Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Whoa why didn't anyone tell me this was the Squid Game thread

I don't know if this particular genre has a more definite name than like "thriller" or "suspense" or whatever but I am enamored by these sorts of premise show/films like 13 Game of Death/Battle Royale/Cube/The Circle etc. and goddamn is Squid Game such a beautiful addition to that collection

Best television that's come out this year, easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

God Hole posted:

circle (from Taggart Productions) is literally objectivist propaganda

e: wait are we talking circle (2015) or the circle (2017)?

I definitely meant Circle (though I have also watched "The Circle" and... it definitely fits the bill of objectivist/authenticist propaganda) but it turns out I didn't watch circle, I actually meant

ArmZ posted:

the platform on Netflix

which... I think is forgivable. All these films have similar titles to the point where they kinda blur. Now I am intrigued to watch Circle though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ah, Nolan has really solidified into his "old man who is weirdly obsessed with WW2 poo poo" phase

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I need to watch Death of Stalin again
and In the Thick of It for the first time if I am feeling saucy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Superhero movies are just like the modern versions of "Abbot and Costello meet the Wolf Man" or whatever the poo poo
comfort food - you know what you're going to get the moment you sit down and you turn off your brain and forget about the horrors of the world for 2 hours and RDJ says something charming and Chris Hemsworth flexes his big arms
granted a looooot of them are also just directly propaganda for the US military but that's... whatever. I mean what isn't

The worst part about them is that some people only watch those movies and the conversation is like "Yeah I saw that one too, there sure were a lot of explosions and CGI. I wonder if the next one will also have the main character fight an evil version of themself at the end"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it's wild how accurate Burn After Reading is to career feds too
you'd think they spent years deep undercover to research it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat horror queefs posted:

I can practically guarantee you that they would have no interest in doing this.

The Coen brothers' fundamental interest imo is exploring weird people (or people so profoundly average they seem weird compared to a mainstream film protagonist) struggling against their lack of agency in a chaotic universe.

The "ubermenschen restores the upset status quo" basis of all MCU stories is totally antithetical to this.

True Grit is probably as close as they've gotten to that and presumably that could be a framework for exploring a deeply flawed but still preternaturally talented person but I don't think Marvel (or DC for that matter) would be keen on Tony Stark spending half the movie cramping from alcoholic shits

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

the ending of True Grit can get me a little weepy if i'm not careful.

it's so smart to make the climax not "fill your hands"
killing the "bad guy" is not the redeeming moment for Cogburn, he doesn't even get the big named kill

it's so clever and why superhero movies are comparatively simplistic trash

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i say swears online posted:

about half of buster scruggs was some of the best cinema i've ever seen

looks like i've seen every coen brothers since fargo but nothing before that. what's the best of blood simple, raising arizona, miller's crossing, barton fink or hudsucker proxy

My favorite is Inside Llewyn Davis because I love the folk scene and Llewyn is a horribly broken yet entirely realistic representation of most of the people who made it semi-big in that era

If you liked Scruggs though you should jump into "O Brother, Where Art Thou" it's got the same musical touch and semi-fantastical tint to it and it's just charming as hell

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

O Brother Where Art Thou is a fun rear end movie with a great soundtrack.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Holy poo poo Johnson is way better than Baldwin. He almost has the mannerism down.

he needs to put on a solid 100+ lbs for the role though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

Why are the libs so loving insane about Eternals? I don't get it

studio execs foresaw it bombing so they slathered marketing in a healthy layer of idpol to get the twitter crowd worked up about it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Judakel posted:

i've never seen cgi blood look good

not only does it look like trash but it's piss easy to make gallons and gallons of fake blood out of completely harmless materials
and the way it incorporates into a scene works so much better viscerally to draw the viewer in

which is not to say there aren't places where I've seen fake blood used effectively (exclusively or in conjunction with practical effects) but it needs to be part of an overall stylistic choice rather than just a shortcut

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Judakel posted:

they're cost-cutting on insurance and union labor, mainly

I wouldn't have even considered that. That's lame. The extensive network of union work that is associated with giant productions is arguably one of the only non-terrible parts of the industry

to imagine the next Savini or Bottin could be smothered out of the industry because the producer wants save a buck

damned shame

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKoIQUgyFt0

like I know twelve gauge buck doesn't typically cause entire rooms to detonate into fireballs but, fffuck,

