Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just got a Quest 2, my first voyage into VR

Warplanes: WW1 is really immersive, the problem I have is that any kind of tight turn leaves my stomach flying in the opposite direction - I may have to start using the things I used to get through my pilots license.

Onward is also fun but I'm so loving bad at it, I have a tendency to drop my gun or have the mag fall out at the worst possible times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Tip posted:

Warplanes is a ton of fun, especially with some friends in multiplayer, but the new user experience is kind of rough. On one of the campaigns you start flying a plane that has a very open view that gives you very little grounding and it has a gun you have to aim independently. Even now flying that plane makes me sick, gently caress that plane.

If that's the plane that made you ill the good news is basically every other plane is a more comfortable experience.

I'd suggest picking a big slow plane with poor visibility and play on the realistic setting. All my friends agreed realistic struck the best balance between responsiveness/realism/fun. It is in no way actually realistic, but there is some actual inertia and momentum to your flight unlike arcade mode.

That's the one! Good to hear it gets better. It really brought me right back to flying small planes irl and the horrible motion sickness I got there, so I think it's not just the usual VR sickness.

I was playing on the most 'realistic' setting since I cut my flight sim teeth on Warbirds, Aces High and WWIIOnline.

Does anyone know if Subnautica is any good on the Quest 2? I wanted to play it but my PC isn't powerful enough, but reading the reviews on the store page gives me pause

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Argue posted:

The Quest 2 lets me designate surfaces representing my couch and desk, but it won't let me run software at those locations even when it should make sense to let me, like if I'm using Bigscreen or, you know, Virtual Desktop. :mad: I know I can just assign a fake guardian boundary but what even is the point of putting in my desk and couch?

I can definitely run stuff on my couch, it auto switches guardian zones when I sit down

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Argue posted:

Hm, is there an option I have to fiddle with? Sometimes it remembers my desk and couch are in the room with me, and sometimes it doesn't. And when it does recognize that I have a couch, it keeps asking me to reconfirm my boundaries when I lean forward and end up putting myself in the roomscale guardian space.

I just tried out my desk and you are right, I can't even watch videos there. Which is dumb.

The couch works fine apart from sometimes the unit just forgets all the boundaries for everything

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

SCheeseman posted:

Facebook are doing a recall.

It's better than catching fire, but I guess all that cost cutting had to backfire somehow. Asbestos Facial Interface! Oh so itchy!

Means you can get a free replacement leather one

Also I have the bobo strap and its great

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I also just bought a gunstock like a massive fuckin' nerd so I'm probably never going to get laid again unless I hide it somewhere.

I got the Kobra - it's apparently almost as high performing as the top tier ones, but is the most immersive (for instance the front handset clips in so you don't have to hold the grip button) and I'm so poo poo that I won't notice the difference. I really wanted a bottom loading one and it's the best one of those I think.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Tip posted:

They were doing that for a while but now they're just giving a silicone thing that goes over the standard facial interface.

I already got the free pleather vrcover but it was way too thick and really decimated the FOV so I'm happy to be getting the silicone thing.

Oh I wrote to them and got the leather thing back, I didn't realise the silicon thing was different.

I'll probably get that as well and then compare - now you mention it my FOV does seem a bit reduced

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

c355n4 posted:

Have you given it a try yet? I'm interested in how it feels when playing H3VR in take and hold.

Hasn't arrived yet, it's coming from the UK

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do they make a left handed version or can it just be adapted to lefty use?

Yeah they make a left handed version (I'm a lefty too)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I finally got my Quest 2 link working (my laptop has an onboard AMD card on the CPU and a nvidia card which makes Quest Link poo poo the bed) and celebrated by playing Propagation VR over airlink

Well, for about 5 minutes. It's scary as all gently caress and I had to stop :(

Airlink worked great though

Alctel fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 10, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Puzzling Places absolutely owns btw, it's getting released in two weeks but their patron/beta has 50 additional puzzles you can get for 10 bucks

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I also used a fake facebook account with my Quest 2.

Skyrim VR and Doom VR are both on 75% on steam for the next few days

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone not played Half-Life Alyx yet and want a free copy? EB Games just sent me a download code for it, and I already own it. I don't know if it's region-locked in any way, so try your luck if you're not in Australia I guess? :shrug:

Meeee pls. Been waiting for it to go in sale, you can PM me

Edit: if it works let me buy you a title.at.least

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Also puzzling places is great as mentioned and if you want more puzzles I think you can still join their patron for the next couple weeks and get an additional ~50 puzzles for 10 bucks or so

Also note that the end result is bigger the more pieces there are, so the 25 piece end results are a lot smaller than the 400 pieces

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Turin Turambar posted:

For the crazy people who wants treadmills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1zuLwLLHY0

This is the first time I've seen anyone say anything even remotely positive about one of those things (and this dude seems to genuinely love it) - maybe they finally are starting to become actually usable and not an expensive novelty

Morter posted:

I just found out that there are these little gun-shaped covers/molds for quest controllers that make you feel like you're holding a gun so it's easier to aim. I'm sort of tempted for something like this for the couple of gunny games I have. Any recommendations, for the oculus quest 2?

