Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

https://twitter.com/alexhern/status/1190024364365950981

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Doccykins posted:

James, Cleverly avoiding questions from Kay Burley

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1192003392677261312

Genuine lol when they cut to the empty chair.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Also the irony of trying to establish a cult of personality because they have no loving policies, when they accuse the left of forming a COP around Corbyn.

Ordinarily I'd support labour, but there's something about Jo Swinson's strategy of "zero-policy, personality-led politics positioned against a supposed buffonish aberration of conservative values" that makes me say I'm With Her.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I actually found myself trying to figure out how I'd actually explain it to someone and that's close.

I'd say politically it serves three purposes.

1. It's funny.

2. It's provcative.

3. It serves as a filter for whether someone is worth engaging with because of the former two.

If you already understand the context, you can join in, and it's funny and a kind of bonding exercise.
If you don't understand the context, the provocativeness may elicit interest and can segue well into an actual discussion. If you don't understand the context but really don't like the sound of it, you're probably not worth bothering with and it outs you as that sort early on.

Generally I'd say a good example is when you state the conclusion of a political position without any of the working, so people who already understand it agree in equally unqualified terms and it forms a sort of in-joke, people who don't understand but are curious might ask for clarification which you can then expand into, while people who don't understand and don't want to understand just call you a filthy commie and save the hassle.

I think it's actually a necessary part of dealing with the weird nature of social media whereby the audience is simultaneously everyone and also only people who already have an interest in the subject. You need a way to filter responses, and shitposting is a pretty effective one.

Agree and I think there's a little to add around the bold bit. While there can be relatively high barriers for access, there are very low barriers for positive participation.

In a """"non-political"""" context the forums Simpsons shitposting exemplifies this. Most of the posts are nonsense unless you have a pretty thorough knowledge of the simpsons seasons before it got crap (in a freak coincidence, the simpsons got objectively crap at the exact time you, the reader of this post, stopped enjoying it.). Those with that knowledge can enjoy them and, more importantly, contribute - even with basically no artistic skills. Good contributions are generally recognised and weaker/repeated jokes are typically ignored - the quality of the production is rarely a factor unless it's exceptional. The thread - & perhaps shitposting in general - resembles a Participatory Culture.... Which i guess makes the simpsons shitposting thread political in its own way - people have rejected the consumer model of passively absorbing a cultural goliath's output and took control of the property for the group's own enjoyment.

I think what i'm trying to say is Shitposting Is Praxis

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I followed the link and it went straight to Jose's "Burnsy...Snrub...Burnsy...Snrub" post and fuckkin lmao

VideoGames posted:

Somehow I have never seen that simpsons meme thread and now I am at work, hunched up over my desk and trying to control this laughter from things I do not really get but are making me guffaw nonetheless. Holy moly. :D

Yeah that's why i linked to page 3. It took only 2 pages to turn around from a boring thread into launching 300+ pages of laser-guided precision content seeming made specifically to make me laugh.
and even then i didn't start contributing until like page 200+ the moral is: :justpost:

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I think the simpsons meme thread might kill me. I cannot believe there are 308 more pages to go and already I have tears streaming down my face and my chest in pain with laughter.
I am certainly going to get found out at work if I continue and yet....

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Volunteering as a wallet inspector

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

oooooh it's Skills comma Wallets. not Skills-Wallets. As in they're pro skills and pro wallets. I genuinely did not get that to start with.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

namesake posted:

No it's a discrete thing they're pushing. It's dumb.
so after forcing it to make sense in my mind, it turns out it's actually the original weird thing - that somehow seems even more ridiculous now.

namesake posted:

If you want to know how dumb you can listen to the podcasting is praxis podcast episode where we review the Lib Dems conference!

now that's how you make a sale!

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Noxville posted:

My brain has taken to just saying ‘skills wallet’ to me at the most random moments, please send help.
It's constantly rattling around my mind, oscillating between:

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Still super funny that the only strategy left to the lib dems is literally attempting to trick people into voting for them.

Just wanting it to collide with the LibDem/FBPE you should only be allowed to use facts in campaigns ProfessorBrain Cox crowd

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

As far as I know weather doesn't affect turnout much at all, but I don't know if the extent to which it does affect turnout is distributed evenly across the population.

