Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Svaha posted:

Adam Savage has been geeking out on the Expanse again. Some really good interviews, in case you missed them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfNJvwNZZ2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF65tmxtkuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y8F9bqttmg

The prop one is really cool. I liked how simple the coms are.

Since when could you buy literal power armor at home depot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Svaha posted:

In Canada, it's really awkward to complain when contractors go way over their quote, since they are always stomping around menacingly in power armor.

(i have no idea what he's talking about either)

He must be making a joke.

The stunt preformer who lives in my area was in today and I asked him if he had worked on season 4 and he said he was one of the Marines that boarded the ship. Though they didn't use his picture for the memorial. he also was on the crashing ship on Illum. That's pretty cool.

My favorite thing in this season was seeing Mars. Book readers have said it looks like an endless mall and that's pretty much what we saw. Though in my mind I imagined Toronto's PATH, which if you've ever gone through, literally feels like you're being stalked by a minotaur.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Captain Splendid posted:

I kind of wish Ashford going on a mission that was obviously going to kill him hadn't been telegraphed so much

It was sort of obvious the second Drummer wasn't going with him that this was a one way mission.

Norton the First posted:

There's so much great character work in this show that is overshadowed by the protagonist being the drippiest drip who ever dripped. (And I still kinda like Holden.)

It's weird that Ashford started out being kind of an undermining rear end in a top hat last season, got better, got worse, and got better again. It's not so much an arc as a weird curve, but I'll be damned if the actor isn't immensely charismatic.

I wonder if its one of those things that happen because the actor is so good, they change their characters arc?

Eiba posted:

They were prosperous because they had a lot of resources and a population all focused on a common purpose. Build a new Earth.

That common purpose is now moot. There are hundreds of Earths out there. Maybe Mars can influence the new colonies, but Mars's own history proves you can't really control another planet from afar. So Mars itself is kind of done.

This season was a good look at how an otherwise well-to-do society that has lost its collective purpose can kind of fall apart. There's no material reason Mars can't continue on, but if people stop believing that Mars matters, they end up doing things like we saw, and the whole thing begins to rot.

Yea, the crooked cop says pretty much that. I would not be surprised if season 5 featuers a hot or cold Martian civil war, between those that want to leave and those that want to keep going. Gao seems intent on letting people colonize the ring worlds, though i hope after Illum she's not going to let people go hog wild in case there are more themonuclear islands. Not to mention colonization may either be sped up or slowed down if those asteroids are headed to earth.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Book basic sounds like being a prisoner inside a supermax jail, but the show seems to have it as people are sorta comfortable but outside of basic needs, they're unfufilled. everyone gets a decent level of food, clothing, housing and entertainment.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So what was the plan with blowing up the pad. If Medic lady didn't want to kill anyone, where they just going to blow it up, then tell the earth ship that "oops, we had an accident and the pad was destroyed, guess you can't come over for a visit, sorry!"?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah just a delaying tactic, just making things harder for the invaders. Like blowing up your bridges and sinking ships in your ports before an invasion to slow down the enemy. Their whole idea was if they just had enough time to get their crops to market they could afford the supplies and legal help they needed.

That makes sense, why Medic lady was horrified when they saw the ship and it was early, and she wanted to call it off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only merch i've seen are crew stuff. A guy was in my store with a cool Roci messanger bag and MCRN jacket and i asked him where he got them and he said they were season 4 crew gifts.

And not blowing up the pad would have probably gone way better for the Belters, yea there would be more inners, but the scientists didn't seem to have a problem with the Belters and the Inners probably would have been able to set up their own camp so there would have been less friction.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Everyone posted:

They thing for me is that "population control" usually devolves down to "We have way too many brown and yellow people. We need to cut down on them now. We could use some more hot blonde white people, though."

