Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Holy poo poo finally got around to pushing 120hz on Index.. even when things are running at 60/120 it was smoother than solid 90 (deffo better than intermittent 90) and I was pulling full 120 in some cases. Was first just testing it for DR2.0 since I was basically locked at 45 before but now locked at 60 and the improvement is very noticeable. Overall less shimmering seems a bit brighter/more vibrant, and fast moving objects are smoother to the point of feeling like a new headset or gpu upgrade after using it a few months

Didn't think my machine would do it justice so never bothered going beyond 90 but now unless a game is just choking to the point I can't maintain 60 can't see myself going back down. I have a 3570k/2060/16gb, so higher spec'd machines will be all the better

Now waiting on a new drive to show up so I can pick up Asgard and have space left for Stormland, Boneworks, Lone Echo 2, Low-Fi, Medal of Honor, Valve's whateverthefuck title, etc :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Leal posted:

I think its the bad animation that makes it worse for me. Probably why I wasn't hype on claymation either.

Visit floor 666 in riches plank :v:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Yeah beat saber runs well even with potato so sounds like something is wrong. I have a 2060/3570k and have no problem pulling 120fps on an Index at 100%. Don't have an S but my cv1 had no problem holding 90 with ss cranked to 170

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Its whatever someone built the level chooses. Typically this means it reflects the beats in the song yeah, but some are better than others.

There's a handful of very high quality custom tracks that actually has you do the proper dance along with the music that you're supposed to do, but those take a ton of effort so not a lot of people are cranking them out.

Its like custom DDR / Stepmania tracks, someone has to make it. Except its way more complicated since they're floating in 3D space and the timing is all more complex with VR involved.

the Songs With Fantastic Flow series is a collection of of particularly well made maps. There are like 20-30 maps in each volume and I think there are 5 of them now

https://bsaber.com/fantasticflowvol1/

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

x

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

And here I thought I was clever for coming up with the idea of a VR hoverbike game where you actually lean to control the bike

And then I find V-Racer Hoverbike on steam

I'm a day late and a dollar short!

V-racer is cool and good... went from playing straddling an ottoman to collecting old motorcycle parts and cobbling together an adult hobby horse and the fun almost outweighs the shame :v:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Only shot I have is an early wip when I was working out initial kinematics and my living room is a right mess with a another rig behind it

I have an aluminum extrusion frame and it will rotate like a spit roast on pivots down the central tube, with limited range of motion like +/-10deg but with highish force. Handlebars are coupled to the tilt mechanism via pushrods/bellcrank at a 2:1 reduction and the pickup is a push/pull load cell with an elastomer bushings circuit similar to Fanatec csl lc pedal except goes both ways. Twist throttle on a pot and footbrake a load cell. Parts are ebay scores of FZR500 bits. Now that MXBikes is out, I'll complete the controls with clutch/brake levers, sequential foot shifter and possibly some kind of rocking-horse base to allow pulling up/pushing fwd.

It still needs a bunch of tinkering though the critical bits have been done but even on blocks making vroom vroom noises it's way funner than the ottoman. Yes I need to get a life.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I was actually considering something like that... but I already have a massive sim racing rig in my room ><

I sort of have space in my living room

because my simracing setup is in my bedroom :negative:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Truga posted:

Yeah at first I thought vive staying warm while just plugged in was dumb, then Iunplugged it once, and then when I started playing lenses immediately fogged up.

Now I use wireless so it happens every time in the summer, since it's unplugged most of the time :rip:

I leave my poo poo plugged in but Index is a lot less fog prone than expected, way less than gen1/1.5 sets but I don't see it mentioned much. Likely the airgap between the dual element lenses makes them work like doublepane windows, which also insulates your eyes a bit more so even though it runs hotter than earlier hmd you don't really notice as much. The audio is a game changer of course but quality of life features like comfort/fogging add more than they get credit for and despite the wire I don't at all regret picking one up. Edge to edge clarity (worth the purchase price of glare in loading screens) and increased vertical fov is a godsend in most sims and of course games benefit from it as well as just hanging out in vr. Not sure why this turned into a used car commercial but the lack of fogging got me on a role

*slaps roof of Index*

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Unexpectedly observed how much better edge to edge clarity of Index lenses is, newest version of reVive allows you to visit your Oculus home, which was the only thing I sort of missed when I jumped ship. Load it up and was all wtf because the outer 1/3 of the fov are rendered way lower and have lots of shimmer and z fighting or some poo poo. Never noticed this in my cv1 because everything looks like that when you move your eyeball from the sweet spot :v:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

HycoCam posted:

This is kind of what I was thinking. All clear now!

Doh!

