Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I'd go to Remedy and offer all of Star Citizen as a start for Control II: Space Control. The twisted NPC monstrosities, vanishing objects, falling through the ground and other bizarre things just need some talented writers to describe how they are Altered World Events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And what's slated for Citizencon?

Some sort of Space Fast & Furious prison break scenario that is carefully scripted and may actually not crash as massive resources have been spent on this and not making an actual game for most of the year. The whales will love the idea of being able to lock up other, lesser players and this will somehow generate exciting gameplay where they can summon their org to defend the HVT from the rabble that seeks to free him.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Zzr posted:

¤Istandwithsandi. Poor vp has even been cut from the citizencon, she can't catch a break.

The VP slider was finally implemented and promptly set to zero.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

echothreealpha posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are struggling to finish a quarter of the cutscenes.

Can you imagine giving a terrible director limitless budget? He'd think he has all the time in the word to reedit, change things around. There's no actor egos he has to handle. Everything from props to extras can be changed by a request to the SQ42 production team.

and oh god, lighting, the length of Mark Hamill's character's beard. everything can be manipulated to his desires.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empires_of_the_Deep

quote:

n December 2014 the movie was announced as complete and due for release in China in December 2015 after almost five years of post-production, mostly coming from the visual effects, which had increased the budget to well over US$140 million.[5] As of December 2019, the film remains unreleased, going through four directors, 10 scriptwriters and with many of the actors and production and technical crews still unpaid.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Kikas posted:

what is your favourite Star Citizen moment of the decade

Crobbert's claim that every dollar he spends is equal to 4 by a developer with a publisher.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, imagine what would happen if those hacks at Rockstar got a peek into how game development really works.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Antigravitas posted:

Missiles in Eve are actual objects and you can destroy them with AoE weaponry even. :colbert:

A design decision they probably deeply regret as it increases the amount of objects to keep track of so much. I believe they did go from 'launch 8 missiles' to 'launch an object representing 8 missiles' already.

Deciding to resolve the result of a missile attack immediately on launch and just play a canned graphics effect to show its flight would not be a bad idea. But I'm sure fidelity demands a finely detailed missile with moving control surfaces, a fuel usage system and thrust calculations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF0EK3QBYRM

This 2014 Squadron 42 looks pretty finished and ready to ship.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

MarcusSA posted:

That is some impressive poo poo.

Last time I saw this was with the original Prince of Persia which both rebooted the PC and messed up the BIOS settings if you did next level cheat on the final level. Wing Commander 1 was released around that time so it's probably evidence that CRoberts is really coding the physics engine.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

trucutru posted:

Well, the other day my car ran out of gas so I had to go buy a $267,000 tanker truck (used, I like to save money) to refuel it. There is just no other way!

Just wait until a part breaks and you have to go mine iron ore to make a replacement !

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Quavers posted:

:reddit: [i]Get to know Firesprite, a new CIG contractor.

Hey all, Bootcha here. In this edition of Open Game Development, I'd like to introduce you to a new CIG contractor: Firesprite.

First off, where did Firesprite come from? Well, in the CIG UK Companies House, there was a posting of a Resolution of Articles of Association on 11 FEB 2020: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227/filing-history
In that resolution, on page 11, was a new company I had not seen before: VGDC Lienholding LLC. VGDC, or "Video Game Development Company", is documented as part of the US Group of CIG. That would mean nothing on it's own, as CIG has a slew of shell companies.

However, it turns out this VGDC shows up in a loan charge dated about 2 years ago, the exact amount is not known or cited, to a company in Manchester, UK. This new unknown company is called Icesprite: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11031090/charges/OVECHyeOoxHfI4Pl5r-pyaNZM-Q
Icesprite, is owned by Firesprite: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08240765
Firespite, is a gamedev studio in Liverpool, UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firesprite
Now, before you go "GASP FUUUUUUUUUUUCK", that's a completely different Chris Roberts at Firesprite. That was a short lived chuckle. Firesprite also made the VR game "Persistance". https://youtu.be/Tpcu9OU-LH8

:gary: :lol:

This opens the way for the 'it was the other Chris Roberts !' defense, a brilliant move.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Accidentally tripped on stairs and now I've got two broken ribs and a fractured arm

https://i.imgur.com/AzU5JXL.mp4

:shepspends: ......... accidentally falling down stairs....... this game is becoming too realistic.

