Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Is VR any good? The only friend who I have that owns it is also into WoW Classic and only plays as edgy Asian women in games that let you make a character, so, in other words I don't value his opinion.

It's good

https://i.imgur.com/EDoM1H1.mp4

You can get an Oculus Quest for $400 https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Quest-All-Gaming-System-PC/dp/B07HNW68ZC?th=1 that you can play a lot of stuff with and it's completely standalone. They also released (in beta as of today) the ability to hook it up to the PC so you can do all the PCVR stuff, and it's compatible with SteamVR which the new Half Life is gonna be running on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

siggy2021 posted:

Counterpoint this clip makes me want to violently vomit everywhere and I'm not even experiencing it through a lovely headset.

VR blows and I want it to go away.

Games have figured out a lot about what does and doesn't make you nauseous; the way you fly around here is by extending your arms, which helps to ground you with the movement. Later in the clip, when I grab a surface and throw myself off, that's similarly grounded. Overall it doesn't really give you much motion sickness, less than just moving around with the joystick. I'm relatively resistant to motion sickness, but I still get it fairly easily in certain games that are considered more intense (Sairento for instance I can only physically handle about 20-30 minutes before I start needing to lie down)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

siggy2021 posted:

Overall it doesn't give YOU much motion sickness. Don't pin that poo poo on everyone.

I can't play some FPS games that don't let me increase the FoV enough. I can't go on those stupid fake roller coasters where it's just an immersive thing moving around and a screen, I can't play VR games.

There are plenty of VR games that either have more comfort options or don't require any movement at all, or stick with teleport locomotion. Sort of like how some people can't play some FPS's at all, or like you need those options for a wider FoV in order to make it comfortable enough for you to play. My point was that I already know there are some games that are going to be off limits to people for comfort reasons, like some are for me, but I'm not, like, hoping that they fail or saying they shouldn't exist.

Beat Saber is a great example of a game that has no locomotion at all and doesn't make people motion sick. Same with stuff like Job Simulator, Space Pirate Trainer, Super Hot, etc.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Calipark posted:

Someone get this man on the Oculus payroll. This is the 1000th post you've made saying 'it's good' and posting huge gifs of you streaming it.

You're welcome

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Where'd you get the impression I was interested in Half-Life? :confused:

That's a reasonable response to a post that nobody has made. I made a post where I expressed doubt about the mainstream viability of VR in the near future and also mentioned some specific concerns about a certain type of user interface. What made me call VR cult-like was when this was met with a response that to me reads exactly like some bitcoin evangelist poo poo. It's like merely mentioning that that particular user interface looked uncomfortable made me an Enemy of VR and that the only reason anyone could possibly express doubt in its greatness would be that they haven't experienced its wonders for themselves yet. It's not that one post either, I've seen multiple examples just in the last few days of posters in various threads taking any questioning of VR's greatness whatsoever as some kind of personal insult and being extremely confrontative about it. That's what the cult thing is about.

Right, but your "specific concerns about a certain type of user interface" was in response to a game that we've already played and works fine. You said it looks like you'd get gorilla arms in five minutes flat. Ok, but you don't. I've played that game for multiple hours at a time with no issues, as have lots of other people. There are VR games that are designed to give you more of a workout, but that's not one of them. How are people supposed to respond to that except with "that's wrong"? It works fine. Your post was just ignorant. You're taking being corrected about something you're wrong about as people attacking you and being in a cult, which is a wild overreaction.

There are other concerns you've brought up that are totally valid - PCVR can be a huge pain in the rear end, space is an issue, nausea can be an issue. But again, these issues have been acknowledged and worked on for a long time now. Stuff like the Quest can optionally be hooked up to a PC, but otherwise is standalone so you're not restricted to being near your computer, so you can bring it to other areas that have more space. Stuff like the Rift S and HTC Cosmos (don't buy a Cosmos) and WMR headsets are tracked inside out, so you don't need extra sensors so setup is easier. People have been learning about comfort options to reduce nausea, as well as working on different types of locomotion that reduce motion sickness while still giving you a lot of freedom (like the flight in Stormlands which is guided by moving around your arms, or Echo Arena where it's in zero G but the movement is based on grabbing and throwing yourself off of objects, which is much more comfortable than you think it'd be).

