Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'd like to see a HHH vs Cena vs Jeff Jarrett talent run killed list

I feel like HHH or Cena had to be worse because I can't remember anyone JJ killed for a long time besides Truth and Styles? And Cena killed Truth as well? HHH squashed Booker, RVD, and Orton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lid posted:

Thinking about it Cena's worst act was after cenawinslol when he was used to sabotage CM Punk's title reign because at that point he didn't need to be the main event. Well that and killing The Nexus but in one of those weird domino effects that lead to Bryan Danielson in the

gently caress I forgot he killed dead one of the most intriguing angles that WWE had produced in awhile with the nexus. Also I guess by proxy being around Cena in storyline killed Matt Cardonas relevancy.

While I guess HHH didn't really suppress anyone who wasnt already fairly high up except Orton at the time.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

algebra testes posted:

As frustrating as Cena was I could at least rationalise he was the top babyface and that's why he won.

My frustration is more with Vince who cut the Nexus angle off soon and didn't push guys like Bryan.

Yea nobody is saying gently caress John Cena or HHH the person, reigns of terror imo are categorized by one person constantly going over at the expense of everything else to the point it makes the product stale because everyone else on the roster looks like a dummy for a long period of time. Like at this point I don't know if Roman reigns could count as a reign of terror because it's not like the rest of the product even has good enough booking to say that if WWE didn't just book reigns as the best coolest and most unbeatable tribal chief that they'd probably make a better product.

Whereas with HHH/Cena outside of the main event there was cool stuff happening, and even the booking involving Cena would be good if they sat back and went "look we have to have competent foils otherwise who cares if Cena notches another victory"

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 7, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

AEW had the extremely good Wardlow vs Luchasaurus lumberjack match last year.

I'd also like to mention Orange Cassidy vs Hardy was a fun lumberjack match with a unique story of the lumberjacks being 90% heels, and Best Friends being the only ones to understand the assignment of what being a lumberjack means.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

All lumberjacks in a lumberjack match should have to dress as a lumberjack.

Also, did the Bone Street Krew every actually accomplish anything? The point was apparently to combat the Kliq but it doesn't seem to have worked.

I mean if the point was to keep people on the card everyone in BSK except, maybe Savio Vega or Crush had decent runs, everyone else either had good runs or had decent runs cut short via injury. I don't see anyone on that roster that was awful and obviously had their spot protected via nepotism, so hard to say.

edit: Thinking about it I don't really see the Kliq having been successful if their goal was to protect Kliq as tippy top dudes. Razor was always an upper midcard dude, Diesel had his run but was subsequently dropped, Shawn was legitimately one of like three or four excellent wrestlers during his run, X-Pac was basically a glorified jobber, HHH didn't really get anything until far after the curtain call and got passed up by Rock/Austin/Taker til like 2000/2001

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 8, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Here is the real one I am sorry for my deception that no one has called out but I don't want to forget I posted the fake one and never post the real one.

I kind of prefer the fake one

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly I feel like they probably lump stables and such under 'southern wrasslin' and of course Vince doesn't think much of wrestling in general, let alone the southern iteration.

Nah, according to stuff I've heard from brother love, my feeling is that Vince latches on to terms that maybe apart of the zeitgeist. It's why in the late 90s you had a ton of stables, gangs if you will, unfortunately the way they go about it the purpose of a stable is to make a breakout star at the expense of the rest, instead of raising the credibility of everyone involved permanently.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

When/How did Adam Cole get his mannerisms over so that it's gotten to where there's such a big crowd reaction to it?

He said the story behind it in the aew podcast he did earlier this year. I forgot what it was but if you want to go listen there's the source.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Chuck Taylor is and should always be a bratty heel.

Yea, Chucky T as a face is real boring comparatively in ring.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

TL posted:

Was that show were half the card was rearranged the day before the show because half the card had elevated liver enzymes? I know it was around that time period.

What's elevated liver enzymes indicative of? Some sort of blood transmitted disease?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

What is Sabu’s best match?

His highest rated meltzer match was ECW Cyberslam 96 with 2 Cold Scorpio and Sabu at 4.5 stars to a 30 minute draw and holy hell that sounds like a banger. I watched 2 Cold and Joey Janela on saturday and that was a banger even though 2 Cold is pushing 60 with not many bumps left on his card.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

top ten favorite wrestlers to watch or top ten best in ring wrestlers in our opinion?

I'm gonna make a very brave, very bold statement that no one will agree with.
Note my list doesn't contain euro, lucha, or japan because my knowledge of those three areas start and end at Naito who is great.

Eddie Kingston, Danhausen, Orange Cassidy, and Sami Zayne.

Abbadon, Th2, Wingmen, Chaos Project, Super Smash Bros, Ryo Mizunami.

Honorable Mention: Naito who is the only Japan only act I know of.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 22, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

On the flip side Japan had some pretty cool stuff going on. Megumi Kudo, Manami Toyota, and Bull Nakano had some bangers in the 90s.

Edit: In America who would have had the best in ring performance and was widely known in the 90's? Would it have been Alundra? Maybe Jazz?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 24, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lol there are people that stan wwe?