:ughh:

The next-gen Porrasturvat is here at last.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Watch CIG scramble to come out with something as soon as the news spreads outside the safe zones.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Solarin posted:

Star citien is a absolute poo poo product made by an ultra dysfunctional company that's just a god drat mess top to bottom. what the hell

It's an incredible feat of marketing to get so many to pay so much for so little. Maybe it's by design or by accident but the results are undeniable.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It was Kevin Costner. When Kevin Costner of all people has the high-ground in a dispute you have failed at life.

http://www.ascendantpictures.com/

Somehow this site survived the wrath of Kevin Costner. It's one of the few websites in existence that beats the SQ42 roadmap in being updated less.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Flannelette posted:

Real good sign that the basic IK bug on the cup holding is still not fixed. Just add it to the lore that it's how people drink in the future.

Someone once told me to drink water like that to get rid of hiccups and it actually worked.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

DigitalPenny posted:

Lets not forget that when everything is working on ship driving in straight line in the ocean is boring even for two people.

No worries there ! Although real ship crews rarely fall through the floor of the ship and then the bottom of ocean.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Death of a Salesman

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Citizen is great and now is the perfect time to get in- once they get the latest Jesus Tech implemented, everything's going to come flooding through the pipelines. 2021 is definitely the year that Star Citizen will be delivered! They, uh, don't actually have a roadmap beyond December 2020 anymore, but I feel good about this prediction. Buy in now- prices on spaceships only go up!

Roadmaps ? Where we're going we don't need roadmaps !

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

And twice a day they are 100% perfectly on time down to the femtosecond, delivering the ultimate in Watch Fidelity. Compare that to your lovely watch which is trillions of femtoseconds off at all times.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Trilobite posted:

An inside peek into the team's actual roadmap for the Crusader Hercules A2:

1. Move it to the next patch "for additional polishing." Maybe the patch after the next patch, actually. Polishing can take a long time.

Star Citizen: More Polish Than Warsaw

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

lobsterminator posted:

I'm sure they will introduce ship leasing, a.k.a. the Idris-as-a-service model.

It's not as good or easy as the current dreams-as-a-service model.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

UnknownTarget posted:

I'm confused...won't you still hit lag issues with every server sending data to the players and to the other servers?

I thought it was lag, not server hardware, that was the limiting factor?

Actually it was the greedy publishers who kept the programmers shackled and prevented them from fixing lag. Now that, thanks to you buying that Idris, the publisher has been replaced by visionary Christ Roberts the pipelines are wide open and any day now the Dynamic Server Meshing will be released to astound the world and have everyone begging to licence the StarEngine.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

commando in tophat posted:

It's pretty mind boggling to me that they went with unique names (but also only unique across each ship type?), and naming it on a loving website, instead of just adding "string name;" on a ship and put input box on one of many terminals in game. But I'm not looking at it from a whale tender perspective

My guess is that Turbulent is grabbing functionality as much as they can in the mad machine that is Star Citizen development. And since they are smart enough to stay far away from dreams.txt features they are the people who can 'get stuff done'. None of that stuff is related to a spaceship game anymore but that's not really relevant anymore, you're just naming your digital pet who happens to be a spaceship.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Pixelate posted:

Every month the mess hall gets closer...

Squadron 42 March 3rd Update - Monthly Update

with the ability for the designers to script bespoke failures.

"That was not a crash when you fell through the floor, that was a bespoke failure"

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Tippis posted:

Do you think it would be rude to remind CRobber that DMM is a proprietary, most likely patented, tech and that would land him in the same trouble as back in the Wing Commander days…?

Or maybe he can just change engines. It's a simple two-day job, after all, right?