I hoped this was what it was before I even opened it

John Woo gets it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I just saw this
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1458479168010788864?s=20

Marvel Libs gonna be a tasty brew for the next few days if this blows up

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Disney must be pretty loving desperate to keep the subscriptions rolling if they're hastily putting out concept art as some major sort of event

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

Watching The Last Duel (excellent movie btw, big reccommend) made me yearn for a big budget Joan of Arc biopic. Relatedly, how loving long am I gonna have to wait for a big-budget epic Napoleon/Genghis Khan movie

Instead we get triple million dollar budget stinker superhero movies, year after year....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Messenger:_The_Story_of_Joan_of_Arc

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

I've actually seen that Joan of Arc movie, but as far as I remember it wasn't that great

China will release a Genghis Khan epic that takes off worldwide like how Parasite did and it will be snubbed for an Oscar due to sinophobia

It wasn't great but $60 million, Luc Besson, Milla, Hoffman, and Malkovich is about as big budget as it gets for the era and we'll probably never see film made like it ever again (in that it balances the societal poo poo with fairly impressive practical war scenes)
and the dumb period accurate Norman haircuts

Now it'd surely be Scarjo with an undercut and a bunch of battle scenes where she poses and then it cuts to Total War CGI bullshit

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

Honestly though idk how you could even do a Napoleon movie and not have it end up being a turd like Alexander, it'd work best as a miniseries or a conventional two or three seasons, and I guess there's an adaptation of Stanley Kubrick's script in the works at HBO but it might be stuck in development hell.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead style following two french soldiers going through the various escapades, only ever seeing Napoleon on the periphery

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Maybe a prestige miniseries starring Elijah Wood

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah but this is just The Duellists

I had no idea this was a film and it seems to be exactly what I was imaging except my version would have them be semi-bumbling. I'll take it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That movie had a lot of faults but Billy Crudup's voice will forever be Manhattan's in my mind

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hate that everything has to be Whedon-ized now
let something be goofy and sincere at the same time like Maniac, the OA, or Sense8

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

sorry i meant i never watched the anime beebop

Think dirty space jazz club
Like Blade Runner but if everything was kinda like Frank Sinatra "In the Wee Small Hours" kinda cool rather than 80s Neon cool

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

I'm watching Midnight Mass, pretty good so far, liking it a lot. But there's this one thing that chaps my rear end - why the hell there's this one actress in very obvious old lady makeup, very obviously trying very hard for an old lady voice. Like cmon, wtf is this.

Like idk, I'm only 2 eps in, maybe she'll be magically getting young and hot later, or there's going to be some important flashback or some poo poo, but please. Just hire a real older actress, what even is this poo poo. This never works, it's always awful, why do this.

Midnight Mass is awesome

between that, the haunting series, and Doctor Sleep, Flanagan is my new "can do no wrong" horror director of choice

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

it's crazy that Tony Stark is the big uberhero from the marvel universe because, even in that film universe, he's like one of the worst villains

like he makes a "protective" robot AI that is supposed to act above the law to enforce his preferred version of the social order and it leads to the total destruction of an Eastern European country.

this is considered to be kind of bad but mostly just a little oopsie cause it was done with noble intentions. angry people from the ruined country turn up later as one-dimensional villains

he also decided after that the only people who should be trusted to wield superpowers was the US government and if you disagreed then you have to go to jail

Tony Stark being a drunk was supposed to be a character flaw but that's like the only admirable thing about him compared to the rest of his traits

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

wow holy poo poo Midnight Mass turned out soo good

like for all my bitching about the old guy/lady makeup, it just got better each episode end ended strong as gently caress, they executed it perfectly
A+ would recommend

If you liked it and haven't watched through Mike Flanagan's catalogue I highly recommend all of it.
Dr. Sleep (director's cut), Haunting of Hill House, Haunting of Bly Manor, Oculus, Hush
all oozing with his style

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

Is oculus the one with the mirror? I thought that movie was pretty great.

Not a fan of haunting or mass though, every scene is a character doing giant monologues where the writer is really trying to say something deep but it's nothing deeper than stoned conversations you'd have at university. It's just normie angst stuff.