Speaking of looking like a giant nerd, my one of these arrived a few weeks ago

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/224459165398?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=523243042605&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Kobra MKII gunstock

I only use it in Onward, and it took a lil while to get used to it, but within the hour I was almost as quick up close as I was without it. Long range it makes shooting accurately soooooo much easier - being able to brace against your shoulder means I can hit shots I wasn't able to before.

I chose it over some of the other ones because I liked the way the stock went on top of the controllers, rather than underneath - it just feels 'right' using it in VR as the weight is in the right place.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I think the key to actually using it is have a space for it permanently setup.

Honestly, it'd be great for cardio exercise, just spending an hour in Skyrim every day running around

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Corbeau posted:

Friend and I picked up No Man's Sky over the weekend sale. It's really good in VR... Except that the flight controls are terrible and non-configurable. Still spent three hours exploring new worlds last night - which has to be close to a record for me for consecutive headset time.

I just started playing it too... My 1st hyperspace jump landed me right next to a ringed planet in an asteroid field aland another planet in the distance and it absolutely BLEW MY MIND

Reminded me of the first time I played HL2 and got out of the station

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Man alyx is insanely optimized, it runs perfectly on my machine while looking amazing

I hate it started with the loving scary bits though, I'm such a coward

rage-saq posted:

Bumbibengt has opened up his game Steel Crew for one final free playtest weekend, good through Sunday night. This is an excellent WW2 tank sim, 3 people to a tank, with very accurately modeled tank interiors, mechanics, etc. I played the hell out of it in the last test and have been anxiously awaiting the next one, I plan on hitting it up quite a bit this weekend.
Best of all you can get it just by hitting the play button on Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/905970/Steel_Crew/

OH poo poo

All my misspent youth on WWIIOnline is gonna come in useful finally

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

DelphiAegis posted:

Meanwhile I just bought a Q2 to upgrade from my CV1 because I figure there's no ethical consumption in this hyper-capitalist fuckscape so I might as well enjoy my time on this hosed meatwad of a planet while I can.

Since I've had a CV1 I've been exclusively PCVR titles for ages, except when Asgard's wrath went on sale and that was really good (And still probably worth the $40 price point). Is there anything in the Q2 environment exclusively that I should look at? I've heard Tea for God is a thing, anything else I should look at?

Puzzling Places

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just completed Alyx, wow, what a ride. (despite the fact that the fps tanked from solid 90 to ~15 to 40 every few minutes for no apparent reason (it's not thermals) requiring me to restart the game)

I don't think I can get any future headset that isn't wireless - being able to spin on the spot and crouch behind cover etc is so important, I can't image doing that with a wire attached. Would love to try a headset with a better FOV though - hopefully the Index 2 owns - though apparently the Vive Pro 2 has a wireless adaptor?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Oh you have one of those things? How is it? I watched the video and it was kind of interesting but it looked like a more pain in the arse than using using a control stick. Is it easier than it looks? Worth it?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Thanks for the detailed writeup!

In most VR games I've played, I use smooth locomotion and then turn by physically rotating on the spot - so this actually sounds like it wouldnt be too big a jump.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

DelphiAegis posted:

Some more furious googling led me to the actual solution: It's both driver and mechanical in nature.

Apparently PCVR doesn't like the headphone/mic combination jack. Despite it being perfectly fine for stand-alone mode, using a headphone cord without a microphone as part of the 3.5mm jack worked fine.

What the gently caress?

Well that's odd, I guess that's why my headset didn't work when I tried it

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I have the 64gb one and it's fine unless you are trying to load on videos which eats stuff up real quick

I just use the DLNA function that comes with DeoVR and can stream videos from my PC

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Turin Turambar posted:

I got a OCULUS30 code, but of course it will expire before Lone Echo 2 and before RE4VR are out. Mmm decisions...

I still haven't got any of those :(

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Protip posted:

If you have Amazon Prime Star Wars: Squadrons is free via Games with Prime on Twitch for October. It is the Origin version and looking into it I believe it supports VR when launched through SteamVR but I am also seeing some older threads of there maybe being some performance issues when running it this way, specifically if you are using an Oculus headset. Anyone with a Quest 2 have experience running and playing the Origin version of Squadrons and run into any issues?

Thanks for this!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

That bundles great, I found about it from this thread. A fisherman's tale was a fun distraction, and having fun with until you fall.

Arizona Sunshine is also good but feels a bit dated

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ChocNitty posted:

Airlink seems to work better on my parents old, cheap, ISP supplied router, than it does on my new Netgear Nighthawk model. And the headset is further away from the router at my parents.

I'm assuming its because is they're in a secluded area that has no other wifi or bluetooth signals around, and i'm in an apt complex with dozens of signals. I tried changing the channel on my router but it didn't make a difference. The performance is fine, just not as good as at my parents.

I'm wondering if there's another setting or config I can tweak to improve it.

How can you tell 'better performance', are you just talking about latency or something else

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I got subnautica as it's 50% and it's goooood. Had to install a unofficial patch though otherwise the HUD sizing is all weird.

