Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Laughing Zealot posted:

X-force

I've been warming up to this thing about Krakoa being the ultimate safe haven that mutants could escape to after all the poo poo they've been through the years. Could we not have gone longer than a month before the defenses are breached, hilariously easily I might add, and people get blown apart?

Well I mean we've had years and years and years of the various X people being colossal gently caress ups in their personal and professional lives, as are all their enemies, what would possibly make anyone think they wouldn't gently caress up their own nation?

Literally none of these people are qualified to run a school for children properly, why do would you think their incompetence would scale down as the responsibilities scale up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Wolverine is a good teacher for the X-Men because I don't think the majority of any of his classes went evil or died. That's the bar for how mutants deal with their children. "Most of them are alive and not evil, it was a good year in the child harvests".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, when this inevitably goes to poo poo and their society is destroyed, it's not going to be a great loss.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Has a writer just literally ignored another current writer before? Not "didn't get the memo" and wrote something different, not "retcon it after the run is over", just flat out "This is stupid I'm not acknowledging it happened" to a currently running writer?

Not that I think he should, it just got me going down a hole. With all the stupid poo poo and all the years I feel like it had to have happened a few times, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
You know I think this mutant nation has been poorly thought out, inconsistently managed, and might be heading for a serious upheaval at some point.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I could absolutely see Emma Roberts as a Flapper. Do we have much info on Steve's mom that isn't from when the reality cube altered his origin to make him a Nazi?

His parents were Irish immigrants and his dad was an abusive drunk who died young. His mom died of pneumonia when he was in his teens. So, you know, he didn't have the best childhood.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Beerdeer posted:

I hope it doesn't all come down. Make Krakoa last a while.

I mean the reality is that these people are loving incompetent at every aspect of their personal lives, and they are literally never going to build any sort of society that works. Because they are morons. Like somewhere in the vast tide of mutants we don't follow around there might be some folks that are actually equipped to run everything, but it's certainly not any of the crew in charge now. People who are in charge entirely because they are main characters in comic books, and not because they are good enough to do the jobs they gave themselves.

As was said though, it's still going to take years to end in flames.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Magneto is kind of entertainingly odd in Secret Wars. He's super horny for the Wasp who returns his advances so if you ever wanted a Magneto/Janet pairing, there you go.

Man she deserves better than that loser. She's had a rough time of it in the past.....50 years.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

danbanana posted:

This is a Bad Take.

Are you insane? Vengeance is one of the worst things they've ever done. The covers are the high point, all of characters in it are absolute dogshit and none of them was worth saving.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Again, Genosha is worse than any real life genocide or terrorist act by a significant factor, and no one besides mutants even seemed to notice it. I understand that's largely just because of how comics work, but I also understand a later writer using that as gristle for a story.

Conversely, Genosha was destroyed by Cassandra Nova. Which is.....complicated. And the Legacy Virus was a mutant. And, until retcons, M-Day was a mutant. Sure there's a lot of racist humans that have individually hurt mutants, but the greatest threat to mutants has always been other mutants and their issues.

And I'm going to put on my big boy guessing hat and say that mutants are going to gently caress up this run too.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
He's suuuper petty and incredibly powerful, not really someone you want to piss off if you have your long term health in mind.

Granted none of these people are going to do well in the long term. They are X-Men.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I mean this is the part where everything goes to poo poo because the X-people are intrinsically incompetent and their personal lives are a dumpster fire. That's not going to happen if they all made good decisions about their future.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Like what'll happen is that mutants will get their poo poo packed in and lose immortality, and probably the island, and the phase of storytelling where they are pretending their star is on the rise will be over. They won't just suddenly pretend it never happened.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

externals are mutants who for some reason or other turned out to be immortal. so, a subspecies of a subspecies of human. eternals weren't ever human.

I mean....yeah they were. Their origin is that early man was experimented on by the Celestials. Some of the experiments became Deviants, some Eternals, and the rest are the potential in the human genome that leads to mutants and people that turn into giant green monsters rather than die when exposed to radiation. poo poo like that. It's all the same source at the end of the day.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Sinister's going to be the one to accidentally solve the "the x-men always lose" problem, and i'm so here for the temper tantrum he'd throw about it.