I can sorta see in a twisted round about way not liking the AEW product if their kinda booking isn't your thing, but how do you look at current day WWE product and go "yes this is the product that should be the choice of the generation" even if the wrestling was near perfect and wwe didn't have a history of problematic things, the camera work is so objectively bad the constant cuts give me motion sickness if I watch a match too long.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

I think I’ve come to realise through my diving into wrestling that something I get really attached to is charisma or character work. Iinspiration and Maki Itoh spring to mind as wrestlers who don’t have the best in ring skills but have hilarious or compelling characters.

Are there other wrestlers like that whom I should be aware of?

Currently? I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're aware of who is on the AEW Roster, otherwise just go to the AEW roster page and look up most everyone on the undercard's body of work pre-AEW, especially dudes like Joey Janela, Pretty Peter, Colt Cabana, and Nakazawa.

Warhorse, Danhausen, Effy, Allie Katch, Nick Gage would also be some cool stuff to watch.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

What's something/someone in wrestling that you have fond memories of where it felt like a big part of your wrestling watching experience but actually wasn't around for very long?

Ken Shamrock in the WWF, 4/7/97 - 9/21/99 two years five months. 146 televised matches according to Cagematch.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

From Paul Ellering:

I know we laugh about Vince et al being horrendously out of touch, but I can't imagine anyone in that office honestly thinking the following two thoughts about the LOD at the same time in 1992:

1)"The LOD need help getting over as baby faces"
2)"A puppet is the perfect vehicle to get someone over in 1992 as a baby face"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Can someone find me some long running feuds where one side lost literally every match in said feud via pinfall or submission and only "got their heat back" with after match shenanigans and still ended up elevated in the esteem of people for it?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Alaois posted:

every single feud mankind/mick foley ever had in wwe

As funny as this is to say, it's not really true per cage match.

Mick Undertaker - KOTR 96, SummerSlam96
Mick HHH - Shotgun Saturday Night[DQ], Canadian Stampede[Double Countout],SummerSlam 97,Raw.
Mick NAO - Raw, Raw, Raw[DQ], Raw
Mick Austin - Unforgiven[DQ].
Mick Rock - Rock Bottom[ref decision], RAW, HalfTime Heat,

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Austin never beat Bret Hart once, and I'm pretty sure WWE thinks it'll always work like that

IYH Revenge of Taker[DQ],Raw[No Contest], but yes you are correct that the austin never went over with a pin or submission on Bret.

edit: Although looking at the record for Austin it is kind of amazing that I remember Austin/Hart as a huge thing, but really it was only seven months of programming proper with eight televised matches and four of those being multiman matches, and five of those eight being PPV.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 1, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

oh, also, the Luger/Yokozuna nonsense long-term ending in Bret winning the title at Mania 10.

I dont know if this counts, but how about daniel bryans nxt/nexus run, where he ends up dodging getting his legs cut out from under him by john cena?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Zombie Lemur posted:

What other examples are there of vicious, bloodthirsty wrestlers transitioning into family friendly characters like the Sheepherders did?

Taijiri and Kurt Angle.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

I would love to hear some experiences with betting on wrestling - if you follow this as closely as I imagine we mostly do it seems like a daily easy thing to win at surely? That said I remember a guy betting his home on an undertaker WM match the year he lost to lesner

I have this cena-tar because i bet against John Cena once, I dont remember which ppv it was or why I believed so ferventantly that big match john was gonna lose.

Never bet on wrestling.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

what are some wrestling related books you’d be interested in reading that aren’t currently available for sale, subjects, concepts, book styles etc?

I think I'd kind of want a book which details various a storyline in detail. I don't know how you'd organize it, but I'd like it to be detailed from a completely kayfaybe pov and then somehow weave in shoot stuff as an aside section.

for example, a theatrical tale of Austin vs Michaels where it details Austins win at the rumble and goes on WM that year and concludes with HHH kicking Shawn out of DX and then there's a section somewhere that explains some background to each part, such as Shawn being kicked out of DX was due to Shawn needing to take time off due to drugs and lingering injuries from the Taker match.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Can anyone give me a list of people who went over Face Hogan during his first WWF run in a dominant fashion? Doesn't have to be clean, but something in which Hogan gets pinned/submitted and doesn't immediately get up to get his heat back?
Is it as rare as I'm thinking it is, or am I memory holing a lot of people?

Yokozuna and Taker are the only ones I can think of off hand.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CobiWann posted:

How the hell do you give/take a T-Bone Suplex? Especially the one Hook did to QT last night. It looked like death.

Tuck into a ball and hope for the best. It's not a science by any means and lord knows the two days I played around with it in MMA class with crash mats was the last time I've ever wanted to give or take a suplex of any sort. I don't know if pro-wrestling suplexes are really any much different besides the guy taking the suplex giving you a little help in the lift. My guess is that you want to release the suplex in such a way that the guy doesn't over-rotate so they can land more or less flat or on their shoulders if their head is tucked.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 8, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Destroy My Sweater posted:

. I know that wrestling is physically taxing but you'd think that if your livelihood revolved around bodybuilding you could at least do, like, the equivalent of a 10-minute HIIT without dying.

