Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

josh04 posted:

Dawn on the first day!

- 745 hours remain until Brexit -

jesus loving christ don't start with this poo poo again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You've, uh, seen your avatar, right?

yeah that was the last time someone thought it was oh so funny

funny enough to post literally every day for 3 months

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Untitled Goose Game sequel looking good already

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Across the middle surely :colbert:

good loving luck demilitarising Birmingham

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bump_fn posted:

in case you wanted some proper feel-good news from america the cop who broke into her neighbors home and shot him got convicted of murder
https://twitter.com/JasonWhitely/status/1179059345935470592

:discourse:

good

there is no way I'm clicking on either of those hashtags though

e: tfw you want to go outside but it's pissing down

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 1, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Niric posted:

Lib Dems going full pro-Tory, anti-Whig and literally demanding the Queen be installed as PM:

~no party politics~ says the leader of the party that is going full party politics by refusing to install the leader of Labour as PM

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tarnop posted:

Someone on twitter posted about the questions that can lead up to them asking about preference for PM in polls, and they are absolutely designed to get you angry about specific poo poo beforehand

pretend I posted the video from Yes Minister about opinion polls

e: this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
someone needs to buy "it is a boots analogy"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Say what you like about Boris but he’s a smart, funny & charming guy, and his relentlessly positive message is a blessed relief after all the doom-and-gloom Remoaning.

If he can deliver Brexit, he’ll be a national hero. We’re all sick of this pathetic partisan farce.

Boris don't you have other things you should be doing rn

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I can't visualise this "Corbyn is a boot" thing, Azza Bamboo can you convert it into a political cartoon?

would it help if we came up with some Sun-level pun nicknames for him

Jeremy Corboot
Jeremy Crocbyn
Wellymy Corbyn

etc

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So it's literally the May Deal but with some handwaviness about "democracy", presumably meaning that they'll do some kind of referendum in NI?

AFAICT that just means "Stormont can deal with it"

the fact that Stormont currently couldn't agree on whether to breathe oxygen presumably doesn't bother Johnson in the slightest

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the rules are important because it means that Labour and the Tories have to be given equal time

which means that the time the media give over to Tories yelling incoherently about Jeremy StalinHitlerVenezuela Corbyn has to be matched with Labour holding big events where they launch popular new policies

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

radmonger posted:

There is a reason the Tories are keen on the early election that all opposition parties are trying to delay.

it's because they want to gently caress around with election timing so we automatically leave on 31st October with No Deal, OP

marktheando posted:

As I said this didn't help at all in the Euro elections. I think people know Corbyn by this point, two years later, you aren't going to get such a dramatic turnaround again.

I'm not making actual predictions here though, with all the vote splitting on the centre and the right I think this election will be pretty much impossible to predict.

a) European election results basically never correlate with GE results since many people don't bother to vote at all and many others treat it as a protest vote
b) unlike a GE the European campaign didn't feature a manifesto with multiple new and popular policies

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

marktheando posted:

Terry Pratchett's thing about boots is the UKMT equivalent of centrist twitter being obsessed with Harry Potter I guess

Corbyn has always polled terribly as best PM, even in 2017 when Labour did well, it's true. So fair enough to ignore that. It's the Labour vote share compared to the tories I'm more worried about. And those numbers only moving a very small amount as Boris does incredibly stupid insane things and pursues no deal brexit.

so if we ignore some of the polling because results have shown that it's not a good predictor of electoral success

maybe we should also ignore the rest of the polling because results have shown that it's not a good predictor of electoral success

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

marktheando posted:

Ignoring all polling is stupid. You can recognise the flaws in polling without throwing them all out. Without polling you aren't left with much information on what people are thinking about their politicians.

Even if you assume that every poll is vastly overestimating the tories and underestimating labour, then I'd want to see some movement in the right direction, which has been very limited recently. No Deal Brexit is still the most popular choice with the loving idiots that are British voters and the tories are promising that.

how about we pay attention to the pollsters with a track record of success, like say predicting the last election correctly

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I hope they're close by so you can get from the latter to the former at a moment's notice

if TCC has taught me anything it's that the latter makes the former unnecessary for long periods of time

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Haha this is genius and I'm surprised I haven't seen this at any point before in the last three years

your UKIP mum needs to start upping her game

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jedit posted:

There's no greed involved because the prices haven't really risen at all. The pound has simply fallen so much in the last three years that £1.20 now is worth what £1 was on the day of the EU referendum.

why do you think that John Lewis is apparently paying service charges in dollars

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

If the press and the monarchy could destroy each other that'd be just dandy.

just to prove there's a Pratchett quote for every occasion:

"it's like watching a wasp landing on a nettle: someone's going to get stung and you don't care who"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You guys should be aware that Spitting Image is coming back.

