Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jippa posted:

I'm heading to bed early tonight, can't wait.

I haven't even been drinking and I've been in bed for half an hour, get on my level you whippersnappers :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

mila kunis posted:

I hate the Guardian a lot. Is there an actual good place to go for UK news?

You're posting in it.

Purple Prince posted:

I mean my old CLP was mostly pensioners because they have a lot more free time to campaign but sure.

It raises an interesting question re why guillotining the capitalists isn't a great platform: those capitalists might be your mum, your grandad, or any other retired person, and "we're gonna guillotine your mum" isn't a great platform for winning elections on.

This is a particular feature of late neoliberal capitalism, and it makes it hard to condemn capital without implicating your own support base, in a way that for Marx, Mao, or Lenin would not have been an issue. If we're looking at building parallel structures we need an analysis of how you do that in 21st century Britain.

Capitalists are free to stop being capitalists whenever they feel like it, and thereby escape the guillotine.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Purple Prince posted:

If by 'capitalists' you mean 'anyone with a private pension', then sure we can force pensioners back into work, but that doesn't seem very left wing.

Don't be wilfully dense.

Nobody's coming to murder your gran for the crime of having a pension in the form of private investments. Nobody's proposing taking those investments off her and then leaving her with no form of support beyond the suggestion that she just get a job.

I don't know who this post was even for.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Purple Prince posted:

I disagree, because the reason Marx talks about the capitalist and proletarian classes in Das Kapital is to look at the economic system of capitalism. In Marx's day, absent the social democratic measures we have now, it was easy to separate the two classes. But that separation is not about having a small capitalist class against a mass of workers, it's about identifying the conflict between the classes.

Our current system is one in which capital ownership is no longer confined to a small elite but rather interpenetrates all of society. In many cases, people can have features of the capital owning class and the working class (I have previously argued this is what defines the middle class), and therefore the conflict between classes is one of competing interests under late capitalism, and a major building block of any revolution under late capitalism must be identifying and reforming the capitalist within ourselves.

For the purpose of actually understanding how material interests influence the way people think it's no longer useful to restrict "capitalist" to a small and easy to hate elite: we have to identify and purge our own inner capitalists.

Capital ownership, ownership of the means of production, is what makes you a capitalist, and the definition I used above is just shorthand for that.

E: Just realised I'm echoing the Marquis de Sade as written in Marat/Sade, which is an awesome play which everyone should watch the recording of (it used to be easy to find on YouTube).

Ok cool so you're deliberately muddying the waters, thanks for clarifying.

The above post is just the :words: version of

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Smeef posted:

Cummings has a broken brain. I read some of his posts going back. It seems like he had a bad experience with UK bureaucracy (I can confirm firsthand that professional interaction with UK bureaucracies can break brains). His solution is to burn it down and rebuild it as fast as possible by giving carte blanche to a bunch of theoretical physicists, coders, master mega-project managers (who rather paradoxically he also thinks do not exist), and other esoteric technical types who have zero relevant domain expertise.

So he wants to do a Tesla on the civil service, basically? RIP :tesla:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As I was away and off news for a few days, and as the US have started changing the story about what happened in Iraq to bring about the assassination of QS, it's getting harder to discover what really happened.

From glances at the news a couple of days ago, I kinda had the notion that some Iranians held a protest outside the US Embassy in Baghdad but now it's being briefed out as an 'attack' 'justifying' the assassination. Is my memory correct or was it an 'attack' from the start?

My (admittedly muddy) understanding is that Iraqi citizens (who were either involved with or supported by Iranian militias) were protesting outside the US embassy in Baghdad. About what, I'm not certain, I wasn't paying attention early enough to catch that.

It was definitely reported as a protest at first though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

thespaceinvader posted:

Not it just turns out that the one guy was The Master all along and yawn

Wait they did that a second time?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

baka kaba posted:

what if you add it and then go back in to remove it? might clear whatever's up

I know a new challenger has stepped up to try and wrangle the forums code lately though, maybe something's going on with that

Yo bk since QCS is shut down where can I complain leave constructive criticism about awful app

Anyway my complaint is I read the forums too much and now I've got the header/footer bars and post button burned into my screen

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

baka kaba posted:

take that to QCS!!!! the app's nothing to do with the main site I dunno if any of us ever even looked in there

you can turn on Immersive Mode in the Device and Navigation settings and that'll hide the status bar and the nav buttons, and you can turn off the floating post button too (post option will be in the menu). Making the title bar and stuff slide out of the way was a no-go last time we tried it, for reasons, but maybe later if stuff changes. Might be getting light themes maybe!

goondolences on your OLED screen though

Oh neat I just wanted to gripe, I didn't think you'd actually have an answer!

I actually just trashed the burned phone last week cause the glass was smashed too, so it's fine really. I'll turn those options on to save this one though, thanks for the response!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The only way this looks at all cyberpunk is because the shots presened contain concrete, crates, dirt, and what appears to be some flavour of Eastern bazaar.

e/ the real life year 2085 will probably contain far less neon than anyone imagined, one way or another

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of right wing twats weaponizing performatively working class things, I just got reminded that this was a thing that happened in the 00s and was something that I managed to be blissfully unaware of how blatant it got at the time.
https://twitter.com/samisam147/status/1219943058990686208

1: wow what the actual gently caress, but also I shouldn't be surprised

2: some pedant in the comments with ":actually: I know this girl and she's not from Manchester, she's from Salford :smugbert:", dude is this seriously what you're focusing on here

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Maugrim posted:

Thanks for the fudge, mine arrived this morning and it's very good - having to resist scoffing it all at once!

