuff they pay for is worth more if it is "not faked". For them, it's a matter of the best hand-picked pixels from selected studios, bespoke animations just for them, and all of it has gone through rigorous pipelines to be the most refined content, for the most refined people. Because they're worth it.

I'm being sarcastic here, of course, because the backers are not the cream of the crop, and the content they pay for isn't either. But they believe so, because they're been told so.

If any of them did actually know anything about software development, they would know that doing things with "no cheats or tricks" is loving stupid and unnecessary.

It's all just the ol' razzle dazzle, nothing more.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

NumptyScrub posted:

The best part is how they've internalised "never been done before" to mean "must be the best way of doing it" instead of "because it is dumb"

People fill car tyres with Nitrogen, but I will fill them with custard (a non-newtonian fluid) instead! Never been done before!

It's ironic, because all the things that have never been done before, have in fact been done before, in a more optimized and efficient manner.

The only thing that has not been done before, is taking all the (ineptly implemented) things and putting them all in the same game at the same time.

Because Christ Roberts has ambitions. loving sucks at project management.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Inacio posted:

let me file taxes in the verse

Ok, but prepare yourself for the inevitable consequences of tax fraud...

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

str citzne should never be compared to another game, as it isn't one itself
The nearest thing I can compare it to is Bonzi Buddy, it's a pile of annoying poo poo that uses system resources for no good reason and is a shitter to try and uninstall

Arguably, you could call it an ARG, since all the "gameplay" is done outside the game, in a meta shitposting sort of way.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Uh, what?

Unless NPCs do similar erratic running around like PCs, latter will be easily identifiable.

Easily solved by removing player ability to run, jump and/or crouch.

Fidelity!

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

Star Citizen: it's not meant to be fun

Well, in that case they're loving nailing it.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Starpluck posted:

Does anyone think Star Citizen will eventually be considered a good game in 6-8 years? It sucks today, but what about then?

No. There was a certain time when Star Citizer reached a critical mass of Bad™.

I don't know for certain when that was, only that it happened.

There is no salvaging this turd.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

"it only makes sense that the financier gets to be captain!" is the most worm-brained capitalist take i've ever seen

Translated: "I paid to win, I should win"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

This guy's ideal gameplay is sitting and watching others play.

Star Middle Manager.