Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
So this is kinda like if Nixon just gave up his tapes voluntarily, convinced that they would exonerate him?

Donald J Trump is the stupidest man alive, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its kinda more blatant than the nixon tapes.

Hahaha, well that's really saying something.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

hcreight posted:

He can't remember the full names of The Squad, can he?

Absolutely not.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

Honest Abe ...

I'm done. His stupidity has broken me. My faith that we are all children of God, mother's childs, I'm not sure that's viable in the face of this moron.

This man is irredeemably stupid. He's so goddamn dumb, that I cannot conceive of his stupidity. I try to think what's the dumbest loving thing he could do or say...

Every loving time it's dumber. He is more stupid that I can mentally model.

Welcome to Earth! All the devils are here.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lycus posted:

Still no one's taught him how to use an apostrophe?

Trump cannot be taught. It's one of his essential qualities

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

E: NM

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Imagine getting so upset because a LITERAL CHILD has challenged your world view and you have completely no rebuttal or defense of your world view against it so you just launch a stream of personal attacks against them. Someone who is, again, a LITERAL CHILD

Maybe deep down right wingers realise that children are way, way smarter than them, and they resent it. Just like they resent everything, except maybe cruelty

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

That’s the same face Danny Devito makes when he knows he’s too sauced to be out in public but it’s too late to do anything about it

I guess DeVito is kinda the anti-Trump - very short, very left wing, and very, very cool

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

'risky' is one way to put it, lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Amazing Zimmo posted:

:agreed:

She's stronger than I'll ever be

and infinitely stronger than any of these loving ghouls

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Parliamentary systems have the problem of overrepresenting fringe nutters like UKIP and the DUP.

UKIP have never held a parliamentary seat, and certainly never will - the odds of the Brexit Party gaining one, even with their current popularity, is slim. Literally one half of the USA's two-party system is nothing but fringe nutters.

Mahoning posted:

Yeah the UK parliament sure seems like it is......functioning?

It's doing pretty well curtailing the government, yeah.

Remember that all the UK's current madness is the result of a referendum. The government promised it, the government ran it.

The UK's political system is a basket case for all kinds of reasons, but the parliamentary system isn't it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Yeah when I first had them with my wisdom teeth out I was all "I only used half the bottle...I'm gonna enjoy the gently caress out of these after hard days because they make me happy/go right to sleep at night" and would have totally re-upped the hydrocodine if I'd been prescribed more.

Second time was after I broke my ankle and had some weird experiences with other painkillers and anesthesia. The night I spent in the ER room they set my ankle so I'd gently caress it up less and put it in a plaster cast overnight because they had a bone setter there that night but the bone surgeon wasn't gonna show up until her normal shift in the morning. My leg swelled up so big in that cast I was literally in so much pain the morphine they gave me did nothing until they figured out the pain was from my leg trying to crack open the cast. One trashbag of ice over my cast and I was out like a light. The next morning I was put under anesthesia so they could slice open both sides of my shattered ankle at once (I broke it in 3 places simultaneously), and when I woke up I had the most hosed up reaction to the anesthesia: I woke up with my heart pounding in my chest, my adrenaline flowing and I was angry even as my head was fuzzy from the drugs. Like I legitimately would have tried to start a fistfight with some poor orderly if I hadn't also been too loving drugged to really do anything but lay there and drool for the next 20 minutes. By the time I was able to recover enough to think I realized that I hadn't been abducted by aliens or some shadow government project (not even joking: those were the paranoid thoughts going through my head) and Iwas just loco from whatever they knocked me out with. Still took a good half hour after they moved me from the recovery clinic to my room to calm myself enough to pass out again.

Between those weird reactions to morphine and the anesthesia I looked what I was feeling from the hydrocodine they gave me and it kinda freaked an older and wiser me out. After about a week I tried to manage the pain with ibuprophen except when it was really bad (i.e.: I banged my cast against something). To be honest, the hydrocodine tended to put me out and a lot of sleep was probably exactly what I needed the first couple of weeks, but there was that underlying "too good to be true" happy that made my skin crawl when it wore off and my head was clear.

FWIW that's a pretty common response to anaesthesia

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Alkydere posted:

It freaked me out and I've had general anesthesia before and sense, never had that reaction. I'm normally a zen and level headed guy so suddenly waking up, mind confused and drugged while the adrenaline pumps and not knowing where I am (and admittedly for a while who I am) and thinking I've been kidnapped for some B-rated thriller plot is not a state of mind I enjoy being in.