Although the sea salt one should come with a warning not to sample it after you've already desensitised your taste buds trying four other kinds of fudge. :v:

How do I get on Camrath's fudge list?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Camrath posted:

Anyone have any ideas, desires or good lefty puns for the Valentines goon special?

Love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal helping of sugar

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Unkempt posted:

Baywatch didn't start til 1989. I'd had about 5 computers before that.

Yeah, the bit about computers is the standout anachronism, everything else is fairly consistent.

My family was always somewhat behind in technology but even we had a beige box in the corner of the dining room that could play solitaire.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, there are cufflinks too, and necklaces are certainly accepted in some cultures. Anyway, I'm kinda disappointed none of these people seem to have even attempted to wear a literal crown. Like, what the hell are you doing, that's like the ultimate symbol of what they're trying to present themselves as.

A crown draws attention to the head, and suggests the neck :thermidor:

thespaceinvader posted:

(Also wedding rings are acceptable thank gently caress, but any other ring definitely Raises Questions. I stopped wearing my other ring, but mostly because it doesn't fit all that well and it kept falling off, I kind of miss it, I made it, it's nice.)

Rings are fine, stop hanging out with fragile homophobes. e/ or with your boomer parents, who will flip the gently caress out if you put anything on your left ring finger if you're not married.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 25, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
All I really want from an analogue timepiece is a 24 hour face with 12 noon at the top and midnight at the bottom where it makes sense for them to be.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

BalloonFish posted:

Just get the cockpit clock from a WW2 Corsair naval fighter, like I did...easy to acquire so long as (like me) your grandfather pinched one from stores before he was demobbed in 1946.

That has midnight at the top!

I can't deny it's rad though, congrats on your baller time-tell

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

maybe if people weren't living until they're 85 this wouldn't be a problem. makes u think

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1220696092532187136?s=20

This dumb take always makes me think of this:

Nobody ever remembers to bring the inexhaustible labour force of robots.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's star wars, the first planet being really dull is a tradition

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's more specifically pointed out in the final battle in Return Of The Jedi, where the Rebels are explicitly shown to be a multi-species alliance with the battle commanded by a non-human, and of course the Viet Cong Furry Division are the ones wot won it.

Lucas' greatest crime was getting rid of yub nub.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've been consistently £100 deep in mine for the last year, I keep almost getting out and then a surprise expenditure pops up. Time to go back to eating instant noodles for a few months I guess.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Julio Cruz posted:

how well does an automated scanning system work when your ballot papers have randomised orders?

OCR reader or put a barcode next to the candidate name. is plenty, you've only got a limited number of things it had to match against so it doesn't even need to be very good OCR

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

thespaceinvader posted:

yeah IIRC this one was full screen and didn't easily allow tabbing out, but didn't account dfor the fact that you could just have another browser open in another screen.

The whole interview process is absurd, it's practically custom designed to find people who are good at selling themselves, but at best mediocre at the job.

God I wish more jobs did trial weeks or similar - but conversely, that woudl suck if you were currently working, taking a week or a month off to apply for a new job would be awful.

Similarly, I wish more industries accepted entry-level applications from people without a specific education and/or experience in that area. One thing I'm trying to do at the moment is move into a more creative space than my previous career in admin, because it's mind numbing and awful, and I want to make stuff, but getting any kind of work in that area seems to involve some combination of magic, money, and nepotism, and I don't have any of the above.

I recently saw someone on twitter comment that the hardest job in the world is being unemployed, and it's really couldn't be more true. No actual job I've ever done has stressed me out or crushed my spirit so thoroughly as looking for work does.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not quite the same thing, but when I was unemployed the DWP managed to put me on a computer course to get an actual qualification - I've been using computers since I was about 8, but didn't pursue any ICT above any mandatory GCSE level - although I think they cocked up because they enrolled me on a course for people who had literally never touched a computer before in their entire lives.

FYI this wasn't a mistake, that's literally the only IT course they have. The DWP don't offer any kind of training above the absolute most basic level, because if you had any skills at all you wouldn't be out of work would you, you worthless piece of poo poo?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Hard agree, punching nazis is very good

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

House prices:

There's an interesting article in the Heil money pages on house prices over 174 years
Title for those who wish to read it is: "What happened to house prices over the past 174 years - and why did they once spend 70 years getting cheaper?"

It considers number of houses, sizes of houses, incomes, interest rates.
Graph lifted from the article below

Conclusion:

Overlay this with that wage/productivity divergence graph and this doesn't seem like a terrible conclusion.

e/ of course most of the last 50 years of stolen wages exists as consolidated wealth now, we're not going to get wages back up to where they ought to be unless we start redistributing that money.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 30, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Saros posted:

All the Jobschat makes me think there should be a UKMT jobs aggregator or something (maybe on the discord?) The company I work for hires regularly and is a decent place to work but there's not really anywhere to post stuff up around here and the thread moves fast enough stuff just falls off.

I'd be interested in that, not least because I'm looking for a career change. Feel kind of wasted where I'm at.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

The UK is going to be a housing design innovator post-Brexit.

My worry is what happens when London landlords get their hands on the design.

Have we tried just not confiscating their tents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

BalloonFish posted:

Just the other day I heard "Once we're out we should lend support to anti-EU parties in other European countries, help them leave then form a trade block to counterbalance the rest of the EU, so they can't push us around :downs: "

So, yes.

We'll form our own EU, with blackjack, and hookers!