Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Aramis posted:

But whatever supports the grate has to keep it level as well, no? So that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm saying: get rid of the old grate, install a blank in its place, and just cut it there.

I have no doubt that I'm missing something. I just don't know what.

The grate, in my experience, is usually made from strips of steel turned sideways so they're thicker up and down than they are front to back. That way, the machine can cut into the grate a little bit without really worrying about it cutting all the way through the grate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Computer viking posted:

My partner is a software QA guy, and one of his office mates is a fairly normal dad-stereotype around 40, except that he rides a unicycle to work every day. Including up the stairs inside to get to his office. On the weekends he sometimes changes things up with his penny farthing. And, yes, he does of course use a studded winter tire on the ice.

At least this city has ok bike lanes, and he wears a helmet?

Does your partner work for Vivaldi? Because I either know this guy, or someone very much like him.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

There was a drive through liquor store just across the county line from where I went to college. That's gotta count.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

haveblue posted:

So why is he wearing an entire blue bodysuit and not just a blue balaclava

They hired the first Sonic the Hedgehog cosplayer they could find, as the only qualification was "gotta go fast"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I saw that on Lake Michigan when I was living in Chicago. The wind would get a big piece of lake ice moving, and a piece of ice like that has a lot of momentum once it gets moving

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Awwww it was just looking for its mother!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I assume by bucket he means off an excavator. Though I admit I didn't think people stole them cos how would you shift it without an excavator?

Meth + the promise of more meth once you drop it off at the scrap metal dealer?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

Aren't you supposed to be driving the boat you jackass?

Driving a ship in the open ocean is more of a "point at destination and wait a week" affair. Dude's nominally keeping watch, making sure no other ships suddenly appear over the horizon.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bike Lane Closed posted:

I found this gem out in the wild the other day, just spectacular

Front wheel chocked (???), rear supported by a jack stand, could be worse.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

I swear I'm not trying to dunk on some tiny village in a country across the pond, but seriously what is wrong with that place. You are at 34°N, where are the solar panels? If you have AC running all the time it amortises basically instantly.

This is 51°N:

All the solar, plus biogas on top being used for process heat and electricity.

You have to understand two things about rural Texas: they don't have the money to invest in solar infrastructure, and for some stupid reason solar power has become massively politicized and the people in power in Texas believe it's a terrible idea.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I admit I simplified the explanation for the German goon.

I'm feeling very lazy and don't feel like doing the math, but I feel like solar power generation per unit area is a better metric. Rhode Island will never generate as much solar as Texas.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's just a bosun's chair, like people use to climb sailboat masts.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh so you plate the outside of someone's gloves, not your actual fingers made of meat?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm very curious to know what that car is. It looks like something out of Cyberpunk 2077.

Penrose parking ramp?

AI says it's a heavily modified Lamborghini Gallardo with the engine out of a Lexus IS300

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

In retrospect starting the car was probably not a great idea.

Petrol burns more easily than diesel, but you could flick lit matches into a bucket of petrol and it wouldn't ignite. There's nothing on your car that would have caused spilled petrol to ignite that wouldn't have caused it to ignite with the car off but still hot.

Gasoline spilling into the storm drain is still a bad thing environmentally.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's European Truck Simulator 2

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Uthor posted:

I moved to Peoria from the Chicagoland area and everyone was confused when I asked where to get an inspection and city sticker. Guess Illinois only does it around Chicago and St. Louis.

Now I'm confused having to do an annual inspection in Milwaukee, but at least still no city stickers (gotta pay if I need to do street parking).

The City Sticker confused the hell out of me when I moved to Chicago. I honestly don't remember if I ever got one the four years I lived there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Probably all the metal shavings with no PPE, and actively poking at a rotating piece of machinery while in use.

What PPE would you recommend in this situation, bearing in mind that gloves have a nasty tendency to get sucked into running machines? He tries to use an air gun to blow away the chips. I've used a paint brush for the same thing. A boring operation on a mill like that is a lot less risky than using an angle grinder.

I'd feel better if his glasses had side shields, but again he's really not making anything that could go flying into his eyes

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

:stonk: well poo poo whyd i give him the slightest benefit of the doubt and say its acrylic

The chips looked like acrylic, and for the life of me it still looks like an inch thick chunk of plexiglass in the vise. I think when aluminum cuts like that, it means his annular cutter is dull/the tool geometry is set up for steel.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Kith posted:

the injured fingat really makes it

https://i.imgur.com/veQFbB3.mp4

Biblically accurate pliers

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kw0134 posted:

The Harbor Freight grinder would burn up after being plugged in for the first time anyway.