By separate library, I'm thinking Xbox vs PS/4 type thing. When I buy a title through the Quest wireless store--where else can I play the game?
There is no Steam app inside the Quest, right? No Facebook and Valve agreement kind of thing? Because it seems, unless the Quest is tethered, you'll need a license for any game you wanted to take on the go, correct? But I think you did clear up one question--if I buy something like Beat Saber through the Oculus store and owned both a Quest and Rift S, I would only need one license to play tethered to a PC or wirelessly?

My first buy would probably be Dirt Rally 2.0. But I'm not seeing DiRT in the Oculus store. Which I think means there is no playing DiRT wirelessly? My options to play DiRT would be to acquire a PC license from either Oculus for $60 or Valve for $18, at which point I can hop in the sim pit and play with the Rift S out of the box. If I wanted to play via the Quest, I'd need to buy the PC Link cable.
And here is where I get a little lost.
#1 The PC Link cable isn't available yet--so until it is, there is no playing DiRT on the Quest.
#2 When the cable does become available, the Rift S and Quest are both streaming what the PC is running--so the frames and the resolution match what the PC is pumping out, correct? Or does the tethering matter? The Rift is streaming via HDMI at up to 18Gbps while the Quest is showing in the specs it is 5Gbps on USB-C 3.0 (Not quite clear if the PC has USB 3.1 if the PC Link cable supports 10Gbps) i.e. how much does the data transfer rate matter with the streaming?

Thanks again for the education.

e: reading the posts since I started writing this one--and they are answering lots of these questions!

Thank you so much for this--great info. Thanks too EbolaIvory, Lemming, and Taintrunner. Feel way better about understanding the options than I did a few hours ago.

Don't buy Oculus version of Dirt Rally 2 unless you are ok with a $60 demo lol. They don't have any of the dlc, which is where more than half the game is (cars/tracks/locations) and Oculus never has real sales either. They fixed the Steam version and it's loving glorious and 70% off (get the super deluxe or whatever they call the version with seasons 1-4)

e: and no you won't be playing this wirelessly, it's a sort of demanding title that needs the power of a full on pc to run it

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 1, 2019

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Rolo posted:

3D puzzle box games like the mobile series The Room would be cool in VR.

You might like Form... not the same but a cool and good psychedelic vr puzzle game that's 60% off atm

https://store.steampowered.com/app/408520/FORM/

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

StabMasterArson posted:

SteamVR turns off if not in use after a while iirc

You can also customize the timeout settings for SteamVR, the hmd and the controllers in the dashboard under settings but the default settings are pretty ok

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

Has there been any definitive word on if Mechwarrior 5 is getting VR support at some point? $10 coupon at Epic store is tempting me to buy it.

the definitive word is don't give :pgi: money for anything sight unseen but no after walking it all back and russ mushnouthing about maybe maybe if if about vr after launch there has been no further information

e: actually yesterdays ngng shiillcast with russ mentions vr is getting 'heavy thought' after christmas but i still say never give pgi money for things they haven't actually done

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 21, 2019

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

DoubleT2172 posted:

I remember seeing something this or last week saying party and social functions will require a Facebook account now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Shine posted:

Elite Dangerous is so goddamn chill in VR, unless you're flying a souped up Vulture that spins like a loving top. As annoying as its game design can be, it's easily a top VR experience, goddamn.

In a simrig with HOTAS/pedals (and well thought out mapping) it's loving glorious

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Leal posted:

Alright so played about 2 hours in VR and yeah putting on the back brace helped a lot. Its funny cause I wouldn't think of having this on in any situation other then my job, lifting heavy rear end produce boxes all day. But for simply standing upright for an hour, gotta get the support of the brace.

And I got my health insurance card from work and I have no clue why I'm pretty sure I didn't average out the 30 hours a week since June, the boss made sure of that.

I used to have a lovely back too but vr ironically fixed that. I have a hardwood floor in my living room where my setup is, and when looking at things to put down for comfort/tactile orientation led me to discover current gen exercise mats. After ruling out throw rugs and thick foamy puzzle mats and the likes I ended up getting a Square36 cardio mat that's 4x6 feet (they come in lots of sizes). It's a black toughened giant yoga mat that's only 1/4 inch thick and lays perfectly flat but cushy enough I can crawl on my hands and knees. It's also made of some material that has no smell at all, one of the things that bothered me about all the other options I checked out. Works like a champ for VR and highly recommend it or one of the competing brand versions for this,.

I eventually got the notion to start stretching and found a yoga for idiots youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VS6jgTTYAQ) and started doing it without any expectations other than restoring some flexibility so I wouldn't feel so loving old. Found it relaxing, stuck with it and much to my surprise my back only hurts now if I actually do something stupid like lift some poo poo wrong or physically strain it. I have a backbrace for those occasions but now it's getting dusty welp that's my story thanks for listening

Here's to hoping 2020 is as good a year for vr as 2019 was

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

rage-saq posted:

No. This isn’t anywhere remotely close to being true. Please don’t post things like this.