Or when they talk about Population Control as a bad thing its "the browns want to kill all the white people".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Caprica showed that before the 1st Cylon War the Colonies were pretty advanced, like there is a massive VR system that's as good as real life, smart paper that works like a computer and a bunch of other fancy tech.The company run by Eric Stolz was creating simple AIs and that lead to the Gen 1 cylons that could do any and all menial tasks perfectly, which included combat. Their reveal to the public was landing in a stadium and killing bombers before they could suicide them into people.

At the end we see a montage of basically what season 2 would have been, showing Cylons being used to walk dogs and mow lawns and such, but also suggesting they have some kind of awareness because they use the VR system to attend Church. IT is also shown that Skinjob Cyclons are clearly created by Stolz because it shows him created a new robot body for his daughters avatar that was trapped in the VR world after his actual daughter was blown up by her friend who was part of the radical monotheist cult.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Johnny Truant posted:

Holy gently caress shut up about BSG, an absolute garbage show when compared to the Expanse, which is what we're here for

Agreed, I just remember way to much about that stupid show. It's another one of those "if you liked this, you should watch The Expanse." But its hard because BSG and Firefly and many of the other shows from the early 2000s are too engrained into the nerd mind, because it was before streaming. There was a unified culture because there were only so many sources. Now everything is everywhere, and even if something is the best thing ever, like the Expanse, its hard to sell it on people still stuck in the early 2000s.

God drat Firefly sucks and the fact its still a nerd touchstone pisses me off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Firefly is a lazy Space Western. Rather than doing anything interesting with the setting, they just raid Fox's costume department and have everyone dress in cowboy outfits never bothering to explain why everyone dresses like the late 19th century outside of some "well some places aren't that well off". Yea why does that mean everyone wears cowboy boots and stetsons? Where there a lot of Olde Timey Photography studios in early colonization? Plus it talks about how the Government is a combination of the US and China and has characters using Chinese phrases and words, but the only Asian people you see are literally outdated stereotypes of Manchu Chinese with long braids doing laundry. The Tams are supposed to be part Chinese but are the whitest people you can find. It's invented language is pretty lazy too, The 'verse, the black? God drat took you like 2 seconds to think of that slang didn't it Whereon? Did you do it while assaulting your actresses?

I won't deny its fun on its surface but if you think about anything about it, the problems are extremely glaring. Serenity is much better about it, I admit its probably a budget thing but something I love about the Expanse is that the clothing the Belters were is mostly work clothes, boiler suits, heavy workboots and such. That is what space colony poors would be wearing. Regression of technology would not mean literally going back in time and dressing like people did centuries before. There is a reason people in different eras dress they way they do, you can look at the history of clothing and see a direct line from the Classical World to Todays clothing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I did not like the twist of "God is real and they're actually influencing reality". I know RDM managed to do good Sci Fi Religion stuff in DS9 but BSG it feels like i'm watching a PureFlix movie sometimes.

Kirk Cameron comes out and says "hey did you know that there is only one true God and it was good all those billions of people who believed in heathen gods died horribly?".

I really like the idea the PM was just a tool when created, but of course Humans come in and turn it into a weapon because humans have to modes, kill it or gently caress it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I totally messed up what I meant by saying "God is real is a twist"; i didn't mean that in a they were on earth all along! kind of twist, but in that the show was sold on being a Sci-fi war story with serious politics and such, but actually its more about faith.

Was Bobbi's story in the book? I've always gotten the impression that she was a fairly secondary characters and didn't get full plotlines, just was there with the rest of the characters when they do things.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah I understand now. I really should read the books, just bite the bullet and pay for the large format paperbacks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

rndmnmbr posted:

Murtry also has a very punchable face, so we might all feel the same when presented with it.

Yea, you can't put Burn Gorman in something and not have people want to see him get punched in the face.

I loved how Season 4 showed Bobbie is totally in control in any combat situation, like with the thugs that were making her nephew make space meth for them, she just gets tired of talking and kills them. BUt when she's put into a social situation with the Presidents Dinner, she has absolutely no idea what to do.

