Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also I just want to address this point from the article that redneck nazgul posted because lol

Do we seriously think that Wal-Mart or General Motors are going to dissolve their companies into countless >50 person entities to avoid costs that they're already paying, under a rule that already exists?

Like there seem to be issues with the employer aspect of Warren's healthcare plan, but this is the dumbest possible critique and should not be taken seriously.

You subcontract everything to a temp agency that uses independent contractors.

Many service industries have been doing this for a long time. Its very common for call centers for example. Even within the auto industry temps are used on the line a lot of places and all they'd have to do there is to switch agencies to get the total cost of employees down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

OK so he won't get the needle, but Jesus Christ you can't order the murder of a American permanent resident by a foreign power and not go to prison.

I don't give a gently caress what year it is!

I guess Obama used American drones and all of those Americans killed under CIA orders during drug wars were “accidents” so technically correct?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

holy gently caress what am I looking at

An AQI pm2.5 of 999. Not great but not terrible either.

The top picture and the bottom half off the second...

quote:

Sunita Devi, 42, was among those who offered prayers as she stood in the toxic foam of the Yamuna, so thick and frothy from industrial and domestic pollution it made the water resemble a putrid bubble bath. The irony that this was a ritual meant to give thanks to the sun god for sustaining life on earth was not lost on her.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kesper North posted:

Poor cat. Some jerk probably got it at a shelter and dumped it as a prank. I hope it finds a good home.

It’s almost certainly a member of the colony of feral cats at met life stadium... this guy just got lost.

https://twitter.com/madelynburke/status/1191561863605235713?s=21

Considering it’s a stadium near NYC I assume it’s a mouse and rat buffet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hey the Mexican American war was probably the “easiest” war the US ever fought! Surely that will happen the same way again!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

So let me get this straight...

They are Mormons who immigrated to Mexico to avoid our laws but still hold birthright citizenship to the US.

This sounds shady as gently caress and I won’t be surprised for one second they were running drugs to make some extra money.

Mormons have a long tradition of doing this. Mitt Romney’s father was born in Mexico for example.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn’t Virginia one of the states where the democrats were prevented from getting a majority by some flipping to republican?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’m still cached apparently. Here’s what it said:

EXCLUSIVE: @KamalaHarris has a new a bill to stretch the school day from 8 am to 6 pm.

The shift intends to fix the misalignment of the traditional school day and work day, a gap experts say contributes to $55 billion in productivity losses each year.https://t.co/vTA8LVJWQX

— Kara Voght (@karavoght) November 6, 2019

Seems more like a universal daycare proposal than an “extending the school day” proposal?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This is parody right.

Also MLK was greatest generation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Crakkerjakk posted:

Isn't silent generation the people born in the inter-war period? I thought it went silent-greatest-baby boomer-x-millenial-z

Greatest-silent-boomer. Greatest - WWII, Silent - Korea/early Vietnam, boomer - later Vietnam

X, Y (millennial), Z - Iraq

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

Barr's interest is dictatorship. If Trump wants to do stuff that helps Barr move the country in that direction, Barr will back him. If Trump wants to do stuff that will serve only himself, Barr won't back him.

How is “when it comes to national security if the president does it then it’s not illegal” not peak dictatorship?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fallom posted:

lmao wow i didn't completely believe that "ok boomer" upset them so god drat much but now i guess i do

The best part is on the internet (well, twitch) it grew out of gen Z making fun of millennials.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Big K of Justice posted:

So can ... a gen-xer use Ok Boomer or am I also a boomer? I'm confused. I want to be part of the cool kids club! :sigh:

Boomer is a state of mind.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cyks posted:

I'm pretty certain the whole "okay, Boomer" thing originated from Gen Z anyways but it doesn't stop everyone from calling millennials ageists. Really though defining people by a 15 year age gap is dumb and Boomer has just turned into slang for older conservatives and Millennials are just younger progressives, relative to the speaker.

Originally: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/30-year-old-boomer

Its gen z making fun of millenials for doing "kids these days" type things. The origin is being obnoxious about bitcoin just like boomers were/are about gold, the second instance is about arena shooters is making fun of millenial gamers that don't like BRs and are trying to make UT/Quake a thing again as if its 2004.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

On the one hand, kids these days are right about bitcoin being stupid. On the other, BRs kinda suck

Ok boomer.

Truly the best part of the boomer meme taking off right now is that it’s around 18 months old and boomers are only now learning about it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

My 20 year old nephew today is posting memes that say “pearl harbor was 77 years ago and still hurts but 9/11 was 19 years ago and now we’re importing them to write our laws” and I’m just exasperated at this point.

Just answer: And the Saudis never got laws they wanted passed?

EBB posted:

A time where "ok boomer" can be used on a zoomer.

Actually no this is better.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stravag posted:

Girl from hs whos still in is sharing a few of these

How pissy do you guys think some people will get?

How many "not veterans" died on 9/11 at the pentagon?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

What a nice theory.

