Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

wiegieman posted:

Uranos isn't just the most incredibly frightening of the Eternals on a personal level, though he is that, he's the guy who elevates weapons of mass destruction to a religious observance. Illuminated texts, in the style of a nuclear detonation.

"I promise I'll try to spare a hemisphere!" is one of the best villain brags I've read in a while.

This one about Thanos is pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am kind of interested in reading the Krakoa era. When does it start? And which books?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mulva posted:

Also literally nothing they did meaningfully phased him at any point, if Magneto filled the guys heart with metal his heart would have beaten the poo poo out of the metal and called it a mutant slur. Uranos killed a planet of super people 1v1 while sneering at them the entire time, there's only so far you can push character popularity power before you give the excuse of why it's working. They need to figure out a "Man, what do we do about this guy?" that makes sense before they start fighting back. Granted they did set the bar a little high this time, what with taking David out really quickly and having Uranos basically unaffected by the process.

Well Uranos is still bound to his cell. Any appearances he makes are temporary. So long as no one lets him out Uranos can't do anything.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 5, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

considering that uranos withstood a combined psychic assault from every other eternal until they gave up i don't think telepathy would work very well.

Uranos is super stubborn, that's pretty much his whole thing. Like upon being told that his thesis was for sure wrong, he just said the gods who programed him were incompetent then, and what their actual intentions are don't matter only the programing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hey everyone will be fine so long as the god thinks there are more good people than bad people.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

IUG posted:

Eh, retail guy was a dick. But I doubt someone in Las Vegas personally delivered a plastic bag to the ocean. Hell, it was probably a customer. She should have tried to get him to switch to paper bags.

Also he might have not even been in charge when that bag went into the ocean. Also why attack the normal workers doing their jobs, rather than the owners of the companies.

There is also whole working with Curse, the evil child who saw visions of a hellscape as the most awesome thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Saoshyant posted:

Immortal was amazing again. Can't believe even Shaw can be an interesting character these days.

I liked how willing he was to accept a negative Judgement until he saw it coming in the form of Frost judging him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah felt like the Uranos thing was too quick. I feel bringing him out was unneeded.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Uranos is not dead, he could always return.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Heavy Metal posted:

That's another example, she's Kate Pryde in the comics now, but she's always gonna be called Kitty Pryde. Even on a podcast talking about the change Duggan called her Kitty mostly. Kitty Pryde is a dope name, and better than Shadowcat which sounds try hard for her, so that's what we call her. Kate is not as memorable either.

I still call her Kitty, most characters in universe still do as well.

Also was never really fond of the name change as you say Kitty is more memorable than Kate.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Synthbuttrange posted:

They really should add Tempo to the Five. :v

Maybe Tempo does not really like them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Codependent Poster posted:

I keep thinking about that latest issue of Immortal and how good it is. So much is packed into that one issue.

I can't wait for the next one. I really want to see Kate beat the snot out of Sinister and Destiny be smug about winning.

I bet Destiny will drop dead. Maybe Sinister will bring out the old power he got to turn off other mutant powers.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 13, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yeah but I think they retconned it later to where they didn't hurt Sinister any more than anything else.

Yeah Sinster basically said he was screwing with him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Hank secretly killed him, and then with Hope's help sabotaged his resurrection so his mind would not be complete. Honestly not feeling too bad about Hope's death given that she willing helped Hank with this. Though she does not appear to know he is using him as an assassin.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kitty blames Brand.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

zelah posted:

Currently reading by release date on Unlimited:
X-Men
X-Force
X-Factor
Marauders
Hellions
SWORD
Excalibur
Wolverine
New Mutants

I think that’s all of them. Once I’m all caught up with that I guess I’ll go back and check out some older stuff.

Recommend Immortal X-Men too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I would love Beast to be on the X-Men again just so he would be around people that would call him on his bullshit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Question is there a place or way to read the fan mail at the end of most comics for the original uncanny X-Men? Marvel Ultimate is pretty inconsistent in featuring it in most issues, and I am interested in reading a lot of people's first impressions of a lot of this stuff back in the 60s and 70s.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looks like the Beast stuff should wrap soon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The original Kitty Pryde calling Xavier a jerk issue was funny enough not that unreasonable from Xavier's perspective.