I think broadly the reaction you're getting is more just that you know less than other people do and you're overconfident in what you think you know.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheFluff posted:

e: and stop bringing up the loving quest, it's like the perfect example of why you shouldn't buy VR yet. locking yourself in to a 0th generation $400 console with years-old hardware when the entire market could be turned on its head in six months from now is a terrible loving idea. yes you can use with a PC but that's with compromises and caveats. jeez you people

Lol, what? Again, this shows that you don't know what you're talking about. In what way would the entire market be turned on its head? There's no competitor that can realistically show up, there was a ton of effort involved in getting the Quest to work as well as it does. It came out six months ago, so it's still extremely new. The hardware being years old is irrelevant, what matters is what it can do, and it's capable of giving you the full PCVR experience with some stripped down graphics that are still capable of looking great. The software for hooking it up to the PC is still in beta, true, but I tried it out last night and while the resolution is a little lower, that's really the only "compromise" - it works pretty much just like a Rift does.

Saying buying one is "a terrible loving idea" is pretty funny coming from the same post where you were complaining that people were being too mean to you.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheFluff posted:

I'm not talking about the hardware market. In this very thread people are celebrating what seems like the first mainstream Actual Game for VR, something that could finally get people to buy headsets. Here's my question to you: will it run on the Quest? Okay, maybe that's an unfair question since it's made by a competitor, but what about the next big game? And it doesn't even need to be "will it run", "will it run well" is a good enough question.

Even if you're buying it for PCVR you're still betting a lot on that console being relevant for next year's games, when it's already making compromises in quality now, and you're sacrificing both resolution, refresh rate and latency, and even then it's generally regarded as bulky and uncomfortable and with lovely speakers. At $400, mind you. In fact the only headset that doesn't look like it sort of sucks in one way or another is the Index, but, well, at that price point it better not.

Yes. You can play any of the games with any of the headsets, and now that the Quest can be hooked up to the PC like a Rift it's compatible with all SteamVR games.

The resolution is still better than the Rift/Vive even with the compression, and those are both still great headsets. The refresh rate is lower, but it's still good. Latency isn't noticeable at all. The controllers are the same as the Rift S (literally, not figuratively). The speakers work fine, but you can plug in any headset or earbuds if you want. The fit is broadly considered to be pretty comfortable, and there's any number of after market things you can get to make it more comfortable ranging from cheap to expensive.

The Index is definitely a great option if you have the extra cash and are willing to deal with the lighthouses.

It's pretty clear at this point that you're madly googling and copying any criticisms you can find.

Edit: oh, now you're saying there's no killer app. Killer apps don't really exist anymore, but there's a lot of stuff that you can already dump thousands of hours into as well as specific, fantastic experiences you can't get anywhere else. Beat Saber is the closest there is to a killer app, and there's a huge modding scene so you can play basically any song you can think of.

I could rattle off a list of stuff for you but you'd just move the goalposts again. This is just another case of you mistaking your not knowing about something for it not existing.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 19, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheFluff posted:

I said on the Quest, not on PC, you disingenuous rear end. Can I run DCS on the Quest without a PC? What about Skyrim? The Quest has been sold as a standalone thing for almost half a year. PC connectivity launched literally a week ago.

Again, I ask you: will someone who bought a Quest to get in on this VR hype but doesn't have a gaming PC be able to play this new Half-Life game?

Why would I google when these criticisms are right here on the forums, in the VR thread?

What on Earth? Are you trying to criticize the Quest for costing $400, being completely standalone, and not being able to run software like a $1,000 PC can, despite the fact that it can also hook up to a PC like any of the other PCVR headsets?? What????

Well you say there are no games and that OP listed a bunch, I sure gave you too much credit that you wouldn't pick and choose!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheFluff posted:

:cripes:

The selling point of the Quest is that it is a standalone console:

It has been sold as such for months. It has had the PCVR headset capability for a week. As a $400 0th generation console, it is a bad buy. As a PCVR headset, well, right now, it's so beta that the audio doesn't work and in your own words:

You can argue that it's a good enough PCVR headset and that if you buy it for that the console parts make it worth the tradeoff vs the Rift S, but the entire selling point that both you and KakerMix has been dragging up repeatedly is that it's totally a standalone thing that doesn't need a PC. Which is technically true, but I maintain that buying it as a console is a terrible idea.

