Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

‪Trump officials threaten to withhold highway funds from Calif., saying state has ‘worst air quality’ in U.S., in escalation of feud

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...id=ss_tw‬

Guess Gavin Newsom is gonna have to investigate one of Trump's opponents as well.

Obviously he's lying about that information but out of curiosity I decided to find out what state does have the worst air quality. Surprisingly it is not West Virginia or Kentucky or any of the other major coal country areas, but in fact it's Louisiana. California is the 9th best, so it's solidly in the top 20% of states for good air quality.

source (arranged from best air quality to worst)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Is Lewis just coming on board now?

Pretty much, he was surprisingly noncommittal until recently.

Politico (ugh) story from 9/12/2019

quote:

Rep. John Lewis has called Donald Trump an illegitimate leader and boycotted his inauguration, but he's remained conspicuously silent on demands for the president's impeachment.

Despite his silence, advocates for Trump's removal see the civil rights icon — a man Democrats describe as the conscience of their caucus — as a singularly powerful potential ally, one of the last publicly undecided lawmakers who could change the calculus inside the Democratic caucus. And Lewis himself says an announcement on impeachment is almost at hand.

Story goes onto say Lewis probably wouldn't make a push for impeachment unless he had Pelosi's blessing which, to be honest I don't know how true that is, but more importantly apparently a lot of members of the Congressional Black Caucus have been waiting for him to make a move. If true, it's going to be more than just him declaring for impeachment.

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah but who is that first crack in the drat?

Mitt or Rubio?

No one in the house obviously.

Neither, they're both spineless cowards. Rubio just thinks he can poo poo out bible verses randomly and Romney is Romney.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

if they were smart they'd make it go on through the election.

Also I don't think there's a rigid timetable for these sorts of hearings, but I don't know for certain.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Caros posted:

So this means one of what, four things?

1. Somehow the call actually isn't bad.
2. The call is horrific but Trump thinks he can ride the wave.
3. The transcript is edited.
4. The transcript has just enough wink wink nudge nudge for republicans to hold their tongues.

I'm erring on the last, but #2 is peak.

5. It's of a different call
6. He backs off on releasing it because of spurious reasons like "Democrats/the press were mean to me"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

If you guys haven't read it yet, I'd suggest reading Woodward and Bernstein's follow up book, The Final Days, which covers the impeachment and eventual resignation of Nixon. I think we're gonna see a lot of similar poo poo from back then as Trump as fights to control the message and control the information he releases

Only difference is I'm not going to feel any sort of sympathy for Trump when it all finally collapses around him.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgP8Vlx9kas

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

In case you wondered what the GOP response will be. Ga GOP Congressman

https://twitter.com/Buddy_Carter/status/1176571780045185027?s=20

So basically their response to anything regarding an investigation to Trump then. "oh they're just sore losers, he didn't do anything wrong, they don't really care" and other hypocritical bullshit statements.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ripoff posted:

Yeah this administration is so corrupt I had forgotten that’s a thing. Jesus, I hope that Trump achieves a moment of cognitive clarity and throws McConnel and his wife under the bus in these impeachment hearings.

Currently she's being investigated for conflicts of interest as well (namely using her position to benefit her family's shipping company) so that's fun.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When is Pelosi going to speak?

I think she's scheduled for 5PM

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This could be true given this

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Donald's now playing the greatest hits again

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176606660279898112

EDIT: not even a week after the last time he tweeted this :laffo:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1174697450948497408

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also I'm sure in Trump's diseased brain he thinks Maxine Waters is involved because she hates him, and not because she's the Chair of the House Financial Services Committee.*

*well ok it could also partially be because she hates him, but who could blame her.

Ron Howard Voice: The transcript did not actually exist.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

His next public appearance is gonna be a toot.

I was actually expecting him to try to do a live speech to pre-empt Pelosi but I forgot he's a huge coward who would rather tweet angrily.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CubanMissile posted:

The party line. Chris Stewart is on CNN right now saying the same poo poo. Dems don’t even have the facts yet and will end up being “embarrassed” by this like they were about Kavanaugh. :rolleyes:

Of course, they know that the whole point of this inquiry being formally launched is to get the facts but the GOP relies on everyone being too stupid or ill-informed to know that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah we might see a man stroke out on television.

So you're saying he's gone even beyond Zell Miller for incoherent southern senatorial rage?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PLEASE BUY MY TACKY poo poo SO I CAN AFFORD LEGAL FEES (even though I'm rich, honest) - DJT

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Edmund Lava posted:

Gabbard stated she’s not for it either. What the gently caress is going on in Hawaii?

Trump likes Modi, Tulsi likes Modi. Tulsi is a bad Democrat.

DJT Jr. is going to die alone and unloved and more importantly his dad is never going to show appreciation for all the treason he tried to commit, or any other sort of affection.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So I actually read the article and watched the video because I'm like 90% sure my dad did / will, and I wanna be able to rebut that poo poo.