They're pretty decent if you open them up and replace the grease in the gearbox before first use.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they whacked the lead from gen aviation fuel in norcal too

don't ask when lol. they're prolly gonna whack it in all of california in a bit

Now that G100UL is approved for every piston aircraft, I give 100LL ten years max.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's not up on avherald.com yet, but I'd be wildly surprised if this wasn't a United maintenance fuckup instead of a classic Boeing blunder.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sirotan posted:

This is a different Boeing from the one posted above

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1765783315699716208

21 year old airframe, compressor stall, the engine was still running when they returned to Houston.

https://avherald.com/h?article=515c5827&opt=0

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ComradePyro posted:

translates to "you can't prove we owe you money. denied"

I gather it's gotten a bit better in recent years, but not nearly good enough.

My wife worked in a VA hospital as part of her residency, and her favorite thing was to figure out how anything could be service related and give the patient the best treatment she could.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

chrisgt posted:

Boy of boy I miss zero of this poo poo. Every time I see this kind of video i'm so glad to have a desk job on land.

I do miss hopping on an accommodation ladder from a plot boat. Rope ladder? Less so.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That's what I say when someone joins to pieces of moulding really well.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I like the two cars who decided they simply thirsted for blood and steered into the oncoming lane.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

mycatscrimes posted:

Worst case is surviving the crash but not escaping the plane. If I've learned anything from Air Disasters, it's that the plane naturally yearns to be on fire, and very little can stop it from being on fire once the systems are disrupted by a rough landing. And the fire is some of the most toxic poo poo available.

On a modern airliner, the entire cabin has to be capable of being evacuated in under 90 seconds through only one half of the exits assuming nobody goes digging through the overhead bins for their carryon

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

If those are 3.6V cells you could get ~70V over a stack. That's bad.

No, that's hilarious if you have that many coin cell batteries and manage to gently caress up that badly

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I wonder if they got a bad batch of pipe with a poorly welded seam.

I love bulk carriers so drat much :3:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Now that I know it's an ambulance, the video makes a lot more sense. Without that knowledge, it looks like a sped up video of an aggressive truck driver wearing gloves and jumping into every gap in traffic.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Platystemon posted:

They’re innovating.

Move fast and break windshields

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fools Infinite posted:

Are old telephone poles usually recycled into boards

That's a tree

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That is how you clean a turbofan engine, but usually there's a lot fewer dudes leaning into the inlet holding the machine in place.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

All good poo poo though, thanks. I would've expected a console butted up to the window, maybe with rear facing cameras for blind spots

Usually you'll have dudes standing out on the bridge wings with radios to help avoid expensive repairs. If that's the captain I think she is, I think her ship has Azipods as well as bow thrusters, so it can maneuver in a lot tighter spaces.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

piL posted:

I dont think that's the Captain, I think that's a third mate or apprentice based on the shoulderboards. I think you're thinking of Kate McCue. Based on what she's doing with those combinators though I'd agree she has some sort of Azimithual Thruster.

Trying to look up info on the helm controls, but the fact that there is some sort of program called 'Helm' that is somehow involed in 'shipping' programs is foiling my Google searching.

Yeah, that's exactly the person I'm thinking of.

And sorry about Helm. The fact that it's used for shipping containers (deploying containerized machine images) doesn't help the googlability much.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You can make a mistake, but only once.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

the video of the ship with the power going off and on before it hits the bridge makes it look like they were trying to shoot one gap and probably could have made it if it hadn't gone out again

Unlikely. The channel is 16m deep, and outside of the channel is 8m deep. Dali's draught was 12m at the time. They might have been trying to ground themselves. Beats the hell out of taking out a bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

. which is why the ship when it lost power and steerage looked like it was aiming to ground itself by heading outside the dredged center channel. (It's about 20' deep in the shallows).

I've cooled on this theory a little bit. The person who runs the Casual Navigation YouTube channel pointed out that Dali turned to starboard around the time it was passing the entrance to the Curtis Bay channel, and the initial turn to starboard might have been bank effect. Once they regained power, I imagine the thick black smoke was the engines going crash astern.

We'll know more once the NTSB finishes up with the VDR.

One of the bulk carriers my last company worked with struck a jetty in Canada one day. I did some math on the forces involved, and to accelerate a ship of that size from 8 knots to 0ish in that short a period of time was equivalent to 10 or so 747s at full thrust.