Would you call Amos a moral absolutist? Like he has a very clear sense of right and wrong, but he also is very quickly to go all Frank Castle on people who he sees are being bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If only there were cucumber sandiwiches
https://i.imgur.com/YpAWcHQ.mp4

I bet having real bread and real cucumbers is an extreme luxury for Martians.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could see that MCRMC figured their Recon Power Armor would always be operating in supply so having a short battery life wasn't an issue.

Norton the First posted:

Nah, the vat-grown steaks she requests not just for herself suggests a high level of meal quality.

It looks like on Mars everyone eats prepared meals rather than actually cooking. OUtside of the President's dinner, we only ever see food coming in boxes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

davidspackage posted:

I can't find a gif of Bobbie grinning behind Avasarala as Amos helps her into gravity boots, but that's my favorite scene.

I didn't always work in space.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Best case scenario is they recast.

Worst case scenario is they do an ~independent investigation~ and determine there was no wrongdoing.

Also, let’s not act like major Hollywood productions have not already done this, up to and including huge, expensive reshoots when they recast a main character.

So you're saying Christopher Plummer will be Alex in season 5?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Baronjutter posted:

I think a cool think about The Expanse is that humans have learned to wear their undershirts UNDER their shirts.

That drove me nuts for all of BSG. Why did they think that was a good look?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
More Bobby and more Drummer make me happy. Bobby doing the Captain America thing with two spaceships, but looks like she'll be hanging out with Alex so, ugh

Excited to see more of Earth outside the corridors of power though.

But during the trailer did someone say Naomi's son was a spy within the Free Navy?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I actually think that might be my preferred method. Give us a 3 episode arc on day one then one an week.

Pretty sure cabbagetown already looks like dystopian Baltimore.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MA-Horus posted:

Maybe if you're going west of parliament, but Cabbagetown is bougie as gently caress

Jane and finch maybe?

Yea, exactly that area. I used to go by theres all the time when I worked downtown and it was sketchy as gently caress, also daytime raccoons everywhere. I never went north, I assume that its gentrified between dundas and Wellesley?

Pizza Segregationist posted:

Fred Johnson says "we have an OPA informant" and then it cuts to him showing Naomi a picture of Filip saying "this is your son". I interpreted that as the informant being someone else who provided Fred with Filip's location

Ah, very easily a red herring then.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MA-Horus posted:

East of parliament is 2 million dollar townhouses
West is public housing. It's weird as hell.

Yea, like I've met people at the Distillery and its easist for me to get off at Queen and Sherborne and walk 10 minutes rather than waiting for the bus, and its always super sketchy right there, but as soon as you walk like 2 blocks you're in super upscale homes.

I'm in the Beaches and its become way sketchier lately since covid. I think a lot of methheads and such just migrated from the core to the residential areas because no ones downtown. And they come into the store and bleed on my floor.

I've been to Baltimore, and yea, walking one way will get you in real nice neo colonial row houses and such, and the other it looks like LA in Predator 2.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 10, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

etalian posted:

Most of house of cards was filmed in Baltimore not DC probably due to lower production costs and many neighborhoods being a visual match

I mean, they're essentially the same city at this point.

But loving seeing Alex in this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I should have been in bed but I cannot go without watching all 3.

So was the first nudity on the show? Drummer was not who i would have expected but she doesn't give a gently caress But drat Drummers whole thing is intense. She is not going to gently caress around when going for Ashfords revenge.

Scenes with Amos on Earth was great He legit there to do good. I liked the scenes with the old guy and even with his old buddy. Here is a male character who's background was being a prostitute, no one ever does that
Alex's stuff was less interesting, loved the design of his two bars though. Well at least until he got jumped

Tycho stuff was great, I was legit worried for the reporter lady. Thought she'd get offed there but nope. Pretty intense scenes there.

Bobbies stuff is still great. I love her punisher level of hardware hidden away. You know, Mandolorian should recast Cara Dune with Frankie Adams. I don't think she's a terf, and can kick rear end with the best of them.

