Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jezza waiting for the first post brexit day polls as much as I am.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

There does seem to be something of the move back two two party politics that we saw last time - maybe people are happy tosay they want to vote lib dem/green/brexit when there is no sign of an election, but fall back into a pattern once campaigning actually gets underway.

or maybe polls are BS and we shouldn't read into them at all.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Zalakwe posted:

They might get two if they're lucky. Their vote is too spread out.

What is important is the damage they could do to Tory chances.

Yeah, Brexit is UKIP with slightly less fash. they have a relatively strong 15% of the vote most of the time, but it's 15% across most of the country, so it never turns into anything real bar giving the crazies something to vote for, splitting votes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So we have

1) Johnson being massively hated, far beyond what I think the polls say
2) Brexit party splitting the vote, more tory than Labour
3) Mass youth vote registration
4) Lib Dems taking a hit early on with a blatantly untruthful campaign.
5) Corbyn starting with a great speech.
6) the natural tendency of voters to vote against a sitting government, as they take the blame for all wrongs people see.

The last one id a biggie IMO - I can't remember what the effect is called (political center?) but the idea is that how left/right people are changes over time - the tories get in, cut taxes and budgets, people get annoyed as services stop working, vote labour in. labour raise taxes, spend on services, then people start getting annoyed about taxes. repeat.
The Torys have been in power for a decade now, a lot of people are just going to be fed up with them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sanford posted:

Goes directly against their stated aims though. Can anyone name a Lib Dem policy other than “stop brexit”? Best way to achieve that is by not standing candidates in marginal labour seats with a strong remain vote, where they themselves have no chance of winning. Tbh I think it would be good for them; start rebuilding some of the trust that was so badly betrayed with the coalition.

See, you think their aim is "stop brexit" rather than "get power by any means necessary"

Lib dems would allies with the Brexit party if it gave them more power. I guess there is something about liberalism that attracts the "me first" personality....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah. There was a fairly accurate one last time, but it was pulled due to cost/looking to off from the other ones as it projected labour gains.

Also worth remembering polls are another form of propaganda these days.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tesla was right posted:

Speaking of which, are the Lib Dems actually talking about their policies? So far, they seem to just be hammering the brexit button while pretending they're a viable tactical vote in con-lab marginals.

No. My wife was reading thier pamplet last night, and said its vauge comments and mostly bashing the two main parties.

My lad saw it and asked her to turn bacl to the pickof granda.
He was looking at a pic of jeremy corbin.
Granda is an active tory.

This never fails to amuse me.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh I had no idea TT wss trans lol, learn something every day.

Also yes please correct your post Private Speech, Rarity is very good people and distinctly doesn't make racist posts.

Oh boy, uhh...

Connery stans for spousal abuse so... he's not super great

(To my knowledge Patrick Stewart is an all around good egg though)

Ian McKellen seems a good guy as well.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Jesus, how safe must Mogg's seat be for him to confidently come out with this poo poo pre-election?

Even wearing red gets you strung up.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Thankyou for coming to my way-too-loving-early Ted talk, brought to you today by acid reflux, birds fighting in the loft, the cunts next door and needing to pee.

Yeah, things are moving left again, wether its this election cycle or the right need to be in power for a bit longer I don't know. I'd like to think its the end of the right for ever, but I think the world will turn again.

Whats the saying.

Hard times make hard men*. Hard men make good times.
Good times make soft men. soft men make hard times.

The boomers are the epitomy of soft men made by good times.

(or women)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1191704005451427841?s=19

This is the kind of poll we like to see.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Why are multiple people unable to distinguish between LAB and LDM

In my case. Dyslexia

Jose posted:

turns out the thread is dumb as gently caress

And this. (see my avatar title. Its based on fact.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Rustybear posted:

If he does blow it, and that's still a big if, I can't wait to hear the excuses.

Remember back in in June he was supposed to be this energetic force who would take the fight to Corbyn and Farage; I'm bowled over by the dynamism so far.

Johnson never ceases to amaze me.
I knew he would gently caress things up, but time and time again he goes above and beyond the call of duty. The only reason he has a chance in this election is because the last 20+ years have been spent stacking the deck in the tories favour.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Aphex- posted:

Sid Meier's Liberal Democrats 6

There is something telling about putting your name in front of a party that has been around for centuries.....

CAT TAX!

Have an angry ginger tom that went by the name Sophie, not through any personal choice, just a series of rather dubious student vets.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 6, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'd think leavers were far more into pulling out

We all know how effective that method is.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

One thing is for certain, this election is getting rid of most of the dissenters on both sides, so both sides will have better control of their party on the other side.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

mediadave posted:

Where are all the polls?

I think uk election maps was asking the same thing.

Maybe they don't want to do poll after poll lot the Tories losing ground.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

TheRat posted:

Why is Yougov suddenly spamming ancient polls?

Controlling the narrative. If the current polls are bad, post old polls and hope people don't read the fine print. Make it look like your bosses people are winning, maybe it'll turn things around.

Its the same thing as the papers. Repeat the lies until people believe them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

sebzilla posted:

An actual current poll

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1192850557389746177?s=19

Heading the right way but not fast enough.

The polls for 17 had labour 5% down on thier real vote, nothing says its not the same now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Lobster God posted:

To be fair that probably made him extremely aware of the knife.