Brain meats are weird! Waking up from anaesthesia is essentially 'you're going to act like a drunk - but which kind?!'

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Given how erratic Trump’s been recently - even by his standards - I don't think it's out of the question he'd call for mass violence or even for his political enemies to be killed. He's completely batshit now, I suspect Syria was just the start of it.

gently caress knows what the consequences would be, I've no desire or business prognosticating about that

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Can the US unilaterally dissolve NATO de jure, or would it just be de facto given its military contribution?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Remind everyone that as a country we have a history of killing people for having poo poo we want, and the billionaires have a lot of that

I mean, it's reasonable to say that given that mindset + American exceptionalism that wouldn't bother them very much

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Gatts posted:

One of the thoughts i have at times is that we have poor masters. Corrupt, mismanaged, selfish and destructive masters. If they would balance and actually do good and be just and advance humanity and the world there'd be less bitching. But they are feeble minded and arent capable of it.

The level of wealth and power our masters have amassed makes them literally, actually psychopathic. We know this practically and even scientifically. They're incapable of good intentions (beyond maybe their personal lives and class interests)

There are not and never will be good masters. 'Good Master' is an oxymoron

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

No, the left should refuse all alliances and all compromises so that they never have any power or ability to make any changes, because it’s more important that leftists feel smugly superior than it is that they make any small steps towards fixing problems

I mean, that's exactly what the far right did, and it worked very well for them.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Do you think Donny’s one of those old people who only sleeps 5 hours a night?

It's well documented that he is, and has been for a long time. He considers sleep to be for the weak. Hence that hilarious story about him playing Tiny Dancer on repeat at exceptionally high volume on Air Force One to ensure no-one else slept either.

The obvious stimulant abuse might be another factor

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

loving hell :smith:

No words. Except maybe that Donald Trump is loving lucky there is no god. May what remains of his miserable life be painful

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ED nm not worth it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/LordHasan/status/1181939501754720257?s=19

The answer of course is no. Same with the imprisoned members of MOVE. Forgiveness only applies to white people that murder black people.

https://twitter.com/crimethinc/status/1182575514969628672?s=19

:smith:

loving hell :smith:

I can't express how much I hate Donald Trump. I know this is hardly a new or interesting statement, and yet.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

This man's mind is like a busted cd, just skipping and skipping endlessly

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Own the libs kids

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Helith posted:

I’m sorry, but is he living in opposite land or something?
Oh no, we made the world a better place by tackling disease and climate change. The horror!

Conservatives are nihilistic death cultists

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

e.pilot posted:

The thing that most boggles my mind that I can’t wrap my head around, is that people are still supporting him, vehemently so. Watching my parents just fall in line and continue to follow his every word is just painful in a way I can’t quite articulate.

One of the less talked about effects of Trump (and Brexit over here in the UK) is how they're absolutely destroying families.

I limit how much I talk with my father now, and we both have very specific conversational lines we (usually I) don't cross, because we both know we'll probably fall out permanently if we actually discuss things. I make sure I leave the room whenever he starts talking politics or watches the news.

Going home used to be a relief for me, but now it's just constant, simmering tension.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

These fucken ghouls

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Can we just talk about how much these freaks clearly dislike kids

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1188944247535198209

A personal maxim is that people who hate kids and/or animals - and especially those who make a point of it - are terrible and cannot be trusted. I understand being a bit awkward or uncomfortable around them, but genuine dislike is a huge red flag.

Obviously this is thuddingly redundant when it comes to Donald J Trump, platonic ideal of grotesque hatred and ignorance

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It's always great when we get these glimpses into the mindset of people who think that humans are divided into Good Guys and Bad Guys. Not like, on an individual, supervillain/hero level, but on an ethnic/national level. There's Good Guys (us, and the people we say are our allies), and there's Bad Guys — as in Evil Peoples. Like entire ethnic groups and nationalities that are inherently evil, like "enemy planet" level evil.

Oh sure, There Are Exceptions; you can have "one of the good ones" types of individual people that maybe you know personally. But just suggest that this guy is from the SOVIET UNION or UKRAINE (whichever, they're all "russia" and therefore Evil) and immediately he is suspect. He's as liable to receive a signal from the mothership and flip his Sleeper Cell gene as that guy down the street who says he immigrated from Iran or Lebanon (which is to say, very).