I knew Naomi's trip was going to turn out bad. It's pretty clear Filip is a huge piece of poo poo and a fanatic and his mother who abandoned him and hasn't contacted him in like 20 years isn't going turn him, it's just going to make him more angry. Especially with a famous mom who is directly connected to the Inners. Also I've seen some stuff "oh Marco isn't the villain you think". I find it hard to believe the poo poo he's done is justified. Like he got a huge number of innocent people killed for what? It's not going to change anything, it's going to make things a million times worse.

The bartender in the bar with Naomi is a regular at the store I work at. He was also in an episode in the first season.

I like that while it looks pretty lovely, the earth isn't a total dystopia. There's trees and fish. Well, there was.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 16, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MA-Horus posted:

Nice to know that future hellscape Baltimore is literally just Regent Park in Toronto

The ugly rear end brown/green buildings Amos hangs out at looking for Erick are down the road from me.

That's where I thought it was.

Grand Fromage posted:

That was sad. They did keep one of my other favorite exchanges tho.

There was a button. I pushed it.
Jesus Christ, that's really how you go through life, isn't it?

I mean, that's what he does. He got that from Miller i think.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Just curious, but does the aliens and what happened ever get explained or is it left as some great unknowable thing?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gonz posted:

The Luna Station reveal was cool because that’s absolutely what a lunar colony city would look like.

I liked how it was named Lovell City. Amazon should have shelled out and had a painting for Tom Hanks from Apollo 13 in the background.

T-man posted:

they came from space op

Wow that's hosed up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Amos tells someone to shut their word hole at one point. Wiggum said that once.

And yea i figured that the Aliens were left as a big mystery. This is not a show about crazy aliens, but about people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grand Fromage posted:

He's also Klyden in The Orville.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm only about 20 minutes into it but every single scene has been HOLY loving poo poo

But that's a lol.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Groetgaffel posted:

Just finished the episode and :tviv:

Yea this was pretty much :tviv: from star to finish, except for Holden getting punched by the robot, that was a solid lol.

Also LOL Marco : We are going to leave all the hatred and malice of humanity behind *casually murders millions, if not billions of innocent people*. Also its pretty drat clear he sees Inners as a lower form of life, that they are a separate species of human, which is not a good look for someone they've talked about 'not being the villain you think'.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

veni veni veni posted:

This season is so good it’s fuckin killing me that I can’t just binge the whole thing lol.

The end last week had me by the balls. Like you knew the rock hit, but you had no idea what it did. But then this week we get to see the effect.

I hope Shohreh get to keep her costumes, because they are amazing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cojawfee posted:

Ep 4: I don't think Marco did the checkmate he thinks he did. Having protomolecule likely isn't the deterrent he thinks it is. He hosed up Earth and attacked Mars. What a great way to unite them against the entire belt. At best, they might leave him alone, but I'll bet he'll continue escalating and attacking because he's another dumb terrorist and that will lead to the inners splatting every single belt ship they come across.

I also think A lot of Belters are going to think the same way, that killing millions of Earth Civilians is just going to piss the UN off, and that will make things way worse for Marco and they're not all going to fall in line behind him. Fred Johnson was a pretty popular leader and at least was respected by the various OPA factions, offing him with a knife in the dark won't go over well. PLUS he's now killed both Men in Drummer's life she respected. That is not going over well. And the Belters have a direct line to the UN through Holden and Crissy so there will be awareness that this is a faction not everyone.

If Marco shows up in full Char uniform screaming "Seig Beltalowda!" i'd be super happy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hump day bitches! posted:

Marco Inaros starting this new chapter bening and of mankind with possibly the single biggest genocide in recorded history by a colossal margin is an amazing irony.

Naming his own ship after the capital of the Macedonian Kingdom before the conquest of Persia, his own son after Phillip, this guy is obssesed with becoming an Alexander the Great for the belters.Having read the books his end its fitting.

