Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question but I got a month of the Combat Zone streaming service and was wondering if anyone had good/essential/their favorite match reccomendations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone know where I can watch Scott Hall wrestling in Japan/at NJPW? There are clips on youtube but I was hoping to watch full matches/shows

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Those are exactly the type of stuff I was looking for, thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Arquette was such a whiner after that Gage match. He knew what he was getting into, Gage told him in advance "Yeah im gonna hurt you dude" and he whined so much after. For a guy who did deathmatch to try and prove himself he really didnt prove himself.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

lol

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 27, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

My 3 year old nephews favorite thing i literally when i pick him up, flip him over, and "tombstone" him. He'll say "again!" over and over until im exhausted.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Of course your finish is the Tombstone, fuuuck

my longterm ex was a mortician and used to get wicked pissed when id introduce her to new people as Paul Bearer or Ms. Bearer lmao

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Shard posted:

That's the first time in a long time I've seen someone use the word wicked like that

im from boston lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

growing up in dorchester i always thought a Boston townie would be a great wrestling character.

"YOU CAN CAWL THIS THE NEW WOORLD ORDAH OF WRESTLIN KED"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm interested in wrestling school, to those who have done it: is it a full time commitment? Or is it like classes you could do? It's a dream of mine to go but I also have a full time schedule :(

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cool, thank you! Going to start saving up and checking out some local ones

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cavauro posted:

it wouldn't be a bad idea to search for pro wrestling schools within whatever radius you think you could manage to travel and then i bet someone here would know which if any of those are decent based on either the rep of the place or some of the trainers there. if you're having trouble finding anything, you could also search out nearby independent wrestling companies because sometimes they will be associated with either a wrestling school or at least a trainer who might have a looser thing going on

Im def gonna do this! Thank you. I commute into a big city so there's probably a few ones there that I could go to before/after work.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Just learn from YouTube videos like all the best backyarders

That's actually why I'm looking, some friends and I wanna do a backyard show and we practice simple stuff and bumps on padded mats but wanna learn a little more "professionally" so we can do cool stuff and put on a fun backyard show without anyone getting hurt.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

isn't Kvlt one of the CD horror movie people? big get for the PSP roster imo

ive turned heel on the horror thread. All in on PSP now 💪

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Start with something real simple and safe like

https://youtu.be/GcKh0kctniw

please do not doxx my friends and i

that video is hilarious tho, I love that Ricky-from-TPB-esque "FAACK"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Be careful. There are good, honest schools, there also con artists and in one case a school in FL run by a guy on the sex offender list who somehow has been allowed to train minors.

Whar area do you live in?

Good advice, I didn't even think of that! I commute between Boston and the South Shore of Massachusetts.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I feel I'm in the minority (and correct me if im wrong), but I really don't mind when a Wrestler uses a band's music or popular music.

Like if a biker character wants to walk out to a Motorhead song, and it sounds cool, why not. Especially if the song becomes associated with them.

Then again my favorite walkout song is the nWo one so I have garbage taste lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I think plenty of fans like plenty of real songs as entrance music. But I think the complication is that when the entrance song is done by a popular artist the you have a second personality in play. So like someone might have a strong positive reaction to a Megadeath song but some people might laugh at a Limp Bizkit song. That’s an extra factor that isn’t really there with an in-house song. No one has a preexisting opinion of the studio band.

That's a wicked good point actually. Plus it would suck if someone had a signature song from a known band and it becomes someones well-known associated song, then the bands singer is arrested for something terrible like nuking an orphanage and its ruined.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

rujasu posted:

DX by Run DMC? Sucked.

mods

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

e:nm

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kane was also a football player before he got a knee injury

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You could probably make the argument Logan Paul fits that description too with his profession being an internet personality

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Red posted:

I'm trying to figure out what Goldust's original job was. Movie fanatic?

iirc he was originally supposed to be a drag queen obsessed with cinema, the "gold" being the Oscars

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Has the "cut to commercials in the middle of a match" always been a thing or is there a specific point in time they started doing that? I was talking to my friend today about how crazy it is we've gotten to the point at not blinking twice in having to watch ads while there's a match going on. It's like them playing ads during the plays in football.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm rewatching old Nitros now and WCW does it quite a bit. I feel like maybe even more than WWE does. I'm not sure about WWE(F) in this time period.

Oh yeah it's def been a thing my whole life, I'm just curious if it was kinda always common or there was a specific point where it started happening

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

karmicknight posted:

My pure conjecture guess is to look around the start of live broadcasting. If it is happening beforehand I have no loving clue as to its origin point, but afterward I could see it being a function of doing a live broadcast and the Monday Night War leading to an innovation in ratings chasing.