He planned to transfer her off the X-Men and onto the New Mutants as they were closer to her age and the New Mutants were not intended to be a Hero team. Kitty managed to convince him to let her stay on, with Xavier saying he had never seen her in action before properly as being a reason he was taking her off.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BrianWilly posted:

This is the problem and I've said it before; there are twelve people on the council. Jean was on there. Storm is on there. Kurt is on there. All of them voted in favor of the pit right alongside Xavier, so framing Krakoa's problems as an Xavier-specific thing is bunk. Between letting Sabertooth go, letting Nature Girl go, and letting Moira go, Doug right now has been responsible for like many times the amount of heinous crockery than Chuck ever did, but he's still waltzing around play-acting the resident soft boy?

Divorce him, Bei. You deserve better :colbert:

The pit was basically never intended to be used again, it was just a punishment for Creed and the whole council thought he should be punished. It was more iffy when they sent the next five in as Xavier and Magneto did it without the other members of the council being there to vote about it. (Though unlike Creed they intended the next fives stay to be short.)

Rochallor posted:

Sabretooth is interesting (and I say this as a long-time Sabretooth hater) because he's one of like two* (?) X-Men villains who are just criminals*. Everybody else wants to kill all mutants or elevate all mutants or turn all mutants into dinosaurs. There's definitely a conversation to be had about whether vivisecting mutants for their precious MGH or killing humans because you believe they're genetically inferior to mutants is worse than doing it because it's fun.

*It's what, him and Juggernaut?

The Hellfire Club was also just seeking power for powers sake, they tended not to really give a crap about mutant rights.

rantmo posted:

Juggernaut to me has always been at his best when he's either just trying to lay low but the X-Men end up loving with him, or my absolute favorite use, when he's genuinely trying to be a good guy but things go poorly either because people distrust him or he doesn't trust himself. I also liked Sabretooth when we was SIXIS inverted though, so maybe I've just got a type.
Has Juggs regrouped with his pal Black Tom yet?

Just like Selene, the true solution should be Hope killing them and then not resurrecting them!

Well they intend to bring her back eventually.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 15, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also being going though the original X-Men series and have gotten to the introduction of the Marauders. (And Sabretooth's first X-Men appearance) Man they were a dark story.

It's also kind of amusing seeing X-Factor and the Magneto run X-Men who both think the other is corrupting Xavier's Dream.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah that does not seem like a retcon the team notices not too far in that mutant-human relations are deteriorating and they are probably making things worse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alaois posted:

Do they start noticing this before or after Bob Layton leaves the book

Issue 7 they point out issues with it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Edge & Christian posted:

X-Factor #7 is the second issue Louise Simonson wrote.
X-Factor #6 is the first issue Louise Simonson wrote, which retconned the planned shadowy mastermind into a new character, Apocalypse. Previously Layton was going to have it be The Owl.
So on some level it's fair to say that everything Simonson did was building off of but wildly diverging from Layton's original outline, which may not have included the whole "this is a bad idea", either in-universe or editorially. Mutant Massacre started two issues later.

It says that Louise started at #9.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alaois posted:

I dont know what "it" youre referring to is because with my eyes and my brain, i can see the issue X-Factor #6 and see the writer credited being Louise Simonson and not Bob Layton

Marvel Unlimited and the Marvel Website.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 16, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Edge & Christian posted:

There are a lot of CMS errors on the Marvel Unlimited site, based on the actual published comic books Louise Simonson did in fact write X-Factor #6:

Looking back at solicitations, Layton was originally listed as the writer for X-Factor #6, but by the time previews came out for issue 7, Simonson had replaced him:

Not that I think that they were combing through old issues of Marvel Age for solicited creator info to fill out those pages. For what it's worth, based on the actual comics (and even more obviously just looking at it), X-Factor #8 was not only written by Louise Simonson, it was drawn by Marc Silvestri (with finishes by Joe Rubenstein, originally solicited as Guice), so that listing is doubly wrong. I feel like whoever did the data entry for Marvel Unlimited did a lot of wild "Ctrl+D" to fill in fields or something.