(Smallpox status unconfirmed)

lol how long have they had this planned for Harry's puppet still to have that much hair

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Junior G-man posted:

You can only wish that one day your brainspiders grow this large and powerful.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1180503261926821890?s=19

What a man, what a thinker.

a government of the centrists, by the centrists, for the centrists

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

I have to say festivals like Glastonbury just seem like disgustingly crowded shitholes that would induce a dozen panic attacks on me because of all the crowds before it even started

Why would anyone willingly subject themselves to something like that I can't personally understand

also trying to get to sleep while someone in a tent 2 feet from yours is throwing up and/or loving at maximum volume

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

These are good quotes, but this bit reminded me of an Argentinian pacifist in the late 19th century whose name I can't recall (Pochoclo?)

no I don't think he's that old

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

oh no a drop of 0.5 pence whatever will we do

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

even half a percent is not something to sneer at.

no it definitely is something to sneer at

look at any longer-term chart and you'll see that half-pence fluctuations happen all the loving time

e: also while we're at it the value right now is almost exactly the same as it was 3 years ago so talking about "cumulative drops" is just nonsense

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 8, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

down more often than up in recent years.

...uh, no?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

That thing that happened a few months before your x-axis starts can't possibly have contributed to a 20% swing at all. No sir.

I mean sure but you're talking about "cumulative drops" and "more down than up in recent years", clearly neither of which is actually the case

there's been one drop and then since then a load of fluctuations, you know, because fluctuations happen all the loving time

except people keep mistaking the latest change of less than a penny for something actually meaningful

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

If I was referring to the state of the weather, I'd call a storm on an otherwise clear day a fluctuation. If I was referring to a drop in the pound because Boris Johnson announced he was personally wiping his dick on every newly minted fiver, I wouldn't.

Yes, those pesky fluctuations due to brexit. The pound can go up as well as down due to an entirely voluntary government backed act of stupidity, of course. We should piss off our closest trading partners more often, that's a sure-fire way to bring some much needed fluctuations. I wonder which way they will fluctuate?

You think the statements from the EU today weren't meaningful?

wow you are getting awfully het up over the factual statement "drops of less than 0.5p in the value of sterling happen all the time"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

Yes, that is the entirely context free statement you think you just made.

I mean

Julio Cruz posted:

no it definitely is something to sneer at

look at any longer-term chart and you'll see that half-pence fluctuations happen all the loving time

definitely looks like I made that statement to me

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
why are people still interacting with AoF he's basically a misery elemental

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

EDIT wow Tess from whence your av

am I wrong in thinking it's our friendly neighbourhood caravan-owner?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

I assumed it was our now-threadbanned pub-dodger, but whoever it is I'm glad to know I made them mad.

wait he's threadbanned too? we're moving up in the world boyos

e: in other news Betteridge's Law of Headlines continues to do sterling work

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 9, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dead Goon posted:

The higher-ups in UKMT decided you're not allowed to post Weetman tweets, TheRat.

Best delete it.

I mean a lot of posters said they were getting really tired of seeing her stupid loving takes all the time but yeah it's that drat UKMT hivemind again I guess

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

if your cum is half blood you should probably see a doctor

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Brony Car posted:

What actually happened between Johnson and Varadkar? CNBC says the pound rose because of their talks.

Are the Irish really going to save Johnson’s rear end here? Disappointing!

post hoc ergo propter hoc

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

I think it's pretty much universal that if you have a country's flag hanging out your window, nevermind loving 3 of them, and it's not World Cup time, there's something wrong with you.

boy you would not like certain parts of the US

(you're not wrong)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

namesake posted:

Well it's not like the DUP actually matter any more and so long as Boris goes into an election after 31st having left some part of the EU then it's all golden for him.

if anything the DUP matter even more because if Boris doesn't get their votes he needs all the Tories plus all the ex-Tory independents plus all the Libs plus the usual Labour wankers plus one or two others to get a deal through Parliament

suck my woke dick posted:

Labour melts who love compromise for its own sake

who mysteriously all didn't vote for May's deal any of the times it was proposed

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
tbh any talk of "after a hard Brexit" is basically moot because there's no real way for it to happen

hard Brexit necessitates a hard border in Ireland which is unacceptable both to them and to the EU

and Parliament has made it entirely clear that it's opposed to No Deal and will pass any required legislation to prevent it happening

the only way I can imagine it happening is after an election which somehow gives the Tories enough of a majority of disaster capitalists and raving nutjobs that they can No Deal without Parliament voting to stop it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jesus christ man just send her a DM or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

marktheando posted:

That looks pretty posh to me, or at least extremely middle class.

It’s like when you see a neighbourhood has a deli van instead of a burger van.

...cheese and sausage and bread is "extremely middle class" now? :rolleyes:

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 13, 2019