Doing some digging and research, I've come to the conclusion it's pretty much always been a thing in WWE/F/WCW. One explanation I heard is that during the Attitude era matches were often short enough not to be cut during commercials, leading some people to think it was introduced later than it was.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vince himself would probably be a good biopic tbh

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Danhausen is also slinging pre-workout now which is hilarious because he looks like he's a solid 130lbs, but it's also part of the character that he thinks he's bigger than he is so it's kinda semi-clever marketing

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Where can I watch/stream ECW? Peacock only has it edited.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why do people bother complaining about music that doesn't quite fit being used in wrestling? The first loving Wrestlemania opened with "Easy Lover" by Phil Collins.

I love in UFC where it's just a sport and they aren't playing characters and you can just choose any song you want. Some people come out to the weirdest stuff but people don't complain about "that's lame/doesn't fit their character".

I could see if somebody would get upset by like Taker coming out to WAP but in general I think people can walk out to whatever the hell they want as long as it doesn't completely throw off their character. Someone like AJ Styles could come out to anything and it'd work imo

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if i was in the UFC/WWE/any promotion where I had to do a walkout I would have it in my contract they're only allowed to use this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsfnuyyjaB0

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

I instantly think both of Mike Tyson coming to the ring with a single ominous tone playing or in the Key and Peele movie the quote that you know the gang member "Cheddar" is bad news because he does not even need a tough nickname

Key and Peele had a movie?? I gotta see that I love that show

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yes. It is called Keanu. It is... Good? Not as great as I expected, but clearly because Peele was sick of not getting to spread his horror wings.

I just watched the trailer and this movie just flew completely under my radar gonna kill an hour or two with it today!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Who meant the most to wrestling from 2002 - 2012: Orton, Lesnar, Cena or Batista? And if your answer is Cena, whose your second place?

I was born in 1998 so this was the era I grew up watching. Cena was certainly the biggest/most important but Orton was always me and my friends favorite and the guy we loved the most.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've noticed in deathmatch wrestling that women either usually wrestle men or (especially in Japan in what I've watched) women on women deathmatches tend to just be regular wrestling with slightly more color. Is the reason for no real big female on female deathmatches just that it's too niche (I mean look at how long it took for WWE to just take regular women's wrestling seriously) or is there another reason?

Or maybe there's some badass female on female deathmatch wrestlers/matches/promotions and I'm just oblivious to them.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Historically FMW had women's deathmatches. Megumi Kudo vs Combat Toyoda and Megumi Kudo vs. Shark Tsuchiya are two of the all time classics.

Right now in Japan there are really just three big name deathmatch wrestlers who do actual deathmatches, Rina Yamashita, Risa Sera, and Suzu Suzuki so that kinda limits the opportunities to do deathmatches without doing intergender. I'd recommend checking out Risa Sera vs Rina Yamashita from Ice Ribbon's Yokohama Buntai show in 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7JmTzJ2tTY

Thank you! I'm definitely gonna check all these out!

Also, another question: does anyone know the height of the top rope in WWE rings? (measured from the top rope to the ring, not the top rope to the floor/mats)

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 22, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Butting in to add that Risa Sera and Suzu Suzuki are part of the what's probably the first women's deathmatch promotion Prominence

Their twitter: https://twitter.com/prominence2022

and most of their matches are up here (also a bit of Freedoms if you want to explore more modern Japanese deathmatch stuff): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-f_5LnZkQa44fQFb0Q_bJQ

Here's Sera vs. Suzuki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM6vUrS3FH4

There's also the great borderline stuff in AJW (some of their hardcore matches could get absolutely brutal :nws: especially hair vs. hair and their cage matches)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCRGD-c0-xA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxOE56HfXIc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABIm0J9R6fc

Mayumi Ozaki has been doing it forever both in literally every promotion you can name, and her own promotion Oz Academy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0-JuFMupw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJkk2OMm_mk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkpELucaB2I
If you want shindie, here's her in IWA Mid-south
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7279zyQk0CQ

Thanks for this! Can't wait to dive in. That match GEORGE W BUSHI linked was incredible, old school deathmatch with actual real wrestling in it and a slow build to the color and tubes. I like a good 1000000 light tube barb wire gimmick match now and then but it's so refreshing to see a 30 minute deathmatch where it starts out as just wrestling then gradually builds and when the tubes and stuff hit they have a ton of impact.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

After WWE banned blading/blood, how do they deal with just natural cuts/injuries/blood during a match? Like you get thrown into the turnbuckle and genuinely get a little cut, but blood is banned, what happens?

Or is it only INTENTIONAL blading/blood that's banned?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm surprised AEW has to answer to an athletic commission, I guess I always assumed WWE getting out of it applied across the wrestling world.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Shows how much I know about the business side then. Never knew that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

getting a good pump on before you go out is also common but no they dont cut weight. You cut weight before a weigh in then rapidly rehydrate, it's miserable and theres no need for wrestlers to do something so miserable since they dont need to make weight