That seems to be true. Though there are a handful of papers that argue poor weather for the region directs people to vote more small-c conservatively, with mood as the mediating factor. These generally falls within Positive Psychology frameworks on what feelings are for - positive emotion encourages us to explore new options/alternatives, whereas negative emotions draw us inwards to conserve what we have. Based on on these papers, my recommendation is political parties not currently in power might benefit from an upbeat dance-pop campaign song about the high likelihood of 'things' improving

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Sympathising hard with Jo Swinson as I too have memories of being in the Octagon on a Friday night and getting absolutely wrecked.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

(Outside of any fairness rules) There's been a shift in how the media operate since the election was called, right? Various interviews less defferential/chummy with the tories... that sort of thing.

Apologies if what I'm realising here is some basic Chomsky but could this be because the access to 'the story' has changed. With the tory gov the media have to play ball, because the story is locked away & released under supervision of Dom Cummings. Theres a threat that access to future stories may be withdrawn at any point.

In election season, there's no threat of access to hold over the media because campaigning via the media is the story. The media don't have to defer, because they're the more powerful agent in this interaction. The tories are blundering because they've not realised / not prepared for this.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Plank Sanction posted:

First day of the UCU strike! We're a bit isolated from other, more 'excitable' branches down here in Falmouth, but we had some good reactions from passers by and students.

Especially positive reactions from bus drivers!

Note, this is Exeter University's campus in Cornwall. Falmouth University itself is not striking.

Gaemblor posted:

Massive turnout on the pickets at my uni today. Hopefully that'll poo poo up UUK and USS and get them to start negotiating again instead of firing off scaremongering e-mails to staff and students. One positive about this period of action is that it isn't just over the pension scheme for academics and higher paid clerical staff - it's over pay and equality too meaning all university staff will benefit from any employer concessions on that front rather than just those with a USS pension.

Striking too and it was a good turnout today. Hope things go well at your sites!

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

jacksbrat posted:

Breaking my lurkstreak to beg for reassurance that the UCU strike is going better for others of you in it. Where I am I just feel outnumbered not just by people not striking but people who voted for the strike but are now not taking part.

I get that it's a long one with big immediate individual financial implications, and many feel ill equipped to weather it. I just worry that it's doomed to failure already.

Gimme some of that GE optimism.

Extremely medium day on the picket at my building too but others around campus are reporting good things. The strike is bigger than what any one person can observe and it's sometimes hard to see past the cold drizzle. People came around last time and can do so again - momentum builds.

Make sure any on the fencers know about the strike fund and how easy it is to claim. I got the max amount of money back last time due to my laughably precarious situation.

The anti union laws that have been in place are there to demoralize and frustrate worker action and yet people still picket. I believe JC when he says these rules will be revoked. Labour are going to edge it and suddenly we're in a whole new situation.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

UCU strike day 3 report: Someone brought our picket some fairy cakes :unsmith:

Quiet at our building today as most staff are opting to stay home, whether they're striking or not. I would place about 50% of this being due to the weather though (our building's a fair walk from anywhere commutable).

Feel like I'm getting better at the upsell: this is more than pensions, this about equality, workload, and security etc... & have people 'thinking about' joining the union. I guess I have a week to see whether that materialises.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Plank Sanction posted:

I'm finding it easier to sell it as an issue of zero-hour contracts and casualisation. Really disappointed with some of my colleagues though. 'I'm too busy to go on strike', as if those of us on the picket aren't.

Yeah it's kind of a shame that pensions are still at the forefront. One question today was 'are you still striking over pensions?' and honestly, I'm not striking for my pension because wtf is 2050 going to look like? I'll strike in solidarity on current pensions, sure, but I'm on the picket because of how contracts and casualisation affected my time as RA.

--

Heard the same from some non-striking academics & it's sad they aren't making the connection between 'too busy' and 'reluctance to strike'.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Wtf are these numbers? +34 from what? It's not the seats Con had at close of parliament. 54 majority with 352 seats? 352 seats gets a 32 majority ordinarily.

Kinda think this is total garbarge

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Got a libdam letter today from Chuka Ummunna, despite living over 200 miles from his intended constituency. Looks like JO;'s days are numbered.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

UCU strike day 4 update: I petted at least 5 dogs at pickets today. Was also given a free sandwich.

I hear Warwick have taken special measures to ensure all pay deduction comes out of staff's Christmas pay packet :jerkbag:

& a nice endorsement:
https://twitter.com/MagicMagid/status/1200074908480548865?s=19

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Attaining what, up until today, had been purely theoretical levels of chickenshit.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

No, he looks like the oval office off of The Inbetweeners and I will die fighting on this hill

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/991037636218445824?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

https://twitter.com/ppls2ndref/status/1200339226325331968?s=19

The long con. Beautiful and almost TT levels of commitment.