Seems like criminal prosecutions would grind to a halt if you had to start finding district court judges appointed more than 7 years ago to try any case involving the DoJ.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

That's true enough. But if anything, that means we need MORE branches! More general slots! MORE STAFFS!

SPACE FORCE!

Also: Space Force Ground Forces, Space Force Air Force, Space Force Naval Force.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

If Donald Trump wins re-election and then has a heart attack on Jan. 21, 2021, ushering in President Pence, would y'all be okay if Pence goes on to makes the argument in 2028 that, since he was only elected once in 2024, he can run again? If the Supreme Court them decided term limits are unfair and Pence tried to run again in 2032? Or would you do everything in your power to topple the nascent dictator?

Just because Morales nominally had some good positions doesn't excuse this poo poo.

I don't speak spanish so I can't comment on what the Bolivian constitutional amendment says but the US amendment on the topic explicitly covers that situation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

A legitimate court, that overturned a popular referendum explicitly voting down another term for Morales?

How is it on Earth-2 where Al Gore foiled the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the US is involved in 0 forever wars?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eej posted:

How is military coup ever a justified response to "broke term limit by winning an unrigged popular election"

I believe the US South American flow chart is just:
Thing happens -> sponsor right wing coup

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

...the Supreme Court ruled that bribing a public official is legal, so long as the bribe is reimbursement for Washington Nationals tickets.

In a 5-4 decision Harvard football tickets are also acceptable. A vicious dissent read from the bench by Sotomayor and joined by Thomas, Kavanaugh, and Alito says that only Yale could be acceptable. Controversially it ended with the phrase "beat Harvard"

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 12, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Extremely popular among both CIA analysts and AWS US-East twitters bots!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

How insultingly lazy, to cite the report of an independent multinational organization, the results of which both sides had agreed to abide by, which conducted a thorough two-week investigation, with no further evidence

Clearly this unverified, unsupported twitter account is a better source, as it agrees with my preconceived notions

They were unable to verify the security of the e-voting machines. By this standard most US elections are illegitimate too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

Since everyone's so happy to draw the comparison to Bush, would you still defend Trump if he called it a coup when the military asked him to step down in 2024?

After hes allowed to run by courts in enough states, he wins enough states, enough electors vote for him and the election is certified by the house and senate?

That absolutely would be a coup.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

Morales's election results weren't certified by anyone, and the independent observer reported clear evidence of manipulation

Yes, I was just hearing it explained. The election would not be certified for a while yet (just like the US) and Morales's party said that they would abide by the OAS's requirements for a recount. The opposition party refused these terms and the military did this coup.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

democratically elected* in a rigged election
surrender* while not being arrested or sought for arrest

Hillary Clinton won the 2016 election if we're going to ignore other country's internal laws.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

Ah, so the court also allowed him to manipulate the vote to avoid the runoff he likely would have lost

I'm fine, now that I understand

Vote tallying hadn't even finished though?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

GOP is trying everything at this point

Thomas quoted as saying "Wait thats all I had to do all these years?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A c-spam goon acted like a goon on a metro with an ICE agent on it. ICE agent, upon being passive aggressively mentioned immediately threatens to use his gun.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902725&pagenumber=1170&perpage=40#post499971758

We are living in a police state aren’t we :(

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 14, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Might want to fix your link, it goes to a pretty lol post

Mobile apps are broken as usual. :lol:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

Pretty good job to get the protests going two weeks before he nationalized the mine then

Do you have a defense of the police not allowing legislators from the majority party to enter their capital building to vote?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

colachute posted:

What was Rudolph going to do to him that swinging a helmet at his head, while another player was already between them, was the appropriate knee jerk response?

Fearing for his safety isn’t an excuse when you’re a 275lb lineman in full pads and a 210lb QB is trying to go through someone to get to you. That only works for cops.

But, Mr Nice is an expert in football law!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't know, isn't the independence of the Department of Justice supposed to be a check and balance within the executive branch that everyone agrees on?

The justice department’s opinion that they cannot criminally investigate the president seems counter to that though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If HK police killed everyone inside their siege you know the only reaction from the US government would be a Trump tweet saying we need to be able to do that in the US

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

brains posted:

how does this not end with every one of those dissidents getting slaughtered?

It doesn’t. The university is already sieged, there’s no way in or out and everyone that attempts to cross that line either direction is arrested.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Banning smoking and vaping from entire cities is something I dislike.

It seems pretty misguided at this point. Outdoors away from a door you're more likely to get harmful effects from diesel exhaust than someone else's cigarette.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Here's some supporters of decorum favorite Pete Buttgieg's spouse in New Orleans. Tell me whats missing from this photo.

https://twitter.com/Chas10Buttigieg/status/1196142077442220032?s=20

Caption: "I turned the gamma all the way to max but I still can't see the black person"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

"Here's how money launderers crime... hey wait a minute that sounds like a good idea"

https://twitter.com/viaSimonRomero/status/1196531619886010368?s=19

I guess he forgot why he went into academic money laundering instead of practicing it.