Marvel Unlimited is also missing the letters pages a lot of the time, I am interested in seeing people's thoughts back then.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sinister looks to have won pretty hard. Wonder if Hope is a Sinister Clone too which is why her death was so key to his plan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Yeah, it's safe to assume that anyone who died and was either in the resurrection queue with Hope or gets resurrected after is now a Sinister. We've already seen Emma in Sinister gear in one of the preview pages.

That's what makes Sinister so fascinating, he's an infection. And setting aside the SoS stuff coming, ok...you throw the one on the island into the pit. Beast probably takes all his Moira clones to do more warcrimes (100% that's where all the Beast clones are coming from in the preview pages), but that's beside the point. What do you do about all the other Sinister clones out there who could be doing the same thing? Are you sure you got them all? Are you sure you know about them all? Getting rid of Sinister is a never-ending task.

I don’t think they know where the Moira clones are or about them. After setting up the save point he left for a second less important secret lab.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 19, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don’t think the leftovers of the Quite Council would be able to handle Emma, Xavier, Hope, and Exodus. Storm’s the strongest, but I don’t think she could handle being attacked suddenly by those 4.

Edit: I don’t think Destiny knows all the details just that something bad will happen.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 19, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

danbanana posted:

Destiny saw a far-future Sinister timeline in a vision in the Immortal issue that focused on her. She definitely know a lot. But she also did push this direction so I assume she also knows how to get out of it (or that they DO get out of it).

Destiny sees various futures, so she does not know what results can affect others in many cases.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BrianWilly posted:

I don't get the impression at all that he thinks he's done anything wrong. In fact he frames every "mistake" he's made as some sort of intentional ploy to make sure people are watching out for the even worse things that he might do. It's the ultimate in wanting commendation for not being as big of an rear end in a top hat that he could be. "If Magneto had my powers we'd all be dead; aren't you glad you got me instead?"

The narration isn't unreliable insofar that Xavier is directly lying or something, but moreso that it's not objective. It's still Chuck shirking any prospect for change, because apparently how he's been acting is exactly how he thinks he should act, and everyone should be glad of it.

He looks to regret things with David. He states he did not want to end up being a terrible father like so many others he knew, he succeeded and became a terrible father in his own way.

He states that he has flaws and wishes things were different, and one of the reasons he tries to act suspicious is because he does not feel he should be trusted, because he would be too dangerous if he was an even slightly worse person.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

John Yossarian posted:

Is there an in-comic reason that Gambit has red eyes? I mean, did any of the writers explain why he would have red eyes? If not, I guess you could link it to kinetic energy or something silly like that. Red eyes are pretty rad, too. Sorry if this a silly question, I've been reading a lot of old X-men comics recently.

Mutants can look weird in ways that have nothing to do with their powers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sins was great. Looking forward to more of it. Enjoyed Sabretooth and X-Terminators too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I probably should have expected this Sinister system had been in place since the start

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I'm looking forward to Sinister being on the other side when everyone inevitably turns against him. Then he'll actually have to do something good to not only save himself, but everyone else.

Destiny is really playing him.

I need more X-Terminators as soon as possible. What a great dumb fun book.

I don't think Destiny stole his lab.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I would have pinned it on Destiny, but who's the other suspect - another Sinister?

Destiny does not know where his lab is, her future vision is not really reliable enough to find it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yeah, the Moira clone has to die to reset the timeline. We've seen it to where in the past he's hooked them up to die when he does, but since he was rushed with this last Moira clone, it doesn't appear he's done that.

So he can't kill the Moira clone, which means he can't reset the timeline and is trapped.

He probably fixed that after getting out of the pit. He checks the Moira's every day after all. The issue with the lab being gone, is that he also does not know what has been done to the Moira clones, so shooting himself in the head to have the timeline reset is super risky as for all he knows they have been taken out tanks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Synthbuttrange posted:

Killing himself doesnt do anything, it's killing the clone that resets the timeline. Also if the clone dies and he learns nothing then theres nothing stopping him from doing the exact same things all over again because the clone appears unused to him.

Well he normally has the clones wired to die if he dies or is incapable of checking in after a certain amount of time. And then he downloads the information from the clone he learned when he goes to check on it to see if he has reset the timeline. He always has it set up so that he learns stuff if the clone dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Voting for Juggs just cause I want a non mutant member.