I honestly have literally no idea what you mean by "It has had the PCVR headset capability for a week. As a $400 0th generation console, it is a bad buy." I don't see how those statements have anything to do with each other. Yeah it's beta right now since it was just released, but it still works really well. When I say "the resolution is noticeably lower" I mean going from native Quest stuff to Link stuff, you can tell that things are compressed a bit and everything's less sharp, but that more or less means it looks like a Rift/Vive which is still really great. I also don't really understand your dig of "0th generation console," what does that even mean?

Again, how does optionally being hooked up to act as a PCVR headset make it a bad buy as a console? There's a ton of great stuff on it, and I'd argue that most people are going to get the most value out of the standalone stuff because it's way less of a pain in the rear end than PCVR can ever be.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

You have to wait a randomly chosen amount of time while his AI attempts to stack crates in the right combination to open a door for you

You move around by having Gordon tap your head with boxes

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

That is true. S also has worse controllers and worse tracking than OG.

I would argue the tracking point; OG has potentially better tracking, but you need extra sensors (for a total of 3 or 4) and you need to position them correctly, which means anchored to the wall/ceiling pointing down at you, which the vast majority of people don't do. Out of the box tracking on the S is better, there are some dead zones you won't hit much but you can turn around and reach the floor smoothly.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

If you're new to VR check out the VR megathread so we don't just repeat things.

There are goons that have pulleys and overhead cables at home.

Well there's a difference between some people thinking it's worth doing and calling it "essential" which it's DEFINITELY not

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rookersh posted:

I mean the biggest gains right now are going to be making it so there is no setup required ( ie no roomscale, instead probably focusing on finger tracking, only hand/arm related movement needed ), fully wireless, and cheaper.

Once it becomes a $250 product you can just slip on and play games with it becomes mainstream. Better roomscale, walking related stuff and all that is more high end stuff that'll fizzle out, no matter how cool it is.

Valve doesn't seem to be trying to push VR as a peripheral, but as a replacement. Much like the mouse was back in the day, or the GPU. An oddity that became so commonplace and so easy to use it became an essential part of a PC build. And the only way that's going to happen is with ease of use changes not bigger and better.

I feel like you're describing the Quest here, except it's $400 and does roomscale fantastically.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

It's already really easy to videoconference and share your screen. How does VR help that in any way?

VR social interactions are much closer to feeling like talking to someone in real life than they feel like doing video chat. For work stuff yeah it'd be a pain in the rear end to use right now except novelty, but in terms of the quality of the interaction that's super valuable. There's a reason why doing stuff remote sucks and you'd vastly prefer to have meetings and stuff in real life, and at some point VR will be good enough that being remote won't be that big of a problem.

Being able to see someone's hand gestures, look them in the eye, see what they're pointing at, etc, all that stuff adds up and you can do a lot of that in VR today, as primitive as it is.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Walrus posted:

It's hard to describe if you've never done something similar, but human interactions in VR are a huge step above even video chat, and that's with the most basic possible avatar of a torso and two floating hands.

Yeah, this 100%. It sounds like stupid tech wanky bullshit if you haven't experienced it, but it really is substantially new and interesting. I think social things will push VR forward way more into the mainstream than any single player thing, it's extremely powerful.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Some sort of force-feedback glove system would really be needed for any sort of virtual in-game control scheme to sort of help replicate a sense of touch.

You can actually do a ton with good rumble already today. Your brain will do a lot of work filling in the gaps, it's obviously not as good as what you'd be talking about there, but the current hardware is more capable than it seems like it should be. Combining good haptics with good game design fuzzes enough that your brain is super willing to believe the illusion.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kin posted:

I've maybe never thought about it but is there also something that's still to be done about what you focus on in VR?

Like, right now while I focus on writing this on my phone I have to make myself consciously aware that everything else around me is still there at the edge of my vision.

IIRC when I'm in a VR game I'm pretty sure everything's in focus and there isn't that degree of dynamic depth perception you have in real life yet. Or is there?