But swimming down in the ocean gave me the same (unpleasant) feelings I had when I had to dive into the pacific to cut lines free 100nm offshore.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Lemming posted:

In case anyone was curious about the state of flatscreen mods for Alyx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9nuBNwTz4

It, uh, looks really good. Almost as if Alyx were basically a VR port of a flatscreen game in the first place *cough*

I feel the game would be really easy in flatscreen, there are normally only a few enemies at one time and mouse aiming is a lot easier than trying to squint through iron sights after dropping your mag while trying to reload in a panic.

One thing VR has driven home to me is how bad I'd be in an actual zombie apocalypse

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Jack Trades posted:

My biggest issue with Alyx was I was trying to play it right after finishing Boneworks and I was feeling like they were constantly dragging me by the nose. You weren't allowed to do anything creative in that game.

Also all the horror parts sucked rear end and they were like 60% of the game. The combine fights were actually fun but there were hours of lame and cheap jumpscares between every combine fight.

I don't really remember any jumpscares in Alyx? although the drone made me almost poo poo myself Just a shitload of constant tension and uncomfortableness

I went through it very slowly and cautiously though (smooth movement only), with my gun up, if you went faster I can see definately getting surprised more

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Sagebrush posted:

Weirdly agro rant

I didn't hate the alyx weapon swap, it would have been better having to grab the new weapon from your body though, like Propegation does.

It's just an extra bit of physical interaction that feels right, like having to pull back the slide

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you really want something to pick at with the weapons in Alyx, the real failing is they're built around a defined weapon hand and off-hand instead of letting you just conjure a gun from the interface with your free hand as you need it. It's stupid and honestly antithetical to VR gaming.

That and the torch placement being contrived as gently caress in a way nobody would sensibly do it, because "Oooh, tense reloads where you cant see what you're shooting at!"

I quite liked the torch placement - it's where I have mine when I am free-diving / spearfishing so it made sense to me

The 'sticky' weapon in the weapon hand and other stuff in the off hand being so fixed WAS really annoying though. Really weird design choice.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I tried the hand tracking out again yesterday and was surprised to find that it was basically flawless. If you really shake your hands around then it gets lost, so it isn't ready for shooters or anything, but for general navigation and stuff they genuinely seen to have cracked it.

I feel it's got better over the last couple of releases - I used it the other day and it was way better than I remember, even a few months ago

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Vive Flow livestream is running now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU7n5HmmO0

edit: Lol, it's even worse than we thought; "Hey guys, use the thing for work you do for relaxation. This will in no way lead to burnout and increased stress due to a lack of separation between the two".

This is odd

'Hey I'm an overworked and stressed single mother and thanks to Vive I can escape into another reality for scant moments which also somehow relaxes me'

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Nukelear v.2 posted:

For as garbage as this presentation is, the form factor of a lighter headset and belt mounted battery and cpu isn't an awful idea. Though without the backstrap this feels like it can't possible block out enough ambient light.

So is the trick with using the phone controller mean that it doesn't have inside-out tracking and is actually using the phones camera to do a jury rigged outside-in?

I feel it's maybe one of those things were the actual product has too many flaws to do well but the general direction it's going is a good one. If that makes sense.

Although I don't know how successful 'lets make our VR headset so comfortable people will wear it while sleeping!!!' will be

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Uhhhhh is that THE Nick Clegg?

Edit: yes, yes it is. Lmao

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Puzzling Pieces DLC being released this Thursday - looks like Mars Base stuff

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Turin Turambar posted:

Pavlov teaser for next update. Should be self-explanatory.

Oh man I loved the old mod, I may have to get Pavlov now

Also I finally got one of the 30% coupons and got Pistol Whip - games good

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh look ,I was right! 1990€ (+taxes)
https://uploadvr.com/varjo-aero-announced/
https://varjo.com/products/aero/

Varjo Aero

Dual mini-LED displays with 35 ppd peak fidelity, 150 nits of brightness, and a 115° field of view for stunning edge-to-edge clarity.
Crystal-clear, variable resolution, aspheric lenses offering a massive step-up in visual fidelity over consumer-grade Fresnel optics.
Automatic IPD adjustment and ultra-fast, built-in eye-tracking at 200 Hz for a tailored, optimal experience to every user, every time.
Premium lightweight comfort with a 3-point precision fit headband, active cooling, and optimized ergonomics for long-duration usage.
Get the ultimate experience of SteamVR content including Microsoft Flight Simulator, and excel with professional 3D software such as Gravity Sketch and KeyVR.
No annual software subscription but full access to Varjo Base software updates, including a high-definition virtual desktop with Varjo Workspace.
Weight 717g
edit: oh yeah, this is the headset. You are expected to buy some Index knuckles or whatever and the base stations.
/compares prices... Oh, so it's four times more expensive than the Index, once you factor in taxes.

The eye tracking and foveated rendering is super cool

I don''t think I can go back to wired though :(

edit: oh you have to buy everything else separately. That def pushes it out of my price range!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

My Q2 bobo strap just snapped after a few months, does anyone else have any recommendations?