Hey careful with the book stuff, even in spoilers. But yea, there is a good chance that one that hit near Philly probably killed a huge number of people, and if Gao was flying back from SEA its possible that one hit in India, another heavily populated area.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Azhais posted:

She just got herself out, didn't try particularly hard to get the kid

Yea, and she will probably think by the simple fact she is his biological mother she'll be able to turn him, but to Filip she's a complete stranger, there is zero connection so he has zero reason to listen to her.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fister Roboto posted:

Did anybody else laugh out loud when the spider-bot bopped Holden in the face?

Yup, that was a hardy lol from me in a super intense episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sci Fi fans are always getting super horny for throwing space rocks around but never think of the logistics of it. It took Marco a huge amount of time, planning and resources to get 3 rocks into earth and that was mostly because the UN shut out the one person who had inside knowlage of the Belters and what they were capable of.

Its from 40k but its always what go to when nerds go "why have space lasers/missiles/railguns? There's lots of free rocks around"

Rocks are NOT ‘free’, citizen.

Firstly, you must maneuver the Emperor’s naval vessel within the asteroid belt, almost assuredly sustaining damage to the Emperor’s ship’s paint from micrometeoroids, while expending the Emperor’s fuel.

Then the Tech Priests must inspect the rock in question to ascertain its worthiness to do the Emperor’s bidding. Should it pass muster, the Emperor’s Servitors must use the Emperor’s auto-scrapers and melta-cutters to prepare the potential ordinance for movement. Finally, the Tech Priests finished, the Emperor’s officers may begin maneuvering the Emperor’s warship to abut the asteroid at the prepared face (expending yet more of the Emperor’s fuel), and then begin boosting the stone towards the offensive planet.

After a few days of expending a prodigious amount of the Emperor’s fuel to accelerate the asteroid into an orbit more fitting to the Emperor’s desires, the Emperor’s ship may then return to the planet via superluminous warp travel and await the arrival of the stone, still many weeks (or months) away.

After twiddling away the Emperor’s time and eating the Emperor’s food in the wasteful pursuit of making sure that the Emperor’s enemies do not launch a deflection mission, they may finally watch the ordinance impact the planet (assuming that the Emperor’s ship does not need to attempt any last-minute course correction upon the rock, using yet more of the Emperor’s fuel).

Given a typical (class Bravo-CVII) system, we have the following:

Two months, O&M, Titan class warship: 4.2 Million Imperials

Two months, rations, crew of same: 0.2 MI

Two months, Tech Priest pastor: 1.7 MI

Two months, Servitor parish: 0.3 MI

Paint, Titan class warship: 2.5 MI

Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.9 MI

Total: 9.8 MI

Contrasted with the following:

5 warheads, magna-melta: 2.5 MI

One day, O&M, Titan class warship: 0.3 MI

One day, rations, crew of same: 0.0 MI

Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.1 MI

Total: 2.9 MI

Given the same result with under one third of the cost, the Emperor will have saved a massive amount of His most sacred money and almost a full month of time, during which His warship may be bombarding an entirely different planet.

The Emperor, through this – His Office of Imperial Outlays – hereby orders you to attend one (1) week of therapeutic accountancy training/penance. Please report to Areicon IV, Imperial City, Administratum Building CXXI, Room 1456, where you are to sit in the BLUE chair.

For the Emperor,

Bursarius Tenathis,

Purser Level XI,

Imperial Office of Outlays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grand Fromage posted:

As I said, this is the point of controversy. There is no direct evidence whether or not this would happen (fortunately) and modeling does not agree.

Yea, I think it was Carl Sagon that straight up said that he and the other scientists decided to fake the findings in a hope to prevent anyone thinking of using nuclear weapons.

This could be a pearl harbour situations too, Marco attacking Earth gets them to put all their resources into militarizing and striking back against the Belt. Or maybe soviet union is a better example? They were kinda lovely early in ww2 but Barbarossa forced them to get their poo poo together and when people like Zhukov and Chukov were put in charge they became a whole big pile of gently caress Nazis using their considerable human resources. Combination of the two?