The X-Men always lose because they are incompetent morons in their personal lives, and there is no reality in which Sinister makes that situation better.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Mystique is not what I'd call brilliant and Sherlock and Irene famously never do anything together. The entire point is that he's a big insular weirdo but she's so exceptional she actually gets his attention.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

magneto killing uranos wouldn't even matter. he'd be back the next day.

Also literally nothing they did meaningfully phased him at any point, if Magneto filled the guys heart with metal his heart would have beaten the poo poo out of the metal and called it a mutant slur. Uranos killed a planet of super people 1v1 while sneering at them the entire time, there's only so far you can push character popularity power before you give the excuse of why it's working. They need to figure out a "Man, what do we do about this guy?" that makes sense before they start fighting back. Granted they did set the bar a little high this time, what with taking David out really quickly and having Uranos basically unaffected by the process.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Failing Captain America instantly is an amusing way to start proceedings. By what metric is he judging people that Steve goes down in a minute?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Man what did Captain America do to piss that Celestial off?

e: Really though the Thor judgement really shows how profoundly loving stupid you have to be to let an omnipotent being be designed in part by Tony Stark and Mr Sinister.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 14, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Didn't he use a special suit and some telekinesis to walk for a bit back in one of his cripple days?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Jesus Christ why the gently caress would anyone want to be with Tony Stark: Human Disaster?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

are you familiar with the concept of human relationships?

I'm pretty sure Tony isn't.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Nessus posted:

“I’ll be dead in the cold ground before I recognize Missouri OR pronounce an Asian name correctly!” -Charles Xavier

I bet this is why Sunfire hated his rear end too.

Korean War really did some things to him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

The way that Orchis is a catch-all for all anti-mutant sentiment now feels a little too tidy for me. I guess it makes sense from a "All the mutants are united, so why wouldn't the villains?" except the mutants aren't really THAT united and it's not like you don't have factions in the real world dealing with multiple distinct groups that have irrational hatred towards them who probably wouldn't get along if they were in the same room.

Mutants colonized Mars, declared themselves rulers of the solar system, and made themselves immortal. Their enemies weren't going to sit on the sidelines playing the same old game.

e: Also on a narrative level you can't have the same level of enemies because current mutants would stomp them out. That's the problem with escalation in a medium like this. Everything needs to escalate if you want to keep the status quo.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 2, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

I gotta admit, it actually being Kurt and not one of the Sinisterverse Nightcrawlers kind of kneecaps my interest in it. Also why Spider-man? Daredevil basically does all the same stuff on top of also being another demoniacally themed Catholic

Kurt put his Catholic guilt down to make a new age hippy-dippy mutant religion that says and means nothing. You don't get to be Daredevil with a lack of commitment like that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't like them going back to the Jean and Scott are having problems again well, though. Just let them be happy together while also getting action on the side.

They were. Everyone got to enjoy gently caress Island for a few years. Now it's back to being X-Men, which means screwing everything up and ending in misery.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The counter-point is that the Essex that seems to be far and away the most successful is, at the end of the day, the one that isn't an Essex.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

I know we're all supposed to be decent and magnanimous and take the high road yadda yadda but I really have zero objections if this all warps up with the X-Men going full Magneto and murdering the absolute gently caress out of all these motherfuckers and stringing up their bloody, smouldering corpses from every lamppost in the world as a warning to any other fuckwits that get any ideas.

Counterpoint: They teamed up with Sinister day one, they deserve everything that is happening to them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Honestly now that the band-aid is off it's a good thing. "Mutant supremacy" was never going to last, but now they can at least build something a bit more stable than the old system. Which was failing before Orchis jumped in. There's no more "How is this going to end badly?". It ended badly, mission accomplished. Now they can shoot for something a bit more stable than "We are the new gods of humanity, rulers of the Sol system.". Because that might last.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Isn't that just Uranus? Like the fighty mutant planet got it's lunch eaten by one guy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Earth is generally typified by being a bunch of incestuous hillbillies running around with nuclear weapons, at least as far as the galactic stage goes. We have the shittiest society of any group of sentient beings in existence, but also more godlike powers per square inch than anywhere else in existence. So on a practical, diplomatic level....gently caress Earth, there is nothing of value there. And on wider level....gently caress Earth, every nine seconds they are sending a Thanos into the universe or killing Galactus or some bullshit. Who needs that nonsense?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Man, two? There's the Inhumans, and the Eternals [both of whom have more space contact than normal folks], then there's the mutants. There are more strains of weird rear end humans than most folks out there.