So.
In the video, Biden brags about dickwaving the Ukranians into firing the prosecutor or else he'll get back on a plane and they won't get $1 billion in aid. So that's hosed up, and I don't think that's how the world should work - but as right wingers argue, that's how the world does work. (This will likely be a decent point to throw back at anyone making these arguments in your life, it staggers them a bit.)
So gently caress that, it's dumb and dirty politics but it's not out of the norm.

But this all then only fits into the right-wing narrative if you conveniently ignore the facts that the prosecutor
A: had shelved the investigation like 6 months earlier (right?), and
B: was deemed to be crooked by our intelligence community and needed to be replaced (i guess? Haven't done a ton more reading so if someone can tell me exactly how we came to the "he needs to be replaced" determination I'd much appreciate it),

About B, it wasn't just the US that wanted him gone, the EU wanted him out because he was stonewalling judicial reforms that Ukraine had agreed to implement (because it would have reduced the amount of power he had). Basically he was pissing off a lot of people both inside and outside of the country.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

AOC introducing more cool and good poo poo. Some people forget that we don't need a Democratic President to introduce sweeping legislation. She moved the needle big time with the Green New Deal, so hopefully this does the same.

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1176813597021720576

Also, wtf, that gigantic microphone and someone forgot to turn it on or what?

The pickups on the Blue Yeti are not at the top of it, and the ones at the back won't pick up anything depending on the pattern used. The microphone isn't set up right (it should be oriented more vertically). This isn't a dig, just an observation.

RandomBlue posted:

LOL, of loving course. Thanks for confirming the report is bad for you, Trump, you loving moron.

This explains why they were so quick to say they'd release it, they think they can just pass off a redacted or edited report/transcript. Of course as you said this only confirms the report is bad for the administration.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 25, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I didn't realize Hideo Kojima was now in charge of Trump's twitter account
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/376424398023962624

"United States been berry berry good to Ukraine" - Donald John Trump.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Strange Poon posted:

Can Barr please get rolled up in this since it's obvious Trump is telling them that Barr is looking to cooperate?

The fact that William "I covered up Iran-Contra" Barr has escaped any sort of scrutiny for this long is frustrating but I will laugh if this is what undoes him.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

CNN(or maybe it was MSNBC?) this morning was pushing "a bunch of Democrats have called me and they are worried Pelosi went in too early, what if the transcript is very good???"

welp

To be fair, the transcript was very good

For Democrats :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Yes it's very appropriate that the President asked Ukraine to locate a physical server that the perfidious DNC somehow sent to them to keep it out of the hands of the FBI" gently caress off Graham, you absolute southern-fried fascist. There is more to this than impeaching a president over getting a beej in the oval office.

EDIT:

DC Murderverse posted:

yeah as an Iowan who's been following this story from the outset, the racist tweets were a pair of dumb jokes made 7 years ago when the dude was 16 that were based off of Tosh.0 jokes. He made a very good public apology where he basically said "yeah those jokes were gross and the stuff I thought was funny back then makes me sick, since then I've learned why those are wrong and I strive to do better," which sorta bears out with the whole "helped raise over a million dollars for a children's hospital" thing.

This basically sounds a lot like the James Gunn thing then. He did some stupid things years ago, apologized for it in a non lovely way, and has tried to do better, but people love to falsely equivocate it against people who said bad poo poo in the past and are still saying bad poo poo now.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hobbez posted:

Idk seems like the manuscript makes things look pretty ok for Trump. No direct demand for exchange of aid for an investigation.

Not great. Unlikely criminal.

You guys dying for a Trump comeuppance will likely be disappointed... again

Lindsey Graham sockpuppet account spotted.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"The corruption is everywhere in the Trump administration" is like saying "water is wet"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Meatball posted:

At this rate, I expect trump to release the piss tape sometime next week in an effort to exonerate himself.

:mitt: *upon viewing the tape* "Lemon. Wet. Good"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I mean, I think we're all feeling this way.

I'm really not surprised by this, however. Of course Barr wouldn't recuse himself.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Unfortunately, a lot of #NeverTrump types (and #Resistance types) care more about Trump's style than his substance. They'd rather have someone who is socially reactionary but doesn't embarrass them on the world stage quite as much.

Pence caused an HIV outbreak in his own state. He's an embarassment, don't you worry.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That is a perfect picture for such an obvious line of bullshit.

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m thinking about the Trump tweet where he says he wants the transcript to get out because it’s “a perfect call” that’ll surprise everyone. “A perfect call” is just such a weird thing to say.