Only one option here: Digital Atomic Matter at 512 bit precision to simulate every atom in the universe. Just add some basic laws of physics and the rest will sort itself out.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

RabbitWizard posted:

Anyone got the picture of the rig with the dozens of expensive cameras they bought for that? And then never mentioned again?

Getting their own mocap studio is such a dumb idea. Once you have it there is no pressure to get anything right because you can always go back for more.

And I bet that people soon discovered that putting 'waiting for planned motion capture' or 'processing and refining motion capture output' on a status report gets an automatic thumbs up from the Crobbler.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

MedicineHut posted:

As it turns out, CIG can not even do a totally feasible, quick turnaround and straightforward project.

2024: As it turns out, neither can Firesprite, who will be the new Illfonic to get blamed for delaying the release by years.

(and that's not their fault, nothing is feasible when it comes to what SC is supposed to be)

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
We understood that players struggled with knowing what to do in the game

This level of honesty is quite refreshing.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Investing a little money to have the makers of the soon-to-be-industry-standard StarEngine on your resume seems perfectly reasonable.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Dwesa posted:

I am sure he believes in "10 year plan" now.

:reddit: Roadmap in Graph Form (21 April, 2021) (Updated Information)

those progress bars mean nothing

UNANNOUNCED FEATURE 3 | SQUADRON 43

Already started on the sequel to the Game Of The Year 20[year+2]

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
CRoberts can feel smug in thinking he has surpassed another hated competitor, Battlezone 2 (1999).

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Sandweed posted:

This is probably by design, people are more likely to spend if they think they are cheating the system.

It's the most basic EVE online sales scam. Not only to sell something for a million times what it's worth but put 10 times a million in the description to make people think you made a mistake and they should quickly grab it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

smellmycheese posted:

A bitcoin site just ran off with lots of sad neckbeards’ cash and posted this to their website, but it feels like this could equally be the homepage of Christopher Roberts Space Industries

Crypto backers are spinning furiously against even this case where the scammers shouting off the rooftops that they scammed.

https://www.coindesk.com/people-behind-crypto-protocol-defi100-may-have-absconded-with-32m-in-investor-funds

"They may just have their site hacked, nothing on their twitter"
"This happens every now and then, nothing really new"
"When this happens it's a tiny operation, no big deal"
"If you lost money it's your own fault for spending more then you can afford"
"Buy an Idris more crypto"

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Zaphod42 posted:

In my experience its the exact opposite. Games have to be built fast, often change during development, and are targeting "fun" which isn't easy to design a spec around.

It may also involve removing stuff you spent a lot of time and money in making. For instance in Horizon Zero Dawn an option to remove the elaborate headgears that were part of outfits was added shortly after release as a lot of players found them annoying when playing and in photo mode.
Others may consider this an insult to their vision of fidelity or try to solve it by making a hundred new types of headgear.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

smellmycheese posted:

History time. Here’s Croberts getting 5 pages of “it’s a work in progress” all the way back in 1992

It's not that much on the Crobbler but the guy doing the Amiga port. Funniest thing is the little box on page 29 what the hell a PC is and how the Amiga can hold up agains tht might of a 486.

And this Star Wars movie writer in his young years.

https://archive.org/details/theone-magazine-46/page/n35/mode/2up

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

It's almost like all that stuff about shooting real simulated bullets was just bullshit they've been repeating for a decade

Well, it's tier zero in an alpha. I hear that eventually the chemical reaction in each bullet will be simulated to calculate the bullet velocity and stress on the gun, with bullet making and propellant mixing gameplay in the pipeline.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

This catte is punching above its weight

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Server Messing has been implemented since day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

akkristor posted:

you 'can', but not well.

Air doesn't offer enough resistance to 'push' off of. It's not nearly as thick.

At sea level, water is about 1000x denser than air.

Birds are incredibly light for their size, and have a MASSIVE surface-area-to-weight ratio of their wings; which lets them push a lot of air around to get much thrust.

Well, in zero G I have no weight and therefore can fly like an eagle with my hands.

--C.R.