You're underestimating a lot of stuff, in combat sports or pro-wrestling your opponent isn't a perfectly balanced weight and moving optimally. Imagine doing HIIT weight training with a 200 pound, 6 foot cylinder of water, you'd probably die in a few minutes trying to go at a speed that would make pro-wrestling interesting. I've seen newer marathon athletes absolutely die in five minutes of BJJ and my fat rear end can roll at a decent clip for about thirty minutes.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 12, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

Sure there’s an obvious reason I am missing

It's less expensive to fill a show with half AEW talent and half local indy talent instead of 100% contract dudes as well as being able to get a good look at current indy talent they may want to hire. Also as SG said, it helps protect the lower card from looking like complete mooks whose only job is to get run over by upper-card talent.

As much as I would like more time for all my boys stable to wrestle every week it wouldn't be interesting if they got the time losing all the time instead of resting or taking an indy booking instead.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

you can get concussed from a slap to the face pretty easily, especially if you’re taking 30-50 of them inside 3-5 minutes

I wouldn't be surprised if its a combination of pulling the slap and rolling with it and just not thinking about the odd detached retina/concussion

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sex Farm posted:

Has Roman reigns ever had like an emperor or a king gimmick so he's actually reigning over something? I understand that he is a dogman but dogs don't typically reign over things. Is the "head of the table " gimmick about his family or like the head of the table of wrestling, and if so how big is this table

He currently rules over the "Island of Relevancy"(TM) and head of the table is about his family, "The Bloodline"(R)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nystral posted:

Did Icarus, Ophidean, or UltraMantis Black or any of the other big names ever land with other promotions outside of Chikara? It seems like a good portion of them just opted to retire.

I know Chuck Taylor and Orange Cassidy are in AEW but AFAIK they left before Chikara shut down.

Hallowicked/Frightmare has done shots for GCW and ROH. Kimberlee is in Impact.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What ever happened to Wrestlecircus? I remember watching it briefly before I fell out of Wrestling again before AEW kicked off, apparently it dead now. Seemed like a good show.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

Any other notable occurrences?

NWA-Tag Titles where defended on RAW and lost to the Head Bangers.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Zombie Lemur posted:

Another funny story about that match is Kurt Angle going to Mick Foley worried that Taz was going to shoot on him because he completely believed Taz's gimmick and asking what he should do if it happens.

Mick was just like "you're an Olympic gold medalist in actual wrestling..."

Is Taz not shoot trained at all?

As a BJJ dude listening to his commentary, He seems to at least off the cuff seems to have at least a basic understanding of Judo both standing and ground work.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also to me, a non wrestler, it seemed the whole situation could be avoided if Kurt went to Taz before the match and asked him nicely not to hurt him intentionally.

Then Taz would say, "Of course not friend. I will not intentionally hurt you, you will not intentionally hurt me, and we will share a beverage together after the match as co-workers."

You know, like normal people.

A reminder that in a sane rational company of sane rational people we wouldnt even have the possibility of asking "what if Daniel Puder had actually finished the kimura and exploded kurt angles shoulder." Because said company wouldnt have allowed hazing under the guise of improv to happen in the first place.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Who is the most surprising person to have a five star match, and who is the most surprising person to not have one?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Seams posted:

Up until recently Bryan Danielson didn’t have a 5 star match afaik

I'm actually shocked, but apparently that's right. I just assumed he had some sort of 5* banger in RoH.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

fez_machine posted:

True but I was trying to consider the question "most surprising" from an only watches WWE fans perspective because none of the 5 star matches are all that surprising unless you've only seen WWE treat a great wrestler like a complete joke and a jobber.

Having a 5 star match that included Horace Hogan was pretty surprising to me. My only knowledge of that dude was him being a generic NWO mook.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Price Check posted:

What if you limited it to "Most Surprising to get 5* in a Singles Match?"

Michael Elgin? Scott Hall?

Whys Scott Hall surprising? Before he switched to wcw he had some pretty fine matches. Give him someone the caliber of Michaels and not surprising to get a 5*.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Yeah, from a WWE/F only fan perspective, the Bushwhackers are a lot more surprising than Kaientai. Even though they were both comedy jobbers, Kaientai, especially Taka, did some cool poo poo that if you told someone that they had awesome matches in Japan it would be believable. By the time they got to the WWF, the Bushwhackers were already old and couldn’t/weren’t booked to show any of the style that got them famous.

Also Taka didnt start out as a Comedy Jobber either, the WWF attempted to build an entire division around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

I don’t understand the Ali situation - is it legal to deny an employee/contractor the right to leave a job?

Legitimately what is the worse that could happen if he showed up on dynamite this week?

Ali sued for breach of contract and what ever penalties that comes with. AEW possibly sued for tortious interference. Would WWE win? who knows, I don't believe it's ever been put before a judge before, does Ali and AEW want to roll the dice and end up having to give money to vince? probably not.