Its a new tory hardline policy. Anyone caught with a knife will be stabbed with that knife.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The prime minister of the united kingdom can muster slightly more people to campaign for him than our labour candidate can in middlesbrough south, lol.

And her launch rally had about two or three times that many people in attendence :v:

Though the Tories will still hold a good number of seats, if not a majority. it just shows how much politics runs on the status quo.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/iancarterKM/status/1194341730721640448

lmao. Poor Jo getting hosed over by her own candidates :smith:

I wonder if the headliners "no deals with Labour" actually match up to what the common lib dem voter wants. I would be funny if their actually to far right for most of their supporters.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

BBC breakfast is headlining with the ex justice secetrary attacking the Tories.

Yesssssss

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Collateral posted:

Local LD parties are usually very leftwing. PPCs are usually parachuted onto local parties. The parliamentary strategy is very much at odds with local party sentiment.

This probably accounts for why lib dems to better in the councils as well.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

They have been since day 1. It's gong to be a long month for Jo.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jedit posted:

The Lib Dems are presently in the same rough political location as Thatcher in 1979, except a notch or two less authoritarian.

The party, yes, but the voters? Most people I know who vote lib dem still seem to think of them a the pre-collation "lets scrap tuition fees" style lib dems with cancel brexit sprinkled on top, they seem to be disconnected to the current yellow Tories.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

This is going to backfire so hard lol. loving lib dem fightback against anything even resembling competence right here.

We asked someone to stand, and they stood down, so we went down the list and found your candidate, the first person without a backbone!

VOTE SPINELESS JOE!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

When all you have are the entrails of chickens filtered through the ideals of old men, you make do.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

When the thought of a Corbyn Government gives you a stroke....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bardeh posted:

https://twitter.com/labourpress/status/1196867350051602432?s=19

thassa M&S salad that Corbs has eaten

bad optics, should've been Asda smartprice tbh

You not seen the news report of someone buying an m&s meal with an Aldi logo on the other side?
A huge amount of food is the same in different packages.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

namesake posted:

I'm going to live forever and hell, so far so good.

Everyone is immortal until proven otherwise.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Wooo. 5% pay rise for civil servants. That would go a way to us not having an above inflation pay rise in a decade.

Match that one Boris!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Well, that depends on which broken poll you use. But! If we accept a 5% pro Tory error as was last time, that's 2%.

And what we're seeing is the polls seem to have gone right since 2017.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Maugrim posted:

My second kid is 6 months old and my first has never slept well due to apnea and other stuff. Also having small kids means my only gaming time is after they and my wife have all gone to bed. As a result I get ridiculously little sleep and am constantly cranky, but on the plus side I can drop off in 10 seconds flat.

I've noticed significant improvement in my overall mood since I accidentally ran a surge through my motherboard last week. gently caress you if you think I'm giving up gaming long term though!

Mines 3.5 now, and has been sleeping through the night for about a year - but yeah, my only gaming time is 30-40mins in the evening (depending on if I'm putting him to bed or not) or how ever much time I get in the morning before he wakes.
Hence I get up at 4 am to game for a couple of hours. (I'm in bed by 9 though) - I've always been an early bird, but having kids has pushed that to the extreme.

his teeth came through no issues. when he first went to the dentist she said "oh, he's got two coming through right now" and we didn't even notice.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This is the kind of thing that could shift things up. People who would normally go voting staying home, people who would normally stay at home going out.

like most things in this election, it's such an unknown, I was saying to the wife this morning, I can see they Tories with a large majority, I can see labor with a large majority, and anywhere in between.
It's so hard to call.

On my facebook feed, I've got one person tory, but he's a friend of my dads, one lib dem, and a friend of a friend who's made a couple of pro tory posts on my friends labour stuff.
Then there are 5 people posting pro labour stuff every day. everyone at work is voting labour - but were in tory heartland of a Wantage constiancy. Even the headmaster of a school I visited last week dropped a heavy pro labour hint.

it's a bubble, but one that's encouraging.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

namesake posted:

It's very stressful but literally everything is hearsay - polling is hearsay, your personal experience is hearsay, your canvassing experience is hearsay. We get insights into a local mood at a particular time and until that time is polling day then it actually doesn't reflect a meaningful amount.

The only decent contrast is with previous elections, we didn't have that in 2017 and so everything was panic and nerves because everything could really have gone to poo poo. We're in a better position because we're doing more of the same but better and most of the opposition is more of the same but worse. That doesn't guarantee better results in seats but if people can slog through 2017 then we can keep slogging through it all now.

Yeah, I think that's the problem when your dealing with a country - you only see two things, the media and your personal space.

I know the polls are wrong, but don't know how much.
I know no one who is voting tory, but also know I have a small circle of younger contacts in a old tory area.
I know Boris is hated by most people, but also know that party loyalties run deep.

Come Dec 13th, at least it should be sorted one way or another.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Not to be all Nothing Matters but I do think the only people who will pay attention to this drop are the same people who already knew about what it contained in the first place

Most people will read the headline, and that's all.

its a good headline.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

*points at passing house* poo poo

look at that guy, hes venting his heat everywhere.
SHAME! SHAME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Now here is the question. Is this a shift in thier methodology, or, is it a shift in the voting with the same methodology as before?

The former is them trying to save face.
The latter means they are still underestimating the labour vote....