The big reason >2 lighthouses is better is the same reason that >2 OG rift. Occlusions creating single sensor tracking downgrades which is very poor.
It was true of OG Rift (rip), it was true of LH1 (which was fatally flawed because you couldn’t get >2), it’s also true of LH2.

Much like everyone saying 3 oculus sensors is highly recommended because it mitigates this problem tremendously, it’s also recommended for LH2.

Regarding the average VR user comments, I think your assessment of what that person looks like is a bit skewed. According to the numbers the average VR user is playing Beat Saber, the #1 game most likely to expose the weaknesses in your tracking setup.

It sucks they are still $159 though.

My two lh2 setup demolishes my 3 or 4 sensor cv1 setup. Lighthouse kicks constellations rear end very hard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

New Beat Saber mod lookiin good

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I don't know poo poo about Half Life beyond memes and and mostly sim in VR and have an Index so was all whatever but after spending some time in the environments they just released holy moly I can't wait for the 23rd. I didn't realize VR could even look like that with current technology. I run Steam home at 170%ss and recently upgraded to a 2080 in a 3570k machine. Pulling 120 fps except when looking at posters and poo poo on a wall and even when the fps drops there's no noticeable jank, jitter or shimmer. Of course this are just environments and the game might run different but the quality bodes well, v polished.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

jubjub64 posted:

So apparently I have really prominent cheekbones/cheekfat that makes the Index face gasket not sit properly on my face. This causes my eyes to move out of the sweet spot. To fix this, without destructively modifying the face gasket, I Frankensteined this together from an OG Rift VRCover, some cloth and some adhesive velcro. I'm gonna buy some additional face gaskets in the future so that I can permanently modify one for myself but for now this ghetto-fabulous mod offsets my forehead so that I stay in that sweet, sweet, sweet-spot. Thank you for your time.

I stacked 6mm of neodymium magnets at the top mounts for this reason

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

jubjub64 posted:

Hey, I like that! And I think I have some well sized magnets around here somewhere...

Here's a pic for anyone that might not have visualized how the Index facial interface works and how easily it can be dialed for their face. I think mine were 6x3mm, two on each upper mount. Might even throw another on it but 6mm was a big improvement on already good ergonomics. I don't have particularly high cheekbones, just found I needed to tilt it a bit fwd to get a better sweet spot which made it dig in. Seemed like many had the same discomfort for the same reason but it's easy to adjust.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Haha sorry that was meant for cspam

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

This upcoming HP headset... With the Index turning a year old very soon, what are the chances this is going to be a defacto successor?

Successor perhaps or more likely an option to viably meet the demand for a premium experience but unless something else comes along I suppose that's what it will end up being if it out-specs Index. P cool to see HP, Valve and MS colab to make it a good experience. Reverb's res with Valve's optics and BMR headphones along with better controllers and a streamlined Steam/WMR experience in a lightweight hmd at a reasonable pricepoint by a company that is an experienced manufacturer would own bones

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Totally forgot about this so am excited anew :v:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I always buy steamVR instead of Oculus if I'm given the chance. Never know what headset I'm gonna have next and I want as little as possible locked to a certain brand

:hmmyes:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

Stormland (IMO best VR action gameplay to date) lets you carry 4 guns and I literally never had an issue with picking out the wrong gun in that game ever. Both hips and behind both shoulders.
Bonework's under-the-armpit holsters worked really well too.

Plenty of solutions to choose from.

Has anyone been able to make Stormland not suck with reVive yet?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I swear to god this thing:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/929066113810015/?locale=en_GB

Is like the perfect example of how not to do VR, to the point that it becomes a Must Play because of it, it not only makes you feel ill, but it makes you fall over as well. Literally makes you fall the hell over, this has been a consistent thing over loads of people I've had play it.
It's the strangest thing and a complete head gently caress, I'd recommend it to everyone just so they can try it and be like 'well, gently caress me'

The reviews say it all :laugh:

Uhhg that game is the worst. Oculus bundled that poo poo with CV1 and someone there actually thought it was a good idea. It's the first vr game I uninstalled to make room for content. Another one that made me feel pretty poo poo was Ground Runner Trials. No problems simracing, flying, hoverbikes etc but gently caress those 2 games in particular

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Taintrunner posted:

Using the Touch controllers to try and pilot a vehicle, especially in a simulation when you need precise handling, is really loving frustrating.