He likes to use "perfect", "huge", "the best" to refer to things involving him so why wouldn't he do that for this phone call.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

nixon is still pretty much considered a failure despite a reasonably successful presidential term ignoring the one minor issue

I mean there was a fair amount of rehabilitation of said issue, such in that people started wondering what Nixon ever really did wrong in the first place.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

zero, especially as the house has no jurisdiction to investigate the senate

at the end of the day trump is beloved by enough of the republican base that if you go against him enough he comes out against you you're likely to lose your primary, and that's on matters much more minor than actually deposing him

I mean, Trump-backed candidates haven't exactly been winning primaries either, much less full electoins.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is stupid.

That's not what the article says at all. Literally nothing about focusing only on the call, nothing about "end of the year"

In fact

the article in question posted:

Democratic leaders emerged from the closed-door meeting declaring that their impeachment inquiry was urgent. But multiple lawmakers, including House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer of Maryland, confirmed that there was still no specific timeline, and that the House would not cut short its scheduled two-week recess.

“The reality is, we want to move expeditiously, but there’s no timeline. There’s no, ‘We gotta do something by X date,’” Hoyer told POLITICO. “We want to do it right. We want to do it expeditiously and right.”

and

quote:

Democrats held a full caucus meeting Wednesday morning as their leaders continued to hash out an impeachment strategy. Rank-and-file lawmakers were vexed at the lack of details about how to carry out Pelosi’s call to action.

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), a longtime impeachment supporter who chairs the House Financial Services Committee, said her panel would not be doing anything differently when it comes to its investigations, which center on potential financial crimes.

According to several lawmakers and aides, Pelosi did not provide a timetable for the completion of its inquiry, leading some to question whether Democrats’ new phase would be any different than the already-ongoing investigation being led by the House Judiciary Committee and supported by other congressional panels.

Democrats view the emergence of the whistleblower as the motivation needed to accelerate efforts to impeach Trump. The White House’s role in blocking the complaint — which was characterized as “urgent” by an intelligence community watchdog — from reaching Congress motivated even Democrats in swing districts to come off the sidelines in favor of impeachment proceedings, citing urgent national security concerns.

I even searched the article for "end of the year" (or even just "year"). It's not loving there. The tweet is misleading, and once again I wonder why anybody in this thread takes a tweet summary at face value on anything because this poo poo happens over and over and over again.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

the tweet is from the author of the article, so i presume that he is reporting additional information he has developed to supplement the article

weird how it's not in the article, something that could easily be updated, then.

Almost like it's misleading.

EDIT: They updated it without even mentioning that they did, I only figured it out because of the 2:09 PM timestamp for the article vs. a 2PM Tweet time.

quote:

Though there's no explicit timeframe to act, some Democrats said they were hopeful articles could be considered by the end of the year or even sooner.

"I think focusing on this Ukrainian scandal singularly is important," said Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) "I think we have to act quickly. But not with haste."

So again, not even a consensus. Not even a majority. Just "some Democrats" with Lieu named specifically. Tweet's misleading.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 25, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

you've cracked the ca....oh

Yeah I already edited my post because they updated the article without even saying that they did. That information was not there in the initial release. However, that still doesn't say what you want it to say. "some democrats" doesn't equal a majority of democrats, or "an increasing number of democrats" and hey you even left off the part where Ted Lieu says that yes, we should focus on the Ukraine call, but not hastily.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 25, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wow that sure sounds like consensus to me...said nobody ever. There's still no timetable given so this still doesn't mean anything yet.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

All the Democrat/adjacent pundits and panelists I've seen this morning are parroting the "we need to laser focus on this specific thing only" strategy :smith:

Ok cool. It still doesn't change the fact that the initial tweet from Politico

1. Referenced an article that didn't say what the tweet was saying until
2. It was edited in 10 minutes later and
3. Still doesn't undo the fact that (as of this moment) there is no consensus on this, that there is no timetable, that Maxine Waters is still investigating financial crimes, etc.

With the addition of the issue of the other charges against trump being tied up in the courts wheras Ukraine is not, I get why they're considering this tactic. I don't even agree with it, but I also don't agree with taking tweets at face value from anywhere, especially goddamn politico. That it "became" true post-facto doesn't make shooting from the hip any better.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Like everyone else that works with Trump, the Ukranian President is left holding the bag.

:chaostrump: "Thanks for being here to help me cover my tracks, by the way you're on your own re: Putin"

Herstory Begins Now posted:

jfc if it is so bad that the top 3 people were all willing to quit over whatever tf went on. That's so far into unprecedented that idk what to even make of it

I'm also thinking the hand-picked replacement has, miraculously, seen the pattern with people who are in Trump's orbit and decided he wanted no part of being another Flynn, or Papadopalous, or Lewandowski, or Cohen, or Manafort, etc.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 25, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Should I be concerned that Nunes is saying anything about this?

...I'm honestly not sure what he can do to gently caress this up but I'm sure he's going to try because he's Devin Nunes, incompetent fixer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Did Nunes then run back into the White House to tell daddy?

"Just a little more treason and I'll get that DNI job for sure" - Devin Nunes, probably.