Yeah, there's research being done here. This post outlines some of what Oculus is working on: https://www.oculus.com/blog/half-dome-updates-frl-explores-more-comfortable-compact-vr-prototypes-for-work/?locale=en_US

This is usually referred to as being a varifocal display. It'll need to be paired with eye tracking for it to really work well

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

So when are we getting the Quest link cable? I'm not gonna be able to play this until that finally ships

It's already out, you can either get the $80 official one or a cheaper generic USB 3 a to c cable

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Boneworks was also pretty uniquely rough for the way they handled climbing - your arms were still physics objects that could only apply force, and they were pretty weak, so your real life hand position would pretty quickly get de-synched from your in game hand position and you would start wobbling and bobbling around as you climbed. Compare that to the ladder at ~1:05 in that third video where it's smooth and locked 1:1 (from what it looks like) with your real life hands, so it should be much more comfortable.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Not really supposed to be "innovative" its supposed to be a AAA VR experience and an intro to VR for lots of people

:ironicat:

It's pretty reasonable to be disappointed, Valve is responsible for some pretty drat innovative games, like HL2 and Portal. Like there's nothing inherently wrong with not being innovative, but if that's what you wanted it to be it's still kind of a bummer.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

These days you should be happy they make games at all :cheeky:

And expecting everything from a studio to be innovative seems highly unrealistic. Its cool if they do make something innovative (which, VR is but lets ignore that for the people who are hardcore into VR) but you shouldn't demand it.

That first line is definitely true, but I don't think anybody's demanding it be innovative, I still hoped that it would be.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Again- the innovation is in the SDK they're publishing along with an example game showing developers how it's done. This is how Half-Life has always been

VR is a completely new frontier for game design, we've seen a ton of janky but cool experiments people have done, as well as a lot of solid gameplay mechanics that can only work in VR that open up entirely new avenues. We've also seen a lot of "let's put this flatscreen game but in VR" and I'm really not extremely excited about those. Sure, having more tools is always good, but at this point I'm more interested in the new gameplay ideas themselves, not the platform for coming up with those ideas.

Like even in the developer interview, they were like "yeah we started with just putting HL2 mechanics in VR, and it was a great fit! So we've been working with that as a base and going from there" and it's like... sure, but man I already played HL2 I don't really want "HL2 but in VR" even though it's neat it's not compelling to my tastes. If that's what you want that's awesome! It's literally not bad or wrong. If someone told me they were making a pie and it turned out to be pecan and not pumpkin I would be disappointed because pumpkin is my favorite, but it's still great that the people who like pecan are getting exactly what they want.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Penpal posted:

it's natural to deify artists/studios that are masterful at their craft but aren't prolific. And while being at the prime age for absorbing half life 1 and 2 (bought the Half Life 2 special edition when I was a teenager, got hyped watching the source tech demo over and over again) I'm not expecting valve to make a "revolutionary" game... it just seems kind of unreasonable considering what the half life series of games was/is. Games that valued the immersion of the player in the environment above most everything else, which at the time of HL2 meant incorporating physics at a time when they were fairly computationally expensive. That technology WAS revolutionary, considering all of the game design implications of say, actually being ABLE to bar a door shut with a busted washing machine.

The revolutionary technology here that helps Valve achieve their goal of better immersion is VR... it's just that the tech was out of the gate before the game. Which is fine?

I'm expecting nice music, good writing and acting, fun level design, an expansion/exploration of the art design of Viktor Antonov, and some fun physics stuff thrown in for good measure.

The moments I remember from Half Life 2 and the episodes were moments where the objective was fairly clear and the soundtrack made itself known. When you're attacking the prison in HL2, or defending the vortigaunts in the mineshaft of episode 1. If I get some moments like that, but I'm actually there, that's all I need 🤔

I think one of the stealth-innovations of HL2 and especially the episodes was actually the interaction with Alyx as a companion, they did a really great job of integrating her in a way where she didn't get in the way or drag down the experience like a lot of games end up having your companions do, but the back and forth (well, I guess just... back...) was fantastic and they did it much better than most games I've played since. One exception which I think is actually really dope is Lone Echo, which is the VR game that was referenced just a bit ago. The story of that game is that you're a companion AI that's helping a scientist named Liv on a space station around Saturn, and then stuff happens yadda yadda, but there's a ton of emotional interaction and attachment you get that the developers worked really hard on and they absolutely nailed it. It felt like a natural evolution of that kind of character interaction from Alyx, and I would love for it to be focused on as well here because it's really, really fantastic when done well in VR.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

That spectator HUD and smoothing sounds great

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
How could anyone forget Zombine

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is the game a "seismic shift" in VR the same way say Super Mario 64 was for 3D?