This. It's totally worth investing in a HOTAS and setting up a pit of some sorts for VR. Same with simracing. That said, there are a few nifty mods using those magnet/ball things for mounting cell phones for the hand controllers to give you some degree of kinematics so poo poo like No Man's Sky or VTOL VR can be flown with some level of ease and precision. There's ones on etsy, Protube makes a predictably overpriced one and variations on thingieverse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MKi2W2H_JY

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ets1hc/index_controller_magnetic_release_flight_stick/

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

SCheeseman posted:

I bought Fujii, it was on sale for Rift/Quest (I bought it to play on Quest). It is very relaxing.

I like Fiji but it also makes me sad there's not a VR version of Journey

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

chaosapiant posted:

What’s a good racing sim in VR? Is Project Cars worth trying?

Project Cars 2 is ok and gets a lot of unwarranted hate, Dirt Rally 2.0 is amazing though. Automobilista2 just came out using same engine as PC2 but physics of AMS1... early access but already shaping up to be pretty kickass and currently cheap. Assetto Corsa is cool and good though VR menus suck rear end since vr was haphazardly bolted on but there's tons of free car/track/location mods and the game itself is really good especially considering the price.

Tip posted:

I'm guessing you mean Dirt Rally 2, right?

I keep thinking about buying it when it's on sale, I really enjoyed Dirt Rally but I'm worried DR2 will run like poo poo on my 980ti.

980ti might be a bit rough but you can always return it if you don't spend too long figuring it out. There are guides for gfx tweaks to make it run better and still be able to look good

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

EbolaIvory posted:

Dude what? 980ti is fine for like heaps of content if not all of it.

Did you people all forget what hardware ran these games before? Good lord.

The 4790 non k 980 non ti rig in my living room still does just fine with 90% of the content out there.

Was talking about DR2 in particular. A 980ti will run it but might be a bit rough, depending on your hmd I suppose. I have an Index and a 2080 and pretty much get 60 (running 120 hz) with med/high settings and some tweaks to nvidia control panel though my processor is kinda old. PC2 also takes a fair amount of horsepower to push this many pixels too for that matter. Should have included headset caveats though since most people still have Rift or Rift like loads which are like 60% of Index

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

EbolaIvory posted:

And you've gone into steamvr stuff, and made sure supersample/reso scale isnt on auto right?

4790/980 runs PC2 just fine. That was my "Main rig" before I upgraded 9 times and yeah PC2 worked just fine. Yes, Not on ultra, but med/low was totally playable and smooth. Sure do wish I had a full motion rig for racing games. Totally can't play em sitting motionless, I get sick no matter what. :(

ss no more than 100% for these titles, but I can really crank it up on some things (running Thumper at 300% at 144hz for instance) and when I was still using Rift could even crank up ss a bit when I still used a 2060 but Index is p demanding and gives my 2080 a real workout on dr2/pc2. Definitely hear you on motion. I've just started my journey making a variant of an SFX100 :) https://opensfx.com/

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Tip posted:

This seems like a weird freak out, nobody suggested that a 980 ti couldn't handle most VR content, he was responding to my post where I specifically mentioned that I wasn't sure about buying Dirt Rally 2 because I worried it might not run very well on my 980ti. And he was saying that it should be possible to get it running well/looking good. :shrug:

I've specifically seen it mentioned that Dirt Rally 2 is a bit heavy to run in VR, which shouldn't be surprising considering that it came out in 2019 and its not a VR only game.

Here's the guide I followed to make it run as best I can while looking as good as possible. Settings are still valid though since that vid was made a patch was put out that makes you need to be in vr to adjust vr settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhWUeiC46A4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Was just coming to post this... haven't played it yet but it looks like Form had babby with Sparc :v:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Hadlock posted:

I think Kickstarter is just a socialist intern program for people wanting to become VP of product at a real company. It's just that only the person running the Kickstarter actually knows what's going on

Kickstarter seems like an excellent way to bootstrap your career at some other company in either product or marketing departments, without the risk of actually having to deliver a product

I'm Chris Roberts and I approve this message

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Turin Turambar posted:

Ok, apps worth of checking out in Viveport with Infinity:

Nature/Space doc apps
Everest VR
Earthlight: Spacewalk
We are Stars
Overview
theBlue
Apollo 11

Art apps
Mona Lisa Beyond the Glass
Galactic Gallery
Rone
Museum of other Realities
The Kremer collection

Shorts
Aripi
Lucid
Gloomy Eyes
Bonfire

Interesting list, put some on my Steam wishlist and scooped up the freebies... not sure if it's on Viveport but Art Plunge is another cool art experience thing

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I met Alan Yates at a Makers Faire a few years ago and he was legit cool af. Haven't met any Oculus folk but can safely say Facebook as an organization is absolutely scummy and parasitical and do not have good intentions for consumers or the societies they use as hosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

LLSix posted:

Steam page doesn't list VR support?

Cojawfee posted:

There used to be a VR mode and I think people have hacked it back in.

MotherVR: https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases

Apparently it still works and people are using in with Index and other hmd too