It's just so ... disappointing I guess is the only word that really fits, that humanity is still at this level where we can never bring ourselves to say "look, we're all Just People"—where it's like some kind of subversive revolutionary concept that every human being in the world is just trying to live their lives, that we all are basically more inclined to try to do good things for our families and our communities than to become kamikaze bombs trying to destroy people halfway around the world. I don't know why this cartoon tribalistic nonsense is so irresistible to us as a species, but we're never going to stamp it out it seems. Best we can do is keep it marginalized and shamed. Ugh

FWIW if it wasn't stoked relentlessly by your (and our) psychotic media it would be rather less of an issue. And that's fixable.

With legislation and nationalisation and guillotines

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

All true.

And it's not just the cold war -- there's also no longer a big scary stalinist dystopia to point at, and a lot of Russians are nearly as badly-off under Putin/hypercapitalism.

A lot of Russians are worse off under hypercapitalism. IIRC life expectancy nosedived after the Berlin Wall fell, and people essentially stopped having kids due to all the chaos, so they wound up with basically a lost generation

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

That kid was being a smug piece of poo poo flaunting what he felt was his open white supremacy

gently caress him, he is NOT the victim and how DARE you try to take the language of victims and the oppressed and attempt to apply it to him in some sort of galaxy-brain #bothsides argument that is really just ignorant-as-gently caress centrism

TDD is a self-identified republican so don't think he's going 'both sides' with this

EDIT - this has already been addressed, apologies

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I guess we're suspending the "don't post about other posters" rule when it comes to me for some reason, so I'll just correct this point. I didn't vote for Trump, and switched my affiliation to independent the day after Trumps "both sides" presser. I'll be voting Dem in 2020. People change, and I've definitely moderated my positions over time, in part because of the people here who are well-read and passionate about politics.

(Also HOLY poo poo I started getting spammed with polling calls the second I switched my registration, pollsters love independents I guess)

Cool, glad to hear it. Mea culpa (on this, you're still chatting nonsense about The Covington Kid)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Thank god the police shot the place up to smithereens, that shoplifter might have shot the place up to smithereens

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ManBoyChef posted:

They really don't care about reality. How do you debate people that fundamentally disagree about what reality is? It just seems like we are talking past each other and there is no way to convince these folks that they may be wrong and to follow the evidence. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I'd like to be able to talk to my family about politics at some point but its so frustrating when we can't agree on what is real.

I'm not joking or being a dick when I say you almost certainly can't. Your diagnosis is correct - the realities are incommensurable, and even if you find some common ground you came to it from different places and you'll be going to different places afterwards.

These people can't be reasoned with or converted, only defeated. It sucks when it's people close to you, but the only way I've found to deal with is to never talk about politics with them, and if they try to anyway (they will) remove yourself from the situation. Fake a phone call, go to the toilet, whatever it takes. For your own health, frankly.

Or sever

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ringo Star Get posted:

I honestly can't wait to see how Trump does in a debate now that he's had 4 years of terrible poo poo performance in the public eye, along with dealing with an impeachment.

There's also the fact that his brain is even more liquidified than it was. 2016 Trump was an incoherent mess but he was a master orator compared to him now

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sardine Wit posted:

Fear doesn't stop bigots, it just validates them.

Regardless of this particular case - nah, it definitely does. It's antifa 101

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Which is still a win.

It's realistically the only win possible, barring a tiny percentage of Damascus moments

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Ah fair enough, it is just hard not to question devisive memes these days.

It's not the memes doing the divisiveness

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Speaking of Bernie Sanders, I dunno if it's begun for you guys, but the purity races in my circles of friends for Bernie above all other Dem candidates has begun

Saw someone bitching about Warren being ok with Bill Gates bc clearly she's just cuddling up to monied interests. Dude's a well-known philanthropist! Jeff Bezos he ain't.

Billionaire philanthropy is bullshit, all billionaires are a danger to society, gently caress Bill Gates, Warren is demonstrably just another Obama

If you would like to know why this is come to the Dem Primary thread, sorry to the thread for talking about primary candidates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Philanthropy is a sham. It's a rich person hobby where they give a small percentage of their wealth away so people are cool with them stealing billions of dollars.

See Wilde, Oscar, 'The Soul of Man Under Socialism'