One of the characters in mass is like "I read the bible, the quran, the tao te ching! I read em all and I didn't find god" and another is like "I was a Muslim after 9/11 and I joined the fbi and instead of having me spy on evil Muslims they had me spy on good Muslims!"
Its sorta sorkinesque I guess for lack of a better word.
Also whoever monologues longest wins the argument regardless of how little sense it would make for other characters to be won over.

Having said that, I'm in the minority and they weren't bad, it's just I noticed it halfway thru haunting and so it became too much for me to bear about 3 eps into midnight Mass.
Oculus I remember being one of the better horror movies I've seen this decade though

I definitely agree his work can be a bit indulgent and slow and maudlin but I think for the most part he earns the lingering shots and the drama before diving in to those scenes. They don't all work all the time but it also a nice contrast to other horror in that he uses those scenes to clearly establish the bigger themes but also to hammer home the weakness/vulnerability of his characters in a way that isn't just trapping then in a remote place and forcing them to get beaten up by the scary monster.

And it certainly doesn't hurt that his cinematography is gorgeous. Not Fincher good but in the same family.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aglet56 posted:

except this album is an lp, so wouldn't it be a 33rpm record? so the 45rpm button would make it sound like chipmunks, not extra-slow

it's lp-sized but pressed at 45rpm for... I guess higher fidelity?
More grooves = more sounds?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The only way I would even consider watching it is if they let Ma Dong-seok have the same role again

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Frog Act posted:

the indonesian dude directing the remake did a fantastically fun short for the most recent V/H/S movie and has done some great action movies in the past. i hope he's doing this for the giant fuckoff paycheck and notoriety so he can go back to making movies that are actually worth making.

Oh poo poo yeah - that short was awesome. I haven't seen body horror that well done in like a decade or more

Slightly more on board now but still bring back Ma Dong-seok

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Paul W.S. Anderson was not successful at the box office before Resident Evil but made some decently pretty stupid sci-fi films in Event Horizon and Soldier (and the first Mortal Kombat movie which... okay it actually made fuckton of money on a $20 million budget.)

Johannes Roberts has made mostly low-budget schlock like 47 Meters Down and The Strangers: Prey at Night that made well over 5 times their small budgets back.
I get the temptation of the gamble but it doesn't appear to have paid off. Doesn't seem like Roberts knew how to spend the money to step up his game

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

fun fact about the south korean publishing industry they just sell long books in individual pieces for exactly this reason well that and probably because its much easier to stock bookshelves if all the books are roughly the same size

Dostoyevsky's books were actually initially published serially as well. That, I think, is The Idiot so... it should really be in 4 parts. Karamazov is written as like 10+ books I think, etc.
And it wouldn't be so horrid if he bothered to have them properly re-bound, that's not unheard of either
but that is monstrous work

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Muppets is the best Christmas Carol adaptation of all time by such a large degree it’s not entirely believable.

Somehow my wife had never seen this so we watched it together last year and her assessment: "it was okay."
Michael Caine gives it way more than a movie full of puppets deserves and Marley and Marley is a banger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQeEtYR2Db4

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

they're trying way too hard to just be The Originals Again while one of the bright spots of the prequels was the art design

they literally just went with the rejected McQuarrie designs from the original trilogy

there was barely an ounce of creative vision put into that trilogy that wasn't borrowed from poo poo that got turned down 50 years ago

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Good soup! posted:

Ahhh knew I was forgetting the other big one, charlie brown's Christmas special is absolutely perfect

We watched Santa Claus is Coming to Town this weekend and man the songs in that are just too good, this time of the year I'm always thinking about Put One Foot in Front of the Other

Do they explain how Santa becomes an immortal demigod in that one
I can't remember much except yeah the tunes are rocking

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

man.. I wish I had the confidence to just loving wail until stuff happens
I need to try this as an exercise or something

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

beethoven and mozart and them were all skilled improvisers. there's no better way to make music than to try it and fail a few times

Oh I've got the failing down perfectly. I guess I find the vocalizing the most fascinating part of that, just completely brain off grunting until a melody forms. I've never tried that part

And sure yeah we've all heard the beatles but I love learning about how they wrote considering they were all basically amateurs figuring this poo poo out as they went along and somehow became really fascinating writers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sorry if my music is too macho for you losers

:lol: