Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Zvahl posted:

are you guys talking about Rescue 911 with William Shatner or is this some other show

Was it actually called Emergency 911 in some places? Lots of people call it that for some reason.

Also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
They could've had dinosaurs at Earth's core? Now that might've been a cool movie.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

General Dog posted:

Best movie directed by a mononymous director? Pretty sure it’s better than anything in McG’s oeuvre

You forget Catwoman, directed by Pitof.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Aglet56 posted:

the dark knight really has dropped out of the public discourse, huh? remember when it was the #1 imdb movie?

I remember people were angry that Rifftrax did it because how dare they make fun of the greatest movie ever made!!

I like to think that people missed the whole "Bush died for your sins" message but it is pretty obvious, though maybe not as obvious as "don't let poor people have power" in Dark Knight Rises.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

batman literally builds a massive unchecked illegal surveillance network to hunt the joker down but this totally isnt a george bush analogy because morgan freeman handwrings about the ethical implications while letting batman use it anyway

He knows people will hate him for tapping phones but he does it because he wants to keep us safe! You can die a hero or live long enough to become a villain, and poor old Bush Batman lives too long. We don't deserve him.

Also Batman kidnaps a man in another country but that isn't shown as a big deal; Morgan Freeman even helps him then.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not gonna link it because I'm not gonna subject anyone else to a 40 minute video essay, but there was a very convincing one about how Voyager was good, actually, and that most of the criticisms against it were piddly nerd poo poo like "they couldn't possibly have had that many photon torpedoes" and "they lost too many shuttles with no way to replace them!"

Voyager wasn't good but the amount of vitriol it gets is stupid. A lot of people have this utter hatred for Janeway because she doesn't get the ship back even though that's the whole premise of the show.

mysterious frankie posted:

Didn’t they kinda hint that Worf was at very least hunting and eating the other crew members? I’m guessing there was a whole lot of clearing the throat and looking the other way going on for a few weeks after they cleared that up.

Also the doctor gets her face melted off. But at the end everything's fine and no one has any trauma about turning into monsters and trying to kill each other.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

MoaM posted:

batman got rona

don’t worry, he only got it to troll the Twilight fans

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Serf posted:

300 can be read as a satire, sure. but after seeing it in the theater one of my friends, an army ranger, walked out saying that he couldn't wait to go back to iraq to "kill some more hajis"

no such thing as an anti-war movie. also maybe this person shouldn't be your friend.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Both Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons were surprised that that superhero comics continued to be a thing after Watchmen. They both though that Watchmen was the definite word about superheroes because it showed how broken the idea was. But instead both DC and Marvel just copied the dark and gritty aesthetic.

I don't think they believed Watchmen would end superheroes, they thought superheroes were on the decline already and Watchmen was commentary on a dying genre.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
As always, the correct action is to watch Babylon 5.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Also they seem to be twins as children but as adults Gretel is somehow about fifteen years younger than Hansel.

After the success of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland there was a wave of movies based on fairy tales or public domain fantasies. Some were straightforward but some were edgy and dark like Hansel and Gretel, Red Riding Hood, and Snow White & The Huntsman.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

Wait, what did he do?

Called metoo a witch hunt, complained about men being oppressed, made a joke about identifying as a black trans woman.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/01/04/monty-python-terry-gilliam-black-lesbian-transition-metoo-harvey-weinstein-holy-grail/

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They turned the show into Voyager basically?

It's become Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda. That was a show about a ship ending up hundreds of years in the future at a point where their equivalent of the Federation had fallen apart. Star Trek is ripping off its own ripoff.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

I am watching the lone gunmen series right now for the first time since it aired 20 years ago and it also deals extensively in conspiracies

it's pretty entertaining

There's a new comic book series called Department of Truth in which the villains are trying to alter reality to make conspiracy theories come true. It's included the Flat Earth, the Moon landing, satanic panic, and crisis actors so far. An upcoming issue will cover the phantom time hypothesis.

Action Jacktion has issued a correction as of 06:16 on Dec 10, 2020

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Aglet56 posted:

also, this is one of the horniest movies I've ever seen, even by modern standards. Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint meet on a train and within 5 seconds they are ready to gently caress

oh yeah, the final shot is a train rocketing into a tunnel.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Are the kids blind and deaf?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

I am so loving upset they don't exactly say "THE NAME OF THE PLACE IS BABYLON 5" in the season three opening credits

so loving mad at this

They already had "It failed" and were afraid that also having "The name of the place" would make it too awesome.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Clickbait just does anything to get you to look at it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Those are the Celestials, ancient space gods who created the Eternals. (It was the 1970s and von Däniken was popular.)

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/RealNBAExpert/status/1415944260453601280

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As said, both are criminals. And there's explicitly a scene where Harley goes over the reasons Black Mask would want to kill her just on principle and that she voted for Bernie Sanders is one of them

And Black Mask is a somewhat Bateman-esque wealthy corporate freakjob, despite being coded as extremely misogynistic I find the idea of him being a hardcore #StillWithHer both plausible and hilarious

But are we supposed to dislike Harley for supporting the liberal Sanders?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
As Best Picture winners go, Green Book was at least better than Argo. Man it sucked.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/WendyRogersAZ/status/1447666540732637190

Now I want to see a comic about Superman and Louis.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

indigi posted:

how did the baron get his wife anyway, isn’t that something Leo would of looked into before hiring his personal physician

do they even have his wife? i just remember Yueh isn’t sure if he should believe them but it’s still enough to get him to betray Leto despite the constantly-mentioned betrayal-proof conditioning.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
when you see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQQQI8Vuiy0

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Disney cut an entire song from Muppet Christmas Carol. it's not a good song ("When Love Is Gone") but it has a reprise at the end that now makes no sense.

i am a ball of muppet rage.

The theatrical release cut the song and then some home video version have it and some don't. Disney+ cuts the song but they do include it as an extra.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Good soup! posted:

I'd say Little Drummer Boy but lol I forgot that poo poo opens with the kid's family being brutally loving slaughtered and that's a bit intense for my daughter and her nieces/nephews

E: oh wait my wife corrected me, you don't see it until 10 minutes or so in as a flashback and the dad catches a throwing knife and the mom's death is implied with the fuckin house burning down which is still a bit brutal compared to their other stuff

There's also Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey, where Nestor and his mother are thrown out into a blizzard and his mother freezes to death.

I remember liking The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, the final Rankin/Bass stop-animated special, in which Santa Claus is dying and the various spirits of nature try to decide if he should be saved. Santa is voiced by the same guy who did Mumm-Ra on Thundercats.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Friend has a question:

Did the Soviet union, china, or any other communist country produce utopian sci-fi? If so what was it like

The only major English language ones I know are trek and culture, and everything Russian I've read or seen is bleak.

Andromeda by Ivan Yefremov.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Farm Frenzy posted:

i watched the 1999 film the 13th floor because i vaguely remembered seeing the box at the rental places (???) as a small child and i was surprised to find that its yet another movie that came out in 1999 that has pretty much the same premise as the matrix. how many of those movies did they make?? this is like the fifth now that i can think of off the top of my head without going broad enough to include poo poo like fight club as well

Farm Frenzy posted:

matrix, dark city, existenz, truman show, 13th floor. what am i missing

Bowfinger, sort of. It crosses over with the premise of someone's life being recorded for other people to watch, like The Truman Show, 1999's EDtv and the 1996 Michael Lindsay-Hogg film Guy.

I haven't seen The 13th Floor but I did see the World on a Wire, the 1973 Fassbinder adaptation of the same 1964 book, Simulacron-3, which apparently invented the whole idea of intelligent programs in a virtual reality.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Haven't seen it but there's a 1997 movie called Nirvana about a video game character who achieves sentience and wants to die for good rather than die and be resurrected repeatedly. It also deals with multiple levels of reality.

Being John Malkovich is another one from 1999 about people watching someone else's life. Strange Days might fit in as well.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

loquacius posted:

Equilibrium was "what if The Giver was 1984, but also the matrix because it's 2002 and that's what sells"

e: also a little Fahrenheit 451 sprinkled in there

Also Brave New World, what with the letter T being everywhere.

One dystopia you don't hear about as much is Jack London's The Iron Heel, which is mainly about the establishment of a fascist dictatorship, but the idea is that eventually that government falls and is replaced by a glorious Marxist utopia, and throughout the book are footnotes hinting at how things changed.

pogi posted:

Scrubs is probably the most accurate show I’ve seen about being in a hospital tbh. you’ll be goofing off with your work pals and then somebody will code and there’s a frenzy of activity and they’ll still loving die and then it’s back to goofin’.

I remember reading that some law society declared Night Court as the most realistic courtroom show ever, because it shows that usually you're trying to get through minor stuff and not big dramatic cases. Scrubs was kind of a spiritual successor.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I remember when this premiered, and my sister being excited by it because she was born in the 80s? Remember when you used to get excited for new shows?

Remember when you used to get excited... about anything? :smith:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Is Ms marvel appropriate for little kids to see

I guess there's nothing inappropriate, but it's about teenage stuff that little kids might not care about.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Koirhor posted:

so far I must say every episode of season 11 is total rear end, which is a shame because I don’t hate jodie as the doctor, the writing and plots are just garbage

That seems to be a common opinion: nothing wrong with Whittaker, she's just stuck with bad stories and a bad showrunner. Things probably won't be as bad with RTD coming back, but they still probably won't be that good.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is kind of a shot in the dark but does anyone know which episode of The Critic has Franklin doing a Mrs. Doubtfire parody?

"A Song for Margo."

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
happy brown/taint-area day, everyone

https://twitter.com/thatkevinsmith/status/2554608773

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Was Fringe good?

I remember liking it though it's been a while. It has standalone episodes and an ongoing story that actually goes somewhere. The fourth season gets bad though.

Paper Girls is a new show that I thought was pretty good, though the character interactions are more interesting than the science fiction plot. I'm not sure how c-spam it is.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Lowly Worm kicks rear end. His car is an apple.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

R. Crumb gets to choose how he wants to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Cousin Larry from Perfect Strangers is on She-Hulk therefore it's good