Nope. The gameplay mechanics are all things that have been done before, a lot of them better, in VR. The overall level of polish and quality, especially in the environment, is ridiculously high compared to other VR games, but it's not pushing the boundaries of what the medium can do, in the way that Mario was exploring the potential of a 3d space

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

That's two of my complaints, super limited inventory (2 slots for all your grenades, 2 types of health items and quest items is a joke) and the game could stand to have a 'Very Hard' difficulty too. As a minimum it should be 2 slots per arm.

I would say the answer is a bucket but then I ran into this bug :(

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlatantVictoriousWerewolfCharlietheUnicorn

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm a wuss and playing in Easy difficulty. My wrist slots are reserved for spare grenades. I try to remember health thingies and do backtrack if necessary and possible.

:doh:

So obvious.

Can you carry it over across map loads?

Yeah, although I have a suspicion that's part of the reason why they started traveling through the geometry

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

The most effective jump scare for me is the time Russel's new drone bursts into the weapon upgrade room at the distillery.

I at least felt kind of cool because I managed to hit it when I reflexively turned around and shot out of fear

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

jubjub64 posted:

“It didn’t matter how much we told them, like, literally at the start of the game, that they aren’t Gordon,” said Walker. “We would finish playtests and ask players, ‘So tell us what’s happened so far. Tell us everything you learned about the state of the world and what the story’s about.’ And the players would think they’re Gordon.”

I feel like this could be solved by not being a pair of floating hands

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Ending spoilers too:

I wanna know how the time-fucky stuff happened, because we got a run through of a timeline where Eli died, which means that in that timeline, Alyx never freed G-Man. But we see G-Man in that original timeline as well, so he's probably not caught/contained (unless that containment is fake or something and G-Man was only pretending to be caught (but then why would he "reward" Alyx (although it's probably not *really* a reward, since he "hires" her afterwards, so it could've all been a setup)))

Of course it's probably not that important but generally I don't like time travel because usually it ends up stupid, but I'm intrigued either way

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I wish there were more nice VR games, the atmosphere is cranked up to 11 and doing horror in VR is basically cheating and it just makes me feel stressed out and awful. I quit playing Saints and Sinners entirely because I hated the constant zombie breathing that makes it feel like something is always right behind you

I was able to handle Alyx better, maybe because you can blast everything pretty easily even on hard, and they are also pretty respectful about not having zombies just sneak up behind you

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Apathy420 posted:

Ending spoilers:
4. Gordon is unable/unwilling to come back? Do you need to WANT to leave stasis? Was he standing beside the Gman an illusion or was it actually him, and was that an implication that they were one in the same? Did Alyx’ hiring and the after-credits ending mean that she’s taken over Gordon’s consciousness for Episode 3?

I haven't played HL2 or the episodes in a while, but I thought it was referring to how the vortigaunts get him back from the G-man using their alien powers, so that's why G-man couldn't use him anymore, so he was like eh gently caress him anyway, I'll just get Alyx instead

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tip posted:

The dude clearly exists outside the bounds of normal space time, I don't think it works the way you're thinking. What we saw was simply the version that existed before G-Man's intervention, G-Man had to allow that to happen or he couldn't undo it to get what he wanted from Alyx.

What tripped me up for a bit is that if he exists unbound from spacetime, it doesn't do any good to lock him up if he ever gets free because he could still be active and loving with you in the current time where he's locked up. But, I think the solution there is that he can't exist at two points in the same time. So after he's freed he can't go back and do anything during the time that he was stuck in.

I would be interested to see how you capture someone who already knows the future, but I'm guessing that using vortigaunt powers was pivotal there.

Continued ending spoilers:

Yeah I mean from what I can understand it seems like the most likely thing is that the G-man was never contained in the original timeline, but some other external event kicked off that let the Combine capture him in the Alyx timeline. I'm guessing there's another entity of some sort involved since it doesn't really seem to me like the Combine would be capable of that on their own. There's definitely some serious time fuckery going on. Maybe Aperture or something idk

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sigher posted:

I only have Discord running; I'm curious if it's because I'm using a Quest with the Link cable because it then has to run the Oculus Home Environment, Steam VR Environment and then the game at the same time. It's kinda clusterfuck. However, just running the game wirelessly to my Quest I still have performance issues as well.