Earth loving sucks.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

Eh, gently caress you. Earth never does anything to other worlds and its people as bad and with regularity as the Kree, Skrulls, Shi’ar, Badoon, or the Brood has.

:colbert:

At one point or another a person from Earth has taken over all those societies except for maybe the Badoon. Feral Earth Hicks just wildly upending galactic civilizations all over the place.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

danbanana posted:

There was a galactic court case about it!

But y'all are wrong. Earth is chill af compared to the literal colonizing and genocidal space enpires that seem hoity toity about when Earth does poo poo they do every day. The Shi'ar are basically the 19th century British Empire but loving worse. Earth mostly tries to kill itself, to the benefit of the rest of the multiverse.

The current leader of the Shi'ar is half human, and one of the more brutal ones in living memory was also human.

danbanana posted:

Earth, why can't you be more like *looks at whatever bullshit the Kree are up to* Eh nevermind. You do you.

The Inhumans took over the Kree Empire for a bit, and Teddy was raised on Earth. There is nowhere in the galaxy people from Earth aren't butting their heads in.

The average person from Earth isn't messing with the average alien whatever, but some Earther is probably loving up your day on some level right now.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

killing was always this easy for her, except that kate's ethics wouldn't allow it. and well, that's no longer a factor. i bet she will be quite embarrassed when all the mutants return!

It's always morally correct to kill Nazis. Ask Captain America, whose first response to the latest turn of events was "Find me some of the most morally dubious people we have, and lets start killing people.". And if you can't trust Cap, who can you trust?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Yyeah I thought Uncanny was kinda mid, although I actually like this art more than Garron's. I know Cap's actual superpower is giving speeches, but I also feel like we're moved past the usefulness of "And then everyone stood up and clapped!" moments when an entire people have been genocided as far as they know. Real softball stuff compared to Kate, Cable, and Bishop being out there all the time cleaving through fascist hordes.

Because that poo poo doesn't matter on it's own. It's popcorn. Fun but not filling. You can't just kill your way to liberation, you need to be seen as an actual person too. It's like saying antisemitism ended when Hitler shot himself. The bad guy died, now everything is cool....right? Also this squad is packed with killers who have never backed off from the idea of killing fascists. It's just doing some more actual work of having "The dude who is basically always morally right" giving a speech about how mutants are people and haven't done anything wrong.

quote:

And what's this "I'm skeptical of the official story" nonsense? Psylocke and Monet were literally there! You have actual eyewitnesses telling you the story was a lie and you're still gonna coddle the public about it?

So wait, you are saying mutants told him that mutants didn't do it? That'll show the racists.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Alaois posted:

Thank you for loving Pupkin

Haven't thought of that in a minute.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It really seemed like the point was to go "Aren't Bishop and Cable cool?" and by the end of it all I could think is "No.".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

Cap and Logan fought together in WW2, killing Nazis with another man creates a bond.

Captain America is the greatest booster in the Marvel Universe. He is ride or die with all his friends, he sees the best in everybody...but he doesn't do it while denying who they are. Is Logan a bit dark, maybe with a slight serial killer edge? Sure, but he's fundamentally a well meaning person who is trying his best, and Steve is here for him without judgement.

Also Steve is biologically incapable of getting drunk, so hey. Good drinking buddy for a depressive with a healing factor.

As lovely as the whole Secret Empire event was, it's fundamentally hilarious that the most successful Nazi scheme of all time is to take unlimited power and go "gently caress it, Captain America is ours", and then they won. Everyone wants Steve on their side, it's just a sign things are going well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Its just too much. Or maybe I want it to be?

Pretty much the second one, there's absolutely nothing that 20% of this country wouldn't do to degrade and torment their enemies. Real or imagined. The comic book part of this entire thing isn't the vast swaths of the police and public on the fascist super-hero's side, the comic book part is that there was a trial for him in the first place.