The strange part is I've used both methods and had great results but now it just seems to be happening constantly, even on a fresh reset.

Look up the stupid auto supersampling menu and disable it then use like 100%. I'm pretty sure I had the same issue, it's srupid as gently caress they basically stealth sabotage you

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SabinBlitz posted:

Boy wouldn't it be cool if people were able to figure this out on their own

Guys, come on, the game came out like a week ago, think before you post unspoiled poo poo like that

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I feel like they could solve that by just chucking you a few extra shells every so often to encourage you not to stay so maxed out with it

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sigher posted:

Oh god gently caress me I feel dumb as poo poo, the extended ammo for the Pistol was my second upgrade I think and I NEVER loving loaded it up twice. weeeeeelp.

Also, where's the Gnome so I can go for that loving achievement (someone said that's a thing). Please tell me I can stash the stupid thing in my wrists (I'm pretty sure you can't) and how far do I have to go with it for the achievement to pop?

I bet in your heart you know the answers to those last two questions

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MightyBigMinus posted:

finished it so i can say with authority: it was tedious, the novelty wears off about 10 minutes in, and the performance bugs are nauseating

tbh i'm not usually a 'gamer' beyond fps time-killing sometimes... is this what all platformers are like? just the most inane dumb-task time-suck nonsense? find the key card, ok now find the cylinder thing, ok now find the electric balls, ok now flip some switches, more switches, more switches, here's a cutscene, here's 2 - 5 bad guys, loop, repeat, the end.

The things you are doing or accomplishing don't have to be anything extraordinary to be fun; the mechanics that you use to do the things are what should be fun. Guns aren't fun because shooting people is cool, the guns are fun because you have to worry about reloading them and aiming them manually and using them to interact with the world. In this case, a lot of the more mundane things are actually more fun. Being able to interact with the environment, grab stuff, look around, etc

That said I agree with the broader point that doing those things in this game actually isn't super fun. It's novel for a bit, but where I started noticing it breaking down were in the cases of interacting with stuff that was in drawers, in particular. On the one hand, I wanted to interact with the drawer more naturally, ie bend down, open it up, reach inside, pull the thing I want out, but what I actually discovered is that in the course of playing, this became more and more of a pain in the rear end because it wasn't interesting for the sake of it anymore (since I had already done it a bunch of times), and the way the gloves interacted with it got less fun.

As you get better with the gloves, you want to use them more, because it's way easier to use them than to manually go up to stuff and reach over and grab them. This is a problem with looting cupboards and drawers because even when I was like a foot away, I still wanted to use the gloves, because if it worked, it was faster. The problem is using the gloves in those environments can often gently caress up because it starts hitting stuff and bouncing around, so on the one hand I was encouraged to use them because it was more efficient, but simultaneously discouraged because of the chance that it would gently caress up in an annoying way.

This extends to a lot of the other mechanics, a lot of which is rooted in the teleportation. Teleporting is a billion times faster than using the stick locomotion, but it's way less engaging. When you're using stick, then you move slower, so you have more time to look around and notice things in the environment. You're moving in a linear fashion, so the world passes you by in a more understandable way, which leads you to feel more grounded. Teleportation is completely different, you just sort of appear places and it's way more efficient at getting to the specific spot you want to go, so you're less likely to engage with the rest of the environment. I had to limit myself to only using teleport if I died or retreaded a place I had already been to, but if I was just trying to play normally I would've spammed it all over the place. Later game spoilers: it also noticeably completely destroys the Strider encounter. Using the stick locomotion you are often too slow, even if you time the shots, to get through the different sections without it hitting you at least a bit, but if you teleport it literally cannot touch you and you just zip to the end and it takes all the urgency and stress out of the encounter. Jesus teleport was loving terrible there.

I don't think they really ended up playing to their largest strength, the atmosphere and world building, through their mechanics, and it does make the game drag on towards the end once the novelty wears off. I've played a lot of other VR games so my perspective is probably colored by that, but yeah I don't think the gameplay loop really holds up that well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
On the other hand I'm not surprised that people don't understand how to not post unmarked spoilers